HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part V)

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
If Matteau is a better contributor than Darce or Butler, you keep him. I don't think he is though.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:48 PM
apice3*

if theres one thing i know about hockey, its when hf posters want a certain player claimed off waivers, it doesnt happen

Old
01-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Bondys Champagne
Who dey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Can you send him down midway through the year? I didn't think you could do that.
Did you already check out devilsinsiders.com on that topic?

Old
01-30-2013, 03:50 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Sandwiches View Post
I don't care if Darche is better than Janssen. He's not going to make a difference whatsoever and he probably won't sniff more than 7 or 8 minutes a game. He's not going to score a bunch of goals and he's not exactly the next Selke winner out there either.

He's essentially what Jay Pandolfo was in his last year or so here. Except Pandolfo was actually one very serviceable which is why I didn't mind him.

Lou and Pete have seen Cam play enough to know what type of player he is going into the season. If they had to wait this long to think about signing Darche, then how helpful can Darche possibly be?

If the 4th line isn't going to play much anyway, I rather have someone entertaining like Cam on it than Darche. I'm not buying how good or helpful or how "solid defensively" Darche is.

Hell, bring back John Madden out of retirement or sign Pandolfo if you're really interested in Darche.
Darche is nothing like the current Pandolfo or Madden. The former actually has offensive and puck possession skill.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Pandolfo really wasn't serviceable his last year with us. I'd say he was serviceable in 08/09, but a shell of himself by then. He was a healthy scratch a lot in 09/10, and just had a really bad contract.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:53 PM
JK3
COUGH DROPS FOR DANO

If you can't tell the difference inserting Darche (if he's signed) over Cam than I don't know what to tell you, unless you're confusing him with Barch.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK3 View Post
If you can't tell the difference inserting Darche (if he's signed) over Cam than I don't know what to tell you, unless you're confusing him with Barch.
I'm pretty sure Banana Sandwiches is a fan of goons. I remember him sticking up for Boulton plenty last year. Not that there's anything wrong with that because I respect everyone's opinion and everything is valid. Just saying that's what would explain that.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil X View Post
I believe its by points worst to best. Not sure how games played is worked into that if at all. Its also 24 hours so at noon tomorrow you will know if he was claimed or not by anyone.
I know that but in a full season, until November 1st the previous seasons standings are used. Is there a date like that for the NHL?

I'm assuming they go by point percentage as well, as not all teams play the same amount of games.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Can you send him down midway through the year? I didn't think you could do that.
Yes we can send him back to Jrs at any time, the only thing in question with the 6 games was the year on his ELC. He could play tomorrow, we burn the year, and literally still send him down to the Q the next day.

Funny we were just talking about this situation the other day Bleed. How we didn't need two goons and it would be better to send Cam down for Henrique so you could have, what we were speculating, Bulter and Darche up here and have better skill on the bottom lines then what Cam brings. Well instead it seems to be Anderson and Matteau are the two.

Either way this was definitely done to clear the way for the return of Henrique. Guess Matteau stays, but the lines are going to change with Henrique back. So what do you do with the lines when Henrique gets back.

I'd assume slot Zubs up to the top line, but do you keep Clarkson on the 2nd with Henrique and Elias? Or slot him to the third and let Matteau or Anderson roll with them, and let the 3rd line be something like Anderson - JJ - Clarkson? I am going with the assumption that Pete will not play Henrique on the wing for any extended period of time.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
If Matteau is a better contributor than Darce or Butler, you keep him. I don't think he is though.
Right now, he's not. Which puzzles me.

He's got a nice package of size, smarts, and skill. Just needs to work on that skill.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:03 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 214
Quote:
Lou and Pete have seen Cam play enough to know what type of player he is going into the season. If they had to wait this long to think about signing Darche, then how helpful can Darche possibly be?
They could be 'waiting' for Darche to get into shape. Or for Matteau to complete his audition. Who knows, it's not like it's the first time Lou's unofficially stashed someone (Tommy Albelin ring a bell?).

Old
01-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
Yes we can send him back to Jrs at any time, the only thing in question with the 6 games was the year on his ELC. He could play tomorrow, we burn the year, and literally still send him down to the Q the next day.

Funny we were just talking about this situation the other day Bleed. How we didn't need two goons and it would be better to send Cam down for Henrique so you could have, what we were speculating, Bulter and Darche up here and have better skill on the bottom lines then what Cam brings. Well instead it seems to be Anderson and Matteau are the two.

