HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part V)

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 01:39 PM
BrodeursCups
Almost showtime...

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Richey View Post
Let's not forget that Matteau is 18, has only been with the team for a little over 2 weeks, is playing in a new system and in the NHL for the first time. Considering the circumstances he's done a pretty good job. He's only going to get better if they decide to keep him.
Completely agree. I think its comical to read all the people who are worried about something as petty as burning a year off of a contract. That is absolutely the last thing Lou gives a **** about right now. He'll make the decision which will best help the player's development.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:42 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

It's only petty until he becomes UFA at 25 instead of 26.

I'm still not convinced he's staying until he's in the lineup tomorrow. They may just want to give him a 'Larsson vacation' and have him spend another couple weeks with Zubie and friends before sending him back.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:44 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Sandwiches View Post
If Cam got sent down to make room for Henrique, that's good.

If Cam got sent down to make room for Darche, I'll be pissed.

... and that's all that needs to be said really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice

Lamoriello on Matteau: "“He will not be going back immediately and we’re not going to let his contract status get in the way."

What does that even mean haha...
It means that Lou will pull a "Larsson" (AKA send him in the pressbox to eat some popcorn) with Matteau and keep him until he sorts something out

Old
01-30-2013, 01:46 PM
BrodeursCups
Almost showtime...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
It's only petty until he becomes UFA at 25 instead of 26.

I'm still not convinced he's staying until he's in the lineup tomorrow. They may just want to give him a 'Larsson vacation' and have him spend another couple weeks with Zubie and friends before sending him back.
That'll really destroy the franchise. I'm sure Lou is losing a lot of sleep over it....

Old
01-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNDevil View Post
I prefer to follow Goalvachuk lol.

Goal Valchuk ‏@Goalvalchuk
I waivers to Cam Janssen every day in locker room. Not see the big deal.
I'm convinced Goalvalchuk is Abo in twitter form.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:52 PM
CerebralGenesis

No one really cared about Madden and Rafalski being UFA isntead of RFA either until they left sooner.

But they must really not like Darche then.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil X View Post
Guess it means he will be staying and if he gets sent down after 15 or 20 games and we burn a year then so be it.
Lou is not at all worried about losing that year of Matteau's contract, apparently. Which, frankly, should come as a surprise to no one.

I expect him to continue to play, for us to burn his contract year, and for him to stick until he doesn't, at which point we'll send him back.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Janssen has a 2-way contract so they could have just sent him down, but knowing Lou he's probably giving him a shot to get picked up somewhere else in the NHL before sending him down

....or pulling off a LeBlond or Janssen 1.0 trade
Two-way deals have absolutely nothing to with waivers.

The only thing that two-way deals influence is salary in the minors. A player on a one-way deal gets his full NHL salary in the minors, a player on a two-way deal gets paid differently if sent to the minors.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Nick0930

I ****ing hate Lou but I ****ing love him at the same time.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Lou sending down Janssen tells me this might be him starting to make an assessment on the team. I like it.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:01 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
That'll really destroy the franchise. I'm sure Lou is losing a lot of sleep over it....
No need to be snippy, if it wasn't a concern he would have already made the roster for good, instead of this 'probably yes, probably no' vagueness. He's certainly better than our alternatives unless Lou brings in a handful of other forwards lol

Old
01-30-2013, 02:02 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
No need to be snippy, if it wasn't a concern he would have already made the roster for good, instead of this 'probably yes, probably no' vagueness. He's certainly better than our alternatives unless Lou brings in a handful of other forwards lol
This isn't vagueness. This is Lou saying we like him for now, we don't know if he'll be on the roster all year long, but we're planning on keeping him despite losing the contract year and in the event we have a better option we'll send him back down.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:05 PM
Zippy316

I hope the Devils claim Boychuk.

He's a lefty and can play left wing. Something we sorely need.

In my opinion, you claim him you play him (in place of Matteau) until Henrique gets back. If he impresses, then he solidifies the team and you send Matteau back to the Q. If not, you send him down on waivers and he either helps Albany or gets claimed by someone else. Either or, he's still 22, so there's some upside there and we are starving for forwards. He comes for free as well.

How do they update the waiver status, like who gets priority in claims? Do they do it daily or weekly? I don't know if Boychuk will fall down to the late 20s which we will be in if its the former.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:06 PM
CerebralGenesis

Can you send him down midway through the year? I didn't think you could do that.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Two-way deals have absolutely nothing to with waivers.

