HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Brian Strait (Claimed by NY Islanders)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2013, 02:55 PM
  #526
IcedCapp
You're wrong. :(
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Yeah. I know Despres has been playing well enough... but, well... let's tell it like it is -- he still has waiver options. And his play in the A didn't exactly, like you said, warrant a firm spot on the roster.

Strait, in every way (including asset management), would have made more sense. But I guess done is done. So whatever. It still doesn't make watching him put a world class player like Malkin on his wallet, calmly collect the puck and move it to his partner (on the top pairing) any easier, though.

As for Bort... yeah... I am both looking forward to and dreading watching him try to make his way. It could be ugly, on this team but I'm a big believer in his ability.
Willing to give them a pass on Despres, if only because I'd like to think they are capable of thinking, "Maybe this player is just beyond the AHL and we need to move him up to continue to challenge him and force growth."

Now, given how they've treated every other player on the roster, I find it really hard to believe, but I'd like to wish it could be true.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:58 PM
  #527
gordie
Registered User
 
gordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,568
vCash: 500
Watching last night's game showed me the potential that Despres has. Soon as he started adding a little more physical edge to his game he looked much better. I don't expect him to be Scott Stevens but this coaching staff must make it clear to him that just a little more physical play will keep him in the NHL and will make an asset to this team.


Last edited by gordie: 01-30-2013 at 03:03 PM.
gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:58 PM
  #528
BlindWillyMcHurt
Registered User
 
BlindWillyMcHurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Willing to give them a pass on Despres, if only because I'd like to think they are capable of thinking, "Maybe this player is just beyond the AHL and we need to move him up to continue to challenge him and force growth."

Now, given how they've treated every other player on the roster, I find it really hard to believe, but I'd like to wish it could be true.
Agreed. Owing to the fact that Despres has looked like he belongs... I can't exactly gripe about how the whole thing shook out. It's just... you can't help but think that the entire thing could have been handled much better. Strait is a player. Anyone paying any attention the last few years could see that.

It isn't surprising, though. Stuff like that happens when you logjam one position and one position only through the draft and FA. But yes yes... I know -- "BPA!!!"

BlindWillyMcHurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:04 PM
  #529
IcedCapp
You're wrong. :(
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Agreed. Owing to the fact that Despres has looked like he belongs... I can't exactly gripe about how the whole thing shook out. It's just... you can't help but think that the entire thing could have been handled much better. Strait is a player. Anyone paying any attention the last few years could see that.

It isn't surprising, though. Stuff like that happens when you logjam one position and one position only through the draft and FA. But yes yes... I know -- "BPA!!!"
Well, see, I think the situation was botched and it has nothing to do with a logjam. We KNOW who/what Ben Lovejoy is. His ceiling is the best #10 Dman in the league. If you're unable to move him for a conditional 7th, put HIM on waivers and keep Strait, Bort, and Despres. There was no reason to keep Lovejoy, outside of some irrational love for something that isn't there.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:07 PM
  #530
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 12,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Agreed. Owing to the fact that Despres has looked like he belongs... I can't exactly gripe about how the whole thing shook out. It's just... you can't help but think that the entire thing could have been handled much better. Strait is a player. Anyone paying any attention the last few years could see that.

It isn't surprising, though. Stuff like that happens when you logjam one position and one position only through the draft and FA. But yes yes... I know -- "BPA!!!"
That sounds like some amazing hindsight. Can I borrow it some time?

Honesty I'm kidding, I still don't know why they let Strait go and not Lovejoy because there was absolutely nothing to lose. Let's not act like we all knew Strait was a top 4 guy though, and he still might not be. I'll wait until he actually has an established NHL career and isn't a minus player.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:07 PM
  #531
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover
 
Zen Arcade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 13,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Yeah. I know Despres has been playing well enough... but, well... let's tell it like it is -- he still has waiver options. And his play in the A didn't exactly, like you said, warrant a firm spot on the roster.

Strait, in every way (including asset management), would have made more sense. But I guess done is done. So whatever. It still doesn't make watching him put a world class player like Malkin on his wallet, calmly collect the puck and move it to his partner (on the top pairing) any easier, though.

As for Bort... yeah... I am both looking forward to and dreading watching him try to make his way. It could be ugly, on this team but I'm a big believer in his ability.
I have this weird combination of annoyance and vindication when it comes to Strait.

