HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

What Can You Do

Old
01-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
Yeah... Marty Brodeur has just been lucky to be on a good team for like 20 years.
Johan Hedberg, Scott Clemmenson

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:47 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
There's no real reason to do anything with him. Leave him in Rochester, they can use him.
Unless you think he won't make it through waivers, which is unknown at this point. They already lost Finley for nothing.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:03 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
I can't wait to collect a 4th round pick for Leopold so we can draft a defenceman with even less promise than Brennan.

Leopold's play at the end of the game cost us the extra point. While Brennan made some mistakes, they can probably be corrected. Leopold just didn't try. I can't watch that.
Do you need a list of what rental defensemen get at the deadline? Leopold will get at least a second round pick, if not more. If you think he wasn't trying, that's ridiculous. He ****ed up, and badly, but that doesn't equate to not trying. I've seen nothing from Brennan to convince me he's an NHL defenseman. Despite one terrible game, Leopold clearly is.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:10 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Do you need a list of what rental defensemen get at the deadline? Leopold will get at least a second round pick, if not more. If you think he wasn't trying, that's ridiculous. He ****ed up, and badly, but that doesn't equate to not trying. I've seen nothing from Brennan to convince me he's an NHL defenseman. Despite one terrible game, Leopold clearly is.
Yup. He simply got caught flat-footed and waiving his stick instead of playing the body. Even with him getting beat to the outside, Miller needs to have that save. You can't get beat short side from that angle.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:15 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Paul Hamilton sticking up for his BFF Lindy on the line change in OT saying it was "not an issue"

sba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:28 PM
indigoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Paul Hamilton sticking up for his BFF Lindy on the line change in OT saying it was "not an issue"
Yea I've heard a lot of nonsense today...

indigoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:31 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoo View Post
Yea I've heard a lot of nonsense today...
It..uh...didn't have any bearing on the play. That's just reality.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:02 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
What the hell lol

Yea ok paul

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:13 PM
ckg927

vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Probably no suspension because leafs are the "center of the hockey universe" what a joke
Were I in Ruff's shoes, here's what I'd tell the team: "Since the NHL won't help us, we must do the job ourselves. Here's what you do: Don't announce it, show up, kick Brown's ass and accept whatever punishment the league gives you." There would be a sign in the locker room: Attack one of us, you attack ALL of us.

I nominate Marcus Foligno as the person to get the job done on Mike Brown. Hell, he's already fought half the Leafs' roster in his time up here! Frattin knows not to mess with him. So does Mark Fraser. May we hope that Brown becomes just another victim.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:21 PM
ckg927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Glad to see the sort of mentality that lead to Bertuzzi-Moore still lives on.
I'm sorry, but when an opponent drills one of your teammates and puts him in the hospital, you either respond(either right then and there, or the next time both teams meet)or be thought of by other teams as a bunch of wimps that can be pushed around with ease.

To paraphrase CM Punk, "This is hockey. This ain't ballet."

Last edited by ckg927: 02-01-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 06:22 PM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
Were I in Ruff's shoes, here's what I'd tell the team: "Since the NHL won't help us, we must do the job ourselves. Here's what you do: Don't announce it, show up, kick Brown's ass and accept whatever punishment the league gives you." There would be a sign in the locker room: Attack one of us, you attack ALL of us.

I nominate Marcus Foligno as the person to get the job done on Mike Brown. Hell, he's already fought half the Leafs' roster in his time up here! Frattin knows not to mess with him. So does Mark Fraser. May we hope that Brown becomes just another victim.
Does this help us win the game? That's all I care about.

I'm sick of "taking positives" out of game...I want to take points.

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:25 PM
ckg927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagining Defeat View Post
Does this help us win the game? That's all I care about.

I'm sick of "taking positives" out of game...I want to take points.
What, you mean we can't have both? Get some revenge AND 2 points out of it?

