HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster thoughts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2013, 05:47 PM
  #51
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
boy oh boy a 4 game losing streak really gets to people lol
More like a 4 year losing streak

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:51 PM
  #52
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
boy oh boy a 4 game losing streak really gets to people lol
2008 10th
2009 10th
2010 3rd
2011 7th (Brutal most of year)
2012 9th (Brutal until trade deadline)
2013 (Brutal so far)


CLEARLY what we are doing isn't working.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:56 PM
  #53
JPurp26
Registered User
 
JPurp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,229
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
boy oh boy a 4 game losing streak really gets to people lol
We have not won a playoff series since 2007.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:59 PM
  #54
Jeremy2020
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
I would trade Ennis, Stafford and Sekera for a real centre.
No one is taking that deal.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:01 PM
  #55
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2020 View Post
No one is taking that deal.
Ennis
Stafford
Sekera


ya that would get you are pretty good center value wise, but I don't see any that are available.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:02 PM
  #56
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
We have not won a playoff series since 2007.
we've won our own division twice in 15 years...

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:10 PM
  #57
DJN21
Registered User
 
DJN21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rochester
Posts: 1,785
vCash: 500
and trading away every good player we have over the age of 23 is going to burst us onto the winning scene?

Anyone who thinks any of Pegula, Darcy or Ruff are going to let a full blown rebuild happen clearly is out of touch with this organization.

And not to be that overly optimistic fan but LA proved last year that where you finish in your division doesn't mean $hit, we can finish 8th every year for the rest of our existence if we're still winning cups.

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:14 PM
  #58
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
and trading away every good player we have over the age of 23 is going to burst us onto the winning scene?

Anyone who thinks any of Pegula, Darcy or Ruff are going to let a full blown rebuild happen clearly is out of touch with this organization.

And not to be that overly optimistic fan but LA proved last year that where you finish in your division doesn't mean $hit, we can finish 8th every year for the rest of our existence if we're still winning cups.
So... You're sayig this teams as good as LA? This team isn't winning a cup, we can build it properly or keep trying to squeek in and go on a cinderella run

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:15 PM
  #59
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,573
vCash: 500
I'll invoke LA as relevant precedent when we have three elite two way centers and three elite defensive defensemen.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:16 PM
  #60
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
and trading away every good player we have over the age of 23 is going to burst us onto the winning scene?

Anyone who thinks any of Pegula, Darcy or Ruff are going to let a full blown rebuild happen clearly is out of touch with this organization.

And not to be that overly optimistic fan but LA proved last year that where you finish in your division doesn't mean $hit, we can finish 8th every year for the rest of our existence if we're still winning cups.
yea, teams from the 8th seed win cups all the time...

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:17 PM
  #61
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN
 
Rhett4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Home of the 'Merks
Country: United States
Posts: 11,730
vCash: 500
Last year: "The new core of Myers, Ennis, Foligno, and Hodgson, plus Armia, Grigs, and the rest in the pipeline coming up means we have an awesome team soon!"

Now: "The new core is as bad as the old! Time for a new, new core! Tank!"

I'm not happy either, but the team is in the middle of what amounts to a minor rebuild. It's not time to scrap it and start all over with a major one.

The problem with this team is that Regier didn't address the center issue in the short term (a sophmore center and winger convert as your top 2 aren't the answer) and Ruff seems like he forgot how to coach. This team doesn't need a rebuild...just an aggressive GM to tweak the lineup and a coach that doesn't ask for line changes with 9 seconds to go in a game.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:19 PM
  #62
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
One of the benefits of a shortened season is that many teams will be in the playoff hunt come April. More teams to sell to at the deadline.
Exactly. You think if Florida is in the mix come deadline day, but has questions in net, they wouldn't jump on the idea of Miller?

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:19 PM
  #63
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Last year: "The new core of Myers, Ennis, Foligno, and Hodgson, plus Armia, Grigs, and the rest in the pipeline coming up means we have an awesome team soon!"

