HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Eye opening comments from last nights game v. Pens

Old
01-30-2013, 11:37 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Eye opening comments from last nights game v. Pens

As much as some of us like to bash Snow/Capuano the announcers really did a good job opening up my eyes to some very valid points. I give Snow even more credit considering we got Moulson,Grabner,Nabokov, for basically nothing and this year alone Hickey,Aucoin and Strait again for nothing and considering Aucoin and Strait are playing important minutes (Hickey to early to tell) it makes you wonder how many other teams could have pulled this off? And for Cappy to infuse these players into our lineup with very little time and make it work, i say kudos to both of them no matter how we finish this season. I really believe most GM'S/Coaches could have done so much with so little.

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:48 AM
scott99

Have to agree with this. For this team to play so cohesive with all the new faces, and not just blend together so well, but to produce at a fairly high level, it's nice to see. I think Strait has been our 3rd best d-man so far (behind Hamonic and MacDonald), and Hickey has impressed the last two games. Aucoin has been a pleasant surprise, he's producing, and is pretty darn good in the faceoff circle. I really didn't know about Aucoin and Strait, good scouting by Snow and co.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:03 PM
kasper11

Well, there is a lot of luck with waiver pickups as well. If Pittsburgh had an injury pre-season, we wouldn't have Strait right now and our defense would be suffering. Same with Aucoin up front. Snow put the team in a position where it had to be lucky.

That said, Snow has proven to be adept at identifying talent, or at least listening to the right scouts. Moulson, Grabner, PAP, Strait, Aucoin had all done nothing at the NHL level, but Snow saw something and added the right players. He deserves credit for that, but he shouldn't get a pass for going into the season with a roster that had so many hole he plugged in 4 waiver wire pickups.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:14 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Well, there is a lot of luck with waiver pickups as well. If Pittsburgh had an injury pre-season, we wouldn't have Strait right now and our defense would be suffering. Same with Aucoin up front. Snow put the team in a position where it had to be lucky.

That said, Snow has proven to be adept at identifying talent, or at least listening to the right scouts. Moulson, Grabner, PAP, Strait, Aucoin had all done nothing at the NHL level, but Snow saw something and added the right players. He deserves credit for that, but he shouldn't get a pass for going into the season with a roster that had so many hole he plugged in 4 waiver wire pickups.
Well i can give him a pass purely for the fact that he expected to have Bailey,Visnovsky and Joensuu out there and even though he knew 2 were hurt the Islanders were not going to sign players on a interim basis just til they go back that would be ludicrous.

Every time i hear/see/use the word Ludicrous i think of this lol.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Islanders1932

Its also pretty amazing to think how long we have been rebuilding for. Imagine where we would be without those waiver wire pick ups: Moulson, Grabner, Nabakov. Just think what our lineup would look like.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:20 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

IMHO, it breaks down this way

Credit:
- Exploiting the injuries & holdout to make room for waiver pickups. That was smart.

Criticism:
- Having holes exist that should have been filled with better players via free agency last July, and by trades by now.
- If we had improved to the tenth waiver slot... no way do we get all three of these guys, let alone even one. Was it a plan to suck the past three years so we could get Grabs, etc. off the wire? I don't think it was, more dumb luck allowing us to collect the door prize for worst costume at the party.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:21 PM
bigd

Snow has been forced to look at the waiver wire as his own personal draft. The Islanders aren't on any top free agents list on where to sign. They need to build through the draft and waiver aquisitions and if they can become competitive again, and moving to a new facility, the top free agents will eventually come.

bigd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Original Rob

Those announcers had probably watched fewer than 5 minutes of Islanders hockey this year and before they heaped on the praise of Garf and co. They made it sound like it's a good thing 20% of the Isles roster was picked off the waiver wire days before the season... But anyway let's keep the good times rollin'!

Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:47 PM
scott99

The Moulson & Grabner pickups may be the best in the last decade. A 30 goal scorer and a 20 goal scorer, for free. And I don't think Grabner has reached his ceiling yet.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:52 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
The Moulson & Grabner pickups may be the best in the last decade. A 30 goal scorer and a 20 goal scorer, for free. And I don't think Grabner has reached his ceiling yet.
Grabner scored 34 (2 years ago). But he was on waivers so he is lousy, and the manner in which he was acquired should be ridiculed and punished.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:02 PM
StrongIslanders90

Dont over Look Dougie Wieght and Thompson...

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:13 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Grabner scored 34 (2 years ago). But he was on waivers so he is lousy, and the manner in which he was acquired should be ridiculed and punished.
I have a feeling Strait is going to join that Moulson/Grabner group. I've been really impressed with his play. Much more than any of the other pickups this year, including Aucoin.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:20 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Did we pick them up on waiver too?

bigd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:24 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I think they've been the biggest reason for the success in this short season. They really know how to coach their respective special teams. I've always loved Brent Thompson, and I respect Doug Weight.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:48 PM
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch

I stopped listening to their comments when they showed the old clip of Super Mario breaking through the Isles 'D' and called Rich Pilon - Rich Pylon.