"See, I told you he was ready, look at him stand up on Mal...damnit"

The fact that the treatment of young players is exactly the same in WB/S really concerns me.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:07 PM
  #532
BlindWillyMcHurt
Registered User
 
BlindWillyMcHurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Well, see, I think the situation was botched and it has nothing to do with a logjam. We KNOW who/what Ben Lovejoy is. His ceiling is the best #10 Dman in the league. If you're unable to move him for a conditional 7th, put HIM on waivers and keep Strait, Bort, and Despres. There was no reason to keep Lovejoy, outside of some irrational love for something that isn't there.
Ah, yes. Of course.

I don't know why that didn't occur to me. I guess maybe I've already conditioned my brain to accept that he's a permanent fixture on this team.

BlindWillyMcHurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:10 PM
  #533
BlindWillyMcHurt
Registered User
 
BlindWillyMcHurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
That sounds like some amazing hindsight. Can I borrow it some time?

Honesty I'm kidding, I still don't know why they let Strait go and not Lovejoy because there was absolutely nothing to lose. Let's not act like we all knew Strait was a top 4 guy though, and he still might not be. I'll wait until he actually has an established NHL career and isn't a minus player.
???

OK.

I'm not saying he's a sure-fire top four NHL defenseman. I'm saying he's clearly an NHL contributor. And this was something I felt was established, at latest, last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I have this weird combination of annoyance and vindication when it comes to Strait.

"See, I told you he was ready, look at him stand up on Mal...damnit"

The fact that the treatment of young players is exactly the same in WB/S really concerns me.
Same. At least to start the game. Maybe it makes me a bad fan.. but after the Islanders scored their third goal, last night (Moulson, I believe -- which is just awesome, too) I was basically just pulling for Strait to get a point to sort of further rub it in.

And yeah... WB/S is, to me, a massive area of concern, in general.


Last edited by BlindWillyMcHurt: 01-30-2013 at 03:18 PM.
BlindWillyMcHurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:47 PM
  #534
The Old Master
Registered User
 
The Old Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: burgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
That sounds like some amazing hindsight. Can I borrow it some time?

Honesty I'm kidding, I still don't know why they let Strait go and not Lovejoy because there was absolutely nothing to lose. Let's not act like we all knew Strait was a top 4 guy though, and he still might not be. I'll wait until he actually has an established NHL career and isn't a minus player.
i didn't want to leave anybody go.....if you couldn't move one of the bottom guys move on of the older top guys......ya i know it would be a down grade at d., but we would be improving in other areas to make up for it pluss gaining a littel more cap space.

The Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:50 PM
  #535
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
???

OK.

I'm not saying he's a sure-fire top four NHL defenseman. I'm saying he's clearly an NHL contributor. And this was something I felt was established, at latest, last season.



Same. At least to start the game. Maybe it makes me a bad fan.. but after the Islanders scored their third goal, last night (Moulson, I believe -- which is just awesome, too) I was basically just pulling for Strait to get a point to sort of further rub it in.

And yeah... WB/S is, to me, a massive area of concern, in general.
Like I said earlier, I was bullish on him almost immediately, because I figured that at WORSE, we had a 5/6 guy on the cheap and wasn't a liability, with good skating and good puck management. Paired with the right guy, he could have been a decent #4.

In other words, he was already an NHL'er, a guy who was a little too good to be in the minors, with potential upside.

Lovejoy? Jesus ****ing Christ, he is what he is and will NEVER get better.

I'm gonna hurt someone in my league game tonight...

MtlPenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:12 PM
  #536
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 13,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Like I said earlier, I was bullish on him almost immediately, because I figured that at WORSE, we had a 5/6 guy on the cheap and wasn't a liability, with good skating and good puck management. Paired with the right guy, he could have been a decent #4.

In other words, he was already an NHL'er, a guy who was a little too good to be in the minors, with potential upside.

Lovejoy? Jesus ****ing Christ, he is what he is and will NEVER get better.

I'm gonna hurt someone in my league game tonight...
Mtl, Pey Pey says for you to take your meds:


Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:48 PM
  #537
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 40,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I think the issue is more specifically about why Lovejoy cracked the lineup than generally about the waiver wire process.
Oh, I'm as pissed off as anyone that we let Strait go for Lovejoy's sake. I think it was a dumb decision.

