HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Eric Tangradi officially a bust?

View Poll Results: Is Eric Tangradi a bust?
Yes 102 50.00%
No 15 7.35%
Too Early To Say 87 42.65%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2013, 06:07 PM
  #176
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,159
vCash: 500
I fear for when these young defensemen like Morrow, Pouliout, Dumoulin, and Maatta start coming up. If Morrow makes a bad play, is he going to be sitting at the end of the bench for 12 mins? If Pouliot makes a bad pass is he going to be healthy scratched?

PLayers need to play. They don't get better sitting there, especially ones accustomed to playing huge mins. I know there's a very fine line here, and it can be a slippery slope, but you have got to stick by young players if you truly believe in them, even if you're sacrificing a little bit now.

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:30 PM
  #177
UnrealMachine
Registered User
 
UnrealMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
It is what it is with DB. Strait didn't reveal anything we couldn't see for ourselves. With Tangradi it is becoming obvious he has it in his mind he doesn't want him on the team, so nothing we can do about it.

Jeffrey showed a spark and some chemistry on the second line last night. The TSN crew even said he was the Pen's best offensive player yesterday, so it isn't something in my head that I just wanted to see. Lets hope he can get more than two shifts in a row on the Malkin line.

He is really all that is left because all of the options have been used up.

DB better have the patience to give him the appropriate time to prove he can be a second line winger or not.
So true. The other part of me wondered if he and Despres only looked so good because everyone else looked so bad? In the end I decided, "well, he would be good enough to make the Islanders' roster tonight."

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:05 PM
  #178
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 16,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I fear for when these young defensemen like Morrow, Pouliout, Dumoulin, and Maatta start coming up. If Morrow makes a bad play, is he going to be sitting at the end of the bench for 12 mins? If Pouliot makes a bad pass is he going to be healthy scratched?

PLayers need to play. They don't get better sitting there, especially ones accustomed to playing huge mins. I know there's a very fine line here, and it can be a slippery slope, but you have got to stick by young players if you truly believe in them, even if you're sacrificing a little bit now.
We'll have have a good idea with how Despres is developed. Because he is prone to overconfidence and trying to beat two or three guys. Will DB live with that or bench him again?

I think people are also seeing now why I wanted Morrow up off the bat to help the PP. He is playing steady now with more ice time, so we'll see where he is when/if they make a callup and give him a shot.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:13 AM
  #179
cassius
Registered User
 
cassius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,933
vCash: 500
To all the folks who didn't think Tangradi got a fair shot:

Say it with me... 0 goals in 39 games. Z-e-r-o.

The numbers don't lie.

For me, it's impossible to justify putting Tangradi into the lineup when he is producing nothing offensively and he lacks intangibles. That pretty much means he isn't a top-6 guy and he isn't really suited for a 3rd/4th line role.

Aka - the AHL is probably the best place for him right now.


Last edited by cassius: 02-01-2013 at 09:18 AM.
cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:57 AM
  #180
fizban
Registered User
 
fizban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Aruba
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
To all the folks who didn't think Tangradi got a fair shot:

Say it with me... 0 goals in 39 games. Z-e-r-o.

The numbers don't lie.

For me, it's impossible to justify putting Tangradi into the lineup when he is producing nothing offensively and he lacks intangibles. That pretty much means he isn't a top-6 guy and he isn't really suited for a 3rd/4th line role.

Aka - the AHL is probably the best place for him right now.
Agreed.

If you watch Eric, he has no idea what the hell he's doing out there. He doesn't know where he's supposed to be and in the rare event he does, he doesn't seem to know what he's supposed to do when he gets there.

He's playing like a guy who is trying to do everything, but isn't fast or skilled enough to keep up with the pace of play, so winds up doing nothing. He really needs to just commit himself to a few things and try to do them right... then he might find some success.

Until he gets to the point where he chooses a path and sticks with it, it's almost impossible to tell for sure whether or not he's a bust. He could very easily be traded or waived, then turn into a stud with the proper coaching on another team elsewhere.

He's not ready for the NHL though and I think the same issues identified above are even showing at the AHL level. There's no question he has the talent though, so is he just not getting the proper coaching? Or does he just not give a ****? It could be that he's just stupid. I don't know.

fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:35 AM
  #181
Dupree13
Registered User
 
Dupree13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 500
I disagree with the folks who want to bash coaching for not giving the young fellows adequate opportunity. It's on them to actually show something when they get out there. Why should a team with Cup ambitions leave a guy out there who's bringing nothing to the table?

Look at Despres. He screwed up a bunch, but he also showed flashes of some really good things. That's the key, he actually showed flashes. Tangradi showed diddly squat. The org. doesn't want him to fail guys. If he could have done one damn thing, just one damn thing, to make the org. think he was worth more time, theu would have granted him it. He's done zero. He deserves nothing and he's earned nothing. Some guys are just busts, and right now it's about a 95% chance ET is just a bust.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:29 PM
  #182
fizban
Registered User
 
fizban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Aruba
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
I disagree with the folks who want to bash coaching for not giving the young fellows adequate opportunity. It's on them to actually show something when they get out there. Why should a team with Cup ambitions leave a guy out there who's bringing nothing to the table?

Look at Despres. He screwed up a bunch, but he also showed flashes of some really good things. That's the key, he actually showed flashes. Tangradi showed diddly squat. The org. doesn't want him to fail guys. If he could have done one damn thing, just one damn thing, to make the org. think he was worth more time, theu would have granted him it. He's done zero. He deserves nothing and he's earned nothing. Some guys are just busts, and right now it's about a 95% chance ET is just a bust.
Yeah it's not a lack of opportunity that I take issue with though. It's more a concern about the possibility of a lack of direction. If he needs direction and doesn't get it, doesn't make much of a difference if he's out there for 82 games for all 60 minutes. He won't succeed.

The team has already shown a propensity to let players go to other teams, only to see them turn into something better. Lots of different reasons for that. I'm not going to blame it all on coaching, but you have to wonder if that's part of the equation. The last thing I want to see is another Naslund, Rozsival, Moulson situation.

fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:13 AM
  #183
cassius
Registered User
 
cassius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,933
vCash: 500
I think it's safe to say the answer is a resounding YES.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.