HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Isles claim Thomas Hickey (D) off Waivers

Old
01-30-2013, 04:54 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Its been only two games...
And I only saw the 3rd period against the Pens....

But...

We might have a player very similar to the Hammer on our hands. I can see quite a few similarities between TH and TH.

Good shot from the point.
Seems to know where the puck is going to be.
Not afraid to get physical...

But ya know...only two games.

(Flame away!)
Can't argue with that!

Seriously, I think we need to give Hickey more time to see how he does. And with his lack of size, he probably really needs to put some weight on before he can be a 20 minute a night NHL d-man. With the compressed schedule this year and inevitable injuries, maybe he gets 25-30 games on the bottom pairing in rotation with other guys while practicing with an NHL club all year. Considering that he's 23 and hasn't really played in the NHL before, that would be a nice development season for him.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Jester9881

vCash: 500
Yeah, I'm not seeing the Hamonic comparison either.... Hickey would be a GREAT compliment to Hamonic though.

He's a slick skating puck moving defenseman. On the small side, but plays bigger than his frame.... very calm with the puck, doesn't seem to make mistakes when carrying the puck up ice.

There's definitely going to be a tough decision to be made soon, that's for sure. Not a bad thing though.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:10 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Its been only two games...
And I only saw the 3rd period against the Pens....

But...

We might have a player very similar to the Hammer on our hands. I can see quite a few similarities between TH and TH.

Good shot from the point.
Seems to know where the puck is going to be.
Not afraid to get physical...

But ya know...only two games.

(Flame away!)
Physically, I'd have to disagree. Mentally they are smarter than the average blueliner so that is something in common. Like another poster mentioned earlier they might be good together.

If there is one player who may be threatened by Hickey's presence it is Ness.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:27 PM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Yeah, I'm not seeing the Hamonic comparison either.... Hickey would be a GREAT compliment to Hamonic though.

He's a slick skating puck moving defenseman. On the small side, but plays bigger than his frame.... very calm with the puck, doesn't seem to make mistakes when carrying the puck up ice.

There's definitely going to be a tough decision to be made soon, that's for sure. Not a bad thing though.
I never thought I'd see the day when we might have to NOT play a defensemen with talent because we have more talented guys in front of them.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:36 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Physically, I'd have to disagree. Mentally they are smarter than the average blueliner so that is something in common. Like another poster mentioned earlier they might be good together.

If there is one player who may be threatened by Hickey's presence it is Ness.
Ness needs to concentrate on keeping his job in Bridgeport. He just hasn't been as advertised, and the hurdles he has to overcome may just be too great for him to overcome. He has the rest of this year and next year to figure it out, then he faces the same 're-claim' waivers fate.

Donovan is a similar defenseman to Hickey but I think there is room for both, at least for now.

Assuming Viz and Martinek are gone after their contracts this year... Potential D for Next Season: Hamonic, MacDonald, Strait, Donovan, Hickey, Carkner.... and 1 TBD. Maybe Striet if he re-signs. I would love to see them go out and get a legit #1, but uh, fat chance of that happening. (I also know there will be a large cry for Reinhart, but I can't advocate him getting a spot at Age 19, he can still improve so much, and there are 6 or 7 capable guys on the roster already)

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:33 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:

That is what I see when I see Hamonic play.
Also, Hamonic isn't afraid to go into the corners and get physical when and where it is needed. I also see that in Hickey, but again, its only been two games.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Hip Of Rick

Hickey has not been impressive so far in his short NHL career. Reminds me of the Gervais, Hillen, Campoli mold of dman.

He was supposed to have offensive game but lacks the ability to make a good crisp pass out of the zone to start a breakout. He is also weak on the puck in the corners, he loses lots of those one on one battles. Always looks to have Viz make the breakout pass as he is too passive. He looks overmatched and these small dmen without offense really have no place in this league. We have no depth so he should play out the string but unless he changes his game he should be looked at to play in the AHL or allowed to walk this summer.

It was worth a try with Snow assembling his usual crappy AHL quality defense but now Snow needs to learn how to drop a young player.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:57 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

He looked really, really bad tonight.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:58 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Hickey has not been impressive so far in his short NHL career. Reminds me of the Gervais, Hillen, Campoli mold of dman.

He was supposed to have offensive game but lacks the ability to make a good crisp pass out of the zone to start a breakout. He is also weak on the puck in the corners, he loses lots of those one on one battles. Always looks to have Viz make the breakout pass as he is too passive. He looks overmatched and these small dmen without offense really have no place in this league. We have no depth so he should play out the string but unless he changes his game he should be looked at to play in the AHL or allowed to walk this summer.

It was worth a try with Snow assembling his usual crappy AHL quality defense but now Snow needs to learn how to drop a young player.
Excuse me?

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Excuse me?
Hickey, Strait, and Finley all waiver wire pickups the week of the season starting as well as signing Martinek. Snow was unprepared to ice a NHL quality defense this season (just like the past 5 years).
Snow does not know how to cut ties with young players who don't have it save Schremp and Comeau.

This is a Hickey thread and he should be gone at seasons end if he does not drastically improve his play

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Sparksrus3

Garth will probably wait to see if he has a growth spurt.

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:20 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
He looked really, really bad tonight.
he wasn't the only one. That being written, I could not disagree with you guys enough. I see potential in Hickey and think he can be a very useful defensemen in the NHL

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:33 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Hickey, Strait, and Finley all waiver wire pickups the week of the season starting as well as signing Martinek. Snow was unprepared to ice a NHL quality defense this season (just like the past 5 years).
Snow does not know how to cut ties with young players who don't have it save Schremp and Comeau.

This is a Hickey thread and he should be gone at seasons end if he does not drastically improve his play
Hickey is what he is, which is the #8 dman. Carkner and Strait are both out for extended periods which is the only reason Hickey is playing as much as he is.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:24 AM
duster19

Quote:

I like Hickey. For a waiver wire guy he has played well for the Isles. I thought he played well the other night with Martinek.

I would not call him a slick skater though. I think skating is probably his biggest weakness, other then maybe strength. They are somewhat linked...

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:25 AM
stranger34

Quote:

Sreit - Visnovsky

AMac - Hammer

Carker - XXXXX (Camp Competition)

That's not an NHL D?

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Veteran journeyman

I stand with the gentleman who resurrected this thread. Maybe I don't think Hickey is quite that horrible, but he's redundant. Can't have a D going forward made up almost entirely of smallish, intelligent D that are decent positionally but limited physically and offensively. The Islanders have a very easy defense to play against when you think about it. If you're a skilled NHL forward, who are you worried about taking your head off as you come across the blue line at full speed? Who are you thinking twice about going into the corners with? Who puts the fear of God into you when you're camped out in front of the net?

To some degree, you can excuse the lack of physicality in a player like Vis or Streit, because they put points up and give you a lot offensively. Some of these other guys though...a good positional play every so often is nice for a 5th or 6th defenseman, but it's not enough when that's all you're getting from one, sometimes both defensemen on every pairing. Sometimes I feel like we're the public giving its views about Congress on here. We all can see the need for improvement on the whole, but individually we fall in love with each player and are hesitant to part with anyone save the worst of the worst (Reasoner, for example). We have Strait, AMac and Hickey. Pick one for the bottom pair and move on from the other two, I say. These smallish, intelligent players are a dime a dozen.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:22 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
I stand with the gentleman who resurrected this thread. Maybe I don't think Hickey is quite that horrible, but he's redundant. Can't have a D going forward made up almost entirely of smallish, intelligent D that are decent positionally but limited physically and offensively. The Islanders have a very easy defense to play against when you think about it. If you're a skilled NHL forward, who are you worried about taking your head off as you come across the blue line at full speed? Who are you thinking twice about going into the corners with? Who puts the fear of God into you when you're camped out in front of the net?

