HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part V)

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 07:20 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

vCash: 500
camjan is the man.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Yeah, it's not just Cam being bad, it's the fact that his being bad causes more wear and tear on the rest of the lineup because you don't play him many minutes and have to hide him from everyone else other than enforcers. Tampa Bay couldn't wait to get St. Louis and company out against him last year when he stayed on too long and boom, a goal against.
Haha I was at that game up for the weekend! Larsson was terrible in that game. I think it was his first game back since the Subban hit.

I was also at a game against the Panthers in Florida. The one we won in the shootout. Janssen's line got pinned in the zone for like a minute, and Larsson I remember was on the ice too. It cause a goal against. Or the countless icings Cam's lines would take.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:23 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Haha I was at that game up for the weekend! Larsson was terrible in that game. I think it was his first game back since the Subban hit.
You were up for the game when the guy hit the score-o shot from Center Ice? That was about the only noteworthy thing about that game (of course I was in the concourse at the time but did happen to look at the TV and instinctively cheered when he put it in cause I thought nobody would ever get a puck in that little hole lol), plus I think it was Zidlicky's debut too. Otherwise that was a Al-Trautwig BRUTAL game

Old
01-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
I thought I posted this earlier, but something happened and I cant remember what it was.

We are going into panic mode after picking up 8 out of a possible 10 points. Im not sure if its just me, but thats seems pretty good.

Not talking about everyone, just the board as a whole
Yeah, this is something I can't quite understand. We're all freaking out because the team isn't perfect. Well, no kidding. We lost arguably our best player and a solid depth guy out of the lineup, and our RotY candidate is out with an injury. The fact that we've done as well as we have so far is nothing short of remarkable.

Lou needs to do some of his magic and fix us. That's sort of a given, given the gaping holes in the squad where Parise and Ponikarovsky used to be.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:26 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

except that janssen also prevents a lot of wear and tear by going out against other teams' enforcers and preventing someone like John Scott from breaking Elias' back

Old
01-30-2013, 07:28 PM
apice3*

Aside from tiebreakers, 3-0-2 is the same as being 4-1-0, when looked at in its simplest form. That's pretty good.

Old
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
You were up for the game when the guy hit the score-o shot from Center Ice? That was about the only noteworthy thing about that game (of course I was in the concourse at the time but did happen to look at the TV and instinctively cheered when he put it in cause I thought nobody would ever get a puck in that little hole lol), plus I think it was Zidlicky's debut too. Otherwise that was a Al-Trautwig BRUTAL game
Haha yup it was Zidlicky's first game. And yeah I remember the score-o thing. It was after the 2nd intermission, and I joked about how this guy has, and probably will score more goals than the Devils today! I think we scored 3 and so did he. Nothing beats game 3 of the Florida series as far as clunkers go for me last year. That Lightning game was pretty brutal. Even worse than the Isles game with Grabner's breakaway fest, and the fans booing Kovy after the happy thanksgiving message!

Old
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Personally I think Clarkson is an overrated fighter. Glad he drops the gloves, but aside from Konopka and Simmonds, his fighting career is just beating up a bunch of losers.

Plus Clarkson has emerged as a good offensive talent. Fighting idiots is good for chemistry but we're going to be sending the better player to the box more often than not.
Glad I didn`t forget what I posted.

Quote:
And you`re right, but still, let`s not pretend like those hits happen all the time. He can take care of himself against the likes of Hendricks.

Also, love Clarkie, but I don`t think he should be penciled in our top6.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:30 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

There's a difference between 'freaking out/panicking' and run of the mill message board back-and-forth. By the standard of panicking some of you have, the board is panicking every single day (and some people will say that's true too ).

Old
01-30-2013, 07:30 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Aside from tiebreakers, 3-0-2 is the same as being 4-1-0, when looked at in its simplest form. That's pretty good.
ehhh it's not 5-0

Old
01-30-2013, 07:32 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Haha yup it was Zidlicky's first game. And yeah I remember the score-o thing. It was after the 2nd intermission, and I joked about how this guy has, and probably will score more goals than the Devils today! I think we scored 3 and so did he. Nothing beats game 3 of the Florida series as far as clunkers go for me last year. That Lightning game was pretty brutal. Even worse than the Isles game with Grabner's breakaway fest, and the fans booing Kovy after the happy thanksgiving message!
Do we have to bar you from the building or did you actually see a couple of good ones last year too? Good god, that is an 'impressive' list lol.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:34 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
There's a difference between 'freaking out/panicking' and run of the mill message board back-and-forth. By the standard of panicking some of you have, the board is panicking every single day (and some people will say that's true too ).
I wouldn't call it panic. I'd take it down to widespread overreactions

Full blown panic is when I joined this board... I walked into a forum of people worrying that we'd get swept by the Islanders that one week and get knocked out of the playoffs from a comfortable 6th seed position.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Jack Griffin

I don't understand the argument that having Janssen in the lineup would prevent another goon from taking a run at one of our players. Their punishment for taking a run at someone would be to do something that they already do? That would be like making me eat cake after I did something illegal, I would gladly eat cake anyway so why would that deter me from doing anything.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:38 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
I know 5 games is a terribly small sample size, but I'm just thinking out loud here.

