HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

NHL 13 player growth

Old
01-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

vCash: 500
Finding the development is really weird.

Did a dynasty with the Panthers. Two centers on their team came out of nowhere in the 2nd year and both went up to 84 as 24 year olds(Matthias and another guy). Two years later at 26, they were down 2 overall. On the other hand, in my 7th year, I had defenceman who only decreased an overall or two and were 35+ years old.

Also, 1st overall picks for me never seem to come into the NHL right away. I didn't notice anyone elses 1st's in other years, maybe they did. But MacKinnon was a 62 with 4.5 green stars when drafted, took until he was 20 to play in the NHL. Aarron Ekblad was like 58 with 4.5 yellow and is now 23 and still is only 77 overall.

How much scouting do you guys do? I find it so confusing. I'm trying to find a good goalie and I don't understand it. For example, Joe Blow will have 4 stars when I first see him in the scouting central. But when my scout visits him, that drops. Then when he's drafted, it ends up being 4 stars afterall.

I wish they had NBA 2k13s style of scouting. Letter grades on three categories, short blurb about the player and maybe show a ceiling role (like "2nd line center")

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:41 AM
Gusto73

Update the rookie I mentioned jumped to 80 ovr...and the 3 stale players all stayed the same. The rookie I was happy with and ice time/numbers seem to work with him but other 3 not so much

On a side note anyone else noticing a ton of defensive defender prospects over 2 way and ofd?

Gusto73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:51 AM
SaNcAlandariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
I wish they had NBA 2k13s style of scouting. Letter grades on three categories, short blurb about the player and maybe show a ceiling role (like "2nd line center")
Do you mean like how the old potential system worked? I preferred the older system to the newer one because I really shouldn't be able to tell how good a player will be other than a letter grade estimation and a draft ranking estimation (with slight errors for realism). I like what they did with player roles but I hate the star system,

SaNcAlandariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Petes2424

For the first time in years, you cant even find a forum that really explains how the growth works. This new "brain" is so far from reality, at least in my opinion, it's gone horribly in the wrong direction.

I've played as much as anyone. Different strategies, theories, etc.

You can take Val Filpulla and trade him to Dallas, put him on a line with Erickson and he becomes one of the best players in the league.

Galchenyuk takes 6 years to develop almost always.

etc, etc, etc, etc......

I have yet to develop a player drafted after the 4th round. According the their "nhl 13 brain" they did a 25 year study. Well, I've done about 300 years and find little success of players drafted out of the first few rounds.

The fact that we dont have forums on the internet really discussing the issue (this year) compared to other years, tells me, nobody's figured it out either.

Total randomness.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:43 AM
Gusto73

I wouldn't say random as much as its just predetermined, and it also sucks to be frank

I can tell when players hit their peak regardless of age and potential

A 4 star rw has had 70+ points on my top line for 5 years

79 his first year and 82 every year since his 2nd

This last year a guy who was same age same potential jumped 4 points and was scratched most the year and had 9 points

Compared to the other guy 53g 41a and got nothing

Have had 2 other forwards 4 star potential be stuck at 81 from ages 20 and 21

Potential needs to be able to change based on stats and some errors for realism

This system is radom/predetermined If there were any rhyme or reason for this all theese "experiments" would be producing the same result over and over

But after 6 months of the game being played and hundreds of years simmed by us we constantly get different results and all have our own theroies

Final conclusion: EA failed miserably with this new system

Old
01-30-2013, 09:35 AM
trufleshufle13

it kinda sucks to be offline and not know who to pick because of the randomness.

but as far as GM connected goes, i think its for the best because people could scout guys doing off line GM modes 20 years into the future and know who to pick or trade for aggressively, or just get rid of.

this keeps people guessing and taking risks on trades like in real life. it sucks not knowing, but as long as no one knows it keep it fair.

trufleshufle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

I had Devan Dubnyk win the Vezina Trophy and Conn Smythe one season, and he went down two overall.

Yakupov almost never develops. I always have to boost him up to an all right overall (seriously EA, 62 overall? Lazy)

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:54 PM
Gusto73

I understand that it would be boring if everything was an exact science but its not consistent enough, and horribly randomre determined

I got a new system

Players at drafted are commonly between 2 and 4 stars rarely outside that but SOMETIMES can be

While they are young (less than 24/25) they grow rapidly and have a chance to raise or loose potential stars due to performance/ice time/not being hurt ect.

Therefore a 20 year old who wins the Calder and puts up 70 PTs may go from a 4 star to 4.5 in the offseason and get a good boost in overall

I also think that players should develop a bit in season, not nesicessarly with the xp system but maybe monthly the CPU does a quick calc factoring age potential and performance and awards a small boost or reduction

Because this current system is random, Pre determined, broken and flat out sucks

The old system wasn't perfect but much more realistic than this

Old
01-30-2013, 06:37 PM
trufleshufle13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusto73 View Post
I understand that it would be boring if everything was an exact science but its not consistent enough, and horribly randomre determined

I got a new system

Players at drafted are commonly between 2 and 4 stars rarely outside that but SOMETIMES can be

While they are young (less than 24/25) they grow rapidly and have a chance to raise or loose potential stars due to performance/ice time/not being hurt ect.

Therefore a 20 year old who wins the Calder and puts up 70 PTs may go from a 4 star to 4.5 in the offseason and get a good boost in overall

I also think that players should develop a bit in season, not nesicessarly with the xp system but maybe monthly the CPU does a quick calc factoring age potential and performance and awards a small boost or reduction

Because this current system is random, Pre determined, broken and flat out sucks

The old system wasn't perfect but much more realistic than this
predetermined AND random, thats interesting.

trufleshufle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:53 PM
Gusto73

Quote:
Originally Posted by trufleshufle13 View Post
predetermined AND random, thats interesting.
What I meant is that I don't understand how they come up with who's going to max out where

But it seems the CPU knows where someone will top out regardless of age or what they do

Lol I coulda worded that better

Old
01-31-2013, 03:40 PM
GruntLife

So glad I found this site today..

