HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mtl-buf

Old
01-30-2013, 07:26 AM
Drydenwasthebest

vCash: 500
Neither team does the deal. This trade does not take into account Buffalo's needs, and ignores Montreal's desire to shed salary, to a degree. The Habs are also doing a mini-rebuild, 7 million for Vanek along with a 1st in a deep draft, a previous 1st rounder who is Francophone AND developing well, plus a player already proving he can play well in the Big Leagues is the kind of payment Bergevin will not consider at this point.

Vanek is very good. The offer is not good enough. It is far from insulting, though.

Drydenwasthebest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:29 AM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
lol @ Leafs fans
lol @ habs fans... nough said

Galchenyuk in a Vanek trade would be more appropriate (if we ignore all team needs)

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:34 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post

Galchenyuk in a Vanek trade would be more appropriate (if we ignore all team needs)
Sabres fans don't endorse this. We recognize there's no way Habs fans are giving up seven years of team control over Galchenyuk, including three at a team-friendly price, for Vanek and his cap hit for 1.5 years.

We'd love it, but know it won't happen.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:02 AM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Sabres fans don't endorse this. We recognize there's no way Habs fans are giving up seven years of team control over Galchenyuk, including three at a team-friendly price, for Vanek and his cap hit for 1.5 years.

We'd love it, but know it won't happen.
Pretty much this. I have a feeling both Vanek and Pominville will re sign with the Sabres though. I don't think they're the problem in Buffalo.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:03 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastman View Post
Vanek

for

Gallagher
Beaulieu
1st in 2013
I like Vanek, but I'll keep the youth.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:04 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post

As a Habs fan I am not certain what I have said that deserves such laughter.

Galchenyuk is a "no, thank you" for what I hope are obvious reasons. If you don't know the reasons, and can stop laughing at me, I can explain.

Drydenwasthebest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:09 AM
sharks9

No way from the Habs. Gallagher has been great so far, Beaulieu is coming along well and we're not winning the Stanley Cup this year so why give up our 1st rounder?

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:32 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

The Sabres would most probably refuse this trade and so such the Habs. We are still in a rebuilding phase and it's not because we started off the season 4-1 that we should look to move 2 of our best prospects and a 1st round pick which can still be very high since it's only been 5 games!! Relax folks!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:06 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
love vanek, but this doesn't do it for either team

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
As a Buffalo fan who believes we should embrace a true rebuilding process... this is the type of deal I would look for (very good prospect + 1st rounder + sweetener)

That said, this deal doesn't include the assets I'd want... nor would trading Vanek to a division rival be acceptable

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:20 AM
glenbuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Even without Vanek : Cap Hell next season.
Not that i want Vanek but why do you think were in cap hell next year. I know it's dropping from 70-64. Kaberle if not traded(i think he will be), can be bought out. Between Gomez and Kaberle there is 11.5 gone.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:52 AM
lamp9post

Habs can't fit in Vanek without sending salary the other way, so it's unlikely at best.

It's also probably not enticing enough for the Sabres to trade away a player of Vanek's caliber, HOWEVER, if he's still not signed in a year's time, this deal will be the absolute best they could hope for. Something Regier will have to think about in the near future.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:19 PM
centrehice

haha scraps? Insulting?

Anyone talking about how "terrible" the value is, doesn't know what they're talking about.

Gallagher, while a 5th round pick, is a stud. If he wasn't so short, he would have gone MUCH higher in the draft. He tore up the WHL, and was leading the Bulldogs as a rookie. Then he makes the habs, and is a point a game so far, and one of the leaders in hits.

Beaulieu is a former first rounder, who is looking good, and will be on the habs soon.

So, essentially:

2 first round picks and top prospect for 1.5 years of an overpaid (not this year, but he hasn't been a 7+ million dollar man the last 3 years) Vanek.

Look at what other rental players like Hossa and Kovalchuk made with a year left in their deals, and you'll get a BALLPARK for what Buffalo would be looking for.

Besides the 1st rounders, the prospects didn't really pan out.

I'm not saying that Buffalo would take this trade, but I don't think Montreal would even consider it. The salary is CRAZY lopsided, and giving up soooo many future assests for 1.5 years of Vanek... not exactly rebuiding

The people who are saying it's "a first and scraps" are completely clueless, and anyone who knows ALL of the players involved in the proposal, are laughing at you.

Last edited by centrehice: 01-30-2013 at 12:29 PM.
centrehice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by centrehice View Post
haha scraps? Insulting?

Anyone talking about how "terrible" the value is, doesn't know what they're talking about.

Gallagher, while a 5th round pick, is a stud. If he wasn't so short, he would have gone MUCH higher in the draft. He tore up the WHL, and was leading the Bulldogs as a rookie. Then he makes the habs, and is a point a game so far, and one of the leaders in hits.

Beaulieu is a former first rounder, who is looking good, and will be on the habs soon.

So, essentially:

2 first round picks and top prospect for 1.5 years of an overpaid (not this year, but he hasn't been a 7+ million dollar man the last 3 years) Vanek.

Look at what other rental players like Hossa and Kovalchuk made with a year left in their deals, and you'll get a BALLPARK for what Buffalo would be looking for.

Besides the 1st rounders, the prospects didn't really pan out.

I'm not saying that Buffalo would take this trade, but I don't think Montreal would even consider it. The salary is CRAZY lopsided, and giving up soooo many future assests for 1.5 years of Vanek... not exactly rebuiding

The people who are saying it's "a first and scraps" are completely clueless, and anyone who knows ALL of the players involved in the proposal, are laughing at you.
considering you would be getting 1.5 years of Vanek, vs 0.5 years of Hossa/Kovy.... the value seems pretty accurate.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:00 PM
centrehice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
considering you would be getting 1.5 years of Vanek, vs 0.5 years of Hossa/Kovy.... the value seems pretty accurate.
I never said it was an overpayment. My main point was that the package wasn't "scraps" like some people were making it out to be.

centrehice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
Habs can't fit in Vanek without sending salary the other way, so it's unlikely at best.

It's also probably not enticing enough for the Sabres to trade away a player of Vanek's caliber, HOWEVER, if he's still not signed in a year's time, this deal will be the absolute best they could hope for. Something Regier will have to think about in the near future.
In the hypothetical world of Vanek and Pommenville next year being in a walk years at that trade deadline it would turn into what you will be seeing in anaheim with Perry and Getz.

Buffalo will try to keep both, if not then they will entertain offers on one and signing the other.

Thus bidding war would ensue and they would get more than what is being offered in this trade proposal.
Maybe by next year Buffalo and Montreal would be in different conferences so they would be more open for a trade.

FYI---Buffalo doesnt appear to be in a need of Center unless its a 1-2 yr rental.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Chacal667

Vanek would instantly become the best habs foward, he is one of the best sniper in the league.

Chacal667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:13 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
In the hypothetical world of Vanek and Pommenville next year being in a walk years at that trade deadline it would turn into what you will be seeing in anaheim with Perry and Getz.

Buffalo will try to keep both, if not then they will entertain offers on one and signing the other.

Thus bidding war would ensue and they would get more than what is being offered in this trade proposal.
I highly doubt you would get much more than this package for an upcoming UFA. Look at what Hossa and Kovalchuk got and consider that they are better players. Obviously Vanek could get more than this package now because he has another year on his contract.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
I highly doubt you would get much more than this package for an upcoming UFA. Look at what Hossa and Kovalchuk got and consider that they are better players. Obviously Vanek could get more than this package now because he has another year on his contract.
First off Vanek is better than Hossa. Vanek is more well rounded of a player than Kovalchuk.

If he was looked at being traded now Buffalo would get alot more talent that is NHL ready that they could use over what was being offered from Montreal.

His production has been off the past few seasons because of playing with injuries and the lack of a center.

Through much of 10-11 he didnt have Roy with him, and Roy still wasnt anywhere near is normal self in 11-12 after his injury.

You give him a #1 center in a non defense centric system he'd be easily a 50 goal scorer.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:56 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
First off Vanek is better than Hossa. Vanek is more well rounded of a player than Kovalchuk.

If he was looked at being traded now Buffalo would get alot more talent that is NHL ready that they could use over what was being offered from Montreal.
I think you might be in the minority thinking that Vanek is better than Hossa or Kovalchuk. In any case, I agree that Buffalo could get more now, but I don't think they could get more next year if Vanek is not signed and is an upcoming UFA.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:13 PM
bud12

no from habs pov and no from buffalo pov

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:10 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

His production has been off the past few seasons because of playing with injuries and the lack of a center.

Through much of 10-11 he didnt have Roy with him, and Roy still wasnt anywhere near is normal self in 11-12 after his injury.

You give him a #1 center in a non defense centric system he'd be easily a 50 goal scorer.
not on this planet he's not...

Old
01-30-2013, 08:53 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
not on this planet he's not...
Go back and check their stats......

With Atlanta He was able to play a free wheeling offensive style...VaneK play in that hed get 50 goals too. In NJ his goals have dropped because of the system he plays in.

Hossa career stats arent much different than Vanel...except he got to play with a #1 center for much of it.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:58 PM
Havok89

Quote:
Go back and check their stats......

With Atlanta He was able to play a free wheeling offensive style...VaneK play in that hed get 50 goals too. In NJ his goals have dropped because of the system he plays in.

Hossa career stats arent much different than Vanel...except he got to play with a #1 center for much of it.
Vanek's skating simply isn't good enough for him to be on par with either of those players. At times it doesn't even look like NHL caliber skating.

Hossa is an elite two way forward in this league and Kovalchuk is simply the better offensive player.

The only thing Vanek can do better than these two is his play in front of the net.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:28 PM
capitalsrock

What the hell are people talking about.

Buffalo wins this trade by a mile.

2 of Montreal's best prospects who will be very good and a first likely in top 10 if not top 5 in a great draft.

Sure Vanek has had a couple of very good games but he has been very inconsistent the past couple of years.

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote