HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part V)

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
The top six plays more minutes and features more talented players than the bottom six. No matter what semantics one wants to use, they can't spin that into the two being just as important as each other.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Sandwiches View Post
Jason Arnott, Brad Winchester, Matt Bradley, Rod Pelley, Jason Blake (not sure if he's retired), Marco Sturm, Byron Bitz, Tom Kostopolous, etc. Petr Sykora would have been nice to have back when before he signed in Switzerland.

Ideally, I would have loved if Lou had re-signed Ponikarovsky and have someone from CBGB move down a line.

I don't want Darche on this team at all. He wouldn't be a significant improvement over Janssen in the grand scheme of things. I'll take any of the players listed above on either our 4th line or on our 3rd and move someone from a different line to the 4th line over having Darche.

I swear, some of you make it seem like that this Devils' team is a playoff team with Darche and isn't a playoff team with Janssen.
Pelley better than Darche? Bitz better than Darche? Kostopolous better than Darche?

Did he bang your girlfriend, or something?

Old
01-30-2013, 04:53 PM
CerebralGenesis

You need to have a good bottom 6 to win the cup. That doesn't need spinning.

Holy God I just saw that list. No, no no no no.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:00 PM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Quote:
Jason Arnott, Brad Winchester, Matt Bradley, Rod Pelley, Jason Blake (not sure if he's retired), Marco Sturm, Byron Bitz, Tom Kostopolous, etc. Petr Sykora would have been nice to have back when before he signed in Switzerland.
Reminds me of:

"I've never heard of half of these guys and the ones I do know are way past their prime. "

"Most of these guys never had a prime. "

Old
01-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Fantastic list, I haven`t laughed this hard for almost a week. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Where are the youtube clips of all the goals the Devils allowed while Janssen was on the ice for one of his rare shifts?
Do you want this server to go down or what?

Old
01-30-2013, 05:30 PM
hlaverty06

Kostopolous had a good charity game

Old
01-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
That list

Darche is easily better then all of them other then Sykora

Old
01-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSeven View Post
Reminds me of:

"I've never heard of half of these guys and the ones I do know are way past their prime. "

"Most of these guys never had a prime. "
"This guy here is dead!"

"Cross him off, then."

Old
01-30-2013, 05:53 PM
apice3*

Cam Janssen is a -29 in 311 career games. Since he's likely never played PP or PK time in his career, it's safe to say he has been on the ice for goals a net amount of -29 times.

That comes to being on the ice for a goal against once every 11 games over his career. If you think he's the problem, you're a moron. He can handle a low end amount of 4th line minutes. The problem is our true 4th line is playing 3rd line minutes. We honestly don't have a 3rd line. We have a 1st, 2nd, and two 4ths. That's not to say Gionta, Bernier, and Carter are the problem. We just need depth so they can play where they're supposed to play.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:56 PM
Banana Sandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Where are the youtube clips of all the goals the Devils allowed while Janssen was on the ice for one of his rare shifts?
He asked why I thought Janssen was entertaining, so I posted videos why.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Cam Janssen is a -29 in 311 career games. Since he's likely never played PP or PK time in his career, it's safe to say he has been on the ice for goals a net amount of -29 times.

That comes to being on the ice for a goal against once every 11 games over his career. If you think he's the problem, you're a moron. He can handle a low end amount of 4th line minutes. The problem is our true 4th line is playing 3rd line minutes. We honestly don't have a 3rd line. We have a 1st, 2nd, and two 4ths. That's not to say Gionta, Bernier, and Carter are the problem. We just need depth so they can play where they're supposed to play.
They actually were pretty solid yesterday, definitely noticed some very nice shifts from them. Still you are right ideally they shift down to a true 4th line and we can roll proper depth. Why we need to trade for a top 6 forward slot Clarkson down, and use Darche, Matteau, or a call up to fill the other side of the 3rd line. Also get Henrique back too obviously

Old
01-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Banana Sandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
That list

Darche is easily better then all of them other then Sykora
Darche is better than Jason Arnott? He's better than a guy who scored 17 goals playing limited minutes?

Darche is better than Jason Blake? A guy that has a decent set of wheels and has had some 20+ goal seasons?

Marco Sturm struggled with injuries, but if healthy, he's capable of reaching at least 15 goals.

I'm going to use the same argument all of you use to support Darche with Rod Pelley. Pelley is SO GOOD defensively! And he's also not old.

