HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Paul Kelly says QC & Toronto to get expansion teams; Daly disputes assertion

Old
01-30-2013, 01:14 PM
MartysBetterThanYou

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkhamNHL View Post
4 teams make up 80% of the losses too
Are the 4 top profiteers Toronto, NYR, Montreal, and Vancouver?

Are the 4 top losers Phoenix, NYI, CBJ, and STL?

MartysBetterThanYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:15 PM
tucker3434

I'd love for hockey to come back to Atlanta. Unfortunately I think there's a better shot of Miami getting a second team before the NHL comes to Atlanta again.

tucker3434 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:23 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Just my guess based on working in Seattle and Portland areas around 8 years ago.

Out off all the people I worked with (maybe 50 engineers and contractors), none of them knew anything about hockey. There was zero interest.

And the Sonics just left.

I just don't see NHL hockey being a big thing in the Pacific NW (could be wrong...?)
There is typically low interest for sports that are not in the city currently, there is lots of figures on why it would work

superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:29 PM
RC51

I am bringing this up again.
the euro division. yes this is the future of hockey.
Moscow, Zurich,Helsinki,
Stockholm,Berlin,Minsk,Prague,Bratislava.

8 euro teams in their own division.
top 4 euro teams enter the NHL playoffs

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Jocke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Moscow, Zurich,Helsinki,

I've flown from Stockholm to Los Angeles. It's not something I would recommend doing on a regular basis.

Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Seth Rollins
Sierra, Hotel, India

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Moscow, Zurich,Helsinki,

I think the KHL will expand into Western Europe long before the NHL does.

Seth Rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:50 PM
HugoSimon

It's pretty much the best time imaginable to expand into canada.

The countries undergoing a rather powerful direction change. It'd be important to keep hockey relevant in the country, before competition from other sports move in.

Not to mention its a very easy cash grab for the league.

It's be very desperate to move a western team from phoenix and dropping it into the eastern canada.

Also looking at the 4 conference proposal and it's dam near obvious the plan is for 32 teams. Winnipeg will be in the west next season so it's hard to imagine, this change not being followed through.

HugoSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:53 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Which usually flips to fruition, no?
Yeah, that's some great news for expansion.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:57 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Excuse me, but the Jets ranked 16th in Revenue, in their first Season back, in which there was huge excitement to have the team again and that big push to prove that Winnipeg could be a financial success. Now, that success certain did happen, but come on... Ranked 16th in the League. It can only go down from there, sooner or later.

Winnipeg is a success, but it's just an example to show that small market teams can do okay, can survive in this League.
With the smallest arena in the league (seats number wise), and with barely 3 months to set up the business...it's a good accomplishment. I am pretty sure Jets will get more sponsor (and better) offers and will lower their expenses by a lot.

When you are on a short schedule, and need something, you don't care about the price, you want it done in time. When you got lot of time infront of you, you care about the price.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:59 PM
MarkhamNHL

Lance Armstrong has more credibility than Bill Daly

MarkhamNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:02 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
I can see the need for a team in Quebec and would welcome it but I would rather see a team in Seattle before Toronto get's a second team.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
"Never had a plan for 32 teams"

That's why the proposed realigned divisions had two divisions with a team less, ready for expansion.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:09 PM
Hawker14

While I seldom think Daly or Bettman are ever technically lying, I've become accustomed to never believe their truth.

The truth is always hidden in their message.

Very talented lawyers.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROWE View Post
Hamilton , Quebec City , Seattle , Houston & Kansas City in 10 years & all Markham will be left with is white elephant thats if they bulid that arena .
but it'll be such a pretty white elephant. lol

much better than our white elephant btw.. sadly if Markham does go through with there white elephant it'll move Hamilton pretty much of the list of possible locations.

but on the bright side it gives us another reason to hate Toronto

Ryan34222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:42 PM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelef View Post
TORONTO is a horrible sport town.
Nice joke. Toronto is the ONLY Canadian city with 3 pro teams. No other city even has 2. Toronto supports everything, from hockey, to basketball, to baseball, to UFC (only stadium show in the history of the company), to car racing, to pseudo-sports like wrestling. No other Canadian city can dream of touching Toronto when it comes to sports.

Leafs - 100% sold-out every night for decades.

Raptors - 91.1% sold-out (13th in attendance despite being a NBA laughingstock.) They get insane levels of support for being such a joke of a team. Few others cities would ever support a team

Jays - Average 26,000 fans per game. Moe fans than Chicago, Seattle, Houston, Tampa Bay, etc. Hold the all-time MLB record for most tickets sold in a season. Will be top 10 this year in tickets sold.

