HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Bylsma/coaching discussion thread

View Poll Results: How long do you give Dan?
Fire him now 18 22.22%
15 games 33 40.74%
30 games 4 4.94%
Fire him if we fail in the play-offs 23 28.40%
Keep him till next year 3 3.70%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-30-2013, 03:19 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

vCash: 500
Well, he sounds convinced, so I'm convinced!
Quote:
Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly

Malkin on adjusted #Penguins power play with him on right point: "We just want to do what works. It’s tough. We’ll see tomorrow" vs. NYR.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Malkin for Player-Coach - he knows Neal belongs down low.
Brian Strait for Assistant GM - he tells it like it is.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:20 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Sounds like a ringing endorsement, to me!

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordax View Post
I'm so glad you can still find this via Google Image search...

Holy **** I don't remember ever seeing that before. That is just what the doctor ordered after last night. Nicely done.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Anyone think this team is missing Steve Sullivan too? Not that he was some great player but people seem to forget he had 50 pts last year and all of that production is basically gone.

Luigi Lemieux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:27 PM
gopens66

I have witnessed an obvious decline in order, cohesiveness if you will, since 08-09. In the stretch from then until now, we have seen key players miss major amounts of games. During this stretch we still managed to put up respectable, or better than respectable point totals. This overshadowed the growing lack of order. I have been patiently willing to give Byslma the benefit of the doubt, due to the lack of important pieces. Losing centers in Staal, Malkin, and Crosby for significant chunks of the past few seasons alone will create a lack of cohesiveness with the remaining players shuffling around and playing with lesser linemates. What I'm talking about, however, is not a lack of chemistry, it's the lack of an evident plan. Breakouts, neutral zone play, o-zone entry is all about seeing/knowing what the other team is doing against you, preparing for that beforehand with gametape, and formulating a counter(one that works). Do we ever see any change in what we're trying? I see us dumping the puck from our own zone with a forward tipping it at center red to avoid the icing, and then chasing. This happens all game long. This one "play" seems to be our all-in-one breakout/neutral zone/o-zone entry "plan" every game against every team. There is no wonder why we can look good enough in the regular season and bow out of the playoffs. Other teams gameplan over a seven game series, and we roll out the same "plan".

gopens66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:29 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
Anyone think this team is missing Steve Sullivan too? Not that he was some great player but people seem to forget he had 50 pts last year and all of that production is basically gone.
No question.

He lugged the puck up ice on the powerplay, too. Not to mention constituted an actual threat on the left side of the ice with his right handed shot and underrated playmaking ability.

He was frustrating, sometimes... but his absence is certainly a factor. At the very least on the powerplay.

Everyone assumed the offense would be gravy this year because CROSBYMALKIN and TOPFIVEPOWERPLAY. But I don't know if they factored the departure of Sullivan and, of course, Staal into the equation when coming up with that conclusion.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:31 PM
The Oneironaut
FIRE SHERO/BYLSMA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Malkin's not been good enough. He needs to be told that. He has to step it up.
You're absolutely right. But under no circumstances to you pencil in the reigning Art Ross Trophy winner on the second Power Play Unit surrounded by **** talent. If you believe taking him off the top unit is the best way to send the message, you do it for one or two PP's, if that.

On your second point- it would be nice to be able to roll two units. But we're between three and five players away from being able to do that. We just don't have the pieces.

The Oneironaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Shockmaster

I still can't understand for the life of me why Bylsma is stubbornly keeping Glass on the third line an Cooke on his off-wing? If Jeffrey is playing on Malkin's line, just put Glass back on the fourth and roll with Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy on the third.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:33 PM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
Malkin for Player-Coach - he knows Neal belongs down low.
Brian Strait for Assistant GM - he tells it like it is.
Malkin for Jack Adams avatars?

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:35 PM
gopens66

See, the Islander's head coach agrees with me:

"I'm sure nobody gave us much of a chance against a really good hockey team, but you know what I thought systematically we were a little more structured, over the last game for sure," coach Jack Capuano said. "We were a little more sound in a lot of areas tonight."

That sounds like political/nicey-nice talk for, "They had no clue what they (or we) were doing."

