HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Biggs's discussion thread.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:06 PM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Same thing I felt all along, I think he is a 3rd liner that can be moved up to the top 6 when the situation arises against more physical teams. Tyler's value will never be measured in simple points totals. If he can become a 50 point winger, he will be almost untouchable.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Flavour View Post
Of course you can ask for more from him. His teammate Boone Jenner drafted a few spots later in the same year is scoring at a much better pace, nearly a goal per game. Brett Ritchie's having a much better year too. Nicklas Jensen put up a PPG in his draft year and again last year. Brandon Saad's playing in the NHL and Stefan Noesen is also scoring at a similar pace in the OHL. Unless you had really low expectations for Biggs to begin with, I don't know how you can say he's exceeding them. Putting up a PPG as a forward in the CHL two years after you're drafted is not particularly special nor is it anything like a guarantee of future success in the pros.
All the players you're comparing him with are different types of players other than Saad, who, yes is playing in the NHL currently but hasn't registered a point yet. Biggs is a power forward, they take a lot longer.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:24 AM
johnny_rudeboy

How would you guys who seen our prospects more then I have compare Biggs in terms of style and talent to Carter Ashton? They are both two big wingers with power forward potential, HF rank them both as 7C and they both went late first in their respective drafts.
Fun fact is that their fathers both belonged to Minnesota North stars at the same time in the mid 80´s. Biggs only played 1 game dough.

I was looking through their stats and offensively (at the same age) they dont look so far apart. And seeing as Biggs shots right and Ashton is a leftie it would be fun if they could end up on the same line either for the Marlies in the end of this season or next to see if they can get some bone crushing chemistry.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
All the players you're comparing him with are different types of players other than Saad, who, yes is playing in the NHL currently but hasn't registered a point yet. Biggs is a power forward, they take a lot longer.
Really, not a single one of those other prospects is a power forward? Do you have to be 220+ pounds to be considered a power forward or what?

Cap'n Flavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:33 AM
topched

Quote:
Really, not a single one of those other prospects is a power forward? Do you have to be 220+ pounds to be considered a power forward or what?
In the NHL... yes quite frankly. Maybe not at the extreme of 220... but still.

Its the difference between guys like JVR, Jeff Carter and say James Neal (big guys with skill), vs. players like Clowe, Malone, Simmonds and Lucic.

The latter players are guys who Biggs style translates to. He's not going to be a 35-40 goal scorer who uses his feet and hands while driving to the net.

He's gonna be a guy who crashes the net, bothers opposing goalies, goes to the "dirty" areas and scores "dirty" goals and punishes dmen on the forecheck. Sure he man top out at 25 goals a year, but is a good complement to finesse players.

topched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:45 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
How would you guys who seen our prospects more then I have compare Biggs in terms of style and talent to Carter Ashton? They are both two big wingers with power forward potential, HF rank them both as 7C and they both went late first in their respective drafts.
Fun fact is that their fathers both belonged to Minnesota North stars at the same time in the mid 80´s. Biggs only played 1 game dough.

I was looking through their stats and offensively (at the same age) they dont look so far apart. And seeing as Biggs shots right and Ashton is a leftie it would be fun if they could end up on the same line either for the Marlies in the end of this season or next to see if they can get some bone crushing chemistry.
Biggs is a better skater. For a big man he's pretty fast and light on his feet. He has a pro body -- thick and muscled.

Ashton not as fast or strong. Biggs is also the better fighter. Ashton does use his size to protect the puck better in the corners.

Overall Biggs is the more powerful and explosive of the two. Neither have elite skill and both must play a big man's game to realize their potential.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Smif

Quote:
Jenner's style is the closest thing but he's big right now in the OHL. In the NHL he's not a power forward. All the guys you listed were drafted as scoring forwards with size, like Jeff Carter. Biggs was drafted purely as a power forward.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:54 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Biggs is a better skater. For a big man he's pretty fast and light on his feet. He has a pro body -- thick and muscled.

Ashton not as fast or strong. Biggs is also the better fighter. Ashton does use his size to protect the puck better in the corners.

Overall Biggs is the more powerful and explosive of the two. Neither have elite skill and both must play a big man's game to realize their potential.
Ah thanks. Well at least we have one prototypical power forward in the system. Dont mind a defensive minded power forward like Ashton either. A bit like Kulemin perhaps?

Old
01-30-2013, 01:48 PM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
I know better than to get into a discussion with a leafs fan (Dad is a major leaf's fan) but, I would call Nicklas Jensen a Power Forward, no?

Anyway, I have been impressed with Biggs, im normally hard to impress when it comes to leafs prospects!

His points in Jr. are fine, but are in no way an indication of his talent, Jensens numbers were far from impressive, and didn't really progress in his second year in the O.

But his numbers in pro (AHL & SEL) are impressive, he himself, has said he is more suited for the more tactical pro game.

Maybe the same is the case for Biggs? anywho I see allot of similarities in the two

Id love to have him in Vancouver...

ImGoingNucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:18 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Of course you can ask for more from him. His teammate Boone Jenner drafted a few spots later in the same year is scoring at a much better pace, nearly a goal per game. Brett Ritchie's having a much better year too. Nicklas Jensen put up a PPG in his draft year and again last year. Brandon Saad's playing in the NHL and Stefan Noesen is also scoring at a similar pace in the OHL. Unless you had really low expectations for Biggs to begin with, I don't know how you can say he's exceeding them. Putting up a PPG as a forward in the CHL two years after you're drafted is not particularly special nor is it anything like a guarantee of future success in the pros.
i would take biggs over all of those players for future of NHL. a lot of players score in junior... does it translate to the NHL? well look at gregg mckegg if u want to look at Jenner, because although i really wanted Jenner he isn't better than Biggs. Biggs can do things that all those guys cant, and Jensen is a head case... talk to Generals fans they know

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
His OFF has dropped off a bit it seems, but still flirting with PPG.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:48 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Ah thanks. Well at least we have one prototypical power forward in the system. Dont mind a defensive minded power forward like Ashton either. A bit like Kulemin perhaps?
Biggs is good defensively as well and also a great PKer. I personally think his penalty killing abilities is one of his best attributes.

SpeakerForTheDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Mat Fratthouse

Wish we could somehow pry Boone Jenner from Columbus. Him and Biggs would be gold in a few years.

I like Biggs progression Ive caught a few generals games and Im gonna go see him and percy this friday.

Mat Fratthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:08 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Fratthouse View Post
Wish we could somehow pry Boone Jenner from Columbus. Him and Biggs would be gold in a few years.

I like Biggs progression Ive caught a few generals games and Im gonna go see him and percy this friday.
Doesnt Jenner have skating issues?

Old
01-30-2013, 05:10 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
Biggs is good defensively as well and also a great PKer. I personally think his penalty killing abilities is one of his best attributes.
That sounds great. Biggs feels like one of those prospects you just know will become regular NHLers. You just dont know if he will be able to score like a top six player or end up as a good 3rd liner.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Doesnt Jenner have skating issues?
I wouldn't say he does. It not his strong suit, But it's ok.

The center on CBJ I'd be after is RJ. I'd even tempt them with our 1st.

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
Quote:
That sounds great. Biggs feels like one of those prospects you just know will become regular NHLers. You just dont know if he will be able to score like a top six player or end up as a good 3rd liner.
Biggs also seems to have fantastic character. Every single time I watch an interview of his, I come away impressed. Even if he only has the skill to be a third-liner, he could ride shot-gun on a line with guys like Kadri and JVR. His physical tools would compliment their skill, and he has some offensive abilities as well.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:23 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
Biggs also seems to have fantastic character. Every single time I watch an interview of his, I come away impressed. Even if he only has the skill to be a third-liner, he could ride shot-gun on a line with guys like Kadri and JVR. His physical tools would compliment their skill, and he has some offensive abilities as well.
He looked and talked like a very mature young man in the interviews after he was drafted, something that impressed me. He had the mixture of being humble and a bit cocky at the same time.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:16 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

I cant wait for Biggs to make the Leafs.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
I wouldn't say he does. It not his strong suit, But it's ok.

The center on CBJ I'd be after is RJ. I'd even tempt them with our 1st.
Haha I thought you meant RJ umberger for a second

But I wouldn't trade our first for RyJo.

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:31 PM
Interactif

Tyler scored 2 goals (18 and 19)last Saturday against the Greyhounds. 2 nice snipes. You can view them here on the game highlights.

http://www.soogreyhounds.com/

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:32 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Jenner's style is the closest thing but he's big right now in the OHL. In the NHL he's not a power forward. All the guys you listed were drafted as scoring forwards with size, like Jeff Carter. Biggs was drafted purely as a power forward.
I would say Jenner has Mike Richards' upside if he excels at the NHL level. Small, gritty players who can put up points. Kadri will hopefully continue his pace and could become a similar player as well.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Jenner is not small. I'm not sure his exact dimensions but I'm pretty sure he's around 6'2" and well over 200 lbs

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I would say Jenner has Mike Richards' upside if he excels at the NHL level. Small, gritty players who can put up points. Kadri will hopefully continue his pace and could become a similar player as well.
6'2 204 lbs. Much different style than Kadri and Richards. Also much lower offensive upside than Kadri. I see Jenner as an ideal 3rd line C, A Brandon Sutter type of player, with a little bit more of an edge.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:13 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
6'2 204 lbs. Much different style than Kadri and Richards. Also much lower offensive upside than Kadri. I see Jenner as an ideal 3rd line C, A Brandon Sutter type of player, with a little bit more of an edge.
I agree. Brandon Sutter is an excellent compairison.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote