HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Is the 2011 Draft class underrated?

Old
01-29-2013, 03:02 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
The best part is all we read about the 2011 draft prior to it was that it was horrendous, THN published an article that had scouts saying this.

I'd say it has been proved false.

There are a lot of picks that will be NHL players.

Good draft.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Yes, we traded away our first.

But our 2nd (Boone Jenner) has seemingly made himself into a household name up north, our 3rd (TJ Tynan) is doing great things at Notre Dame, our 4th (Mike Reilly) just won gold at the WJC (and seems on the surface pretty comparable to teammate Gostisbehere - tho I say that without having watched either of them all that closely; I suck at amateur scouting ), and our 7th (Anton Forsberg) is presently the top goaltender in the Allsvenskan.

So, yeah, 2011's looking decent right now.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Habs:

1st round Nathan Beaulieu - Offensive dman. Potential, top 4 dman
4th round: Josiah Didier - 6'2 dman playing at the U of Denver.
4th round: Olivier Archambault - Former 1st overall pick in the Q playing around a ppg. Probably not going to make it
4th round: Magnus Nygren - Overager when drafted. He's doing very well in the SEL. Was compared to MAB, as he has a big, booming shot, but was terrible on defense. Seems to have changed it around and is starting to become and all around dman. Could make the NHL.
5th Round Darren Dietz: Physical dman playing in the WHL. Big shot. Could be a 5, 6 or 7 guy.
6th round: Daniel Pribyl: 6'4 Czech centre. Started off slowly, but seems to be getting the hang of things. Has a very slight chance to be an NHLer.
7th round: Colin Sullivan - Don't follow him. However, there was a report pre-draft that the habs and Canes interviewed him. Doubt he even comes close to the NHL, but I don't follow him very closely, so who knows.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:34 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

From a Kings standpoint it was solid.

Gibson, Andreoff, Shore, and Mersch are all great prospects.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:25 PM
No Quarter

I think the Pens first to picks joe morrow and Scott Harrington are very very solid picks and will be very good pros.
Also I hope to see dominik uher makes it to the big squad some day.

No Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:27 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
It's a better draft than 2012 that's for sure.
That's what everyone says during the current draft year. "2011 class won't be nearly as good as 2010." "No way 2008 is better than 2007."

Time will tell. Can't possibly speak in absolutes yet. Give it a while.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:32 PM
StrongIslanders90

No one even brought up Ryan Strome yet....Thats crazy

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:35 PM
ed bruin

RNH was so underrated going into that draft, there wasn't as much hype as compared to the year before with Taylor Hall

ed bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:39 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed bruin View Post
RNH was so underrated going into that draft, there wasn't as much hype as compared to the year before with Taylor Hall
This is true....

IMO if he and Hall were the same draft year Hall would have went first, but I would rather have The Nuge....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoForRoughing View Post
From a Kings standpoint it was solid.

Gibson, Andreoff, Shore, and Mersch are all great prospects.
Canucks had a bad year in 10, but they haven't drafted very well lately either.

It's too early to tell but the 10 draft looks pretty strong to me, let's see in 5 years then we will have a much better idea.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:39 PM
hab 4ever

Agreed that 2011 draft class is underrated but I think 2010 remains a solid notch above.

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:00 AM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Yes, we traded away our first.

But our 2nd (Boone Jenner) has seemingly made himself into a household name up north, our 3rd (TJ Tynan) is doing great things at Notre Dame, our 4th (Mike Reilly) just won gold at the WJC (and seems on the surface pretty comparable to teammate Gostisbehere - tho I say that without having watched either of them all that closely; I suck at amateur scouting ), and our 7th (Anton Forsberg) is presently the top goaltender in the Allsvenskan.

So, yeah, 2011's looking decent right now.
Don't forget Lukas Sedlak (6th round) who captained the Czech's at the WJC. Even Seth Ambroz (5th), had shown glimpses of being the player people thought he was going into his draft year. Even without a first rounder this draft looks to have promise.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Panthers seemed to have a great draft (though they had a ton of picks):

1st round: LW/C Jonathan Huberdeau - future franchise forward (once he adds muscle)
2nd round: RW/C Rocco Grimaldi - looking better this yr and has the talent to be a top 6 forward
2nd round: D Rasmus Bengtsson - long term project d-man but has good size
3rd round: C Vincent Trocheck - having a breakout season and looked great in WJC this yr
3rd round: RW/LW Logan Shaw - another prospect having a great season and plays an NHL type game
3rd round: D Jonathan Racine - was one of the best physically in the draft (topped many categories at Combine) and has been good since traded to Moncton
3rd round: LW/C Kyle Rau - has been impressive right after being drafted and continues to score playing alongside Nick Bjugstad. Doesn't play as small as his height/weight suggest
5th round: RW/LW Yaroslav Kosov - had a great WJC and showed he can play strong 2-way hockey with best in the world
6th round: D Eddie Wittchow - another long term project but probably just depth for the farm. Still playing decent at Univ. of Wisconsin this yr as freshman
7th round: LW/RW Iiro Pakarinen - drafted as overager but hasnt been decent in limited role in SM-Liiga. Does have size to play as a bottom 6 forward in the NHL already (6'1" 200 lbs)

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:03 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
Agreed that 2011 draft class is underrated but I think 2010 remains a solid notch above.
I'd have to agree with that. Hall, Tarasenko, Seguin, Fowler, Kuznetsov, Skinner, Granlund, Gudbranson, Johansen, Burmistrov, Schwartz, Gormley, Faulk among others.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:10 PM
doubledown99

From what I remember the 2011 draft was considered weak a yr out but as the draft approached many scouts said the depth was good. The talk though was that there were only 7 impact players in the draft and then it was filled with solid depth players. If I remember correctly the 7 were:

RNH
Landeskog
Huberdeau
Larsson
Couturier
Strome
Hamilton

Zibanejad was a big riser at the end and some scouts said he could be considered with the other 7 (which was the first tier).

At least that is what I recall

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:13 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
I liked Baertschi a lot that year. I was hoping that Murray would trade up to get him or McNeill. Not as high on McNeill anymore.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:21 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

It gave the Wild Jonas Brodin. I am happy with that selection even if he is the only one to make it to the NHL. Franchise defenseman written all over him. The guy is playing exceptionally well for a 19 year old in the NHL.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:00 AM
Hutz
Classless User

I seem to recall people calling it a depth draft... No one thought there would be any elite level players, but that there were 2 solid rounds of guys that might normally go in the late 1st...

That's just what I remember hearing about it before the draft... judging by the fact that everyone seems happy with their later picks, this seems to be a pretty good assessment.

Ottawa's also pretty happy with that draft. Still way too early to tell how it pays off, though.

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:02 AM
topshelf15

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
From what I remember the 2011 draft was considered weak a yr out but as the draft approached many scouts said the depth was good. The talk though was that there were only 7 impact players in the draft and then it was filled with solid depth players. If I remember correctly the 7 were:

RNH
Landeskog
Huberdeau
Larsson
Couturier
Strome
Hamilton

Zibanejad was a big riser at the end and some scouts said he could be considered with the other 7 (which was the first tier).

At least that is what I recall
This guy is a player ,he is starting to show why he was considered in that top group

topshelf15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:09 AM
mloyko

The Boston Bruins draft looks execellent, at least the first three picks..

1- Dougie Hamilton
2- Alex Khokhlachev
3- Anothy Camara

Amazed at how good Dougie Hamilton looks right away in the NHL. He has been very good offensively, but surprised at how sound he has been in his own end as well as in transition defense.

Koko looks like a 25 goal scorer and Camara is a third line winger with some offensive potential. I'll take it.

mloyko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:38 PM
TwInS1095

vCash: 1760
No mention of Jonas Brodin...

Guy is already playing on the first pairing next to Suter and making Suter look like Nashville Suter again.

(Not to mention he's 19, 4 games into his NHL career, and still not in the kind of shape or skill level he will be a few weeks from now because he just came back from a broken collar-bone...played 1 AHL game...and got called up to the show)

Brodin will be holding down a #1 pairing spot for years to come.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:19 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
No mention of Jonas Brodin...

Guy is already playing on the first pairing next to Suter and making Suter look like Nashville Suter again.

(Not to mention he's 19, 4 games into his NHL career, and still not in the kind of shape or skill level he will be a few weeks from now because he just came back from a broken collar-bone...played 1 AHL game...and got called up to the show)

Brodin will be holding down a #1 pairing spot for years to come.
I'll admit that Brodin has great potential, sure but to be calling him a sure fire lock as a top pairing guy after 4 games is ridiculous.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:27 PM
IceManCat
Tank Disarmed

2010 draft was better

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:29 PM
TwInS1095

vCash: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
I'll admit that Brodin has great potential, sure but to be calling him a sure fire lock as a top pairing guy after 4 games is ridiculous.
Gotta hype my guys...No but obviously he's no sure fire lock. But, he does have all of the tools to be a great defenseman in this league. He's 19, D-man usually take longer to develop, and is showing the kind of skating ability, mental game, and poise that suggests he can only get better.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:57 AM
OOEEL

I still hate Phoenix's 2011 draft, think it has a lot to do with why Keith Gretzky isn't in charge of our scouting anymore.

Connor Murphy

Alexander Ruuttu

Lucas Lessio

Harrison Ruopp

Kale Kessy

Darian Dziurzynski

Andrew Fritsch

Zac Larrazza

The only pick out of there I'm still good with is Lessio.

OOEEL is offline   Reply With Quote