HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goalie situation after this season?

Old
01-30-2013, 02:06 PM
StrongIslanders90

vCash: 500
give Nabby a raise and a 2 year deal i he plays the whole season like hes been playing

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:34 PM
West Coast Isles Fan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
All I know is that both Poulin and Nilsson have both been extremely underwhelming in the AHL this season. If we are going into next season with one of them as our starter with DP as our backup, I will not be too confident about our goalie situation.

West Coast Isles Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:37 PM
blinkman360
Norris

My first choice would be to bring Nabokov back. My second choice would be to offer Anaheim a package for Jonas Hiller, who will be one year away from UFA status, hoping that they like Gibson enough to make him available.

Continue the Swiss connection.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:40 PM
ekill08x

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Isles Fan View Post
All I know is that both Poulin and Nilsson have both been extremely underwhelming in the AHL this season. If we are going into next season with one of them as our starter with DP as our backup, I will not be too confident about our goalie situation.
Either we have the worst defense in the AHL or they both just suck because they have some of the worst numbers among goalies in the AHL.

ekill08x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:44 PM
malPHONEY

I'm just wondering when Poulin or Nilsson will ever be ready. Poulin especially has gotten several looks but he still seems ages away from getting a real chance.

The longer we wait the more I doubt both of them.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:49 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
I'm just wondering when Poulin or Nilsson will ever be ready. Poulin especially has gotten several looks but he still seems ages away from getting a real chance.

I wouldn't judge their upside on their AHL numbers. Both of them have looked pretty good at the NHL level in their breif appearances. Poulin before that injury, and Nilsson in his few games this past season. I wouldn't be shocked if one of them turns into a solid #1, although it would obviously be a lot safer to look elsewhere.

This is also a reason why I wanted the Isles to draft Vasilevski. In case neither of Poulin or Nilsson had separated themselves, or in a situation where both of them flop we'd have some sort of backup plan waiting in the wings. Unfortunately he went a lot earlier than I anticipated(19th overall).

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:22 PM
ekill08x

We also have Mikko Koskinen too who we seem to be toying around with.

ekill08x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:14 PM
BMOK33

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I can't believe Jimmy Howard is an UFA, that would be a no brainer to pick him up.
He's a terrible goalie, only seems good because the team in front of him, since his first full season he's posted a .908 and .920 save percentage, not all impressive for a team that won 47 and 48 games respectively...look at the numbers for goalies on other teams with those number of winds and you'll see mid 920s to low 930s.

BMOK33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:27 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
Why didn't the Islanders buy out DP before the season and call up one of the kids for backup duty? Cap floor?
i think this is CFR (CapFloorRelated)

i just cant see wang ever buying out dp. I think he will try to reintegrate those dp millions by making dp part owner after his career bet he is constantly telling dp not to spend too much!

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:28 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33 View Post
He's a terrible goalie, only seems good because the team in front of him, since his first full season he's posted a .908 and .920 save percentage, not all impressive for a team that won 47 and 48 games respectively...look at the numbers for goalies on other teams with those number of winds and you'll see mid 920s to low 930s.
As per Kyle's mom..what what whattttttttttt? Maybe he is not the greatest but saying he's terrible is wrong.

01-30-2013, 07:08 PM
Brooklanders*

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Isles Fan View Post
I would offer a package for Bernier in the future

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Wanderson

I would like to see Viktor Fasth here. He is a very good goalie. He is a "late-bloomer(?)" just like Thomas. I think he got 5-8 years left in the NHL, and I think he can be a starter somewhere.

One funny thing is that both Fasth and Thomas has played in AIK in Sweden.

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:20 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
I would like to see Viktor Fasth here. He is a very good goalie. He is a "late-bloomer(?)" just like Thomas. I think he got 5-8 years left in the NHL, and I think he can be a starter somewhere.

One funny thing is that both Fasth and Thomas has played in AIK in Sweden.
Only seen him play one game but I thought the same thing.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Wanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Only seen him play one game but I thought the same thing.
I've seen him play a number of times in the SEL and in the Swedish national team. He is always solid.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=5147

Another funny thing is that he has been playing for Brooklyn Tigers. A local team from Luleå, up north in Sweden.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:47 PM
bigtim1988
YES! YES! YES! YES!

im not sold on either Poulin or Nilsson being ready for a starting role next season, if nabokov does good this year, i think he should be extend one more year. i have seen a lot of good from the both of them, but their subpar numbers this year concern me.

