Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 07:19 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Just to make us fell a tiny bit better ... at least we aren't the team that decided to bench Adam Larsson.
I didn't understand what New Jersey was doing with Larsson in the playoffs last spring either. To my eyes he was clearly one of their better options back there. They certainly weren't winning on the strength of their blueliners. Going with Larsson was pretty much their only chance at stemming the Kings' onslaught and they didn't take it. Seems like that has carried over into this season.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I completely forgot about Larsson.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:29 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Loktionov is exclusively a center, shouldn't hinder R. Smith or Sceviour at all.

Agreed on them looking to the East though, and he also wants playing time, most likely top 6, which we simply don't have for him. But I figured it couldn't hurt to think about it, at least.
I thought he was a guy that played all 3 positions, but I do believe Sceviour is a guy that will be Dallas' 4th line center either later this year if Dallas trades vets or possibly next season.

I don't understand how the whole waiver thing went down where every other players previously on waivers required them to return to the AHL yet he didn't. Regardless, I know that guy will require them next year. They need to make a spot for him. You should reward hard work with opportunities, and I hate this guy really hasn't seem to be given a good one yet.

I know he's a Bottom 6 guy and probably a 4th liner, but I just think about Stu Barnes when I see this guy ... and I freaking love Ssstttuuuuu!!!! I think he could be a pretty important grinder for Dallas.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
I thought he was a guy that played all 3 positions, but I do believe Sceviour is a guy that will be Dallas' 4th line center either later this year if Dallas trades vets or possibly next season.

I don't understand how the whole waiver thing went down where every other players previously on waivers required them to return to the AHL yet he didn't. Regardless, I know that guy will require them next year. They need to make a spot for him. You should reward hard work with opportunities, and I hate this guy really hasn't seem to be given a good one yet.

I know he's a Bottom 6 guy and probably a 4th liner, but I just think about Stu Barnes when I see this guy ... and I freaking love Ssstttuuuuu!!!! I think he could be a pretty important grinder for Dallas.
Sceviour has shown that he can be very versatile down here. I think he's definitely capable of becoming a solid 4th line center.

The only issue I have with him though is his size and how easily he's knocked off the puck. He makes great passes though, and he keeps his head on a swivel.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:38 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Sceviour has shown that he can be very versatile down here. I think he's definitely capable of becoming a solid 4th line center.

The only issue I have with him though is his size and how easily he's knocked off the puck. He makes great passes though, and he keeps his head on a swivel.
He's Morrow sized right? That sucks, but Ssstttuuu was tiny too!!!

Old
01-30-2013, 07:40 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
This looks like a good article about GMJN, but I haven't had a chance to read yet. The thing I noticed is GMJN saying he wishes that he had Benn's talent.
Quote:
"I had a few chats with Joe throughout the process," Benn said. "He let me know I am a big part of this franchise moving forward. I want to be there. I want to be that big part of the franchise. I'm definitely looking forward to the next five years and growing hockey in Dallas."
The above quote doesn't mean he's guaranteed to be a lifer here but it sure as hell puts to rest the notion that there was any bad blood between Benn and the Stars during the contract negotiation process. I also really like that he says he wants to be the go-to guy.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
He's Morrow sized right? That sucks, but Ssstttuuu was tiny too!!!

You know what? That's a great point. Stu was absolutely one of my favorite Stars.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:44 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
What has happened to player development in this league? It should be pretty ****ing simple .... young players have to play games. What ever level of hockey you want them to develop them in (WHL, OHL, QMJHL, USHL, College Hockey, Europe, ECHL AHL, NHL, etc.) .... it doesn't ****ing work on the bench. Playing games is all that matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
You mean sitting and watching game film then only playing 8 minutes the next night is not the right thing to do? Color me shocked!
We're all behind the times. These guys are reinventing player development here, the proof will be self evident down the road. Just wait until baseball get their hands on this juicy bit of knowledge.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:45 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Loktionov was more just a spur of the moment idea. I'd be fine to keep those picks and give that spot to Sceviour.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:53 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Do you think he'll be happy with 4th line minutes here? Maybe if we sent them Jagr. So Loktionov xould habe his minutes. Pardon typos, tablet typing is hard.
He's been in North America since 2008. He's currently playing in Manchester and not in the NHL. He'd probably gladly take 4th line minutes in the NHL at this point. A guy with his lack of experience doesn't ask for a trade and demand to land in someone's top 6.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:58 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
He's been in North America since 2008. He's currently playing in Manchester and not in the NHL. He'd probably gladly take 4th line minutes in the NHL at this point. A guy with his lack of experience doesn't ask for a trade and demand to land in someone's top 6.
He's getting 4th line minutes in LA, he's asking for a trade to get a top 9 spot because he thinks he's ready (and he is).

Old
01-30-2013, 08:01 PM
BigG44

Quote:
He's getting 4th line minutes in LA, he's asking for a trade to get a top 9 spot because he thinks he's ready (and he is).
Well then I'm confused. Why would he be OK with 4th line minutes in Dallas?

Old
01-30-2013, 08:01 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
My bad. HockeyDB is usually pretty up to date on their roster situations and he's not even listed as having played a game in LA this year.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:04 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Actually, now I'm looking at LA Kings boxscores and I don't see his name listed in the lineup. He's also not listed as a scratch for any of the ones I've seen yet.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Long term he'd be a good asset to pick up but we'd have to shed some forwards this year to make it work. Its hard for a forward to make LAs roster with the big guns they have there...

Old
01-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Long term he'd be a good asset to pick up but we'd have to shed some forwards this year to make it work. Its hard for a forward to make LAs roster with the big guns they have there...
Plus I don't think they'd want to trade him to a divisional (for now) opponent.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:44 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well then I'm confused. Why would he be OK with 4th line minutes in Dallas?
Yea I didn't think that one through very well

Old
01-30-2013, 08:46 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

Loktionov is a lot like Eakin. I would be very happy to add another Eakin.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Loktionov is a lot like Eakin. I would be very happy to add another Eakin.
I would be too but like I said we would have to move a forward from the top 9 and we have guys already clamoring for those spots.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:11 PM
BigG44

I know the smart money is slow development .... but dammit I hope this is his last road trip between Dallas and Austin:

Quote:
Jamie Oleksiak ‏@jamieoleksiak

Big rig just arrived in the Big D with @Rous_ant after a 3 hour roadie. Excited for the next couple days #TMA #selfproclaimed

Old
01-30-2013, 11:03 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Oleksiak is Myers.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:27 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Oleksiak is Myers.
Hope you're right. Would be quite sick.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Brand New Stars

I hope not. Myers development seems to have died after his rookie season.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:11 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
I hope not. Myers development seems to have died after his rookie season.
Haven't watched him then. That'd be awesome if he were in the mold of a Hedman, Myers-esque player.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:26 AM
Brand New Stars

Um actually I have. I don't see how anyone could honestly say his overall play has taken a step forward from his rookie year. While I wouldn't turn away Myers from the Stars, I would be very disappointed with Oleksiak if there weren't improvements the longer he's in the NHL.

Closed Thread