Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to re-up Nasty Nate?

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 01:35 PM
beaverjc

vCash: 500
I would also wait a bit as the concussion factor is something that may/may not return. Lets not forget Bergeron was a major concussion question too and it looks like he has put that in the rear view mirror.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:36 PM
BruinsPortugal

This is the best i've seen from him since he got here. And i was liked him.
There is a fair concern over his health but at the same time you have to be worried about pretty much everyone else with the history of injuries this team has. Hope they can work something out.
Those 3rd and 4th lines need to be 'reshaped'.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:37 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
Nah, he's still one hit away from being done IMO. I let him play for his contract and let the chips fall where they may, even though it means they risk losing him on the market at the end of the year. Chiarelli has been too anxious to lock guys up in the past, IMO.
yup

like Nate alot but let him play hungry and go thru the playoffs- the Bruins are one of the teams guys want to come to and I'm sure with a Cap no one can 'go all Yankees on us'...love to see him stay but not ready to give the no trade and $5 M a year for 3-4 years just yet; plsu he probably will want Lucic deal

Old
01-30-2013, 01:37 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Coming into this year, Rask was a backup goalie who played limited time last year because of injury. He had much to prove coming into this year, so no I don't think he had the Bruins over the barrel like he may next off season.

I also don't buy into the "he's the type of guy who will stay for less" stuff. At the end of the day, it's a business and the players just got taken to the mat during the lock out. I can't imagine any of them doing ownership any favors in the foreseeable future.

My two cents.

01-30-2013, 01:47 PM
BklyNBruiN
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Horton seems like the perfect example of a player who would take less to stay on this team. I don't know why exactly... just the way he acts and presents himself, seems like he would do anything to stay a Bruin.

perhaps I'm just being a naive homer though, haha.
This ^^ I agree. I don't see Horton as the type of player specially since becoming a Bruin, that would try and hit us over the head $$$ He is buddy buddy with Lucic, you could tell cause Lucic comes to his aide immediately on the ice. It just seems like he likes it here allot. Bruin brass will see how he handles this season and make sure the concussion is behind him before they probably make a decision.

I'm a big fan of his so lol He has size, speed, grit, attitude. Also has a nice shot. In 6 games he now has 3 goals and 2 assists +/- 4 If he continues at this pace he will have some decent numbers by the end of the season.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Chiarelli never talks about negotiatons, and his office is practically leak-proof. He could be having daily meetings with Horton's agent and we'd never know.
Yes, I know that but the way the message was delivered was just....off. I can't really describe it.

It's probably nothing.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
We're still too early on in the season.

He's playing physical, driving the net, and most importantly, is scoring goals. He's looked terrific. If he keeps this up, we probably will re-sign him.

As everyone else is saying, we need to see how he'll fare in the long haul. He's a headshot away from missing another season.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:53 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Count me as yes. I think he is vital for the offense, has proven to be extremely clutch, and is obviously well liked. Admittedly the concussion issue is concerning, but you could easily say the same about Krejci & Bergeron, or plenty of other guys throughout the league. IMO, the extra layoff from the lockout benefitted Horton greatly in recovery.

I'd move Peverley to keep Horton. If you don't do that; are you moving Peverley up to replace him next year; because you aren't getting someone at Horton's level for less dollars to replace him.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:55 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

If he takes a home town discount I say absolutely, if he asks for a significant raise I'd let him choose the place he feels best for him

Old
01-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Reasoning...

Top 5 forwards are locked up. Horton would the 6th.

Kelly has a full NTC, 3 more years after this one. The 4th line doesn't make enough to warrant whole sale changes there...and I would imagine you would leave the defense alone...

Peverley makes 3.75 mil and more easily moveable. Bruins have 7 mil, (or 11 if you LTIR Savard) on the cap number set thus far for 13-14...and still need to re-up Rask and Ference..2 forwards (Horton would make it one forward), a backup goalie and a 13th F and 7th Dman. Not much there.
Good points...

Man, when that 3rd line is going, it's usually Peverley driving it. He's also the guy that's best suited to slide up into the top-six when injuries occur...

But I guess it could make sense as 'succession plan' to Spooner. I said the other day that I had a hard time seeing how Spooner fit into this team's future plans. The top6 is pretty set and the thought of a Peverley-Spooner line seemed very light to me (see Colt's thread). But I've often thought Spooner could come into the league and be a lot like Peverley (at first). He's fast and creative. He can play center and wing. He could slide up into the top-six as needed. He can be a special teams weapon...

With cap space at a premium, maybe the plan is to replace Peverley with Spooner?

01-30-2013, 01:58 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
Coming into this year, Rask was a backup goalie who played limited time last year because of injury. He had much to prove coming into this year, so no I don't think he had the Bruins over the barrel like he may next off season.

I also don't buy into the "he's the type of guy who will stay for less" stuff. At the end of the day, it's a business and the players just got taken to the mat during the lock out. I can't imagine any of them doing ownership any favors in the foreseeable future.

My two cents.
There is a precedent that has been set on this team - Bergeron, Lucic, Chara and Krejci all probably would have attracted better offers if they had chosen to go to free agency, yet all re-signed reasonable deals well before even getting close to it.

Of course Rask should be well compensated; he's not going to take a lousy deal. But I don't think he's going to demand a contract that would force the Bruins into cap hell.He wants to win just as much as his teammates do.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:00 PM
flannelman
default user

vCash: 920
this will be tough. Rask is top priority in my mind - unless some other goalie in our system (Svedberg) really pushes to compete or TT comes back one a 1 year, short dollar deal (hey, it could happen!)

Horton is numero two on my list

PC will have to have to rob Peter to pay Paul at least in the short term, the cap will go back up again.

