HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix LXIX: Thread of LXIX

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 03:34 PM
PhxCoyoteFan
Rookie User

vCash: 500
so many places that NHL is considering not just QC. Seattle, Hamilton, and many places but Bettman wants to keep this team here or at worst in the US.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:35 PM
BuffaloAZ

I am a Coyotes fan; I am thinking the Sharks ownership change as pure coincidence. I think today and tomorrow come and go with not much news to report. Would I love to have this resolved…of course, but the optimism isn’t there. Too many conflicting reports out there to hold belief one way or another.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:36 PM
PhxCoyoteFan
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Quebec City is a big hockey market, that's all that matters for a hockey team. If no other entity is fighting with them for the entertainment dollar, that's even better, more people going to hockey games, buying merch and giving money to the team. Quebec City also has a billionaire owner ready to buy the team on his own without anyone's help and spend to the cap. Because he will make the team profitable buy cross-promoting it across a media empire that includes papers, radio, tv, magazines etc... that he also owns.

Phoenix may have more options, but that is IN NO WAY a positive for Phoenix. So not only is Phoenix not a good hockey market, but that not-so-good hockey market has to fight with other activities that the locals do enjoy more than hockey for the people's entertainment dollar, and then the team's ownership is a mess and is looking like it will still be a mess even if the team stays in Phoenix.

So my point remains, Quebec is a better market.
I totally agree. But with 10 million residents in the valley the NHL wants this market which is top 10 in the nation.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlinhockey View Post
I totally agree. But with 10 million residents in the valley the NHL wants this market which is top 10 in the nation.
Uuummm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_metropolitan_area

Old
01-30-2013, 03:40 PM
blues10

Quote:
I get you guys are mostly Canadian here and want the Coyotes to burn. But stop looking at things through your Maple leaf stained glasses. It is happening people. 98.2% positive this is a DONE DEAL! Oh I know it hurts. So much hate for so long and now nothing to hate. Try the Islanders. Better yet, relax, chill, wait for expansion. Then you can have something brand new all your own. No re-treads or hearing how the Nordiques left since QC had the smallest market in all of sports.

I may wave a Canadian flag tonight at the game lol. HATERS!
Wow what an insightful post! I can't wait to read more.

That 1.8% seems a little low, why not go out on a limb and just call it 100%.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Vinc360

Too bad the market doesn't want the NHL

Old
01-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Vinc360

Lots of things seem to be moving among Coyotes/QC fans... sure sign that something's up. I still bet on GJ not buying the team.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

Quote:
4 millions more or less.

There's less hockey fans in Phoenix than there are in Quebec City and the city is like 8 times bigger! That's the only thing that matters.

If city size mattered notwithstanding hockey market size, Atlanta would still have its team. But that team is now playing in front of sold out houses in Winnipeg, where it belongs.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:42 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Yeah but the NHL let the Thrashers leave a bigger market last year.

Anyway, you, me, and all the folks here have not the single iota of influence lol

But IMHO, PHX had its chance and unless a miracle happens, the Yotes are soon on a moving process.

Stop looking at everyones elses behaviour, the arena was not built at the right place, and the interest was not there.

PS I can be wrong, have no inside source.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:44 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
I thought Westgate was going to be just fine with the new anchor tenants? Tangiers outlet? Or something like that. I thought they were going to draw more people to the area than the hockey team ever could.
Tanger gets people there to shop, sure. But ask any of the bars around the arena. They are dead unless there is something going on at either Jobing.com or University of Phoenix Stadium.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:45 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Now that population estimate is just plain as wrong as sin. Or are you counting all the cats, dogs, roof rats and birds to get to 10 million residents in the valley?

I have never seen any cats or roof rats or birds at a Coyotes game; I have seen some guide dogs on occasion but I'm pretty sure they didn't buy their own tickets at least not on a regular enough basis to turn things around. Perhaps you think that will change and in five years we'll see thousands of guide dogs in attendance every night?

Your posts are an embarassment to actual hockey fans. 10 million residents in the valley... But hey, great enthusiasm lmao...

Old
01-30-2013, 03:45 PM
PhxCoyoteFan
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Ok maybe 7 million is more accurate but in AZ we have a lot who dont report to census....why we have an immigration problem.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:46 PM
silvercanuck

The CoG should look at alternatives to the Coyotes before they re-up their $300 million subsidy. It's quite obvious that even with full attendance there is not enough demand to justify NHL prices. $50 for lower bowl seats is absurd.

How about putting a couple of AHL teams in the SW. One in Glendale and one reasonably close by bus. The CoG could subsidize airline travel for a hell of a lot less than $15 million per year. That would be the sensible thing to do instead of continuing this pipe-dream of NHL hockey being viable at an outlet mall in the middle of nowhere.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Vinc360

Howlinwhatever... please stop, it's getting painful to watch.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:51 PM
TheLegend
Home Sweet Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Quebec City is a big hockey market, that's all that matters for a hockey team. If no other entity is fighting with them for the entertainment dollar, that's even better, more people going to hockey games, buying merch and giving money to the team. Quebec City also has a billionaire owner ready to buy the team on his own without anyone's help and spend to the cap. Because he will make the team profitable by cross-promoting it across a media empire that includes papers, radio, tv, magazines etc... that he also owns. He pays out of his own pocket to have a huge TV studio built in the new arena. That sounds like a guy who expects good business. Not the type that needs 20 deadlines to MAYBE have enough money to buy himself a toy.

Phoenix may have more options, but that is IN NO WAY a positive for Phoenix. So not only is Phoenix not a good hockey market, but that not-so-good hockey market has to fight with other activities that the locals do enjoy more than hockey for the people's entertainment dollar, and then the team's ownership is a mess and is looking like it will still be a mess even if the team stays in Phoenix.

So my point remains, Quebec is a better market.
Nobody is debating that QC isn't a good hockey market. Even I hope to see NHL hockey return there. But you tried making the justification by slamming another market (ie Phoenix.)

That isn't debating in my book.

It the same thing as the few people who use StubHub (and $4 ticket prices) as an excuse to slam Phoenix. Yet now I'm seeing reports of tickets appearing there from other NHL cities (including at least one Canadian one) for even less than that.

Do I now try claiming those teams are bad markets too? The discussion here goes far beyond that.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Glacial

Quote:
Ok maybe 7 million is more accurate but in AZ we have a lot who dont report to census....why we have an immigration problem.
Anyone think this guy is for real? Or is he that thick?
"10 million!"
shown proof its 4 million
"Ok, 7 million"
What next? "The census undercounted the population by 40%!"

10 million? 7 million? Arizona doesn't even have 7 million people! A 2012 estimate put it at 6.55 million. Incidentally, Quebec has 8.08 million.

Last edited by Glacial: 01-30-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
01-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Coramoor

Quote:
Arizona has a population of 6.5 million as a whole

what in the world are you smoking

Old
01-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Evil Doctor
Damn you Taylor Reed

Quote:
3 million undocumented aliens....

Old
01-30-2013, 03:56 PM
thom

Definition of a true hockey market is in Quebec City a Guy Lafleur or Jean Beliveau would be mobbed by fans.In non-hockey market people would ask who are They?

Old
Vinc360

He has to be trolling...

Old
Kebekoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
Anyone think this guy is for real? Or is he that thick?
"10 million!"
shown proof its 4 million
"Ok, 7 million"
What next? "The census undercounted the population by 40%!"

10 million? 7 million? Arizona doesn't even have 7 million people! A 2012 estimate put it at 6.55 million. Incidentally, Quebec has 8.08 million.
"It's OK, they does'nt count the illegals..."

Old
01-30-2013, 03:57 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Tanger gets people there to shop, sure. But ask any of the bars around the arena. They are dead unless there is something going on at either Jobing.com or University of Phoenix Stadium.
I still have yet to find anyone that can satisfactorally explain why it makes sense for a tiny municipality to spend $15 million a year on a subsidy to an arena manager just to make sure a handful of bars across the parking lot from that arena stay in business.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Glacial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
3 million undocumented aliens....

Indeed. Not only are there Mexicans flooding across the southern border, but there are illegal Canadian immigrants who fly in across the US-Canada border down to Arizona on great white snowbirds, then there is a colony of Grays from the Zeta Reticuli system, who come there from above (The Phoenix Lights, man, the lights, the lights!), and then they get the reptile people from below, who burrow up from the Inner Earth to get into Arizona. That's how they can arrive at 3 million undocumented aliens. Did I mention the invaders from the fifth dimension?

Old
01-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

howlinhockey has now been successfully added to your ignore list. You will now be returned to where you were.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:04 PM
PhxCoyoteFan
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
Indeed. Not only are there Mexicans flooding across the southern border, but there are illegal Canadian immigrants who fly in across the US-Canada border down to Arizona on great white snowbirds, then there is a colony of Grays from the Zeta Reticuli system, who come there from above (The Phoenix Lights, man, the lights, the lights!), and then they get the reptile people from below, who burrow up from the Inner Earth to get into Arizona. That's how they can arrive at 3 million undocumented aliens. Did I mention the invaders from the fifth dimension?
whatever I knew it was mid 6 million range. I just rounded up and cited illegals to get there.

Closed Thread