HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 News & Notes

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-21-2013, 10:30 AM
  #126
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,696
vCash: 500
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...ned-three.html
Quote:
16. Murray on Washington Capitals rookie head coach Adam Oates: "I told George McPhee, 'We couldn't beat you guys before, now we're really in trouble.' Adam will know how to relate to all of his players. He won't yell and scream. He'll approach everyone the right way because he'll appreciate what everybody is."
Kundratek re-called. Hillen on IR, week-to-week.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:38 AM
  #127
Koized
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
How the hell did Lecavalier get nothing on that hit? Looked awfully similar to Ovechkin's on Campbell.

Koized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:07 PM
  #128
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koized View Post
How the hell did Lecavalier get nothing on that hit? Looked awfully similar to Ovechkin's on Campbell.
it wasnt close to the ovechkin campbell hit. even if you say that the ov play was borderline and i do, this was perfectly legal.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:28 PM
  #129
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Kundratek re-called. Hillen on IR, week-to-week.
This one confuses me a bit. I realize Hillen is going to be down for a while, but do we really need 8 defensemen on the roster at all times? Are we going to keep playing 7 each night? Is Kundratek really going to see ice time before Erskine?

Especially with Poti back in the fold, I would have let Kundratek continue to get big minutes in Hershey. His point totals aren't a real indicator of his play, given that a large chunk of them come on the PP (where he's playing Ovechkin's spot at the left circle). I'd give Poti a shot at serving as the 3rd pairing puck mover before I recalled someone from Hershey.

The only logic I see is that this is basically the only opportunity to get Kundratek any NHL action. Once Orlov comes back, Tomas will be further down the depth chart again.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:30 PM
  #130
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...ned-three.html

Kundratek re-called. Hillen on IR, week-to-week.
Also interesting from that link:

Quote:
17. Hockey Night In Canada analyst Kelly Hrudey has said several times he loved the 48-game season in 1995, but warned that it will be difficult on goalies at the start. Reason? The extraocular muscles around the eyes. "A muscle needs to be trained," said Hrudey, a former NHL goalie. "Even after as little as 2-3 days, they need to be retrained to the speed of NHL players shooting the puck. Equally as important is traffic in front of you. It takes an unbelievable amount of focus to deal with that. You can't replicate eye training in a practice or a scrimmage."

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:45 PM
  #131
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Is Kundratek really going to see ice time before Erskine?
Seems so. I think it likely goes:

Alzner - Carlson
Poti - Green
Hamrlik - Orlov/Hillen/Kundratek

Schultz & Erskine are just too slow IMO. No Erskine makes it a pretty soft group but that's to be expected.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:05 PM
  #132
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,535
vCash: 500
It will be interesting to see who Mike Green's partner really is, Hamrlik or Poti. He saw an almost even split between the two of them in the opener, but the 7 defensemen made swapping partner a necessity. But given that Oates wasn't shy of giving Green big minutes, perhaps rotating partners will help keep his minutes up and limit the minutes going to Poti and Hamrlik.

http://www.leftwinglock.com/line-com...D&gametype=1#A

If it ends up being Hamrlik-Green, with Poti on the 3rd pair, I really don't see the necessity of having a Hillen/Kundratek on the opposite side of Poti. Poti can handle the breakout, and Schultz or Erskine can be the "stay at home" guy. Once Orlov is healthy, that dynamic can change. Poti is (or at least was) a versatile player.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:07 PM
  #133
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,696
vCash: 500
"Caps won't make the playoffs." Pierre LeBrun in an ESPN chat.

Hard to disagree given the way their best players have played to this point. They've got the look of a 7th spot sort of team at best and plenty of potential to finish 10th or lower.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:33 PM
  #134
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,770
vCash: 500
Wouldn't be surprised at all if it happened, but it's WAY too early to make that kind of prediction. The Caps are 3 points out of a playoff spot.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:39 PM
  #135
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Wouldn't be surprised at all if it happened, but it's WAY too early to make that kind of prediction. The Caps are 3 points out of a playoff spot.
This.

Rather this funk take place now compared to later in a short season, but too early to call.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:41 PM
  #136
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
This.

Rather this funk take place now compared to later in a short season, but too early to call.
Not to mention this team is certainly capable of ripping off a 6 or 7 game win streak at any point.

The last 3 games have been real encouraging and thats with an MIA #8 and #19 for the most part.

Its getting better.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:15 PM
  #137
swimmer77
What's an ROW?
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 500
Depending on what I think to myself I can be discouraged or encouraged. Encouraged......

If the big guns start firing.

If a D partner can be found for John Carlson who has been on ice for a ton of goals. The big minute theory no longer flies given Green's TOI is comparable.

If the PK improves.

If the PP improves.

Encouraged because their losses don't look totally absurd at this point including opening night in Tampa Bay. The Caps were very much in that game until half way through the third. Tampa Bay, Ottawa, NJ, Montreal and Winnipeg are all playoff teams ATM.

Discouraged because their only win was against Buffalo who was without their top scorer. Discouraged because there are a lot of teams to leap frog.

Encouraged that the Caps play Florida yet.

Discouraged when I think of Ovechkin.

Discouraged knowing the right injury could happen at any time.

Discouraged that Neuvirth may come down to earth a bit.

Encouraged that Holtby may return to playoff form.

And on and on it goes.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:25 PM
  #138
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,378
vCash: 50
Hardly news. Carlson was very unimpressive for much of last year, and it seems he is on the same train this year. Playoffs, he was fine, but I thought I saw a lot greater effort.

A coach should address the problems he sees, and he is one. They preach offense from defense, but then defense has to be in order. It's better, but we are not there yet.

I would pair him with Poti and sit Sarge. Sarge has been meh but I have not seen enough to keep him in over Erskine and Poti, nor Hammer for that matter.

I haven't seen Crabb do dick of note. I would like to see someone else tried on Ovi's wing. Ward or even Fehr are worth a look at this point. While Beagle may have earned a promotion, Crabb didn't. He had his cup of coffee. I kept seeing Fehr shooting (ok and falling) a lot last game and want to see him get a little more ice time.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:21 PM
  #139
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH
I haven't seen Crabb do dick of note. I would like to see someone else tried on Ovi's wing. Ward or even Fehr are worth a look at this point. While Beagle may have earned a promotion, Crabb didn't.
I mean, he only got promoted one line up, from 4RW to 3RW, anyway. Not that big of a deal whether he earned it.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:35 PM
  #140
HTFN
Registered User
 
HTFN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
it wasnt close to the ovechkin campbell hit. even if you say that the ov play was borderline and i do, this was perfectly legal.
Given how far Hillen was from the boards, and the severity of the hit he took, how isn't that boarding? Double points for injuring the player.

On one angle it looks like it's smack into the boards, on another it looks like he nearly simultaneously hits the ice and wall at the same time, but either way he's in that danger zone off the boards, is the smaller guy, and got hucked like 5 feet.

I mean, I'm not one barking for a suspension or anything, but in my opinion you penalize it on the ice.

EDIT: I think Crabb has been fine. He does his job and seems to be far more noticeable doing good things than bad ones.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:44 PM
  #141
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
"Caps won't make the playoffs." Pierre LeBrun in an ESPN chat.

Hard to disagree given the way their best players have played to this point. They've got the look of a 7th spot sort of team at best and plenty of potential to finish 10th or lower.
Not to hijack the discussion, but the chat touched upon the Phoenix situation as well as the realignment discussion. Realignment discussion involves 4 divisions two with 8 teams and two with 7 teams, which makes some believe that the intent will be for the NHL to expand to 32 teams, 8 teams per division. Talk about diluting the quality of play on the ice some more.

Some of this discussion is based upon recent events such as yesterday the Markham City Group voting in favor to construct a 300+ million dollar arena that will sit 20,000 near Toronto, with the hope of attracting a second NHL team to the Toronto general area. Rather see teams re-locate then add. I know I've heard it on these boards before that FLA. has a really good stadium deal but at some point they have to realize that South Florida is just not a good professional sports environment unless you are the Dolphins or the Heat. Jamison (sp?) doesn't get the investors by tomorrow, I'd say the Yotes are history in Phoenix and say hello Seattle Metropolitans.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:51 PM
  #142
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Overtime
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
Given how far Hillen was from the boards, and the severity of the hit he took, how isn't that boarding? Double points for injuring the player.

On one angle it looks like it's smack into the boards, on another it looks like he nearly simultaneously hits the ice and wall at the same time, but either way he's in that danger zone off the boards, is the smaller guy, and got hucked like 5 feet.

I mean, I'm not one barking for a suspension or anything, but in my opinion you penalize it on the ice.
Just because Hillen chose not to protect himself from a shoulder to shoulder hit in that situation does not make him a defenseless player. So it's not boarding.

Whereas the NHL agrees in general that it would be unreasonable to expect a player to protect himself from a hit to the numbers on his back.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:54 PM
  #143
HTFN
Registered User
 
HTFN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,089
vCash: 500
As a PacNW citizen, I can honestly say that if the NHL wants to succeed in that region, they're better off going to Portland, rather than Seattle. At least, at first.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:56 PM
  #144
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
"Caps won't make the playoffs." Pierre LeBrun in an ESPN chat.

Hard to disagree given the way their best players have played to this point. They've got the look of a 7th spot sort of team at best and plenty of potential to finish 10th or lower.

This is the same lardo that thinks European expansion is a good idea.

Clearly what he says should be taken into consideration.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:00 PM
  #145
Carlzner
Who's Zed?
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
As a PacNW citizen, I can honestly say that if the NHL wants to succeed in that region, they're better off going to Portland, rather than Seattle. At least, at first.
Love the area, hope to live there soon... I think both cities deserve a team. Although I do love Portland more than Seattle. I just hope one of them gets a team by the time I'm out there.


Last edited by Carlzner: 01-30-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:07 PM
  #146
HTFN
Registered User
 
HTFN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Just because Hillen chose not to protect himself from a shoulder to shoulder hit in that situation does not make him a defenseless player. So it's not boarding.

Whereas the NHL agrees in general that it would be unreasonable to expect a player to protect himself from a hit to the numbers on his back.
First, though Lecavalier doesn't have time to realize it, he's shooting it around the boards (watch it again, Hillen has no idea Lecavalier is there, so he didn't "choose not to protect himself, he thinks the immediate pressure is coming from the man he was just engaged with), and last I checked, the process of shooting puts one in a defenseless position.

Second, that's not even what I have issue with, what bugs me is that at what I can best approximate as the point of contact, they've got to be at least 9 or 10 feet away from the boards.

So for Lecavalier to get to ragdoll him through the air over a body length, basically ensuring that the only place his upper body can land is violently into the boards, I remember that being boarding.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:16 PM
  #147
HTFN
Registered User
 
HTFN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Love the area, hope to live there soon... I think both teams deserve a city. Although I do love Portland more than Seattle. I just hope one of them gets a team by the time I'm out there.
It's mostly because Portland is desperate for sports. They've had nothing but the Blazers for years, really, now the Timbers, and that got latched on to quick. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, Portland has had some from of hockey team since like the 50's or 60's, including the first American team to play for the Stanley Cup (trounced by Montreal).

My whole life they've always had a crazy die hard Winter Hawks fanbase, much like that of the Timbers.

Oh, Portland's also got the best public transit in the country and a few million people in the Metro area getting stacked with money because of all the Nike and Intel jobs, as well as the rest of the Silicon Forest). There's a lot of potential there, I have a hunch the attendance figures, if you can hype it up right (moving a team rather than starting one would be nice, to ensure some semblance of competition), would be great.

I've always gotten the impression living there that it's the best sports city to have virtually no professional sports teams.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:20 PM
  #148
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,211
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
It's mostly because Portland is desperate for sports. They've had nothing but the Blazers for years, really, now the Timbers, and that got latched on to quick. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, Portland has had some from of hockey team since like the 50's or 60's, including the first American team to play for the Stanley Cup (trounced by Montreal).

My whole life they've always had a crazy die hard Winter Hawks fanbase, much like that of the Timbers.

Oh, Portland's also got the best public transit in the country and a few million people in the Metro area getting stacked with money because of all the Nike and Intel jobs, as well as the rest of the Silicon Forest). There's a lot of potential there, I have a hunch the attendance figures, if you can hype it up right (moving a team rather than starting one would be nice, to ensure some semblance of competition), would be great.

I've always gotten the impression living there that it's the best sports city to have virtually no professional sports teams.
They also have an 18000+ seat multi-purpose arena, hockey being one of the purposes.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:43 PM
  #149
Stewie G
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,121
vCash: 500
Poor Kansas City. All this talk about expansion/relocation and I don't see them getting much press at all. They have an arena already built and I'm not sure they have any tenants at all.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:18 PM
  #150
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Overtime
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
First, though Lecavalier doesn't have time to realize it, he's shooting it around the boards (watch it again, Hillen has no idea Lecavalier is there, so he didn't "choose not to protect himself, he thinks the immediate pressure is coming from the man he was just engaged with), and last I checked, the process of shooting puts one in a defenseless position.

Second, that's not even what I have issue with, what bugs me is that at what I can best approximate as the point of contact, they've got to be at least 9 or 10 feet away from the boards.

So for Lecavalier to get to ragdoll him through the air over a body length, basically ensuring that the only place his upper body can land is violently into the boards, I remember that being boarding.
Hillen has to protect himself from shoulder-to-shoulder hits when he has the puck anywhere on the ice. Hillen misread the situation and didn't protect himself as he should have. It's ridiculous to suggest shooting makes him a defenseless player, because all a player would have to do to avoid getting hit is to fake a shot. He wasn't a defenseless player according to the NHL, thus it's not boarding.

This is like people misinterpreting the blindside headshot rule to blame Stuart for Landeskog skating face first into his shoulder.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.