HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXIX: Thread of LXIX

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Hawker14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by howlinhockey View Post
It's done boys. I know I know...not good for Quebec but at least you have the Avalanche!

2% sales tax??? I believe it is 3% but they plan on charging for parking and CoG has in place penalties a fail safes that require Jamison's group to put on X number of events ea season. Protects them from work stoppage etc. Sure some will say $300 mill is pricey. But in 10-15 years maybe $15 mill per year is more of a bargain then now. Also in 2015 a new naming rights will be pursued and Glendale will get a piece of that. $30 million was paid in 2006 by Jobing.com
I'm predicting a short shelf life for you.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's done boys. I know I know...not good for Quebec but at least you have the Avalanche!

2% sales tax??? I believe it is 3% but they plan on charging for parking and CoG has in place penalties a fail safes that require Jamison's group to put on X number of events ea season. Protects them from work stoppage etc. Sure some will say $300 mill is pricey. But in 10-15 years maybe $15 mill per year is more of a bargain then now. Also in 2015 a new naming rights will be pursued and Glendale will get a piece of that. $30 million was paid in 2006 by Jobing.com
No, it's not.

How does a prospective owner pay for the payroll of a team that's bleeding money if he can barely pay for the team itself?

Even if he would buy the team, and right now it doesn't look good, then how does he pay the bills?

Old
01-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Nice troll... but useless argument.
How?

Old
01-30-2013, 03:09 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:
I get you guys are mostly Canadian here and want the Coyotes to burn. But stop looking at things through your Maple leaf stained glasses. It is happening people. 98.2% positive this is a DONE DEAL! Oh I know it hurts. So much hate for so long and now nothing to hate. Try the Islanders. Better yet, relax, chill, wait for expansion. Then you can have something brand new all your own. No re-treads or hearing how the Nordiques left since QC had the smallest market in all of sports.

I may wave a Canadian flag tonight at the game lol. HATERS!
How does a prospective owner who can barely afford a team that's bleeding money pay for the payroll afterwards?

If he even buys the team.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
No re-treads or hearing how the Nordiques left since QC had the smallest market in all of sports.

Green Bay

Old
01-30-2013, 03:11 PM
PhxCoyoteFan
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
That's exactly why the league would have to slash the price. According to Forbes Sharks worthy 223, but if you want to sell, like anything else the price is less than if you are looking to buy. Yotes at 170 just makes the price of the two teams too close to being equal.
Why does it matter what Forbes says? Is that what the Sharks base their shares off of? Do they call Forbes and say "What do we pay these guys?" Forbes listed Phx as $140 mill. Sure the guys who sold were given maybe a larger chunk in the Coyotes for a cheaper price. San Jose is much smaller than Phoenix. These guys turned a Sharks team into a successful one yet even you state it's not worth much more than Phoenix? So obviously our ceiling is much much higher. Also all these reports how the Coyotes lost money....How many team in the NHL made serious $$$ last season??? 3

A handful more scraped a profit. The rest lost money. Sometimes you play the come. To own a professional sports franchise for $140 to $170 mill is sweet. I hope Powerball would give me the Yotes!

Old
01-30-2013, 03:11 PM
aj8000

vCash: 3000
Quote:
I get you guys are mostly Canadian here and want the Coyotes to burn. But stop looking at things through your Maple leaf stained glasses. It is happening people. 98.2% positive this is a DONE DEAL! Oh I know it hurts. So much hate for so long and now nothing to hate. Try the Islanders. Better yet, relax, chill, wait for expansion. Then you can have something brand new all your own. No re-treads or hearing how the Nordiques left since QC had the smallest market in all of sports.

I will believe that he has bought the team when it actually happens. I suspect that there will be an announcement before the January 31 deadline that makes it sound like it is a done deal but once to read the fine print you will realize that thinks are not what they seem.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
No, it's not.

How does a prospective owner pay for the payroll of a team that's bleeding money if he can barely pay for the team itself?