Last year, at 48 games, 8th place in the East (NJ) was 55 points. 9th place TOR also had 55. So lets say to get in outright, the cutoff would be 56 points.

60 points should get you comfortably in (5th-6th place), so that'll be our goal.

8 points in the bank, we need 52 points in our remaining 43 games. 22-13-8 is enough to get that done, and I think that's a record we're perfectly capable of. As long as Marty continues to play well and allow so few goals, we should be able to get at least a point in the majority of our games.

I expect a lot of 3 point games this season, which bodes well for us since we're traditionally one of the best shootout teams ever. This is where losing Zach will hurt us the most IMO, but Marty, Kovy, and Patty all have stellar shootout credentials.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Richey View Post
I don't understand the argument that having Janssen in the lineup would prevent another goon from taking a run at one of our players. Their punishment for taking a run at someone would be to do something that they already do? That would be like making me eat cake after I did something illegal, I would gladly eat cake anyway so why would that deter me from doing anything.
This is a good point. Unless you have someone who can absolutely knock them the **** out and they fear him (McIntyre? nah, such player doesn`t exist), it`s not worth it. I would consider that a weak argument for keeping goons in the lineup.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:42 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Yeah, this is something I can't quite understand. We're all freaking out because the team isn't perfect. Well, no kidding. We lost arguably our best player and a solid depth guy out of the lineup, and our RotY candidate is out with an injury. The fact that we've done as well as we have so far is nothing short of remarkable.

Lou needs to do some of his magic and fix us. That's sort of a given, given the gaping holes in the squad where Parise and Ponikarovsky used to be.
Question is : Are there any players out there that Lou can go after(and that we have the pieces to trade with) to shore up our "offense" which isn't exactly lighting it up right now?

Old
01-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Also whoever is the GDT Maker

3 Early GDT = Wins
2 Normaly Time GDTs = Loses

Its simple . Early GDT = WIn

Old
01-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Do we have to bar you from the building or did you actually see a couple of good ones last year too? Good god, that is an 'impressive' list lol.
I saw a couple good ones. I was up for Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I saw the SO win over the Blue Jackets, Moose's shutout at the Coliseum, SO win over the Caps when we blew the 3-0 lead, the Buffalo game, and Kovy's PS shot against the Pens. Then the TB game, and every game in the first round.

I think that's still a winning record. I also attended all but one home game at Prudential Center from opening night to the 10/11 season before I moved. The one game I missed was some game between Christmas, and New Year's of 07. I was actually down here on vacation. The doesn't include pre season games, but it does include playoff games!

Old
01-30-2013, 07:50 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
I saw a couple good ones. I was up for Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I saw the SO win over the Blue Jackets, Moose's shutout at the Coliseum, SO win over the Caps when we blew the 3-0 lead, the Buffalo game, and Kovy's PS shot against the Pens. Then the TB game, and every game in the first round.

I think that's still a winning record. I also attended all but one home game at Prudential Center from opening night to the 10/11 season before I moved. The one game I missed was some game between Christmas, and New Year's of 07. I was actually down here on vacation. The doesn't include pre season games, but it does include playoff games!

You should get better fast so you can attend more games.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
You should get better fast so you can attend more games.
I only plan on going to the one in Tampa Bay, and taking the 4 hour drive to Sunrise for the one against the Panthers in their building. I would have come up for 5 days around Christmas, but the damn lockout changed that. I went to Denver to visit my buddy for Christmas. I don't think I'll be making any trips to Jersey until the Summer, or possibly when next season starts.

Thanks for remembering I was sick too Glen very thoughtful of you! I'm taking it like a baby. I've eaten stuff with sour cream that sat out over 24 hours numerous times and my stomach is a rock. Whatever I got now though I'm not taking it well! Not sure what it is. Hopefully just a 24 hour thing.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:03 PM
NJD Kula
yay hockey

Shouldn't Cam get at least some of the credit for Salvador's +/-?

Old
01-30-2013, 08:23 PM
apice3*

55 points is the cutoff after game 48, IMO. Our season is 10% over and were 15% towards that low end goal. Keep the goal % above the season % and were in good shape.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:02 PM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

I love Cam everyone knows that I always supported him and while he is not the problem, he does not fit on the roster at this point and that is all it comes down to. I hope he is not claimed because he is one guy that I know will not throw a hissy fit like Boulton did.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:17 PM
apice3*

No one is going to claim him

Old
01-30-2013, 09:19 PM
kiwidevil

Quote:
Lou sending down Janssen tells me this might be him starting to make an assessment on the team. I like it.

Closed Thread