Now: "The new core is as bad as the old! Time for a new, new core! Tank!"

I'm not happy either, but the team is in the middle of what amounts to a minor rebuild. It's not time to scrap it and start all over with a major one.

The problem with this team is that Regier didn't address the center issue in the short term (a sophmore center and winger convert as your top 2 aren't the answer) and Ruff seems like he forgot how to coach. This team doesn't need a rebuild...just an aggressive GM to tweak the lineup and a coach that doesn't ask for line changes with 9 seconds to go in a game.
No wants a new, new core. We like the new core and want to add to it

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:20 PM
  #64
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity
 
ClearedButNotOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Satellite of Love
Country: United States
Posts: 1,007
vCash: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
and trading away every good player we have over the age of 23 is going to burst us onto the winning scene?

Anyone who thinks any of Pegula, Darcy or Ruff are going to let a full blown rebuild happen clearly is out of touch with this organization.
And not to be that overly optimistic fan but LA proved last year that where you finish in your division doesn't mean $hit, we can finish 8th every year for the rest of our existence if we're still winning cups.
I don't think anyone thinks the organization would do that...that's the problem...hence the frustration...

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:20 PM
  #65
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Last year: "The new core of Myers, Ennis, Foligno, and Hodgson, plus Armia, Grigs, and the rest in the pipeline coming up means we have an awesome team soon!"

Now: "The new core is as bad as the old! Time for a new, new core! Tank!"

I'm not happy either, but the team is in the middle of what amounts to a minor rebuild. It's not time to scrap it and start all over with a major one.

The problem with this team is that Regier didn't address the center issue in the short term (a sophmore center and winger convert as your top 2 aren't the answer) and Ruff seems like he forgot how to coach. This team doesn't need a rebuild...just an aggressive GM to tweak the lineup and a coach that doesn't ask for line changes with 9 seconds to go in a game.
i dont think anyone is suggesting scrapping the rebuild... i'm suggesting committing to it.

i would trade Miller... we can keep and re-sign pommer... and i would dangle vanek at the draft.

your goalie is only as good as the team around him... we can fix the goaltending later

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:21 PM
  #66
Girgenburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
If this ends up being a bad season, I view Ennis, Stafford, and Sekera as our most valuable trading chips and I could see any of them being packaged for an impact player.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:26 PM
  #67
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN
 
Rhett4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Home of the 'Merks
Country: United States
Posts: 11,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
If this ends up being a bad season, I view Ennis, Stafford, and Sekera as our most valuable trading chips and I could see any of them being packaged for an impact player.
I wish they had dealt Ennis after last season. His value was insanely high then. If he has a poor year or hurts that ankle again, he's pissing that value away. And I'm just not convinced he's in the Sabres long-term plans at center. They may move him back to wing someday, but a 5'9 perimeter winger isn't what the team needs.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:38 PM
  #68
DJN21
Registered User
 
DJN21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rochester
Posts: 1,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
I'll invoke LA as relevant precedent when we have three elite two way centers and three elite defensive defensemen.
LA didnt have 3 elite centers for the entire year they got one of them at the deadline, theres no reason we cant make a move at the deadline as they did.

and not trying to be a jerk here but 3 elite defensive defensemen? even counting drew doughty as elite defensively to me is a stretch let alone whomever else you are throwing in that convo.

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:43 PM
  #69
DJN21
Registered User
 
DJN21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rochester
Posts: 1,785
vCash: 500
We need one defenseman and/or new pairings with what we have to have a decent backend. Myers, sekera, ehrhoff, regher arent going anywhere and frankly thats a solid core. If weber can keep his play up and we could add one guy there we'd be fine.

Miller is among the best goalies in the league...many of the goalies you would consider better than him are having worse years so far...

yes we are terrible in the dot, we clearly need a center in the mold of a stoll etc but you cant honestly tell me you think ennis, and stafford are gonna be this bad all year? v-p-h line is doing just fine. Foligno and ott are exactly what this team needs...we have armia,girgs,pysyk at least coming soon with mcnabb,mccabe etc as peripheral prospects...

we are a team missing 2-3 pieces and a new coach...not exactly something id blow up over but thats just me. I didnt expect to win this year so im fine with foligno and grigs growing...