Even if he would buy the team, and right now it doesn't look good, then how does he pay the bills?
This is something I wonder about. I'm on neither side of the fence, but what does it say if the owner(s) of the Yotes can barely seem to get money for the team, how can one reasonably expect that owner to be ready to pay out the dollars over the years to keep the team competitive and re-sign UFA's and not be outbid?

Will this group be able to spend yearly to keep the teams younger talent?

Old
01-30-2013, 03:15 PM
PhxCoyoteFan
Rookie User

Quote:
How does a prospective owner who can barely afford a team that's bleeding money pay for the payroll afterwards?

If he even buys the team.
Good point. May be why 2 last minute investors moved with him. I think you need purchase price plus operating to get full BoG blessing. I could be wrong. I believe GJ will own only 20% of the Coyotes but be the face and acting owner. Most likely have up to 5 or more partners.Again just rumblings at this point. All you can do is take the nuggets your sources give you and chew it up and see what taste similar between nibbles. No one wants to go on record as blowing the whistle. But a lot like to give up something. Nash and his father talk and they ARE in the know. Trust me.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Why does it matter what Forbes says? Is that what the Sharks base their shares off of? Do they call Forbes and say "What do we pay these guys?" Forbes listed Phx as $140 mill. Sure the guys who sold were given maybe a larger chunk in the Coyotes for a cheaper price. San Jose is much smaller than Phoenix. These guys turned a Sharks team into a successful one yet even you state it's not worth much more than Phoenix? So obviously our ceiling is much much higher. Also all these reports how the Coyotes lost money....How many team in the NHL made serious $$$ last season??? 3

A handful more scraped a profit. The rest lost money. Sometimes you play the come. To own a professional sports franchise for $140 to $170 mill is sweet. I hope Powerball would give me the Yotes!
So you really want to join the list?
http://www.mybanktracker.com/news/20...lottery-curse/

Old
01-30-2013, 03:20 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
How?
Been discussed several times over the past 3+ years. You can't compare the two cities.

QC doesn't have 4 major pro sports teams competing for the same dollar, nor does it have a roughly a dozen medium to large concert venues...... etc.

If QC has all of these then you can start comparing the two. Otherwise the debate is pointless.

Old
Confucius

Quote:
Good point. May be why 2 last minute investors moved with him. I think you need purchase price plus operating to get full BoG blessing. I could be wrong. I believe GJ will own only 20% of the Coyotes but be the face and acting owner. Most likely have up to 5 or more partners.Again just rumblings at this point. All you can do is take the nuggets your sources give you and chew it up and see what taste similar between nibbles. No one wants to go on record as blowing the whistle. But a lot like to give up something. Nash and his father talk and they ARE in the know. Trust me.
If it had anything to do with the Yotes, why not say so? All this cloak and dagger stuff over the purchase of a team? It makes no sense and there would be no reason for it.

Old
ahplk

Here's my prediction based on what we've seen to date...
  • Tomorrow's deadline comes and goes, Jamison and NHL will announce he's so close but needs more time.
  • COG will agree to revisit the lease and come up with some numbers they think is more reasonable.
  • Jamison will take his time to "go over the numbers". He'll eventually agree to this revised lease (yet again) but says he will have to go back and find more funding from his investors.
  • This dog and pony show will continue for another couple months until the Coyotes season is finished and the threat of an empty arena from a lame duck season has dissipated.
  • At this point he either actually buys the team (unlikely, since his best chance at a lease is already twice removed) or the NHL finally cuts bait and sells for relocation (likely the only option).
IMHO, the only way this ends tomorrow is if the COG comes out and flat out says gramps will never see one cent or if Jamison actually buys the team. Neither of which seems likely from the past three years of this ****.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc View Post
San Jose Sharks announce ownership change
http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci...nership-change
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
Thank you as well....
... yer welcome. But Plattner made that decision all on his ownsome. Hell of a guy is Hasso. Avid bluewater racer, Team New Zealand, Most Interesting Man in the World type with guts to spare. You guys are lucky to have such a great guy as your owner really. Sterling character that one... yet, no word that he's acquired Greg Jamisons minority shares.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:24 PM
PhxCoyoteFan
Rookie User

quote from ex Sharks investors "That they enjoyed their time with the Sharks & the NHL. They are going into other ventures but will still be big fans of team."