W/ Savvy on LTIR we might have 11 million for Rask, Horton, Ference - and we'll need to squeeze some cash from somewhere.

If the goal is keeping the top 6 intact and signing Rask, then it is doable but not without cost. To me, I look at Kelly, Pevs, Boychuck and/or letting Ference walk. None of those decisions for PC will be popular.

The next questions: what assets in the minors are ready for full-time NHL duty? Can the replace or at least be a stop-gap for departing players?

I'm not at optimistic as others but I have been dead wrong lately (read Hamilton).

Just for a little perspective 2013 upcoming FA's: http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/

Old
01-30-2013, 02:03 PM
hoss75

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
W/ Savvy on LTIR we might have 11 million for Rask, Horton, Ference - and we'll need to squeeze some cash from somewhere.
I could see Ference taking a home town deal in order to not hire movers and minimize his carbon footprint.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:04 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Reasoning...

Top 5 forwards are locked up. Horton would the 6th.

Kelly has a full NTC, 3 more years after this one. The 4th line doesn't make enough to warrant whole sale changes there...and I would imagine you would leave the defense alone...

Peverley makes 3.75 mil and more easily moveable. Bruins have 7 mil, (or 11 if you LTIR Savard) on the cap number set thus far for 13-14...and still need to re-up Rask and Ference..2 forwards (Horton would make it one forward), a backup goalie and a 13th F and 7th Dman. Not much there.
Ference can easily be replaced next yr,If that frees up cash to help keep Peverely i would do it, but then again,maye Spooner be ready next yr to get it done.He has alot of skills.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:10 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Wait until free agency opens, sign him if we can't sign Semin, Perry, Iginla.
ANA will have Perry signed before July 1, I don't really think Semin would be a good fit here, Iginla on the other hand, he's a guy I'd go after.

That said, I think you could fit both him and Horton on the team. Trade Peverley or Kelly and cheapen up the 4th line. Don't need a 4th line that is costing 4M, especially if you are bringing in a guy like Iginla.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Ratty

If he's not resigned in Anaheim, I' make a run at Perry first. If his price is out of range, I' include Horton in with a group of eligibles like Iginla and Ryan (trade) as the solution to the top line RW position.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:21 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

We aren't getting Perry; I bet he'll cost at least Lucic money and we don't have that available!

Horton should come in around Bergeron/Krejci dollars; and I think depending on how the season goes; that's reasonable. Having a 4 million dollar third liner in Peverley I think is a luxury we won't be able to have in a 64 million cap world. And I like Rich Peverley an awful lot.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:25 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
Ference can easily be replaced next yr,If that frees up cash to help keep Peverely i would do it, but then again,maye Spooner be ready next yr to get it done.He has alot of skills.
Ference IMO is irreplacebale in that lockerroom. One of the few vocal leaders we have, and the guys all love him. He is a must re-sign IMO.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:29 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Good points...

Man, when that 3rd line is going, it's usually Peverley driving it. He's also the guy that's best suited to slide up into the top-six when injuries occur...

But I guess it could make sense as 'succession plan' to Spooner. I said the other day that I had a hard time seeing how Spooner fit into this team's future plans. The top6 is pretty set and the thought of a Peverley-Spooner line seemed very light to me (see Colt's thread). But I've often thought Spooner could come into the league and be a lot like Peverley (at first). He's fast and creative. He can play center and wing. He could slide up into the top-six as needed. He can be a special teams weapon...

With cap space at a premium, maybe the plan is to replace Peverley with Spooner?
Yeah, I love Peverley too.... but Horton is more of a necessity IMO... I was thinking Spooner as the 3rd line wine, with Kelly and Caron for next year. Not ideal, but such is life when the cap goes down 6 mil.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:29 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Ference IMO is irreplacebale in that lockerroom. One of the few vocal leaders we have, and the guys all love him. He is a must re-sign IMO.
I completely agree. I think Ference is someone who might take a 'hometown' discount though. He got what many people thought was a pretty good contract last time, and I think he is definitely the team's 5th defenseman at this point (assuming Hamilton continues his growth cycle).

Old
01-30-2013, 02:31 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Agreed, WBC8 ... Ference is more essential for his off-ice roles than he is for his on-ice roles.

And I also agree that it's a good time to start talking contract with Horton, to get a feel on what he's looking for in terms of duration as well as money for his next deal. His concussion issues concern me, but there's always LTIR if he has to take a year off during his next contract.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:31 PM
WBC8

Pretty surprised what I'm reading here...The team was flat out mediocre without Nasty Nate last year, and with him back, Krejci and Lucic are playing the best hockey we have seen from them in no time. I agree about the inury thing, but reading between the lines on some posts (and some not needed) it looks like many feel Horton is pretty replaceable...when he has proven the exact opposite. You have LTIR it's almost a fail safe re-signing...

Old
01-30-2013, 02:34 PM
EverettMike

You can't sign everyone.

If Horton stays who goes? Even if not next year what about in two? Three?

Old
01-30-2013, 02:34 PM
patty59

Quote:
Pretty surprised what I'm reading here...The team was flat out mediocre without Nasty Nate last year, and with him back, Krejci and Lucic are playing the best hockey we have seen from them in no time. I agree about the inury thing, but reading between the lines on some posts (and some not needed) it looks like many feel Horton is pretty replaceable...when he has proven the exact opposite.
Ya, when he went down last year it was a huge hit to the team and that line. A lot of people here thought that he wouldn't be back and the Bruins would likely let him walk, while that could happen, I don't it will and never have. When they traded for him I doubt they had 3 years and gone in their minds, but who knows?

I wouldn't let him walk in July, the guy is a key part to this team's success. It's quite apparent.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:35 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
You can't sign everyone.

If Horton stays who goes? Even if not next year what about in two? Three?
Peverley or Kelly?

Closed Thread