7:11 of OT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Puckzilla13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7:11 of OT View Post
I stopped listening to their comments when they showed the old clip of Super Mario breaking through the Isles 'D' and called Rich Pilon - Rich Pylon.
I cracked up when I heard that.

Puckzilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Did we pick them up on waiver too?
Thompson was a waiver pick up.

Nate Thompson, that is.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7:11 of OT View Post
To be fair, Pilon did look like a pylon towards the end of his career.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:06 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
nobody understood why florida placed him on waivers. I mean, he was the central return piece for ballard (who was thought to have value back then). He had scored 5 goals in his first 20 games and played well on van's 2nd line as well as 2nd pp unit. Not really a guy i would expose to waivers.

luki here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:28 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
IMHO, it breaks down this way

Credit:
- Exploiting the injuries & holdout to make room for waiver pickups. That was smart.

Criticism:
- Having holes exist that should have been filled with better players via free agency last July, and by trades by now.
- If we had improved to the tenth waiver slot... no way do we get all three of these guys, let alone even one. Was it a plan to suck the past three years so we could get Grabs, etc. off the wire? I don't think it was, more dumb luck allowing us to collect the door prize for worst costume at the party.
What trades were you looking for? Our kids? that's all we have to bargain with unless your speaking of draft picks in which either case it costs Wang money and that's my point. My point is that Wang holds the purse strings and unless he is telling Snow pick up whoever you want or sign whoever you want and for some odd reason since it is not Snow's money he is reluctant to spend Wang's to make this team better? That i find very hard to believe however Wang telling Snow lets keep this to the bare minimum seems much more likely.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:44 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
What trades were you looking for? Our kids? that's all we have to bargain with unless your speaking of draft picks in which either case it costs Wang money and that's my point. My point is that Wang holds the purse strings and unless he is telling Snow pick up whoever you want or sign whoever you want and for some odd reason since it is not Snow's money he is reluctant to spend Wang's to make this team better? That i find very hard to believe however Wang telling Snow lets keep this to the bare minimum seems much more likely.
He's always saying that. His criticism always stems from something Snow has nothing to do with. It's honestly like blaming the farmer for sour milk even though it's coming from the cow. Free agency is a crap shoot. Without the desire of the player to play here it's a dead end. Trading away for holes, especially defenseman, you can see how depleted it makes your roster because they are so valued. Just ignore this guy...

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:24 AM
Baeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Iirc Moulson was an FA signing.

Baeron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:38 AM
OpAck

I don't necessarily get the complaint that "Well, Snow should've just signed better free agents instead of these waiver wire pickups!" We should know by now that better UFA's are just not going to sign with us, even if we overpay. Doesn't mean Snow hasn't tried to get them here and entice them. And I expect things will change if this team continues to play well and moves to Brooklyn.

Oh and, "Well if the UFA's aren't going to sign with us...Garth needs to trade for these better players!". Which is wonderful, and I'm sure Garth hangs up on the GM on the other line when he starts asking for guys like Strome, Nino, Hamonic, 1st rounders, or even Tavares in return. It's obvious people don't understand what goes into making a trade. Garth can't call Edmonton up and say, "Hey, we like this Eberle kid...I'll give you Bailey and ohhhhh, a 4th rounder for him? Deal? Nice, thanks for doing business!" Isles are well stocked in young players/prospects...GMs are smart and it'll probably take an overpayment of two of our top 5 prospects and a pick just to get an established top-6 forward or top-4 dman in return.

Snow, quite simply, has done the best he can with what he's got. He's made plenty of mistakes, especially earlier on...but he's made some pretty impressive acquisitions (Grabner, Moulson, Aucoin, Strait, Hickey, Streit, Nabokov, PAP etc and gave up nothing). I feel he's even better on the contract side of things. How he gets JT to sign a year early, to a 6 year, $33M deal is beyond me. That signing was a huge morale boost for the franchise. After seeing this team dish out ridiculous contracts to Yashin and DiPietro, they seem to have finally gotten it right with these young kids and keeping them happy (Nino is a different story). And how the Nabby situation was diffused...to the point that he ended up signing an extension with us and becoming a fan favorite? How anyone can say Snow is as bad as Milbury was, is beyond me. He's not even close to being the worst GM in the league today. Some might even say he's one of the better ones.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:54 AM
2LeftSkates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baeron View Post
Iirc Moulson was an FA signing.
Moulson was signed to be a depth forward in Bridgeport. He played his way onto the big league team, Garth gets credit for noticing the guy who was(still is) putting pucks behind the goalie.

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote