HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

The Mars Volta have broken up

Old
01-29-2013, 06:16 PM
belair

vCash: 500
A great band that I got bored of as time went on. Saw them live four times and they always put on a solid show. Like someone said, they never topped De-Loused, but Frances was damn close. I might've kept an interest had John Frusciante not filled Omar's head with the idea that he was ****ing Carlos Santana.

Love 'em even though Omar's a bit of a d*****.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:33 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

I agree with the general sentiment. Early stuff was great, but the later albums got progressively worse. Honestly, this is probably for the best if they were going to keep putting out crap like the last two albums. I'm just sad that I decided to skip out on their last show through Vancouver. I was going to catch them the next time they came through instead.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

That sucks. Never got to see them live. I remember buying De-loused when it first came out, it blew my mind. I didn't know if I liked it or not. Heard some of Frances and didn't get back to listening to them until a few years ago.

I too enjoy Amputechture a lot for some reason. Can't say if it's better than the previous ones, but I just keep thinking of songs from it.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Gustav Nyquist

I heard that in a recent interview they hinted that ATDI may be getting back together?

Gustav Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Verschtunken

One of my favorite bands ever, but it was time to go. I enjoyed Noctourniquet, but it was kind of a mess, and definitely not on par with the first four albums. Frances the Mute is one of my favorite albums ever, and while I'm not much of a fan of Deloused's aesthetics (I prefer Amputechture and Bedlam), it's definitely a very well crafted album.

An ATDI reunion won't happen with Omar, that's for sure. He did lose his mother shortly before the reunion show that was posted a page back, which kind of explains how depressed he looks, but he stated that he wasn't too keen on reforming anyhow.

Verschtunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verschtunken View Post
One of my favorite bands ever, but it was time to go. I enjoyed Noctourniquet, but it was kind of a mess, and definitely not on par with the first four albums. Frances the Mute is one of my favorite albums ever, and while I'm not much of a fan of Deloused's aesthetics (I prefer Amputechture and Bedlam), it's definitely a very well crafted album.

An ATDI reunion won't happen with Omar, that's for sure. He did lose his mother shortly before the reunion show that was posted a page back, which kind of explains how depressed he looks, but he stated that he wasn't too keen on reforming anyhow.
Unfortunately it doesn't, because he's had the same demeanor during Mars Volta shows prior to that and had the same demeanor during other ATDI sets. He's just bored with the music and he never should've bothered to continue with it if he was going to be so uncaring about it.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:59 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Good riddance. I absolutely loved De-loused and they went downhill from that.. and not in a graceful way either.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 11:19 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Soooo.....

http://www.volcom.com/news/in-the-st...th-antemasque/
Quote:
Revealed earlier today via short cryptic videos; producer Omar Rodriguez-Lopez has teamed up with long time collaborator Cedric Bixler-Zavala (both men of Mars Volta and At The Drive In fame) on a new project with former Mars Volta drummer Dave Elitch and the legendary Flea on bass. The new band, ANTEMASQUE, has been hunkered down in the studio and Volcom is proud to be able to present a longer look behind-the-scenes of the band recording their debut song, "4AM".

Last edited by The Mars Volchenkov: 04-08-2014 at 11:24 PM.
The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 11:31 PM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Soooo.....
haha man your username and this thread; epic

I don't care if your in an actual badass version of Mumford and Sons. You drop any gig to go play with Flea

As a band they ****ed a bit too much for my taste. always got to give love to the lefty guitarists though. My favorite track is Telavators. it's chilling. gonna go proverbial spin it in their honor

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Central PA Hawk Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Sounds intriguing at least, I'll give it a shot. Cedric"s voice is better when its paired with harder edged music, I didn't care for Octahedron or Noctourniquet so I wasn't too upset with TMV disbanding. Get back to more straight ahead rock songs and leave all the prog stuff to others, you're soo good at the former.

Central PA Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 09:16 AM
Trance Kuja
Retired for now.

Well, that sucks.

04-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Central PA Hawk Fan

So i just went on youtube and they do have the actual full song up now...

Its ok imo, nothing earth shattering...I'll wait for the full album, curious what direction they're going to take this project.

Central PA Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central PA Hawk Fan View Post
These guys need to start doing drugs again.

Kyle Doobas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 07:22 PM
WhiteMandingo

Seen them in Saskatoon in 2006. They opened for Red Hot Chili Peppers I thought they were terrible but that's just my opinion.

WhiteMandingo is offline   Reply With Quote