HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Райан О'Рейли: In Soviet Ontario Offer Sheets Sign You; Rayan's 3rd Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 03:12 PM
PeterTheGreat

vCash: 500
Hahaha O'Reillys a clown if this was his goal. Trade his ass and move on. We dont need characters like that.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:14 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
If what Dater says is true, it's clearer why he signed a two year deal in Russia. And if I'm not tin-foil worthy right now, he deserves to be shipped out of town - preferably to Long Island.
It isn't. There is no way, unless he had a time machine, that he would have known of this loophole (if it exists, I doubt it does).

Old
01-30-2013, 03:17 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
It's a bit more clear on why he wouldn't even consider signing a team's offer sheet, right?
Nah, I don't know if it's necessarily "clearer" because we don't know if this provision is accurate. However, if it is accurate, then I certainly see why Ryan and his Agents are comfortable playing this game of "contract chicken" so to speak, because as you stated previously, it seems that one way or the other O'Reilly will get paid.

Quote:
That panic stricken Dater.
This I just thought was funny

Old
01-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Drij

We should give him the money he wants for 8 years and have him rot in the ahl for that time.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:25 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Hahaha O'Reillys a clown if this was his goal. Trade his ass and move on. We dont need characters like that.
I don't understand how character is involved with business negotiation? If you think he is greedy and that might effect his character then I would might agree with you, but there isn't enough data to see if he is behind this or his agent.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Goulet17

I will say that if the two year clause is true and ROR is willing to sit out that entire time, I believe that his trade value is next to nothing. If he won't sign an offer sheet because he wants to be UFA, he won't sign a deal with any team acquiring him by trade either.

I guess getting his UFA money now is the number one goal, and he is willing to completely screw the organization in the process.

At the surface level, it looks extraordinarily bad for ROR from a PR perspective.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:37 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

adater ‏@adater
Tons of NHL teams calling about O'Reilly. But Avs say they are not dealing him

It seems if the Avs want to trade him, there could be a bidding war.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
adater ‏@adater

I hope they're just waiting for the right offer.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I hope they're just waiting for the right offer.
I don't know. I don't have a high degree of confidence that management is going to handle this situation competently. I am expecting it to be botched one way or the other.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
adater ‏@adater

Good.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:47 PM
thedoctor
                    

So this new "two year clause" supposedly in the new CBA...do we have any other sources on it besides Dater's assertion?

Old
01-30-2013, 03:50 PM
Rhaego

So he's going to sit out two years (in which he could be making roughly 4 million) for a long term deal of about 5 million? If he's doing this strictly for the money he's an idiot.

Say he got a 5 year 5 million dollar contract in two years (which he won't, especially if he sits out), that's 25 million in 7 years, roughly 3.6 million per year. The avs reported long term deal was 5 years 18 million, that's exactly 3.6 million per year. And thats under a conservative long term deal.

A bridge deal is his best option, he'll likely get paid what he wants afterwards and will have made an extra 8 mill. in the process and not sitting his ass.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Avs say they are not trading him.

Avs FO always tells it straight up and true. Looks like he's not getting traded.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Why would Avs trade him. The best solution for both team and player here is to have him signed and him playing.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Why would Avs trade him. The best solution for both team and player here is to have him signed and him playing.
I agree in theory, but sometimes the best solution is not possible and you have to realize that before it ends up harming the organization long term.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:55 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

He who shall not be mentioned actually blogged about ROR today. Does O'Reilly Have Leverage?

It's kinda interesting that he doesn't bring up the two years to UFA thingy but he does touch on something that had been bothering me. ROR played overseas after the regular season began on a professional contract. Apparently, the changes to the CBA will allow him to come back without having to clear waivers (which he would have had to do if the CBA had remained the same.)

Quote:
However, one of the player-friendly changes negotiated in the new CBA was a relaxing of rule 13.23 in certain situations. According to the Summary of Terms (Page 19, Article 13, section 1) of the new NHL-NHLPA agreement is the following amendment: "All Players on a Club’s Reserve List and Restricted Free Agent List will be exempt from application of CBA 13.23 Waivers in the case of a mid-season signing."

A late-night email from NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirms that O'Reilly would be the first case under the newly amended rules if and when he returns to the NHL this season.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Why would the Avs trade him? Cuz it's sounding more and more like he doesn't want to be here. A disgruntled player is not in the best interest of the team. Get his ankle healed, get him signed to a reasonable contract (with his understanding that signing a reasonable contract will get him the trade he wants), and get the best possible asset for him.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

vCash: 735
Quote:
But if ROR has made up his mind and wants out I say put up a sign, best offer takes all, then wait. Maybe get some pieces to help that horrid D

Old
01-30-2013, 03:58 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
He who shall not be mentioned actually blogged about ROR today. Does O'Reilly Have Leverage?

It's kinda interesting that he doesn't bring up the two years to UFA thingy but he does touch on something that had been bothering me. ROR played overseas after the regular season began on a professional contract. Apparently, the changes to the CBA will allow him to come back without having to clear waivers (which he would have had to do if the CBA had remained the same.)
RIAL blogged?

Old
01-30-2013, 03:59 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 281
he's not going to win without costing himself a lot more than he'll cost the Avs. he's screwed himself over and he's going to have to swallow his pride.

now this situation will be noted amongst fans next time he comes up for an extension.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:00 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
RIAL blogged?
What ever happened to RoyIsALegend? I was actually making fun of Eklund though...remember when HF had a filter that *'d out his name?

Old
01-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Why would the Avs trade him? Cuz it's sounding more and more like he doesn't want to be here. A disgruntled player is not in the best interest of the team. Get his ankle healed, get him signed to a reasonable contract (with his understanding that signing a reasonable contract will get him the trade he wants), and get the best possible asset for him.
Big boys eat their peas and get over having to eat them. It's easy to get frustrated with nothing happening here but I have no reason to believe O'Reilly is not mature enough to be able to get over whatever real or imagined slight that occurred here.

Perhaps he's not a professional but I suspect he is when all is said and done.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:02 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
What ever happened to RoyIsALegend? I was actually making fun of Eklund though...remember when HF had a filter that *'d out his name?

Oh, I hear he lurks around still...

Old
01-30-2013, 04:08 PM
detrude
(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
It's a bit more clear on why he wouldn't even consider signing a team's offer sheet, right?
Not really, but it sounds like he's trying to make sure the Avs get nothing from him. Signing an offersheet means the Avs at least get compensation from an unmatched offer, walking freely as a UFA means they get jack.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
From Spector

Quote:
CBC.CA: Subban’s contract talks were among the topics discussed during last night’s intermission ‘Hot Stove” segment. Glenn Healy believes Subban, a restricted free agent coming out of his entry-level contract with no arbitration rights, has “zero leverage” in these negotiations. Healy also claimed some GMs around the league have contacted the Habs inquiring into Subban’s trade status, but have been told he’s not available. PJ Stock noted the Colorado Avalanche were saying the same thing about Ryan O’Reilly. Healy also pointed out if an RFA like Subban and O’Reilly goes unsigned this season, he “loses that year”; in other words, he’s no closer to UFA status and no closer to arbitration. Kevin Weekes, meanwhile, said all the GMs he spoke to around the league cannot believe the Habs tactic on this, but Healy pointed out this is the one time a team has strong leverage over a free agent and is making the most of it.
I trust Glenn Healy more than I do Adrian Dater. Just sayin.

Closed Thread