HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v25: Terrence Ross named to Slam Dunk Competition

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 06:42 PM
thatshype

vCash: 500
Just wanted to say Thank you to Calderon for all of his time here. He was a real pro for the Raptors. Good luck in Memphis/whereever.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:42 PM
Habsfan18

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Mavs were indeed interested in Calderon, as they've been for ages, but refused to part w/Vince Carter and thus couldn't trump Prince & Daye

Whoa..

Wait, nevermind. I assume this means Memphis tried to acquire Carter for Jose.

01-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
Just wanted to say Thank you to Calderon for all of his time here. He was a real pro for the Raptors. Good luck in Memphis/whereever.
This. He gave it his all and was great for us. Wish him and Davis nothing but the best. Davis is a beast.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
If we can get rid of Bargnani for a pick and Amnesty Kleiza doesn't that free up a lot of $$. Bargs is making $10 mill per is he not? Isn't Kleiza around the $6 million mark? Is there a capgeek for NBA contracts lol. I can't recall the exact numbers. I thought Gray just signed a 1 year contract. Didn't know about the PO.
If you could trade Bargnani for a pick, it would have already happened. Unfortunately, his value has plummeted so far down that it isn't an easy trade to make. I'd just amnesty him this summer and let Kleiza expire.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Perkins is a fan!

Kendrick Perkins ‏@KendrickPerkins
Wow that was 1 crazy trade today. Are you serious Rudy Gay is right there under KD, Lebron, Kobe, and Melo. #badtrade
im kind of shocked as well. Gay is only 26 and one of the best two way players in the game. He's like a young Iguodala , we're lucky to have him even if its on a bad contract.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:

He was a class act on and off the court. And statistically the best PG in Raptors history.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:46 PM
bigred50

Feel bad for Calderon. Would have been nice if he went to Memphis - at least he'd have had a shot at the playoffs.

Detroit is ugh.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
im kind of shocked as well. Gay is only 26 and one of the best two way players in the game. He's like a young Iguodala , we're lucky to have him even if its on a bad contract.
You guys really shouldn't believe Bleacher Report. That site is garbage. Gay is pretty inconsistent on the defense side of the ball. Will bring it some possessions, but lose focus a lot of other times. Definitely not a premier two way player like a Deng or Iggy.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 72
Lowry-Gay-Demar-Bargs-JV

Is that our new 5? Who else do we have at PF? Amir?

Old
01-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

BC doing what he does best, flipping players just for the sake of it just to show management that he's doing something.

Disappointed that Davis was traded. He's going to be a good one, he has all the hustle and work ethic with the skill to match. Calderon no doubt is one of the best Raptors ever. Gay seems to be getting overrated around here.

Old
Kulemon

Quote:
Yeah and same with Davis. Hopefully he turns out to be a good player for them. Sounds like he was absolutely devestated. Ed apparently walked out with a towel over his head not talking to anybody and Calderon had tears in his eyes.

Good luck and thank you to both

Old
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Just saw on Sportscentre, Calderon had tears in his eyes. What a player.

01-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Lowry-Gay-Demar-Bargs-JV

Is that our new 5? Who else do we have at PF? Amir?
Amir, whom the organization loves, and has played great this year.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:57 PM
MrPiff17
Bay St. Bullies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
BC doing what he does best, flipping players just for the sake of it just to show management that he's doing something.

Disappointed that Davis was traded. He's going to be a good one, he has all the hustle and work ethic with the skill to match. Calderon no doubt is one of the best Raptors ever. Gay seems to be getting overrated around here.
Please enlighten me on how he's overrated to begin with? I have yet to read on here that Gay is as good or better than Lebron, Kobe, or Durant

That seems like the only way to overrate him

Old
01-30-2013, 06:58 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

will miss jose, had tears, u are a true raptor
ed davis showed alot this year, but was willing to part with him
welcome aboard rudy

Old
01-30-2013, 07:00 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
I'm sure we can move salary in Kleiza, Bargnani, Fields if need be.
Doesn't help enough.

If everyone who has a potential contract on the books next year comes back, the Raptors will owe approx $77 million for the season.

If they could somehow lose Fields and Bargs for nothing on the books next year and amnesty Kleiza they would be down to about $55m.

the 12-13 nba salary cap was $58 million, which is where it's sat for the last 3 years or so.