I just don't see anything in Strait's comments that would suggest they were "a brutal indictment of the coaching staff". His quote was exactly what you would expect any waiver wire pick-up to say.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:03 PM
  #538
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover
 
Zen Arcade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 13,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Oh, I'm as pissed off as anyone that we let Strait go for Lovejoy's sake. I think it was a dumb decision.

I just don't see anything in Strait's comments that would suggest they were "a brutal indictment of the coaching staff". His quote was exactly what you would expect any waiver wire pick-up to say.
The part about it being a good opportunity, sure, that's pretty standard. The part about the coaching staff having faith in him and not having to worry about being benched for any mistake he makes like he has for the last 2 years? Not so much.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:20 PM
  #539
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 40,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
The part about it being a good opportunity, sure, that's pretty standard. The part about the coaching staff having faith in him and not having to worry about being benched for any mistake he makes like he has for the last 2 years? Not so much.
He was a rookie defenseman trying to make a contender...10-12 minutes a night and a short leash are the order of the day. I'm sure getting 20 minutes on the Isles is a refreshing change for him, though.

I really wish we had kept the guy over Lovejoy. But I don't think anything he said is unusual or incendiary.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:30 PM
  #540
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover
 
Zen Arcade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 13,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
He was a rookie defenseman trying to make a contender...10-12 minutes a night and a short leash are the order of the day. I'm sure getting 20 minutes on the Isles is a refreshing change for him, though.

I really wish we had kept the guy over Lovejoy. But I don't think anything he said is unusual or incendiary.
I wouldn't say incendiary, but I'd say it was more candid than you'd normally see.

I wouldn't blame him for being frustrated, he did everything that asked of him and really never got a chance.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:36 PM
  #541
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 40,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I wouldn't say incendiary, but I'd say it was more candid than you'd normally see.

I wouldn't blame him for being frustrated, he did everything that asked of him and really never got a chance.
I can agree with that. I don't fault him for being a bit frustrated either - by rights he should be playing regular minutes here and Lovejoy should be on the Isles candidly commenting on how he wasn't given much opportunity.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:36 PM
  #542
luki here
Registered User
 
luki here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vienna
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
i normally appreciate when hockey players are candid in their press statements. Everything is so comercialised, that you hardly hear any authenticity. He wasnt spiteful, just finally had a chance to say what had been going for years already (probably). I wish the local media would work some articles about this angle.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:38 PM
  #543
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 23,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Oh, I'm as pissed off as anyone that we let Strait go for Lovejoy's sake. I think it was a dumb decision.

I just don't see anything in Strait's comments that would suggest they were "a brutal indictment of the coaching staff". His quote was exactly what you would expect any waiver wire pick-up to say.
I didn't call it a 'brutal indictment'. I would, however, call it a 'thinly veiled' one. And, frankly, the less hyperbolic adjective makes the noun no less true.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:03 PM
  #544
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 40,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I didn't call it a 'brutal indictment'. I would, however, call it a 'thinly veiled' one. And, frankly, the less hyperbolic adjective makes the noun no less true.
But billybudd did.

I will say that if Strait ends up being a go-to guy for the Isles, I'm going to be livid. Good for him and all that crap, but we need a guy just like what he projects to be, and we don't need a Lovejoy by any stretch of the imagination.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:05 PM
  #545
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 23,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
But billybudd did.

I will say that if Strait ends up being a go-to guy for the Isles, I'm going to be livid. Good for him and all that crap, but we need a guy just like what he projects to be, and we don't need a Lovejoy by any stretch of the imagination.
Hey, don't talk to me. Ask your buddy HCDB.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:07 PM
  #546
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 40,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Hey, don't talk to me. Ask your buddy HCDB.
Haha, well, he sure ain't perfect.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:10 PM
  #547
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 23,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Haha, well, he sure ain't perfect.
Who are you and what did you do with RRP?

BTW, when you see him, ask him to google 'sunk cost effect'.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:30 PM
  #548
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 40,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Who are you and what did you do with RRP?

BTW, when you see him, ask him to google 'sunk cost effect'.
Hey man, I know sunk cost. I studied Prophet of Glennie very closely in the WJC threads.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:38 PM
  #549
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 23,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Hey man, I know sunk cost. I studied Prophet of Glennie very closely in the WJC threads.
Ouch . . .

I know it too. I studied RRP in the Bylsma threads.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:59 PM
  #550
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 40,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Ouch . . .

I know it too. I studied RRP in the Bylsma threads.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.