Either way this was definitely done to clear the way for the return of Henrique. Guess Matteau stays, but the lines are going to change with Henrique back. So what do you do with the lines when Henrique gets back.

I'd assume slot Zubs up to the top line, but do you keep Clarkson on the 2nd with Henrique and Elias? Or slot him to the third and let Matteau or Anderson roll with them, and let the 3rd line be something like Anderson - JJ - Clarkson? I am going with the assumption that Pete will not play Henrique on the wing for any extended period of time.
I like the idea of moving Henrique to left wing.

Henrique-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Zubrus-Elias-Clarkson
Matteau-Josefson-Anderson

I'm curious to see how Matteau-JJ-Anderson would work together.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Nick0930

I can see Matteau-YY-Anderson as a line that looks good but has no finish.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i think ultimately the goal is to have cbgb return to being the fourth line. this would mean that matteau and josefson would move up to the third line, and barch would sit for any games we don't really need an enforcer for. or possibly have bernier on the third line and barch play the bottom line.

zubrus-zajac-kovy
elias-henrique-clarkson
matteau-josefson- trade/callup/bernier
carter-gio-bernier/barch

that would give matteau enough ice time to make it worth it as well as give him two good defensive players to play with if it were yayo and bernier on his line. he could also swap with zubrus for a couple shifts a game like they've been doing.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:08 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
Not even remotely true. The contract situation X years down the road has no bearing on this situation in Lou's mind...
It might not since Lou's going to be in his mid-late 70's by then anyway.

I'm just saying, with our spotty record of retaining players once they get to UFA - and how do we know Dear Old Dad won't pull a JP at the end of his next deal and steer Stefan 'home' - I'd rather have a guy who looks like he's going to be a real contributor under sure control for another year. Especially if he's not appreciably better than the other options (which I don't think he is at 'this' point), and I'm not entirely convinced he's graduated juniors yet.

If he is better than the other options then there's no debate obviously. I don't think he is, and the theory he could play a handful of games and get sent down is asinine imo. If he's staying, he's staying the whole year and playing the majority of the time. You don't burn a year of the ELC for a handful of games.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post

I've been talking about it ever since we signed Barch. I like Cam, he seems like a good dude, but it is obvious why he was the odd man out. Aside from entry level deals he's the only two way contract. After him making the opening day roster I really thought he wouldn't get waived.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Banana Sandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I'm pretty sure Banana Sandwiches is a fan of goons. I remember him sticking up for Boulton plenty last year. Not that there's anything wrong with that because I respect everyone's opinion and everything is valid. Just saying that's what would explain that.
I do like tough guys, but if you're going to take out Janssen and replace him with Darche, that pisses me off. The 4th line has hardly ever gotten playing time for years. I rather have someone who might be entertaining to watch (Janssen) than have a guy who will have boring shifts and still not contribute anything major (Darche).

Like I said earlier, if Cam is getting waived to make room for a healthy Adam Henrique, then I have approve that 110% since this team needs offense and Henrique provides that.

Or if somehow Lou is working out a trade or something to acquire a legitimate 2nd or 3rd line guys (similar to Ponikarovsky) and waiving Cam would make room for such a new player, then, yes that would be fine.

But making room for Darche bothers me. I don't want a 36 going on 37 year old 4th line "grinder" on this team when someone in Albany could do the same, if not better job.

Yes, I know Albany isn't that good, but I'm sure someone out there would be an improvement over Darche if the Devils really feel they need another 4th line grinder.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
I do like tough guys, but if you're going to take out Janssen and replace him with Darche, that pisses me off. The 4th line has hardly ever gotten playing time for years. I rather have someone who might be entertaining to watch (Janssen) than have a guy who will have boring shifts and still not contribute anything major (Darche).

Like I said earlier, if Cam is getting waived to make room for a healthy Adam Henrique, then I have approve that 110% since this team needs offense and Henrique provides that.

Or if somehow Lou is working out a trade or something to acquire a legitimate 2nd or 3rd line guys (similar to Ponikarovsky) and waiving Cam would make room for such a new player, then, yes that would be fine.

But making room for Darche bothers me. I don't want a 36 going on 37 year old 4th line "grinder" on this team when someone in Albany could do the same, if not better job.

Yes, I know Albany isn't that good, but I'm sure someone out there would be an improvement over Darche if the Devils really feel they need another 4th line grinder.
Darche is more of the Bernier/Carter mold. He's going to contribute something other than running around hitting people. Darche is more of the third/fourth line winger that'll play the penalty kill for you and play good defense.

If there was someone in the AHL that could do that, they'd be here already.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Jack Griffin

I don't have a problem with Darche but he doesn't really fill a need. We need secondary offense and even though Darche has had some decent years his scoring hasn't been consistent. I wouldn't mind him as an extra forward just not a regular.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

I'm not really crazy about Darche either man. He'd be a 4th line guy, and a PKer. We don't really need PK'ers cause our PK has been excellent. If anything we get another PK'er back in Henrique.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Banana Sandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK3 View Post
Putting Darche in for Janssen won't make the team better. They aren't going to start scoring 5 goals a game and go on some huge winning streak or anything. It's the 4th line. They never get ice time so you might as well have them go out and hit everything and be entertaining than throw a guy like Darche out there who won't get anything accomplished.

But hey, if Darche manages to get signed and ends up becoming a good player, I'll gladly eat crow. But I honestly don't see Darche contributing that much, if anything really, to this team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Pandolfo really wasn't serviceable his last year with us. I'd say he was serviceable in 08/09, but a shell of himself by then. He was a healthy scratch a lot in 09/10, and just had a really bad contract.
I didn't mean to say that Pandolfo was serviceable in his last 2 years in Jersey. I meant to say that over his tenure with the Devils, he was very serviceable. That's why I was always willing to cut him some slack in his last year or 2 in NJ. I appreciated how he played during his prime, which is why I wasn't going to start calling for his head just because he suddenly got old and wasn't really good anymore.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:20 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
I don't care if Darche is better than Janssen. He's not going to make a difference whatsoever and he probably won't sniff more than 7 or 8 minutes a game. He's not going to score a bunch of goals and he's not exactly the next Selke winner out there either.

He's essentially what Jay Pandolfo was in his last year or so here. Except Pandolfo was actually one very serviceable which is why I didn't mind him.

If the 4th line isn't going to play much anyway, I rather have someone entertaining like Cam on it than Darche. I'm not buying how good or helpful or how "solid defensively" Darche is.

Hell, bring back John Madden out of retirement or sign Pandolfo if you're really interested in Darche.
Here's a little bit of info I'll pass your way.

The bottom 6 is just as important as our top 6. If we can roll 4 lines, we'll be giving less minutes to our top players, wich makes them better cause they aren't as fatigued from all the double shifting.

Having Cam Janssen in the lineup does absolutely nothing but ask Kovalchuk to play close to half a hour and you might say "Who cares, he's our best player, it's just a added bonus". The thing is that he won't go full speed on everyone of his shifts and it'll affect his performance in the upcoming games as well.

Darche is a serviceable bottom 6 player, just like Carter who we picked up on waivers from Florida, and you need those type of guys if you want to go far in the postseason. How many "goons" did you see in last years playoff run... and I'm not just talking about our team.

I'll take someone who can actually play the game then someone that will try and decapitate another play and miss so badly that he'll eventually dislocate his own shoulder from one of his "booming hits".

Old
01-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Here's a little bit of info I'll pass your way.

The bottom 6 is just as important as our top 6. If we can roll 4 lines, we'll be giving less minutes to our top players, wich makes them better cause they aren't as fatigued from all the double shifting.

Having Cam Janssen in the lineup does absolutely nothing but ask Kovalchuk to play close to half a hour and you might say "Who cares, he's our best player, it's just a added bonus". The thing is that he won't go full speed on everyone of his shifts and it'll affect his performance in the upcoming games as well.

Darche is a serviceable bottom 6 player, just like Carter who we picked up on waivers from Florida, and you need those type of guys if you want to go far in the postseason. How many "goons" did you see in last years playoff run... and I'm not just talking about our team.

I'll take someone who can actually play the game then someone that will try and decapitate another play and miss so badly that he'll eventually dislocate his own shoulder from one of his "booming hits".
No way is the bottom six just as important as the top six.

But I do agree about Darche.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Putting Darche in for Janssen won't make the team better. They aren't going to start scoring 5 goals a game and go on some huge winning streak or anything. It's the 4th line. They never get ice time so you might as well have them go out and hit everything and be entertaining than throw a guy like Darche out there who won't get anything accomplished.
Holy exaggeration batman. Who is expecting Darche to turn the Devils into bonafide contenders?

All his supporters are saying is that he would be a positive addition to the bottom six.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
is Darche better than Cam Janssen?

yes.

that is all I care about.

Closed Thread