So shipping out all that money would only leave the team with 3 million in cap space, or slightly more if the cap goes up a bit. And that's with multiple holes on the roster left to fill (a couple of SF/SGs and another PF at least, plus potentially another backup PG so that Lucas isn't getting constant backup minutes.

Quote:
Perkins is a fan!

Kendrick Perkins ‏@KendrickPerkins
Wow that was 1 crazy trade today. Are you serious Rudy Gay is right there under KD, Lebron, Kobe, and Melo. #badtrade
Lol, Perkins is out of his mind, or a giant troll.

LeBron/Durant

Kobe
Melo (though Anthony is going to pass him soon)

Gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Gray has a player option for over 2 million next year. Why did BC give a scrub like Gray a player option, I have no clue. Like Nemesis said, we are ****ed for cap space for awhile now.
They had to. With the salary cap of last year, the only contract option they could give to Gray was one of the exceptions that had to be a value of $2m and change for whatever reason. Blame the insane complexity/fussiness of the NBA cap, not Colangelo on this one.

Quote:
Lowry is injury prone, that was one positive of Jose and his ability to fill in as a starter. John Lucas isn't even a PG, he's just a very short SG.

But Jose had to go IMO, get value while you can. And now he's in Detroit, I feel bad for him I was hoping he'd go to a contender.
Agreed on the PG situation. Team's going to need another PG for next year. God help us all if Lucas gets primary backup minutes.

Teh biggest solace in all of this is that the Raptors probalby miss the playoffs this year and give up our draft pick in this weak draft instead of the 2014 draft.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 32 GP, 12-15-5 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
01-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Habsfan18

Remember when Lucas played out of his mind during pre-season.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:04 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

I'm concerned that the Raps make the playoffs, and we don't give up our pick until we lose Rudy Gay for nothing.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:06 PM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Quote:
Remember when Lucas played out of his mind during pre-season.
Matt Devlin and Jack Armstrong/Leo Rautins haven't forgotten.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:08 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiff17 View Post
Please enlighten me on how he's overrated to begin with? I have yet to read on here that Gay is as good or better than Lebron, Kobe, or Durant

That seems like the only way to overrate him
You don't have to be deemed as better than Lebron/Kobe/Durant to be overrated. His defense is all based on if he feels like it. Hollins said that what's great about Gay is that he can defend the 2-4. I've read enough and it seems that he'll take it slow every now and then. Not to mention is contract is terrible. UFA in two years is it? BC will probably break the bank for him and overpay for him to stay.

The move in itself is bad. BC knocked out the chance of a potential rebuild, welcome to mediocrity is what this trade screams. Love that we have over 25 mill just for our SF position, and the only decent player to show for it is Gay.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:10 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I'm concerned that the Raps make the playoffs, and we don't give up our pick until we lose Rudy Gay for nothing.
Don't we have to give up our pick if we finish higher than bottom 5? IeL anything lower than a top 5 pick?

Old
01-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Winreims

Quote:
You don't have to be deemed as better than Lebron/Kobe/Durant to be overrated. His defense is all based on if he feels like it. Hollins said that what's great about Gay is that he can defend the 2-4. I've read enough and it seems that he'll take it slow every now and then. Not to mention is contract is terrible. UFA in two years is it? BC will probably break the bank for him and overpay for him to stay.

The move in itself is bad. BC knocked out the chance of a potential rebuild, welcome to mediocrity is what this trade screams. Love that we have over 25 mill just for our SF position, and the only decent player to show for it is Gay.
I don't think BC will be around long enough to re-sign him in two years..

Old
01-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
I don't think BC will be around long enough to re-sign him in two years..
Well you have to wonder if management wanted him out, would they allow him to make such a deal. Gay is owed quite a bit of money in the next two years. I can see a 2-3 year extension. I believe there's some sort of option to pick him up for one more year? If so, I can see that being picked up to see how this roster plays in a full season together come next season.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:12 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Don't we have to give up our pick if we finish higher than bottom 5? IeL anything lower than a top 5 pick?
Top 3 protected.

We lose the pick if it ends up 4th through 14th. We keep it if it's 1-3 or 15-30.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:13 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Well you have to wonder if management wanted him out, would they allow him to make such a deal. Gay is owed quite a bit of money in the next two years. I can see a 2-3 year extension.
Last I heard is that MLSE still likes him. Apparently it's ok to be incompetent under MLSE, just not abrasive (like Burke)

Closed Thread