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:49 PM
  #70
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
LA didnt have 3 elite centers for the entire year they got one of them at the deadline, theres no reason we cant make a move at the deadline as they did.

and not trying to be a jerk here but 3 elite defensive defensemen? even counting drew doughty as elite defensively to me is a stretch let alone whomever else you are throwing in that convo.
...and then we'd have one elite two-way center.

Scuderi-Doughty/Mitchell-Voynov is leagues better defensively than our top four, and yes, I'd qualify Scuderi and Mitchell as top defensive defensemen in the league. Doughty isn't as good at raw goal prevention, but he's no slouch in his own zone either, and everything else he brings to the table, which is a ton, he can do against the opposition's best players.

Really, the 2012 Kings were lightyears ahead of where this team is.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:03 PM
  #71
DJN21
Registered User
 
DJN21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rochester
Posts: 1,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
...and then we'd have one elite two-way center.

Scuderi-Doughty/Mitchell-Voynov is leagues better defensively than our top four, and yes, I'd qualify Scuderi and Mitchell as top defensive defensemen in the league. Doughty isn't as good at raw goal prevention, but he's no slouch in his own zone either, and everything else he brings to the table, which is a ton, he can do against the opposition's best players.

Really, the 2012 Kings were lightyears ahead of where this team is.
I agree their forwards are much better, but dont really see their defense as being that better than ours. I think our defense has gotten off to a horrid start but we have the skill there to be as good if not better.

Their offense is def another story though and I agree with you there. However I feel we could add one proven goal scorer and at least have a shot...ik they have been buffalo pipe dreams for years but any of the ducks big three in a trade could certainly get us in contention.

sorry for the rant lol

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:08 PM
  #72
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,573
vCash: 500
In order to match LA's defense from last year, we'd need Myers and Sekera to raise their defensive games to career highs and to add another defenseman who is also better in his own zone than anyone currently on this roster. I think our defense is closer to resembling LA's than our forwards are, but both need many, (many, many, many up front) things to swing favorably in order to make that happen.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:10 PM
  #73
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
I agree their forwards are much better, but dont really see their defense as being that better than ours. I think our defense has gotten off to a horrid start but we have the skill there to be as good if not better.

Their offense is def another story though and I agree with you there. However I feel we could add one proven goal scorer and at least have a shot...ik they have been buffalo pipe dreams for years but any of the ducks big three in a trade could certainly get us in contention.

sorry for the rant lol
Their defense is better than ours. I think our defense is better than it looks right now, but their defense is much better than ours. We're not anywhere close to the cup right now. I pray to God in a few years we are, but who knows then. If Myers doesn't develop, we have a big hole in our defense that needs to be filled. A lot of good prospects who might develop into difference makers in our forwards crops but still have to prove they can do it. Our defense looks awful though. Just awful, and if Miller is not here...

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:14 PM
  #74
DJN21
Registered User
 
DJN21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rochester
Posts: 1,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
In order to match LA's defense from last year, we'd need Myers and Sekera to raise their defensive games to career highs and to add another defenseman who is also better in his own zone than anyone currently on this roster. I think our defense is closer to resembling LA's than our forwards are, but both need many, (many, many, many up front) things to swing favorably in order to make that happen.
I think we need to add one guy and Robyn needs to be the guy we traded for. Outside of that I think we are better coaching and better play from our forwards away from being fine defensively. Well sorry I'll go back...we need to lose Leopold along the way too or stop relying on him as a shutdown big minutes guy...

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:32 PM
  #75
dire wolf
be cool
 
dire wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 4,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
I'll invoke LA as relevant precedent when we have three elite two way centers and three elite defensive defensemen.
and, most importantly, a goalie that was on a white-hot streak standing on his head and stealing games

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.