Geez...the next time I want to get revenge, I'll ask Emily Thorne to make the plans.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:27 PM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
Quote:
What, you mean we can't have both? Get some revenge AND 2 points out of it?Geez...the next time I want to get revenge, I'll ask Emily Thorne to make the plans.
Clearly not in the Leafs game...

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:30 PM
indigoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
You said in the last 15 years. He was a superstar/elite player in his Rookie season.
Starting to look more like a fluke; but I'll reserve judgement for 10 years or so.

indigoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:37 PM
ckg927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagining Defeat View Post
Clearly not in the Leafs game...
I meant the NEXT time the Sabres and Leafs meet.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

vCash: 666
Can someone remind me what Brennan did that was so bad last night? I must be completely spacing on a gaff or something.

All I remember is: the boom of one wide shot; Foligno overhandling and opting not to set him up for a one-timer; Sekera botching the 2v2 goal; blocking Kessel's shot into the corner but Franson's point shot gets through and in anyway; uninvolved in Grigorenko's goal as it was Weber's shot that got through.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:53 PM
DJN21

Quote:

I partially agree. You cant just be a team of thugs and frankly we dont have the personnel to be one, however this team's "intensity" if you will is baffling.

One second or one period for that matter we are flying around hitting everyone engaging physically sticking up for our guys then its like something clicks in the players and/or lindy's head and we completely revert to our old style of play. If we remained physical an entire game we'd be the ones wearing the opposition down and scoring those late goals rather than being scored on late.

Its not just the fighting, though I do think buffalo needed to do more than let weber try to fight...its the physical mentality, the hitting, the shot blocking...id kill to have a Blues or Rangers mentality where the other team isnt even given the luxury of getting shots....shots on net need to be earned-period.

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:28 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Can someone remind me what Brennan did that was so bad last night? I must be completely spacing on a gaff or something.

All I remember is: the boom of one wide shot; Foligno overhandling and opting not to set him up for a one-timer; Sekera botching the 2v2 goal; blocking Kessel's shot into the corner but Franson's point shot gets through and in anyway; uninvolved in Grigorenko's goal as it was Weber's shot that got through.
I think you are witnessing groupthink exaggeration at work.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:01 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
I didn't see Brennan being worse than Leopold that game. Goal 1 and goal 4 were squarely on Leo and Miller. Goal 2 on Sekera and Miller.

The 3rd goal, Ehrhoff goes for a skate behind the net leaving Brennan to cover 2 Leafs at the front. The puck goes to the front and gets hacked to the corner. Brennan follows one of them who gets the puck to the point before TJ finishes him hard (it sounded hard, anyway). Then the wrist shot from the point eludes Miller (reference the first goal on the Kadri shot that Miller also waved at).

Just not seeing the evidence in the footage, and from what I saw of the game, to support statements like "Finley is better." I'll have the B's game on tape. Assuming the lineup doesn't change, we'll revisit this discussion based on what squeaks thru the ol' cataracts.

I was also flying against the grain saying that Kaleta made himself vulnerable by turning to the glass with the puck there. Just watched Bob MacKenzie make the point that the NHL referenced exactly that as to why MacDonald of NYI got a suspension for hit on Lovejoy and Brown did not for the hit on Kaleta.

Edit: This is not to say Brennan can't be awful, I watch enough Amerks games this year to know the amount of fail he's capable of. But again: age 23. Still trainable, and not in the Walmart-greeter sense.

Last edited by Ralonzo: 01-31-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:58 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

As bad as that Kaletta hit was, and as much as I think Ruff shoulda said something to defend his player... Kaletta saw the hit coming and turned his back to draw a penalty. I've watched the replay a few times, and thats how it looks.

Myers is far from *elite*, Vanek is tho, he has made average centres look good for years. Roy, Hodgson, Adam, Connolly... he hasn't had a true #1 centre since Briere.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:39 AM
umbertovanek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I think you are witnessing groupthink exaggeration at work.

umbertovanek is offline   Reply With Quote