Brad Winchester is probably better than Darche offensively. Not to mention he's a big body (something the Devils don't have up front outside of Kovalchuk and Zubrus).

Byron Bitz is somewhat similar to Winchester. Maybe not as good offensively, but he's not worthless out there. I've saw him play a good amount when he was on Boston and I thought he was decent there.

Kostopolous is good for around 8 or 9 goals a year and had pretty good chemistry with Tim Jackman in Calgary. And he's a pretty physical player.

It's sad I spent over an hour today talking about Mathieu freakin Darche.

Bring back Dean McAmmond.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Darche passed a medical that by default makes him better than Arnott.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:22 PM
apice3*

I'm not saying [Janssen's] not a liability. I'm saying he's not the issue. Whether he plays or not, our 4th line blows because our real 4th line is playing 3rd line minutes. It's not Janssen's fault and as evident by his career numbers, he's not flopping around giving up goals left and right every shift like some of you clowns think he is. Most of his shifts are 30 seconds long, starting in the offensive zone, he delivers a hit or two, and gets off the ice. Does he get pinned in the defensive zone? At times. Is he a liability? At times. (You can say the same things about any hockey player) Is he going to create offense? Very rarely. Most of the time he's not put in a position to be a liability. His job is to give the top 9 a quick break, deliver a check or too, and police the game. And he's really not that bad at it.

Last thing you want to see is someone like Colton Orr or John Scott delivering a questionable hit on someone like Josefson. Enjoy watching Clarkson try to do something about it.

Edit: Classic Devil was here.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
It's sad I spent over an hour today talking about Mathieu freakin Darche.

Bring back Dean McAmmond.
I agree, it`s truly sad.

Arnott can`t even pass a physical. Blake is ready for retirement and wouldn`t fit in a million years, Winchester is a 4th liner with below average defense, Sturm is washed up and you can`t be serious about Bitz and Kostopoulos.

How deep we`ve fallen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Last thing you want to see is someone like Colton Orr or John Scott delivering a questionable hit on someone like Josefson. Enjoy watching Clarkson try to do something about it.
My apologies for not reading the first part...

Those players you mentioned don`t initiate, they retaliate. You should be more concered about guys like Torres and Kaleta.

I`ll gladly watch Clarkson send them to a quite room.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:32 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Darche passed a medical that by default makes him better than Arnott.
I'd still prefer a hobbled Arnott over a Healthy Darche.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:34 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
Gonna go out on a limb and say you've never watched Darche and you're holding Arnott up to his ability 10 yeas ago

Old
01-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
I bet my house you haven`t seen either of them play more than once over the past two years.

So this is a legitimate question. Why on Earth would you make a comment like that? And don`t tell me I`m wrong.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:47 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
I`ll gladly watch Clarkson send them to a quite room.
Personally I think Clarkson is an overrated fighter. Glad he drops the gloves, but aside from Konopka and Simmonds, his fighting career is just beating up a bunch of losers.

Plus Clarkson has emerged as a good offensive talent. Fighting idiots is good for chemistry but we're going to be sending the better player to the box more often than not.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Zippy316

I loved McAmmond when he was here.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:05 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

-29 when you only play 5 minutes is pretty brutal.

He was a shift and a momentum killer. The Devils would have a couple good shift in the other teams zone and then his line would come out play would come back into the Devils zone and they would get trapped in. Cam would inevitable fumble the puck on a breakout pass. The result is extended shifts and tired players (especially defense).

Old
01-30-2013, 07:16 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Hi.

Deal with it in PMs, please.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:17 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Yeah, it's not just Cam being bad, it's the fact that his being bad causes more wear and tear on the rest of the lineup because you don't play him many minutes and have to hide him from everyone else other than enforcers. Tampa Bay couldn't wait to get St. Louis and company out against him last year when he stayed on too long and boom, a goal against.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Yeah, it's not just Cam being bad, it's the fact that his being bad causes more wear and tear on the rest of the lineup because you don't play him many minutes and have to hide him from everyone else other than enforcers.
I wanted Cam gone badly back before we traded him to St. Louis. But I've learned to respect what he brings to the table. I'm not a fan of actually having him in the lineup, but I do like having him as the 14th forward.

(Granted, when you're carrying 8 defensemen, you can't have a 14th forward.)

Old
01-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
I thought I posted this earlier, but something happened and I cant remember what it was.

We are going into panic mode after picking up 8 out of a possible 10 points. Im not sure if its just me, but thats seems pretty good.

Not talking about everyone, just the board as a whole

Closed Thread