HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Isles claim Thomas Hickey (D) off Waivers

Old
01-29-2013, 10:04 PM
SI90

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Brian Strait, Hickey, Boyes, Keith Aucoin and even Carkner have all played very well for us and Snow should be credited.
Hickey has a little offense sprinkled with feisty play but not overly physical. I like that he is small in stature but smart and aggresive. Why did the NYI wait on Hickey and play Finley?
At this point we dont need Martinek either.
Finley should be waved and Marty should be the 7th D.....

Strait and Hickey have both been solid when Vis gets here one will be the odd man out...I hope we keep both and dont lose either.

SI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:08 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I have followed Hickeys career closely and if search through my threads you will find a ton of interviews with him and his coaches.

I know we hated losing him and that the Kings believed that he would have been playing with the team (hickey) had we been able to sneak him through waivers but it wasn't to be. We are overloaded with young depth on the blue line and unfortunately Hickey was the one we had to lose.

It was down to him or Jake Muzzin (both were in the same contract situation where they had to be signed to a one way deal or waived) and we picked Muzzin. JM is a bigger player who has more of an edge than Hickey but Hickey is the better overall player.

You guys got a very solid NHL ready pmd who has turned his game from being a one dimensional O minded pmd into a hybrid kid who uses his excellent skating and positional play to make up for any size he might be missing and is always a threat with the puck.

Give him a dozen games or so and I think you guys will be wanting to send a fruit basket to Dean Lombardi for passing Hickey along. Either way you should have more King fans following the Isles this year than last. First Moulson and now Hickey, we are becoming a real pipeline for the Isles.
Don't give Wang any ideas. He cuts corners (and payroll) any chance he gets. He might just look to get rid of Bridgeport and the cost of carrying an AHL franchise if he could continue to successfully dumpster dive outside of the Kings' facilities..

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:09 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Hickey looks unremarkable to me so far. But, he was picked 4th overall, so I guess I should get with it and say how impressive and smart and solid he is.

Baaa.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:15 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post

Strait and Hickey have both been solid when Vis gets here one will be the odd man out...I hope we keep both and dont lose either.
Wow, when Visnovsky gets here, dare I say we will finally have a deep group and healthy level of competition. With Vis, we have 8 or 9 guys and that's without Donovan, De Haan and Wishart..... Not only are we pretty deep, but Strait and Hickey look very solid and can move the puck intelligently. If Vis comes with the right attitude and gives 100%, our D will be strong enough to make some noise.

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:18 PM
A Pointed Stick
This Is Fine

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Wow, when Visnovsky gets here, dare I say we will finally have a deep group and healthy level of competition. With Vis, we have 8 or 9 guys and that's without Donovan, De Haan and Wishart..... Not only are we pretty deep, but Strait and Hickey look very solid and can move the puck intelligently. If Vis comes with the right attitude and gives 100%, our D will be strong enough to make some noise.
Well, I'd say we will have the quota of "defensively OK, slightly above average offensive skillset smallish depth" covered.

What we need, and have needed, is another Hamonic.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:37 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Hickey looks unremarkable to me so far. But, he was picked 4th overall, so I guess I should get with it and say how impressive and smart and solid he is.

Baaa.
At least he hasn't been noticeable for the wrong reasons thus far. He also has a hard shot from the point - I think the Isles will give him time. Remember, this is his first stint in the bigs.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:28 AM
seafoam
Bowery

vCash: 50
Quote:

I think Marty will be waived over Strait or Hickey. Marty was brought in as a last resort after hearing Vis was no going to report, is injury prone, and is at the end of his career. Both Hickey and Strait are young with upside and have played well for the Isles.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:31 AM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:

We won't have to lose either of them. Waive Finley, keep Marty as whatever he is now (is he even on the 23 man roster?) and move Strait/Hickey to the press box.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:46 AM
InformTheMasses

Hickey hasn't played much, but hasn't really made any mistakes either. That's more than what can be said for Finley or even Carkner (to be honest). And certainly a lot more than what can be said for defenceman of past years.

While I don't think Strait or Hickey will ever be close to being considered offensive threats, these 2 have made our forwards so much better with their ability to clear the puck safely and make the right/smart play. It is so undervalued and a lot of folks won't realize how important that 1 particular skill set is in helping our young forward get to that next level in development and create more offense. We should be glad we have these two, and Strait shouldn't be anywhere near the press box (unless he is unable to walk).

Once Viz gets here (if he ever does), Finley needs to go. Rotate Hickey and Carkner depending on match-ups of opponent.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Degeneration Rex

Good time to see what Hickey's got. He has plenty of AHL seasoning (around 230 games) should get more comfortable as he goes on. At least the Isles have some better depth now on D than in recent seasons.

Degeneration Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:22 AM
kasper11

Quote:

Baaa.
I have no problem with unremarkable from a 3rd pairing dman. I only noticed him once last night (on a bad clearing attempt) and I am happy with that. All we need out of him is solid, steady play.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:33 AM
seafoam
Bowery

vCash: 50
Quote:

Baaa.
He made his NHL debut less than a week ago and is in a brand new system. He has done great comsidering those factors. Give him time, we're not talking about Okposo here.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:51 AM
steveat

People only remember the mistakes. He just started his NHL debut, so give the kid a break. After the first 5 min everyone was all over how awful Finley was. Hickey passes decently and plays his position. I think he will work out well.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:54 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
I do remember he had a bad clearing attempt. He was Behind Nabby and tried to clear the puck lower on the near (to the TV cameras) boards and it dropped down onto a Pens player stick. Other than that he wasn't really noticeable at all. But its one game, we shall see.
I think Hickey looked poised and mobile, no glaring MAB kind of FUBAR's. It was only his second NHL game so in that respect, he was pretty cool an dependable.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:33 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
If/when Vis gets here I think you still have to play Carkner (or Finley). Vis is small too. Vis, Hickey and Streit on D would be too tiny, IMO.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
He made his NHL debut less than a week ago and is in a brand new system. He has done great comsidering those factors.
That's fine. But, someone compared him to Moulson. You know, the guy who's scored 30 goals 3 times. This is after 2 games.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Stephen

Sounds like there's some hope for Hickey yet. It's nice he's finally making the NHL after toiling in the minors for so long. Man, you Islanders are building a squad out of those waiver picks: Grabner, Hickey, Aucoin, Nabokov...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:27 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Sounds like there's some hope for Hickey yet. It's nice he's finally making the NHL after toiling in the minors for so long. Man, you Islanders are building a squad out of those waiver picks: Grabner, Hickey, Aucoin, Nabokov...
You forgot Strait!!!!

I'd like to forget Finley.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:39 PM
A Pointed Stick
This Is Fine

vCash: 250
Quote:

Baaa.
Did you see Engelland's game? I bet he went home and kicked his dog after that one.

Give Hickey some time and don't expect the world. Obviously if he was lightening in a bottle Lombardi would never have put him on waivers. The positives to hang onto in this is the depth that held him back in LA, and the fact defensemen tend to take longer to develop anyway.

And as long as Finley is an option on the depth chart, Hickey keeps him off the ice.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:43 PM
leeroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
But then some wise-guy ESPN columnist will call our defense 'marginally talented', which he will call an improvement over 'under-perform'!

What Vis will do is give us another PP option so that Frans does not burn himself out on days where there are a lot of PP's and PK's.

Also, it never hurts to have another good outlet passer to feed our suddenly much quicker team.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:46 PM
leeroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Did you see Engelland's game? I bet he went home and kicked his dog after that one.

Give Hickey some time and don't expect the world. Obviously if he was lightening in a bottle Lombardi would never have put him on waivers. The positives to hang onto in this is the depth that held him back in LA, and the fact defensemen tend to take longer to develop anyway.

And as long as Finley is an option on the depth chart, Hickey keeps him off the ice.
In my opinion Hickey was put on waivers because Lombardi knew it wasn't fair to keep him in the AHL when he clearly belongs in the NHL. There was just too many people ahead of Hickey in LA and Lombardi did the honorable thing by giving the kid a chance to go elsewhere. Lombardi deserves a lot of credit for doing the right thing for the kid.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Renbarg

What I have liked most about Hickey thus far is his play in the ozone. He's been active and pretty good at getting shots through to the net (or at least getting it past the wingers).

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:40 PM
Space Herpe
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Its been only two games...
And I only saw the 3rd period against the Pens....

But...

We might have a player very similar to the Hammer on our hands. I can see quite a few similarities between TH and TH.

Good shot from the point.
Seems to know where the puck is going to be.
Not afraid to get physical...

But ya know...only two games.

(Flame away!)

Space Herpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:49 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Its been only two games...
And I only saw the 3rd period against the Pens....

But...

We might have a player very similar to the Hammer on our hands. I can see quite a few similarities between TH and TH.

Good shot from the point.
Seems to know where the puck is going to be.
Not afraid to get physical...

But ya know...only two games.

(Flame away!)
I'm not sure what game you were watching, I don't think he's similar to Hamonic at all.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote