HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we need a heavyweight enforcer...

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Darcy Hordichuk on waivers?
Yes 21 33.87%
No 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 03:50 PM
bud12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Parros can't stay up against any heavyweight.

He has no balance at all. Bad bad.

Carkner, Erskine, Scott, McIyntire, Lucic and Orr.
Those are the only real heavy weights. The only one that can play hockey is Lucic.
I don't give a **** about is balance ( he improved it alot in is last two season), the guy fight other heavy and is fightcard is composed by 95% of other heavy. He's not the best but he is a heavyweight. Ohhh, and your list miss Mcgrattan, Reaves, Bordeleau, Westy, Shelley, etc,etc..... In fact, in the east, Mtl and Tampa are the only one without a heavy if you count Neil as a heavy

Mtl:none
Ott: Neil
Tor: Orr, Fraser
Buf: Scott
Flo: Parros
Car: Westgarth
Tampa: none
Was: Erskine
Philly: Shelley
NJ: Barch
NYI: Carkner, Boulton
NYR: Rupp
Bos: Thornton,Lucic
Pit: Engelland
Win: Peluso

Old
01-30-2013, 03:56 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Didnt Bergevin resign Staubitz ?

Old
01-30-2013, 03:58 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
I don't give a **** about is balance ( he improved it alot in is last two season), the guy fight other heavy and is fightcard is composed by 95% of other heavy. He's not the best but he is a heavyweight. Ohhh, and your list miss Mcgrattan, Reaves, Bordeleau, Westy, Shelley, etc,etc..... In fact, in the east, Mtl and Tampa are the only one without a heavy if you count Neil as a heavy

Mtl:none
Ott: Neil
Tor: Orr, Fraser
Buf: Scott
Flo: Parros
Car: Westgarth
Tampa: none
Was: Erskine
Philly: Shelley
NJ: Barch
NYI: Carkner, Boulton
NYR: Rupp
Bos: Thornton,Lucic
Pit: Engelland
Win: Peluso
Westgarth hasn't fought once. He's terrible. Why he's in the NHL is beyond me.
If Fraser is a heavy weight, then so is Marcus Foligno for Sabres as they've fought and it was pretty even. Fraser is a tough dude, but I wouldn't say he's a heavyweight.
Shelley never plays, or he rarely does.
Devils also have Janssen, who is on waivers now.
Peluso isn't very skilled and will more than likely rarely play.
You missed Chara
Neil is for sure a heavyweight.

Engelland would be great for the habs. He can play a regular shift and he can fight.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
habs have beat boston enought in the last 5 years to prove we can do it without a heavy weight goon.when mtl uses they re speed and skill effectively it makes it real tough for the b's.wasnt that long ago we swept em 8-0 in the season series.habs need to play they re game, they dont wanna fall into bostons plan,which is punch em up,drag it out hockey.

This is why we have been a bunch of pushovers for so long.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:02 PM
le_sean

I find it funny that the posters who are most adamant about the Habs having a heavyweight never really post elsewhere. You don't even know they exist until this topic is brought up and then they don't shut up. I can just picture them as old men who watched hockey in the 80s and haven't realized the game is completely different.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
I see no use for that kind of player, oustide selling tickets; which the Habs does'nt need.

Those players can't even hit, I don't know how they could intimidate us in any way.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:06 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Sure, but which one

Old
01-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I don't think you did yourself any favours with the comparison to Minnesota. You cite Montreal's relative lack of success over the last 15 years, but why not mention Minnesota's significant failure to progress as a franchise over that same period? Lemaire and Riseborough not only failed to push the team forward at all, but their collective incompetence led to their franchise player leaving and limited progression from any bluechip prospects during their respective tenures.
Yea because their failure was because of fighters.

Minnesota never had the horses period. They have been incredibly bad at drafting. And when they had a talented guy in Gaborik, the guy just never had the heart.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
I'm really not interested in someone who can't contribute to the team on the ice just so he can get his 1 staged fight once in a while with the other team's neanderthal and his 2 minutes of ice time. What Prust and White bring to the team is more than what one of these "heavyweights" can bring.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:08 PM
ChoseLa

If he can take regular shifts yes, i don't think anybody would against a Clowe or a Lucic on this team. Fourth liners/6/7th defencemen who can be responsible defensivly and skate well are also an option.

But i like the outlook of this team right now.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I find it funny that the posters who are most adamant about the Habs having a heavyweight never really post elsewhere. You don't even know they exist until this topic is brought up and then they don't shut up. I can just picture them as old men who watched hockey in the 80s and haven't realized the game is completely different.
Seems pretty evident to me, cause this team have been abused for so long. They've been acting like a bunch of Euros scared chicken, never even looking to help a teamate when they're on the ice laying there. That is why adding a guy like Prust helps so much on every levels. Seems this team has a spine, finally.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
I'm really not interested in someone who can't contribute to the team on the ice just so he can get his 1 staged fight once in a while with the other team's neanderthal and his 2 minutes of ice time. What Prust and White bring to the team is more than what one of these "heavyweights" can bring.
Personaly I hate staged fights. But it's about intimidation, having guys that can drill you at any time plays between the ears of the opponants.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:12 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
I hope you were not referencing me, because I'm not even close to 70! Lol

Last edited by TennisMenace: 01-30-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Seems pretty evident to me, cause this team have been abused for so long. They've been acting like a bunch of Euros scared chicken, never even looking to help a teamate when they're on the ice laying there. That is why adding a guy like Prust helps so much on every levels. Seems this team has a spine, finally.
A bit xenophobic eh? Because Emelin is so much more scared out there than St. Denis would be.

Pretty much everyone is in agreement that there's always room for more guys like Prust, and if you can think of a way to get us a Clowe or Clarkson, I'd like to hear it.

But guys like Westgarth and Shelley shouldn't be in the NHL, let alone on the Habs. Pound for pound staged fights aren't even intimidating anyway, I'd rather have more big hitters than anything else.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
And when we had Laraque, Lucic and Chara wanted none of it. So it was a pointless roster spot.
No it wasn't pointless cause Lucic and Chara were less intimidating than Mike Ribeiro when Laraque was all over them. I would love to have either Jared Boll or Paul Bissonnette to complete the 4th line. Light-heavyweights that don't look stupid with the puck.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:20 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Westgarth hasn't fought once. He's terrible. Why he's in the NHL is beyond me.
If Fraser is a heavy weight, then so is Marcus Foligno for Sabres as they've fought and it was pretty even. Fraser is a tough dude, but I wouldn't say he's a heavyweight.
Shelley never plays, or he rarely does.
Devils also have Janssen, who is on waivers now.
Peluso isn't very skilled and will more than likely rarely play.
You missed Chara
Neil is for sure a heavyweight.

Engelland would be great for the habs. He can play a regular shift and he can fight.
-Westgarth haved a ruff year last year but can easy rebound. The guy was good in the ahl
-Fraser have showed in the ahl that he can take heavy but he is in fact a lightheavy like neil. Is fight again Foligno was bad, I give you that, but its only 1 fight.
-Shelley never plays but he's on the team when needed
-Didn't put Janssen because is on waiver and he will probably be send down
-Peluso can really surprise. got good hands for a tough guy. Will play again tough teams
- Didn't put Chara because he don't really fight.
-Agree, Neil is a heavyweight in my book

Old
01-30-2013, 04:21 PM
lamp9post

I think we can get by with the middle weights on the team in Prust/Moen/White/Armstrong/Bouillon. Last year we needed Staubitz because we only had Moen/White and even they had injuries.

The problem is that eventually one of our middleweights is going to have to fight a heavyweight. Prust has shown a willingness to do this, and Moen can hold his own, and White will take on anyone, so they can take turns answering the bell if need be. I think we can get by with what we have.

The "toughness" problem on this team has not been due to a lack of heavyweight, it is due to a lack of a number of guys willing to step up. In past seasons, Moen just couldn't face heavyweights on a nightly basis and he was our only one who could fight. 4 Moens on the other hand can share the load and take lumps against the odd heavyweight if needed.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Hockey changed HERE. Mangement accepted that the team was getting banged up and intimidated and with time so did the fans. That mentality is gone now, but we haven't really tested it until we face one of the top bruising teams like the obvious Boston, Philly and both NY teams. Both Florida teams are equipped to protect themselves now, Buffalo got Scott, Orr is back in Toronto, Islanders got Carkner and Boulton with Martin, etc etc.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:26 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
Unless another Chris Nilan comes along, I'll pass.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

But guys like Westgarth and Shelley shouldn't be in the NHL, let alone on the Habs. Pound for pound staged fights aren't even intimidating anyway, I'd rather have more big hitters than anything else.
But the fact is they ARE in the NHL, wheither you think it's legit or not doesn't mean squat. Plenty of NHL gm's think they're there for a reason. And staged fights aren't there for intimidation, unless you're trying to prove that you will stad your ground. They're there to create a spark to a team that has none. If you don't think it means anything, so be it.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:30 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
Unless another Chris Nilan comes along, I'll pass.
No offense to Chris, but even if another Chris Nilan comes along, I'd pass.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:32 PM
TennisMenace

If we don't get a heavyweight than I hope I don't have to see Prust Or White fighting the heavies. It's not fair to them and really not fair to the fans. We should not watch a guy 235 pounding a guy 192. Boxing doesn't even allow that to happen.
I also do not want to see any of our guys getting hurt.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:36 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
But the fact is they ARE in the NHL, wheither you think it's legit or not doesn't mean squat. Plenty of NHL gm's think they're there for a reason. And staged fights aren't there for intimidation, unless you're trying to prove that you will stad your ground. They're there to create a spark to a team that has none. If you don't think it means anything, so be it.
And the trend is they are playing less and less. Look at Jody Shelley, he went from playing almost 60 games to 30 last year, and many of those were as a placeholder. Even Flyers fans, who love toughness, hate that he's wasting a roster spot. The Kings, despite valuing plenty of toughness, hardly used Westgarth last year and dumped him as soon as they could. Parros was completely useless against us.

You want to create a spark? Have Prust or White fight a real hockey player. This might be a problem against the Bruins, but Prust can handle himself against 95% of the NHL.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:40 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Bob Probert have any kids? Good lord, I remember him beating the heck out players. You couldn't even turtle, or put your head down, because he would hit you with a " HULK SMASH" type of one armed hit to save his knuckles.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:42 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
And the trend is they are playing less and less. Look at Jody Shelley, he went from playing almost 60 games to 30 last year, and many of those were as a placeholder. Even Flyers fans, who love toughness, hate that he's wasting a roster spot. The Kings, despite valuing plenty of toughness, hardly used Westgarth last year and dumped him as soon as they could. Parros was completely useless against us.

You want to create a spark? Have Prust or White fight a real hockey player. This might be a problem against the Bruins, but Prust can handle himself against 95% of the NHL.
Shelley is like what, 40 years old?lol. the guy have regressed alot since is good day with Blue Jackets. They just wait till Mathers is ready to make the big show

Closed Thread