Old
01-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Quote:
I get you guys are mostly Canadian here
Dude... I'm in Tampa

Old
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:

You aren't going to get anywhere here taunting the board with posts like this.

You are feeding a stereotype many posters here have subscribed to regarding Coyotes fans, that I and others have spent the better part of 4 years trying to refute.

Be a part of the solution and not part of the problem.

Old
Confucius

Quote:
quote from ex Sharks investors "That they enjoyed their time with the Sharks & the NHL. They are going into other ventures but will still be big fans of team."
Oh well lets all get drunk it's over

Old
01-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about?!?

You are making a link between the two San Jose investors leaving the team and the Phoenix saga?

Why would they be leaving a well-ran operation on the upswing like the San Jose Sharks with solid ownership to join up with Greg Jamison in a very deep money pit? If you tell me it is because they think they can sell and move it for more than they buy it for this year, then I'll agree with you. But that's the only way it makes sense, and that's not good news for Phoenix. That smells like seeing your team getting ***** from its assets to minimise losses until its sold again!

Old
01-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Hawker14

Quote:
Are your sources Bulls ?

Old
01-30-2013, 03:28 PM
goyotes

Quote:
You aren't going to get anywhere here taunting the board with posts like this.

You are feeding a stereotype many posters here have subscribed to regarding Coyotes fans, that I and others have spent the better part of 4 years trying to refute.

Be a part of the solution and not part of the problem.
Agreed.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:29 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:

The last time someone wrote "DONE DEAL" to me, it was last year as the Coyotes were heading to Quebec city. Yep, he was wrong ... well, Glendale forked another 25M to the surprise of everyone.. Thats probably why the Quebec old arena renovations were put on hold.

Be careful, drink some tea. Stress is no good for health you know.

Do not shout done deal based on twitter and etc. Doesnt worth it ;-)

Old
01-30-2013, 03:29 PM
PhxCoyoteFan
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
So you really want to join the list?
http://www.mybanktracker.com/news/20...lottery-curse/
I just wanted to buy the Yotes and make Arizona a better place.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:33 PM
PhxCoyoteFan
Rookie User

Quote:
Been discussed several times over the past 3+ years. You can't compare the two cities.

QC doesn't have 4 major pro sports teams competing for the same dollar, nor does it have a roughly a dozen medium to large concert venues...... etc.

If QC has all of these then you can start comparing the two. Otherwise the debate is pointless.
Not to mention PGA, Nascar, Barrett Jackson auctions, just plain great weather to fish, hike, bike, run, spring training, WNBA, and even Arena League.....Im sure im not listing 20 other things. But as a parent I know there is soooo much to do. Even movies and IMAX theaters. The culture of hockey WILL grow here. Especially with several Canadian, Connecticut, Minnesota, Michigan, and other transplants who appreciate it more. Most important is NOW kids are in hockey leagues.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:34 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:

Quebec City is a big hockey market, that's all that matters for a hockey team. If no other entity is fighting with them for the entertainment dollar, that's even better, more people going to hockey games, buying merch and giving money to the team. Quebec City also has a billionaire owner ready to buy the team on his own without anyone's help and spend to the cap. Because he will make the team profitable by cross-promoting it across a media empire that includes papers, radio, tv, magazines etc... that he also owns. He pays out of his own pocket to have a huge TV studio built in the new arena. That sounds like a guy who expects good business. Not the type that needs 20 deadlines to MAYBE have enough money to buy himself a toy.

Phoenix may have more options, but that is IN NO WAY a positive for Phoenix. So not only is Phoenix not a good hockey market, but that not-so-good hockey market has to fight with other activities that the locals do enjoy more than hockey for the people's entertainment dollar, and then the team's ownership is a mess and is looking like it will still be a mess even if the team stays in Phoenix.

So my point remains, Quebec is a better market.

Last edited by Phil Parent: 01-30-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Closed Thread