Agree?

gopens66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:40 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopens66 View Post
See, the Islander's head coach agrees with me:

"I'm sure nobody gave us much of a chance against a really good hockey team, but you know what I thought systematically we were a little more structured, over the last game for sure," coach Jack Capuano said. "We were a little more sound in a lot of areas tonight."

That sounds like political/nicey-nice talk for, "They had no clue what they (or we) were doing."

Agree?
He's comparing how they played against Winnipeg. The trains already rolling, no need to start reaching now.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:42 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Heh... I always loved that Whitney is pink.
No man, Sid having a heart drawn under his name is the kicker for me. I die of laughter every time I see it.

What's sad to me is that the entire pp would be night and day if either Sid or Geno were right handed shots.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:48 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Evgeni Malkin moved to the right point, although during practice he floated down to the half wall as well. James Neal, who worked the point for the first six games of the season, is back to his old position down low. Defenseman Kris Letang moves to the left point with Sidney Crosby on the half wall and Chris Kunitz at the net.
Quote:
“I’m playing the point right now. I’ve played the point before,” Malkin said. “I’m a good playmaker. I can pass to ‘Sid’ or ‘Tanger’ for a one-timer. I hope it works.
Just want to note, too, for all those folks commenting about how badly Malkin is playing ... he played just fine for Maurice and Bill during the lockout. Sure, he did some boneheaded things now and then, but he was playing really well for MMg and the national team. Maurice had him on the PK, logging 20+ minutes a night, he was playing a really good 2-way game and is still on top of the points board in a traditionally low-scoring league ...

Last edited by DegenX: 01-30-2013 at 03:53 PM.
DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:52 PM
The Oneironaut
FIRE SHERO/BYLSMA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
What's sad to me is that the entire pp would be night and day if either Sid or Geno were right handed shots.
I know it's a pure pipe dream fantasy, and probably wouldn't even work, but Sergei Mozyakhin.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:56 PM
mpp9

So DB did nothing new for the PP in the months he had off. Awesome coach right there. Malkin and Sid will play catch, Letang will miss the net, Kunitz won't screen ****.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLPensFan View Post
Cam Janssen on waivers?!?!?!?! DISCO DAN LOVES UNSKILLED GRINDERS!!!!! PUT HIM WITH MALKIN OR CROSBY!! #TOP6SOLUTION

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...ecision_o.html
LOL. In all seriousness though, Janssen wouldn't have stood there holding his tool when Lovejoy was put head-first through the boards.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:58 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oneironaut View Post
I know it's a pure pipe dream fantasy, and probably wouldn't even work, but Sergei Mozyakhin.
If I recall correctly, Maurice took him off Malkin's line at one point and put in Lisin instead. He didn't go back to that line until Lisin was injured. They were still on the first PP unit though. But, yeah ... don't see Mozyakin's leaving Russia.

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:00 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oneironaut View Post
**** that, because we have to work with what we have right now. Just put Sutter or God help us, even TK. We need the threat, or even just the POSSIBILITY of a quick shot coming from the goalie's right on a one timer. Kunitz needs to be taken the **** off that unit right now.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:01 PM
The Oneironaut
FIRE SHERO/BYLSMA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
**** that, because we have to work with what we have right now. Just put Sutter or God help us, even TK. We need the threat, or even just the POSSIBILITY of a quick shot coming from the goalie's right on a one timer. Kunitz needs to be taken the **** off that unit right now.
I'm fine with Sutter there for the time being. But please not TK.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:28 PM
BigBadBoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Awesome

BigBadBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
So DB did nothing new for the PP in the months he had off. Awesome coach right there. Malkin and Sid will play catch, Letang will miss the net, Kunitz won't screen ****.
thanks. Exact same thought.

Frederick Stanley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:48 PM
Flat Stanley

Yeah, I'm off the Bylsma bandwagon. He's overrated.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:03 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
LOL. In all seriousness though, Janssen wouldn't have stood there holding his tool when Lovejoy was put head-first through the boards.
Yeah, he wouldn't do a half assed swipe at the puck on the forecheck either.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:32 PM
STLPensFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
In less seriousness, after losing Strait to waivers, I kinda wanted Lovejoy going headfirst through the boards too.

STLPensFan is offline   Reply With Quote