HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Datysuk-Chara Straight up

Old
01-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

vCash: 500
Datstyuk and Bergeron on the same line

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:00 AM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Geez, I like Datsyuk but It'd be a toss up between him and Zetterberg in the first place for me, let alone many other prolific centers.
While you are correct that is a very nice problem to have two legit #1 centers, if you would take Zetterberg over Datsyuk then it is clear you don't watch a lot of Detroit games. The young guys mentioned, like Toews, are good, but unless we are talking who is more valuable over the next 15 years, then they aren't even in the conversation with Datsyuk.

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:01 AM
M Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Bad for Boston. They'll get more years out of Chara, and he plays a more important role IMO.
Are you aware of that Chara is one year older than Datsyuk?

M Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:30 AM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Chara is an undisputed number 1 DMan in the league and there aren't many defenseman I would take above Chara at this point in time. Now, how many centerman would you take above Datsyuk? The value really isn't there.
For me only one, Crosby and that is it. Datsyuk is the most complete player in the game today.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:31 AM
silkyjohnson50*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
While you are correct that is a very nice problem to have two legit #1 centers, if you would take Zetterberg over Datsyuk then it is clear you don't watch a lot of Detroit games. The young guys mentioned, like Toews, are good, but unless we are talking who is more valuable over the next 15 years, then they aren't even in the conversation with Datsyuk.
Correct. The only reason Detroit has a few wins lately is because Datsyuk has taken those games over.

In case anyone hasn't been watching, Datsyuk is still the best 2-way center in the game.

silkyjohnson50* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:31 AM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
Getzlaf, Stamkos, Tavares, Giroux, Seguin aren't even worth mentioning?
Not including age or contracts I take Dats over them easily.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:39 AM
416Leafer

Ignoring age, team needs, and the salary cap...

Hard to say which player is more valuable. Chara is a top 2-3 Dman over the last 5+ years. But on the flipside, Datsyuk is a top 2-3 forward over the same time frame.

Physical towering elite two-way defenceman with one of the best point shots in the game?

Or savvy elite two-way forward (emphasis on the elite defensive side of his game, he won the Selke three years straight) capable of putting up over PPG numbers.

I guess it comes down to which position you prefer, since they're both among the best of the best at their respective positions. Values pretty fair to me (again, ignoring age, team needs, etc).

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:44 AM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

I'll always take the elite shut down defenseman over the elite two way center. I love Datysuk but I think Z will play 5 more years, I don't know how much longer Datysuk will stay in this league.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Remember2004

Quote:
Chara is an undisputed number 1 DMan in the league and there aren't many defenseman I would take above Chara at this point in time. Now, how many centerman would you take above Datsyuk? The value really isn't there.
I would only take 3 center men over Dats. Crosby,Stamkos or Malkin and there would be 2 D over or on the same level. I would have a hard choice deciding between Chara, Weber or Doughty.

Remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:22 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Nope. I don't want to do this.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:29 PM
spuzzum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember2004 View Post
I would only take 3 center men over Dats. Crosby,Stamkos or Malkin and there would be 2 D over or on the same level. I would have a hard choice deciding between Chara, Weber or Doughty.
You can probably add Giroux to your list of centers - although Dats is for sure the best 2 way player in the league.

Chara and Weber are on a completely higher level than Doughty or any other d-man in the league.

spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:53 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
Chara's game isn't about skating so the drop-off there won't hurt him much, and he will never lose that reach and positioning. He's a fitness freak who climbs mountains for fun, so I think he can easily play until 40.
Yah I don't really see conditioning or him breaking down as being a issue at all either. He's an extremely dedicated guy. The whole my body is a temple thing. Remember reading somewhere that he allows himself one m&m a month as a treat lol

The Dangley One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Jurky
The Human Genius

vCash: 77
I think the value is there or close, but neither team does this. Both Chara and Datsyuk are wayyy to important to their respective teams. From a Detroit POV they'd be filling a massive whole on the backend while creating an evener bigger one up front.

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:03 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Boston wouldn't trade Chara for anyone. Literally. Their team as a whole is built around his presence on the back end, and they've had way too much success with him there to gamble on having Dennis Seidenberg take his place. The step down from Chara to even a middle-of-the-road #1 defenseman (say, Phaneuf or Yandle) is absolutely enormous, let alone the step down to a depth player.

I suspect you could offer Crosby or Malkin here and the Bruins would probably still refuse. There's just no sense in moving a top-end franchise defenseman when you're lucky enough to have one. You can always take shots at scoring a serviceable top center in the draft or free agent market.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:11 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

I'd say Chara is the better player right now and will be better in the future. I think Datsyuk is easily still elite and one of the most complete players, but I have Chara pegged as the best dman in the world...better then Weber, Karlsson, Letang, Suter, etc. I would place Dats in the top 5 of best forwards, but definitely not #1.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:13 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimuspaul View Post
I think the value is there or close, but neither team does this. Both Chara and Datsyuk are wayyy to important to their respective teams. From a Detroit POV they'd be filling a massive whole on the backend while creating an evener bigger one up front.
Maybe, but as a Hawks fan who's watched plenty of Detroit games I'd much rather go up against the current wings with Datsyuk than have to go up against them with Chara sans Pavel. I don't mind Datsyuk "taking over" a some games whereas having our top 6 run into Chara all night long seems like a bigger nightmare.

deytookerjaabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:16 PM
MarchandNoseBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Boston wouldn't trade Chara for anyone. Literally. Their team as a whole is built around his presence on the back end, and they've had way too much success with him there to gamble on having Dennis Seidenberg take his place. The step down from Chara to even a middle-of-the-road #1 defenseman (say, Phaneuf or Yandle) is absolutely enormous, let alone the step down to a depth player.

I suspect you could offer Crosby or Malkin here and the Bruins would probably still refuse. There's just no sense in moving a top-end franchise defenseman when you're lucky enough to have one. You can always take shots at scoring a serviceable top center in the draft or free agent market.
This, though I would imagine Boston would do Crosby or Malkin for Chara. It'd HAVE to be something excessive like that though: a player just as good AND a decade younger because of how important Chara's role is to the Bruins.

MarchandNoseBest is offline   Reply With Quote