Anyways, what I have done to get around the slow progression of rookies/prospects is simply go in and re-rate all of them. It's a bit time consuming, depending on how in depth you want to go.

One example is Yak. I re-rated him from a 62 to a 74. Now he will stay with the Oilers in the game, and will bump up to a 79-80 after his first season.

Also edited 2013, 14, and a few 15 prospects. I *THINK* they progress in the Juniors anyways (the 14 and 15 kids.) I've seen Drouin get drafted and be a 78 as a rookie when he was a 66 in Juniors going into the draft.

GruntLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:12 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

vCash: 50
hey guys, couple of growth questions

1) having a hard time placing Stefan Matteau in a NJD BGM. ive tried pulling him straight to the NHL, on 1st 2nd and third lines for 2 or 3 years (went from 59 to 61), tried leaving him in juniors for 3 years (grew 59 to 62). want this guy to be a decent 2nd or third line scorer by about yr3-4 but cant make it happen. any advice?

2) my first pick at the draft was Monahan. want this guy to be a solid Elias replacement (he usually retires around yr 3) but having the same trouble placing him as above

3) i traded for Galchenyuk and Drouin to place on my 4th line. will they have a decent stat boost if i leave them there for a while? and what kind of player should i have with them to get the best. my lines midway in my 2nd year of my serious attempt are currently

Kovy - Henrique - Ryan
Alfredsson - Zajac - Gange
Clarkson - Elias - Zubrus
xxxxxx - Galchenyuk - Drouin

thanks for any advice

KaossKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusto73 View Post
I wouldn't say random as much as its just predetermined, and it also sucks to be frank

I can tell when players hit their peak regardless of age and potential

A 4 star rw has had 70+ points on my top line for 5 years

79 his first year and 82 every year since his 2nd

This last year a guy who was same age same potential jumped 4 points and was scratched most the year and had 9 points

Compared to the other guy 53g 41a and got nothing

Have had 2 other forwards 4 star potential be stuck at 81 from ages 20 and 21

Potential needs to be able to change based on stats and some errors for realism

This system is radom/predetermined If there were any rhyme or reason for this all theese "experiments" would be producing the same result over and over

But after 6 months of the game being played and hundreds of years simmed by us we constantly get different results and all have our own theroies

Final conclusion: EA failed miserably with this new system
I literally started a spreadsheet back in September and finally gave up sometime around Thanksgiving. There is absolutely no skill to it whatsoever.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Gusto73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
I literally started a spreadsheet back in September and finally gave up sometime around Thanksgiving. There is absolutely no skill to it whatsoever.
That's what I'm saying, if it wasn't a random cluster**** then you would see a clear pattern that you could repeat, of course with a small sample error like any other working theory in every day life

The fact you, nor anyone else can proves that it's a crapshoot with no real engine driving it

Of course there should and is abnormalities in real life and that is what would make it realistic but to have it te way it is kills bagm mode

..then again it's ea so would you expect anything less?

Old
02-02-2013, 02:38 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
They should just go back to NHL 12's potential system.

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:49 PM
SaNcAlandariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hossa View Post
They should just go back to NHL 12's potential system.
They should just go back to everything they did in NHL '12, minus the skating enigne and the GM connected mode.

SaNcAlandariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:47 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNcAlandariel View Post
They should just go back to everything they did in NHL '12, minus the skating enigne and the GM connected mode.
This!

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:08 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNcAlandariel View Post
I like the idea of grading prospects based on stars; potential in '12 was distributed arbitrarily and very few computer-generated players were well-rounded. I'd like to see development being more realistic and potential allocated to each category instead of the overall. Preferably with some sort of formula depending on player type to limit too much discrepancy between attributes.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Gusto73

I think the best way to curve this is to add in season growth again

They don't need xp per say but awarding points during the season would help to keeping the "statistic based growth" they pitched and claimed the dev would be like

For all the top 5 busts they have there is also no ability to find anyone worth anything past round 2 (and most the time after pick 40 it's all garbage)

Old
02-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
I liked how in 12 you could tell each player what facet of his game you wanted him to focus most on getting better at.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:40 PM
HoseEmDown

As long as you draft a player in rounds 4-7 that isn't red star rated you can usually trade them for a third round pick. I've also seen a decent amount of goalies in the third that are 3.5 yellow, they usually aren't very good and won't develope but they have good trade value.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:00 PM
western redmen

vCash: 562
I didn't like the 12 prospect system at all, there are always 2-5 B level prospect in ufa every year

western redmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Jagrbombs19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
In GM Connected you mean?

I think most of the discussion here is about Be-A-GM. The progression engines appear to be very different.

I can tell you that Gormley moves to (I think) 77 for the 3rd season.

I would expect that Murray doesn't get a siginificant jump until 4-5.
Murray jumped from an 80 to an 85 in his first year for me

Jagrbombs19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Oil and Avs

vCash: 958
Brayden Holtby wins the vezina and conn smyth. Starts season as 82, goes up one to and 83......

Oil and Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:28 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by western redmen View Post
I didn't like the 12 prospect system at all, there are always 2-5 B level prospect in ufa every year
They usually had low overalls though, so most of those weren't guaranteed to be quality NHL'ers, although they were generally good bottom 6/spare bets. Not too different from what happens IRL.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote