HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part V)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2013, 07:20 PM
  #176
onefatsurfer
I speak in code
 
onefatsurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,211
vCash: 500
camjan is the man.

onefatsurfer is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 07:20 PM
  #177
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Yeah, it's not just Cam being bad, it's the fact that his being bad causes more wear and tear on the rest of the lineup because you don't play him many minutes and have to hide him from everyone else other than enforcers. Tampa Bay couldn't wait to get St. Louis and company out against him last year when he stayed on too long and boom, a goal against.
Haha I was at that game up for the weekend! Larsson was terrible in that game. I think it was his first game back since the Subban hit.

I was also at a game against the Panthers in Florida. The one we won in the shootout. Janssen's line got pinned in the zone for like a minute, and Larsson I remember was on the ice too. It cause a goal against. Or the countless icings Cam's lines would take.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 07:23 PM
  #178
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Haha I was at that game up for the weekend! Larsson was terrible in that game. I think it was his first game back since the Subban hit.
You were up for the game when the guy hit the score-o shot from Center Ice? That was about the only noteworthy thing about that game (of course I was in the concourse at the time but did happen to look at the TV and instinctively cheered when he put it in cause I thought nobody would ever get a puck in that little hole lol), plus I think it was Zidlicky's debut too. Otherwise that was a Al-Trautwig BRUTAL game

NJDevs26 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 07:24 PM
  #179
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988
 
Classic Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 33,437
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
I thought I posted this earlier, but something happened and I cant remember what it was.

We are going into panic mode after picking up 8 out of a possible 10 points. Im not sure if its just me, but thats seems pretty good.

Not talking about everyone, just the board as a whole
Yeah, this is something I can't quite understand. We're all freaking out because the team isn't perfect. Well, no kidding. We lost arguably our best player and a solid depth guy out of the lineup, and our RotY candidate is out with an injury. The fact that we've done as well as we have so far is nothing short of remarkable.

Lou needs to do some of his magic and fix us. That's sort of a given, given the gaping holes in the squad where Parise and Ponikarovsky used to be.

Classic Devil is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 07:26 PM
  #180
onefatsurfer
I speak in code
 
onefatsurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,211
vCash: 500
except that janssen also prevents a lot of wear and tear by going out against other teams' enforcers and preventing someone like John Scott from breaking Elias' back

onefatsurfer is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 07:28 PM
  #181
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Aside from tiebreakers, 3-0-2 is the same as being 4-1-0, when looked at in its simplest form. That's pretty good.

apice3* is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 07:28 PM
  #182
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
You were up for the game when the guy hit the score-o shot from Center Ice? That was about the only noteworthy thing about that game (of course I was in the concourse at the time but did happen to look at the TV and instinctively cheered when he put it in cause I thought nobody would ever get a puck in that little hole lol), plus I think it was Zidlicky's debut too. Otherwise that was a Al-Trautwig BRUTAL game
Haha yup it was Zidlicky's first game. And yeah I remember the score-o thing. It was after the 2nd intermission, and I joked about how this guy has, and probably will score more goals than the Devils today! I think we scored 3 and so did he. Nothing beats game 3 of the Florida series as far as clunkers go for me last year. That Lightning game was pretty brutal. Even worse than the Isles game with Grabner's breakaway fest, and the fans booing Kovy after the happy thanksgiving message!

Bleedred is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 07:28 PM
  #183
Getzo5
The Punisher
 
Getzo5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Presov, SVK
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 21,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Personally I think Clarkson is an overrated fighter. Glad he drops the gloves, but aside from Konopka and Simmonds, his fighting career is just beating up a bunch of losers.

Plus Clarkson has emerged as a good offensive talent. Fighting idiots is good for chemistry but we're going to be sending the better player to the box more often than not.
Glad I didn`t forget what I posted.

Quote:
And you`re right, but still, let`s not pretend like those hits happen all the time. He can take care of himself against the likes of Hendricks.

Also, love Clarkie, but I don`t think he should be penciled in our top6.

Getzo5 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 07:30 PM
  #184
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,914
vCash: 500
There's a difference between 'freaking out/panicking' and run of the mill message board back-and-forth. By the standard of panicking some of you have, the board is panicking every single day (and some people will say that's true too ).

NJDevs26 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 07:30 PM
  #185
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro
 
Officer Rod Farva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Aside from tiebreakers, 3-0-2 is the same as being 4-1-0, when looked at in its simplest form. That's pretty good.
ehhh it's not 5-0



Officer Rod Farva is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 07:32 PM
  #186
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Haha yup it was Zidlicky's first game. And yeah I remember the score-o thing. It was after the 2nd intermission, and I joked about how this guy has, and probably will score more goals than the Devils today! I think we scored 3 and so did he. Nothing beats game 3 of the Florida series as far as clunkers go for me last year. That Lightning game was pretty brutal. Even worse than the Isles game with Grabner's breakaway fest, and the fans booing Kovy after the happy thanksgiving message!
Do we have to bar you from the building or did you actually see a couple of good ones last year too? Good god, that is an 'impressive' list lol.

NJDevs26 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 07:34 PM
  #187
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering
 
manilaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
There's a difference between 'freaking out/panicking' and run of the mill message board back-and-forth. By the standard of panicking some of you have, the board is panicking every single day (and some people will say that's true too ).
I wouldn't call it panic. I'd take it down to widespread overreactions

Full blown panic is when I joined this board... I walked into a forum of people worrying that we'd get swept by the Islanders that one week and get knocked out of the playoffs from a comfortable 6th seed position.

manilaNJ is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 07:35 PM
  #188
Jack Griffin
Registered User
 
Jack Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 826
vCash: 500
I don't understand the argument that having Janssen in the lineup would prevent another goon from taking a run at one of our players. Their punishment for taking a run at someone would be to do something that they already do? That would be like making me eat cake after I did something illegal, I would gladly eat cake anyway so why would that deter me from doing anything.