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
Another interesting thought is does Snow/Cappy really in their heart of hearts believe that Ricky can ever become a starter again? I would love to be a fly on the wall during a conversation about him between those two.
I don't think anyone in their right mind saw the Boston game and thinks that DiPietro will ever be a starter in the NHL again. The guy can't even get up when he goes down. He has almost zero lateral movement. The Bergeron goal was just embarrassing.

Quote:
I think we see the Poulin/Nilsson show next season, after practically 3 full seasons in the AHL (2 for Nilsson), they should be ready. Koskinen might be ready as well. It's time for all 3 to be fighting for the #1 spot
I hope not. Next year will be crucial to the Isles taking the next step. Doing that with 3 rookie goalies would be a big mistake, IMO.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:07 PM
JeffNYI

It's been a weird start to the season.

We need to push the goaltending question back half of a year..

I know he's only played a handful of games in 2013 but it's already completely obvious: we need to open negotiations with Nabokov, right now.

Give him a $2 million raise. Hell, since it's Wang's money - give him $3 million more!

Then let Poulin, Nilsson and Koskinen all have the fair opportunity in a proper NHL training camp and pre-season and let our staff figure out if we've got something in any of those three or not.. then go from there..

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:49 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
I don't think anyone in their right mind saw the Boston game and thinks that DiPietro will ever be a starter in the NHL again. The guy can't even get up when he goes down. He has almost zero lateral movement. The Bergeron goal was just embarrassing.
What that being said Richie what do you think the chances are he gets bought out? That seems to be the 1 and only solution. Maybe Mike Milbury can get another GM gig and take him off our hands since he is convinced Ricky should be playing more

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:52 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post

I hope not. Next year will be crucial to the Isles taking the next step. Doing that with 3 rookie goalies would be a big mistake, IMO.
You mean THE BREAKAWAY? You are almost as bad as Dee Karl over at Hockeybuzz blaming a goalie for a breakaway goal, lmfao!! You haven't posted many absurd things before but on a breakaway a very subtle move can make a big difference in a goalies momentum and that's all that happened there. DP bit on a little fake and still almost got to the post in time. You are using a horrible example....

With that said, DP has definitely NOT proven he is starter material and unless things drastically change (still have a lot of games left) he will remain a back up option going into next year. It would be great if we could resign Nabby...but i'm leery of that being a possibility. I think we will have to sign a veteran free agent (similar to Nabby's status) in order to get someone in net. If not we are looking at inserting one of the two headed rookies and it's a risk. I think Poulin looks more ready than Nilsson, even though the latter will be the more talented in the end. We'll see...

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:59 PM
Renbarg

Ricky is no longer a starter but he did good in the Boston game. The only goal I think he should of had was the Chara one.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:07 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

I don't think he played awful either but lets face it he is now at best a back up goalie.

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:18 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
I think we see the Poulin/Nilsson show next season, after practically 3 full seasons in the AHL (2 for Nilsson), they should be ready. Koskinen might be ready as well. It's time for all 3 to be fighting for the #1 spot, the losers are the #2 and minor leaguer. I truly feel we have 2 potential #1 goalies with Poulin/Nilsson.
You'll see one of them. Not both.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:10 PM
Wanderson

I think we're underrating Koskinen. He has been very good in Finland. He might even be better than Poulin and Nilsson... Not sure.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:52 PM
PhysicalGraffiti
Bolts and Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
I think we're underrating Koskinen. He has been very good in Finland. He might even be better than Poulin and Nilsson... Not sure.
I'd really like to see him here in camp next season, I like Koskinen and feel like he has some potential.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:37 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post

They're goaltenders. They're not forwards (or even defensemen). Not sure how quickly you're expecting goaltenders to develop?

edit: Also people are forgetting how goaltenders stop playing well: it's all of a sudden. It's not a gradual decrease. There's many reasons why-but we don't know when Nabby will get there-but he's no spring chicken. I don't think we should bank on him for next year. I fear it might be DP.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote