HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Bylsma/coaching discussion thread

View Poll Results: How long do you give Dan?
Fire him now 18 22.22%
15 games 33 40.74%
30 games 4 4.94%
Fire him if we fail in the play-offs 23 28.40%
Keep him till next year 3 3.70%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-30-2013, 02:18 PM
mpp9

vCash: 500
The PP is half personnel half coaching. We don't have a legit pointman, RHS or net front presence. That's on Shero at least partially. But with the talent we have, a decent coach could come up with a way to get some decent looks on net.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:20 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
That was the other thing that has been bugging me so much.

Disco practically bragged that he's had all of this time to work on so many different things and how well prepared he and his staff were going to be in all facets of the game. Even dropped a little "lol" in there about how maybe the lockout wasn't such a bad thing in some ways because it gave he and his BFF staff extra time to come up with some new wrinkles and review extra tape.

Lovin' all that, so far. I guess that's what Neal (now Malkin) at the point as a "rover" (lol) is. A clever wrinkle.

I mean... let's be honest. He's either grossly incompetent or kind of a liar. Either way it's obvious that he's barely scratched the surface on coming up with anything real and effective to counter the creeping problems we've all seen cropping up the last few years. And it sort of just looks like, at the very last second, he just threw some crap at the wall and hoped it looked good enough to stick. Or again, more likely, he's just incompetent. A nice guy with lots of good qualities, sure... but incompetent.
This is what I'm going to go with.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I would have liked it better if he phrased it as, "you had 7 months to design this, and this is what you put together?"
I'm trying not to jump on the rag on DB train, but it's a little funny that his big idea was to put Neal at the point after all summer and three extra months to chew on it.

Then others on the staff actually agreed this was a good idea? Did no one want to pimp slap some sense into him?

"Ok fellas, lets take our less than nimble winger who lead us in PP goals last season and put him on the point! What could go wrong?"

"Holy **** Dan, that **** is straight DOPE. Stop dragging on the J and pass brah"

Wake, bake and dream up PP alignments.

Even Malkin said today it's better to have Neal down low because he scored lots of PP goals there last year.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:22 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
The PP is half personnel half coaching. We don't have a legit pointman, RHS or net front presence. That's on Shero at least partially. But with the talent we have, a decent coach could come up with a way to get some decent looks on net.
Absolutely.

I am by no means even asking for a well-oiled machine, here. Though that would be nice, considering this team is supposed to be a Cup contender. I just want to see a decent look or two every powerplay opportunity. If they went on a 0 for 20 stretch, or something... I'd even be alright with it -- so long as it looked like they were getting the right chances.

But their best opportunities during a five minute major occurred on the second unit, last night. And even then it was a routine stop (I think one of the two Nabby had to make all five minutes). That tells me all I need to know about the new "improved" powerplay.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:25 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Then others on the staff actually agreed this was a good idea? Did no one want to pimp slap some sense into him?
Naw... they're all besties, ya know!

Can't ruffle any feathers.

Country Club creepin' back in...

Old
01-30-2013, 02:28 PM
Dupree13

I think this is he fifth time I've said it in this thread, but this team had a top 5 power play last year. The problem is simple, the insistence of having Crosby, and not Malkin, on the right half-wall. You put Malkin there you'll get a top ten power play. Promise.

Dupree13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:28 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

I also find it pretty irritating that they STILL can't figure out how to get into the zone on the PP easier. This has been a problem for a LONG time.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:30 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
And the team has one of the best records in the league the past five years. As well as a couple of finals appreances and one cup win. The core of the team is in its mid 20's. No doubt this team will perenially put up 100 plus point seasons. Where is this hypothetical better situation for him?

That said, and like I said, I worry about this style of play as it translates to the playoffs.
One of the biggest reasons pens had all that success is because of malkin. Theirs lots of other teams malkin could go to and he would make them a Stanley cup contender for a long time. I still think malkin will end up staying but its not like pgh is the only good team out their.

cheesedanish87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
One of the biggest reasons pens had all that success is because of malkin. Theirs lots of other teams malkin could go to and he would make them a Stanley cup contender for a long time. I still think malkin will end up staying but its not like pgh is the only good team out their.
There certainly are other good young teams out there. That was not what I asked though. I asked if there was a better situation as far as on the ice goes. I do not think so. But certainly comparable ones.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Naw... they're all besties, ya know!

Can't ruffle any feathers.

Country Club creepin' back in...
It's just... obvious ****.

The first thing I said when I heard Neal at the point was, wtf?

Lets forget everything about what he did on the PP down below the circles last season. We'll pretend when he was rolling Js with the ghost of Eddie Shore, he forgot. Ok...

But how do you overlook the fact that he doesn't have the lateral skating to play the point, or the ability to skate backwards well enough to defend the Giroux's of the league who kill penalties?

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:43 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
It's just... obvious ****.

The first thing I said when I heard Neal at the point was, wtf?

Lets forget everything about what he did on the PP down below the circles last season. We'll pretend when he was rolling Js with the ghost of Eddie Shore, he forgot. Ok...

But how do you overlook the fact that he doesn't have the lateral skating to play the point, or the ability to skate backwards well enough to defend the Giroux's of the league who kill penalties?
You and me both. Now it's Malkin's turn.

"Hey! I know! Lets take a guy who scored almost 20 powerplay goals last year on a traditionally miserable powerplay unit and move him... uh... let's say... um... to the point! He's got a big shot, right? Big shots = playing the point! Genius!"

It's the Lite Brite powerplay strategy. Just pull some pegs out of a bag and stick 'em wherever you think they look pretty.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:44 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly
#Penguins second PP unit: Martin, Jeffrey on points with forwards Kennedy, Dupuis, Sutter.

Seth Rorabaugh ‏@emptynetters
During power play drills today, Crosby looked welded to the right half wall.

Joe Starkey ‏@JoeStarkey1
Pens practicing power play. Looks worse than last nite
This is worrying. Last night's PP was terrible, how can it be worse than last night?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
There certainly are other good young teams out there. That was not what I asked though. I asked if there was a better situation as far as on the ice goes. I do not think so. But certainly comparable ones.
He might want to go somewhere that he's the unquestioned #1 center instead of a coequal with Crosby. I know Pens fans have tried to shoot this down for years but it's not a crazy idea and nobody knows Malkin's true feelings on the matter.

Dupree13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Mordax
Abso-Buc'n-lutely

Quote:
You and me both. Now it's Malkin's turn.

"Hey! I know! Lets take a guy who scored almost 20 powerplay goals last year on a traditionally miserable powerplay unit and move him... uh... let's say... um... to the point! He's got a big shot, right? Big shots = playing the point! Genius!"

It's the Lite Brite powerplay strategy. Just pull out some pegs out of a bag and stick 'em wherever you think they look pretty.
I'm so glad you can still find this via Google Image search...

Mordax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:52 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Heh... I always loved that Whitney is pink.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
He might want to go somewhere that he's the unquestioned #1 center instead of a coequal with Crosby. I know Pens fans have tried to shoot this down for years but it's not a crazy idea and nobody knows Malkin's true feelings on the matter.
I am not discounting that. Though you never hear any rumblings of that, quite the opposite, unlike Staal who most thought would go eventually. I was only addressing the idea that there may be a better place out there for him to win with. For all of how down we are on the Pens right now, I do not see that.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I don't see why we can have two PP's of:

Kunitz-Sid-Neal (Not in a line like that, this is just a way of saying who should be on the PP etc)
Letang-Niskanen

Dupuis-Malkin-Tangradi/Kennedy
Orpik-Martin

Old
01-30-2013, 02:59 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post

Kunitz-Sid-Neal (Not in a line like that, this is just a way of saying who should be on the PP etc)
Letang-Niskanen

Orpik-Martin
woah woah woah, Sid isn't allowed to play with the talent. Needs to be more like:

Kunitz/Sutter - Geno - Neal

Letang - Despres (I actually think Niskanen should be here over Letang, but...)

Kennedy - Sid - Kunitz/Sutter

Niskanen - Martin

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Heh... I always loved that Whitney is pink.
See you just pass it from that one Russian guy to Sid over to Whitney in the back door ALL THE GOALS!

You guys remember last year when Kunitz-Malkin-Neal was one of the most dominant lines in the league, and Sid took Dups and Cooke and used their speed and hustle to cause havoc and goals? Well, now let's take Kunitz away from that Malkin line and have him lag behind the play when Sid is out there. Also, put ... hell, anyone on that Malkin line, it's not going to matter anyway, since the only thing that's going to happen is Malkin pass it to Neal. Also, when you're staring the goalie right in the eyes and you got a lane, don't forget about maybe passing it!

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:00 PM
The Oneironaut
FIRE SHERO/BYLSMA.

Quote:

Letang-Niskanen

Orpik-Martin
Did Malkin kill your dog?

The Oneironaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:01 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
See you just pass it from that one Russian guy to Sid over to Whitney in the back door ALL THE GOALS!
We laugh... but I think that's what they're trying to replicate now with this "rover" *********. Except they don't have a Whitney.

Or that other Russian fellow.

And nobody is making that backdoor cut. Um... ever.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:01 PM
STLPensFan

Cam Janssen on waivers?!?!?!?! DISCO DAN LOVES UNSKILLED GRINDERS!!!!! PUT HIM WITH MALKIN OR CROSBY!! #TOP6SOLUTION

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...ecision_o.html

STLPensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:03 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oneironaut View Post
Did Malkin kill your dog?
Malkin's not been good enough. He needs to be told that. He has to step it up.

Although being truthful I'd like to see Sid and Malkin together on the PP but that doesn't work. I forgot Sutter though.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:04 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Malkin's not been good enough. He needs to be told that. He has to step it up.
He hasn't.

Who has? Crosby?

Please.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:09 PM
sexyllama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordax View Post
I'm so glad you can still find this via Google Image search...
That image is just full of awesome.

Other russian guy...
Big guy...

sexyllama is offline   Reply With Quote