HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Neckbeards 3, Adonises 0: Cody McLeod falls face-first into an incline press

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post
This is the opposite from what the message was and has been all freaking Summer.

It was never "we have two great goalie and we're going to rotate them and play the one who performs better" - it has been "yes we are trying to shop Luongo because Cory is our #1"

It's a mess right now. Not to mention, Cory was brutal in our first game but has been better ever since.

TSN.ca: Luongo is hot (0-0-2, 1.85, .933 in last 2 GPI).

TSN.ca: Schneider is hot (2-1-0, 1.95, .935 in last 3 GPI).

How has Luongo been so much better than Schneider that he should start 2 games in a row when Schneider was touted as the #1 all summer long, by the Canucks themselves?

The goalie situation is a mess.
You are making such a huge deal out of nothing.

Schneider was playing well, then there was a back-to-back game so Luongo started.
Luongo played very well, so he earned a second straight start.

It's a shortened season, so wins are going to be much more valuable as the standings will be closer.
Not starting the guy who just had a great game would be idiotic.

Schneider will be starting a game again in the near future. He's not the permanent backup.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-30-2013, 02:31 PM
VanEric

vCash: 500
During the last broadcast, Ray Ferraro mentioned that Luongo expected to play 3 of the first 10 games. If that's the case, he gets this start and then Cory gets three in a row against Chicago, Edmonton and Minny. All those games have two days of rest in between them.

Old
struckmatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I'll take this mess over Washington, Philly, Florida, and Toronto's mess in the pipes any day.
Apples and oranges. Look at our depth...do you not see glaring holes littered throughout our group of forwards?

This is not a roster equipped to move very far in the playoffs, regardless of what blind optimistic Canucks fans think. You deal from a position of strength, but right now, no one has any freaking idea who the No. 1 is, who will be traded, whether the organization has changed their mind with Cory, whether AV sees Luongo as the starter still...?

Old
Scurr

Quote:
What's the success rate for teams who don't have a defined starting goaltender? For teams who name a starting goaltender then act completely the opposite towards that goaltender?

It rarely ever works out. If you want to sit there and believe the chance for success with 2 goalies (and nearly 10 million locked in goaltending against the cap) when there are GLARING holes on this team that could be filled by trading one of them - the Canucks have come out and said it would be Luongo - then that's good for you.

But this situation is upside down and really not being handled well at all by Gillis and Alain Vigneault.

So when does Schneider learn how to be a No.1 and the workload involved? When the safety net, Luongo, has been traded? How does that make any sense?
It doesn't usually work out because teams with two starting goalies usually have none. Boston did pretty well with a goalie battle...

Old
01-30-2013, 02:32 PM
CanucksRollin
Tweet@CanucksOnARoll

vCash: 462
I say play Schneider on Friday against the Hawks and Edmonton on Monday. Then Luongo against the Wild on Thursday.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:39 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Apples and oranges. Look at our depth...do you not see glaring holes littered throughout our group of forwards?

This is not a roster equipped to move very far in the playoffs, regardless of what blind optimistic Canucks fans think. You deal from a position of strength, but right now, no one has any freaking idea who the No. 1 is, who will be traded, whether the organization has changed their mind with Cory, whether AV sees Luongo as the starter still...?
Maybe no one is offering anything of value for Luongo? If we can't fill needs through the trade, then we won't trade him.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Babs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
During the last broadcast, Ray Ferraro mentioned that Luongo expected to play 3 of the first 10 games. If that's the case, he gets this start and then Cory gets three in a row against Chicago, Edmonton and Minny. All those games have two days of rest in between them.
This makes sense to me.

Nothing to see here, moving on.

However it'll be amusing to reading all the dramatic doomsday posts sure to be coming for the next few days.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksrool View Post
I say play Schneider on Friday against the Hawks and Edmonton on Monday. Then Luongo against the Wild on Thursday.
schnieds better play all the games

Old
01-30-2013, 02:43 PM
JuniorNelson

I think Pap might be saying Schnieder is being held out for some reason, obviously he is hinting at a trade? Obviously Schnieder has some upside on Luongo in a trade scenario. I hope Gillis gets a better return than Dallas got for their potential starter.

Schnieder is still a potential starter because he hasn't demonstrated he can start, yet. Luongo starting consequtive games does not facilitate this. It makes Schnieder look like a pretend starter! Did Gillis think he could hoodwink somebody into accepting an unproven goaltender by calling him the starter? LOL!

It's more likely that Schnieder has the flu.

Canucks 4 Colarado 0

Old
01-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:

I liked this post better in "Chicken Little".

Take it easy big fella. This happens every start to the season. We'll be fine, we are going to make the playoffs and probably win the division. Nothing to get bent out of shape yet.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I liked this post better in "Chicken Little".

Take it easy big fella. This happens every start to the season. We'll be fine, we are going to make the playoffs and probably win the division. Nothing to get bent out of shape yet.
Exactly. Tonight worries me (first game back after a road trip) but in a few days the mood could really change. Win tonight, beat the Blackhawks on Friday and we'll be planning the cup parade

Old
01-30-2013, 02:49 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Exactly. Tonight worries me (first game back after a road trip) but in a few days the mood could really change. Win tonight, beat the Blackhawks on Friday and we'll be planning the cup parade
Are the Hawks still undefeated?

Someone better say hello to DKeith on friday.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:50 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
Are the Hawks still undefeated?
Until Friday, they are.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Yes, and as a treat. I went to a GDT of the game we lost to Coyotes after the Blackhawks trounced us on HNIC a couple years back. Even got a nice, long rant from yours truly in the younger years. (yes, from the season we almost won the Cup).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
Can't see us doing anything in the playoffs. All of our players that had "career" years last year have now come down to earth. Mason Raymond looks like a below average 3rd liner capable of 40 pts a year. Alex Burrows is nothing but a checking line winger. Then there is Luongo who has been awful. Mikael is a plug..
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobro View Post
until luongo starts playing like the luongo of old.his name is:

roberta luongo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck* View Post
If the Canucks were playing the Canucks, we would have won 7-2 today
Quote:
This team is far different from other championship teams. If we want to be considered so, we have to go through a similar process through the duration of a whole season.

Other championship teams you see, analyze a problem. They look at the problem and ask themselves how they can fix that problem. The Canucks continually have slow starts to start the season what seems every year. Yet, they never question that because it's "their process" and while I respectfully live with that process, it is not the process championship teams go through. It's the reason why in February, teams like Detroit are 20 points up in their division sitting players like Lidstrom and Zetterberg every other night because they can afford to.

Other championship teams ask themselves when they lose, "Did we really play hard tonight?", "Then why did we lose, were we not playing smart?", They review their play and work to fix inconsistencies in their game. The Canucks seem to always shrug it off, "It just wasn't our night, the refs missed a couple calls and we hit too many posts." What kind of a process is this?

Other championship teams head coaches go to the media and they know they didn't play up to their own standard and are fuming after the game, a la Babcock, Quenneville, Bowman. We have AV, "It's really not a big deal, things just didn't go our way and we'll get 'em next time." He does not have the intensity or compete level needed to win a Stanley Cup (when was the last time you've seen him yelling at his team during a TO, or come to a post-game conference with steam coming out of his ears, right, me neither). Sadly I think this is seeping in to the mind's of the players.

We could do much better tonight, especially after a piss poor effort last night, and it just wasn't there and right now, I am not sure it will be there for awhile.

I am not looking forward to the $100 I dropped on Wednesday's game.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:02 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Yes, and as a treat. I went to a GDT of the game we lost to Coyotes after the Blackhawks trounced us on HNIC a couple years back. Even got a nice, long rant from yours truly in the younger years. (yes, from the season we almost won the Cup).
Damn...that must be awkward for you guys

Old
01-30-2013, 03:03 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
What's the success rate for teams who don't have a defined starting goaltender? For teams who name a starting goaltender then act completely the opposite towards that goaltender?

It rarely ever works out.
woah!! what a convenient question you asked there! good work supporting that claim with literally anything but your own silly assertions

Old
01-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
schnieds better play all the games
yyeah man or im gonna ri*t tell you what

Old
01-30-2013, 03:13 PM
MTechnik
Clutch

vCash: 105
3-2 shootout lost.

AV sound like an idiot every time he gets quoted, nice job creating a goalie controversy you dumbass.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:16 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
3-2 shootout lost.

AV sound like an idiot every time he gets quoted, nice job creating a goalie controversy you dumbass.
Yes, just now the goalie controversy has started.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:19 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Don't know why anyone is surprised Luongo is starting.

- This is consistent with what AV and Gillis have said ALL season - we have 2 #1's.
- Luongo coming off a stellar game where he stole us a point..
- Scheduling sets up nicely anyway for Schneider to get the bigger game vs Chicago unless Luongo lights it up again...
- Schneider still hasn't earned being the guy that deserves to play 2 outta every 3 starts over Luongo.

Everything that has been said and every thing we've see play out on the ice indicates the goaltenders will be splitting with the hotter goalie getting games with a lean towards Schneider.

The media is ridiculous here... Sekaras on the radio is doing his best to rile the fanbase over this huge controversy of Luongo shockingly starting TWO games in a row. OMG. 2.

And the way the schedule breaks down here.... Even if they are working Schneider in as the true #1 even with Luongo here... Considering the fact Luongo is not a typical backup, and still needs his games... wouldn't it make sense to start Luongo now vs Col ( so he has 3 of the first 7) knowing you are coming back with Schneider vs the present top team in the West?

If you guys really think he's the better option to win, wouldn't this be the way to 'spot' your 'backup' anyway?

Luongo playing tonight makes sense with either philosophy...
(as long as people can drop the expectation that Schneider is going get a typical #1 ratio of games like Luongo last yr - just not going to happen when you have a vet like Luongo as that supposed backup)

Old
01-30-2013, 03:20 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
GASP.... You mean it kinda makes sense to start Luongo tonight?

Too bad the media can't figure it out.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:20 PM
rattytattat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
3-2 shootout lost.

I thought when he was asked if Roberto is our number one goalie ..av said " tonight he is" was actually pretty clever..

Old
01-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Moore Money

this should be our top6. might be able to produce some offfense this way.

sedin-sedin-kassian
raymond-schroeder-burrows

Old
01-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Damn...that must be awkward for you guys
To defend myself it was more a healthy critique of what the team should have been doing. I was wrong. Nothing awkward about being wrong, it's not the first time I've been and won't be the last. Too many people don't see that.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:28 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksallent View Post
Man I've been seeing those recent 'Participaction' commercials that simply say "Let's bring back play!" and have been outraged at the lack of our speedo wearing spokesmen!

I had visual memories of those commercials but couldn't remember the details, specifically - Body Break with Hal Johnson and Joanne McLeod. Thanks for clearing that up!

Closed Thread