Jack Griffin is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 07:38 PM
  #189
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 21,726
vCash: 118
I know 5 games is a terribly small sample size, but I'm just thinking out loud here.

Last year, at 48 games, 8th place in the East (NJ) was 55 points. 9th place TOR also had 55. So lets say to get in outright, the cutoff would be 56 points.

60 points should get you comfortably in (5th-6th place), so that'll be our goal.

8 points in the bank, we need 52 points in our remaining 43 games. 22-13-8 is enough to get that done, and I think that's a record we're perfectly capable of. As long as Marty continues to play well and allow so few goals, we should be able to get at least a point in the majority of our games.

I expect a lot of 3 point games this season, which bodes well for us since we're traditionally one of the best shootout teams ever. This is where losing Zach will hurt us the most IMO, but Marty, Kovy, and Patty all have stellar shootout credentials.

AfroThunder396 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 07:40 PM
  #190
Getzo5
The Punisher
 
Getzo5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Presov, SVK
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 21,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Richey View Post
I don't understand the argument that having Janssen in the lineup would prevent another goon from taking a run at one of our players. Their punishment for taking a run at someone would be to do something that they already do? That would be like making me eat cake after I did something illegal, I would gladly eat cake anyway so why would that deter me from doing anything.
This is a good point. Unless you have someone who can absolutely knock them the **** out and they fear him (McIntyre? nah, such player doesn`t exist), it`s not worth it. I would consider that a weak argument for keeping goons in the lineup.

Getzo5 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 07:42 PM
  #191
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!
 
glenwo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Country: United States
Posts: 21,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Yeah, this is something I can't quite understand. We're all freaking out because the team isn't perfect. Well, no kidding. We lost arguably our best player and a solid depth guy out of the lineup, and our RotY candidate is out with an injury. The fact that we've done as well as we have so far is nothing short of remarkable.

Lou needs to do some of his magic and fix us. That's sort of a given, given the gaping holes in the squad where Parise and Ponikarovsky used to be.
Question is : Are there any players out there that Lou can go after(and that we have the pieces to trade with) to shore up our "offense" which isn't exactly lighting it up right now?

glenwo2 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 07:44 PM
  #192
Devils Trap
Cory's Better
 
Devils Trap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country:
Posts: 23,560
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Also whoever is the GDT Maker

3 Early GDT = Wins
2 Normaly Time GDTs = Loses

Its simple . Early GDT = WIn

Devils Trap is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 07:44 PM
  #193
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Do we have to bar you from the building or did you actually see a couple of good ones last year too? Good god, that is an 'impressive' list lol.
I saw a couple good ones. I was up for Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I saw the SO win over the Blue Jackets, Moose's shutout at the Coliseum, SO win over the Caps when we blew the 3-0 lead, the Buffalo game, and Kovy's PS shot against the Pens. Then the TB game, and every game in the first round.

I think that's still a winning record. I also attended all but one home game at Prudential Center from opening night to the 10/11 season before I moved. The one game I missed was some game between Christmas, and New Year's of 07. I was actually down here on vacation. The doesn't include pre season games, but it does include playoff games!

Bleedred is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 07:50 PM
  #194
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!
 
glenwo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Country: United States
Posts: 21,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I saw a couple good ones. I was up for Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I saw the SO win over the Blue Jackets, Moose's shutout at the Coliseum, SO win over the Caps when we blew the 3-0 lead, the Buffalo game, and Kovy's PS shot against the Pens. Then the TB game, and every game in the first round.

I think that's still a winning record. I also attended all but one home game at Prudential Center from opening night to the 10/11 season before I moved. The one game I missed was some game between Christmas, and New Year's of 07. I was actually down here on vacation. The doesn't include pre season games, but it does include playoff games!

You should get better fast so you can attend more games.

glenwo2 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 07:57 PM
  #195
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
You should get better fast so you can attend more games.
I only plan on going to the one in Tampa Bay, and taking the 4 hour drive to Sunrise for the one against the Panthers in their building. I would have come up for 5 days around Christmas, but the damn lockout changed that. I went to Denver to visit my buddy for Christmas. I don't think I'll be making any trips to Jersey until the Summer, or possibly when next season starts.

Thanks for remembering I was sick too Glen very thoughtful of you! I'm taking it like a baby. I've eaten stuff with sour cream that sat out over 24 hours numerous times and my stomach is a rock. Whatever I got now though I'm not taking it well! Not sure what it is. Hopefully just a 24 hour thing.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 08:03 PM
  #196
NJD Kula
yay hockey
 
NJD Kula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Po'
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,896
vCash: 500
Shouldn't Cam get at least some of the credit for Salvador's +/-?

NJD Kula is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 08:23 PM
  #197
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
55 points is the cutoff after game 48, IMO. Our season is 10% over and were 15% towards that low end goal. Keep the goal % above the season % and were in good shape.

apice3* is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:02 PM
  #198
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays
 
njdevilsjds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,641
vCash: 500
I love Cam everyone knows that I always supported him and while he is not the problem, he does not fit on the roster at this point and that is all it comes down to. I hope he is not claimed because he is one guy that I know will not throw a hissy fit like Boulton did.

njdevilsjds is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:17 PM
  #199
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
No one is going to claim him

apice3* is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:19 PM
  #200
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Lou sending down Janssen tells me this might be him starting to make an assessment on the team. I like it.

kiwidevil is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.