Soccer - TFC is top 10 in MLS attendance, despite having a joke of a team. Was impossible to get tickets a few years ago.

Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
Are the 4 top profiteers Toronto, NYR, Montreal, and Vancouver?

Are the 4 top losers Phoenix, NYI, CBJ, and STL?
Flyers make huge coin as well, They're always soldout and have prices higher than the league average. Who knows where the money goes but in my opinion they takie in as much or more than Vancouver.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
i can easily see the big tour promoters choosing the markham motoroladome over the acc, if only for it being an easier in-out. acc ain't that special anymore.
You couldn't be more wrong. Right in the heart of downtown Toronto vs. rinky dink Markham? Pretty easy choice for 9/10 promoters.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:58 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker14 View Post
While I seldom think Daly or Bettman are ever technically lying, I've become accustomed to never believe their truth.

The truth is always hidden in their message.

Very talented lawyers.
Bingo: He's revealing what he wants to be revealed in the way he wants you to hear it. Just like when they basically denied the Thrashers were moving until the day before it happened.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:58 PM
WinterEmpire
Praise Dalpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dawg View Post
Nice joke. Toronto is the ONLY Canadian city with 3 pro teams. No other city even has 2. Toronto supports everything, from hockey, to basketball, to baseball, to UFC (only stadium show in the history of the company), to car racing, to pseudo-sports like wrestling. No other Canadian city can dream of touching Toronto when it comes to sports.
Oh please, get over yourself and get your facts straight.

There are lots of Canadian cities with 2 or more pro sports teams, many have hosted UFC before, many also have/had car racing. Just because Toronto has a large population does not mean it's sports town. There is nothing significant in the events that they have, given its size compared to other cities.

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:03 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:

Raptors - 91.1% sold-out (13th in attendance despite being a NBA laughingstock.) They get insane levels of support for being such a joke of a team. Few others cities would ever support a team

Jays - Average 26,000 fans per game. Moe fans than Chicago, Seattle, Houston, Tampa Bay, etc. Hold the all-time MLB record for most tickets sold in a season. Will be top 10 this year in tickets sold.

Soccer - TFC is top 10 in MLS attendance, despite having a joke of a team. Was impossible to get tickets a few years ago.
Montreal and Vancouver say "hai!" Hell even Hamilton, Winnipeg, Calgary, and Edmonton have 2 professional teams.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:06 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:

i think his point is its a Leafs town, so no point putting Hockey attendance in this

Raptors, well there tied to Leafs STH, and 13th in attendance is nothing to brag about.

Jays average 26000 but thats like 25th in the league and about 50percent so.

Soccer meh. TFC still got a new smell but the shine is wearing off.

Toronto does suck, the 416 cant do it by themselves. it needs the 905

Old
01-30-2013, 03:10 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
5 if you count MLS and the CFL.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan34222 View Post
i think his point is its a Leafs town, so no point putting Hockey attendance in this

Raptors, well there tied to Leafs STH, and 13th in attendance is nothing to brag about.

Jays average 26000 but thats like 25th in the league and about 50percent so.

Soccer meh. TFC still got a new smell but the shine is wearing off.

Toronto does suck, the 416 cant do it by themselves. it needs the 905
Never realized the air pollution was that bad in Hamilton, My god we have to help, the people there are truly losing their minds

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
Oh please, get over yourself and get your facts straight.

There are lots of Canadian cities with 2 or more pro sports teams, many have hosted UFC before, many also have/had car racing. Just because Toronto has a large population does not mean it's sports town. There is nothing significant in the events that they have, given its size compared to other cities.
Nice inferiority complex you have. How about you tell me what "facts" I have to get straight?

Fact: Toronto is the ONLY Canadian city with a Major League Baseball team. Vancouver has never had one and likely never will.

Fact: Toronto is the ONLY Canadian city with a National Basketball Association team. Vancouver proved that it couldn't support the NBA and lost it's team. Don't be mad just because Toronto supports basketball and Vancouver didn't.

Fact: Toronto is the ONLY city on the planet to host a UFC stadium show. The city holds the ALL-TIME record for UFC attendance. The last UFC event in Vancouver had low ticket sales and you guys probably won't get another event for quite some time.

Fact: The Leafs have received more consistent support than the Canucks, despite the vast difference in the team records. You guys weren't coming close to selling out in the early part of the decade. Meanwhile Toronto was selling out every single game.

Fact: Toronto is the best pro sports town in Canada, bar none.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:19 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Never realized the air pollution was that bad in Hamilton, My god we have to help, the people there are truly losing their minds
im on the escarpement, we're fine. theres concern for city dwellers down bellow though