To some degree, you can excuse the lack of physicality in a player like Vis or Streit, because they put points up and give you a lot offensively. Some of these other guys though...a good positional play every so often is nice for a 5th or 6th defenseman, but it's not enough when that's all you're getting from one, sometimes both defensemen on every pairing. Sometimes I feel like we're the public giving its views about Congress on here. We all can see the need for improvement on the whole, but individually we fall in love with each player and are hesitant to part with anyone save the worst of the worst (Reasoner, for example). We have Strait, AMac and Hickey. Pick one for the bottom pair and move on from the other two, I say. These smallish, intelligent players are a dime a dozen.
If Strait and Amac are our bottom pairing next season then we will be in great shape. Somehow I don't think that will be the case.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:40 AM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post

Bang on. I think AMac or Strait should be ont he bottom pair with Carkner (when healthy). Really, we only have about 3 DEF that are decent...

Hammer - XXX
Streit - XXX
Carkner - Amac/Strait/Hickey..maybe even put Streit in this pile.

This teams has to upgrade huge on DEF and in the net.

Last edited by PWJunior: 03-11-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old
03-11-2013, 10:01 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
Bang on. I think AMac or Strait should be ont he bottom pair with Carkner (when healthy). Really, we only have about 3 DEF that are decent...

Hammer - XXX
Streit - XXX
Carkner - Amac/Strait/Hickey..maybe even put Streit in this pile.

This teams has to upgrade huge on DEF and in the net.
It isn't just the defensemen, the forwards on this team (other than a handful) are lost in the defensive zone and there is no system. Part of this is on Capuono. The rest is on Wang/Snow.

You can get by without physical dmen if everyone is in the right position and the puck gets out of the zone quickly. The Red Wings have not had a lot of big hitters on their d but are very successful. When the Penguins won, they had Orpik and no other physical dmen, but instead guys like Eaton and Scuderi who were sound positionally. Same with New Jersey last year. They made the finals with Volchenkov being the only big, physical dman.

The problem is, if you aren't going to be physical and take players out, you need to be in the right place at all times. The Isles are completely undisciplined in their own zone, forwards and defensemen. Nobody knows where they are supposed to be. When they do get the puck, they can't clear it. Simply put, they are a mess in their own zone. It isn't from not being physical enough, it is from not being good enough.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:19 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
It isn't just the defensemen, the forwards on this team (other than a handful) are lost in the defensive zone and there is no system. Part of this is on Capuono. The rest is on Wang/Snow.

You can get by without physical dmen if everyone is in the right position and the puck gets out of the zone quickly. The Red Wings have not had a lot of big hitters on their d but are very successful. When the Penguins won, they had Orpik and no other physical dmen, but instead guys like Eaton and Scuderi who were sound positionally. Same with New Jersey last year. They made the finals with Volchenkov being the only big, physical dman.

The problem is, if you aren't going to be physical and take players out, you need to be in the right place at all times. The Isles are completely undisciplined in their own zone, forwards and defensemen. Nobody knows where they are supposed to be. When they do get the puck, they can't clear it. Simply put, they are a mess in their own zone. It isn't from not being physical enough, it is from not being good enough.
that's probably more on brent thompson than anyone... right?

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:20 AM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post

I totally agree that our forwards our not great in our own end (The JT line is araguably the worst one). This team obviously does not practice in the defensive zone or have any real clue as to what is their responsibility.

I dont agree that you can get away without size by being in the right spot. Visk stood right beside Kunitz as he tapped in his first last night. Our defence gets over matched all the time one on one. How many times have I seen Amac on the ground after a battle on the boards? Visknosky is disgusting to watch in front of the net. He is afraid to touch anyone. Getting to the net and staying in front of the net is childs play against the isles. We give up all kinds of goals because guys stand right in our crease. We definately have huge breakdowns in our own end, but even when we are in the right spot, we fail.

Streit, Amac, Hickey, Visk are all guys who are undersized. I would say at least 2 -3 need to go. We dont need to replace them with Finley-ish size, but you need to bring in some DEF that are willing to compete, play physicl and make it difficult for other teams.