The only thing that two-way deals influence is salary in the minors. A player on a one-way deal gets his full NHL salary in the minors, a player on a two-way deal gets paid differently if sent to the minors.
I think the only ones exempt from waivers are those on entry level deals. Is that right?

Old
01-30-2013, 02:10 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
This isn't vagueness. This is Lou saying we like him for now, we don't know if he'll be on the roster all year long, but we're planning on keeping him despite losing the contract year and in the event we have a better option we'll send him back down.
They didn't say he was going to play tomorrow or ever, that's vague.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I think the only ones exempt from waivers are those on entry level deals. Is that right?
There is some kind of rule.

It's like a mixture between games played and age when the deal was signed. Entry-level deals are exempt from waivers though, I know that for a fact. EDIT: Actually that's wrong. Entry-level deals are not exempt from waivers, but the article stated this: *If an 18 or 19 year old plays in 11 or more NHL games in a season, then the eligible period drops to 4 years for a goalie and 3 years for a skater, with the first year of that period being the year in which the player played 11 or more games. So there's no possible way for a player to start in the NHL/AHL at 18/19 and not be waiver exempt by the time entry-level deal expires.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...ide-to-the-nhl

^^Pretty informative. Ignore the re-entry waiver stuff though as they disbanded those in this CBA.

Last edited by Zippy316: 01-30-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Devil X
Next man up!

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Quote:
How do they update the waiver status, like who gets priority in claims? Do they do it daily or weekly? I don't know if Boychuk will fall down to the late 20s which we will be in if its the former.
I believe its by points worst to best. Not sure how games played is worked into that if at all. Its also 24 hours so at noon tomorrow you will know if he was claimed or not by anyone.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:21 PM
AirheadPete

Quote:

In my opinion, you claim him you play him (in place of Matteau) until Henrique gets back. If he impresses, then he solidifies the team and you send Matteau back to the Q. If not, you send him down on waivers and he either helps Albany or gets claimed by someone else. Either or, he's still 22, so there's some upside there and we are starving for forwards. He comes for free as well.

i dont think boychuk would make it to NJ in the waiver claim priority even if they did put in for him.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Banana Sandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
Matteau has played 8:28 a game. I see no reason why you burn a year of contract for a player that can't play significant minutes for the team.
Who is to say that's all he would continue playing if he stayed up for the whole season?

Adam Henrique wasn't getting tons of ice time in his first few NHL games either. But once he got more comfortable and started clicking with Kovalchuk and Parise, he started getting tons more minutes. I have to imagine Matteau would get better as the season went on and would get more ice time.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:41 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Sandwiches View Post
Who is to say that's all he would continue playing if he stayed up for the whole season?

Adam Henrique wasn't getting tons of ice time in his first few NHL games either. But once he got more comfortable and started clicking with Kovalchuk and Parise, he started getting tons more minutes. I have to imagine Matteau would get better as the season went on and would get more ice time.
Henrique was 21 and was great in the AHL the previous season.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:41 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post

That was too easy.
so disappointed in this board, getzo. At least you get me

Old
01-30-2013, 02:42 PM
Banana Sandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Makes Zero sense. He hasnt played one game and some of you hate him already
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
No idea.
Quote:
Why, either one is an improvement over Cam?
I don't care if Darche is better than Janssen. He's not going to make a difference whatsoever and he probably won't sniff more than 7 or 8 minutes a game. He's not going to score a bunch of goals and he's not exactly the next Selke winner out there either.

He's essentially what Jay Pandolfo was in his last year or so here. Except Pandolfo was actually one very serviceable which is why I didn't mind him.

Lou and Pete have seen Cam play enough to know what type of player he is going into the season. If they had to wait this long to think about signing Darche, then how helpful can Darche possibly be?

If the 4th line isn't going to play much anyway, I rather have someone entertaining like Cam on it than Darche. I'm not buying how good or helpful or how "solid defensively" Darche is.

Hell, bring back John Madden out of retirement or sign Pandolfo if you're really interested in Darche.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:46 PM
BrodeursCups
Almost showtime...

Quote:
Not even remotely true. The contract situation X years down the road has no bearing on this situation in Lou's mind...

Old
01-30-2013, 02:47 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:

yes, absolutely. if only we had a franchise, skilled left winger…

oh wait, we do. except he’s playing RW like a jagoff. boy that OT goal against Washington was nice, wasn’t it?

ridiculous

Closed Thread