HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ryan Callahan (2/5: Wearing full contact jersey in practice)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2013, 07:22 PM
  #451
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!
 
MrAlmost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: R.I.P.
Country: United States
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Shoulder subluxation. Partial shoulder dislocation. Mine was accompanied with both SLAP and bankart lesions. If either one is the case with Callahan, he's going to eventually need an arthroscopic procedure to stitch up the glenoid capsule, and anchor it back against the bone if it is separated from the bone. Hopefully it's not necessary, he can play through the rest of the season with relatively no discomfort, and get it cleaned up in the off-season. Recovery from surgery is generally 3-6 months depending on severity and style of PT.
How is any of this actually good news? Sounds like its shoulder surgery later as opposed to now.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:35 PM
  #452
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
How is any of this actually good news? Sounds like its shoulder surgery later as opposed to now.
Because his body is capable of playing hockey sooner.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:48 PM
  #453
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
How is any of this actually good news? Sounds like its shoulder surgery later as opposed to now.
lets wait until the nyr medical staff give full prognosis

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:52 PM
  #454
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 30,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
How is any of this actually good news? Sounds like its shoulder surgery later as opposed to now.

He can have the surgery in the offseason. Have the surgery June/July and we could see him back by December.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:06 PM
  #455
3rd Guy High
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Shoulder subluxation. Partial shoulder dislocation. Mine was accompanied with both SLAP and bankart lesions. If either one is the case with Callahan, he's going to eventually need an arthroscopic procedure to stitch up the glenoid capsule, and anchor it back against the bone if it is separated from the bone. Hopefully it's not necessary, he can play through the rest of the season with relatively no discomfort, and get it cleaned up in the off-season. Recovery from surgery is generally 3-6 months depending on severity and style of PT.
Thank you. I've been saying this since page 4 or 5. This is not as black and white as it seems.

Even though he'll be playing in 10-14 days hes going to be prone to reinjury and probably will feel no where close to 100%. He'll most likely get surgery in the offseason (if he makes it that far) because thats the only way the labrum will heal correctly and decrease the chances of a reinjury.

3rd Guy High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:15 PM
  #456
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 22,084
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Whaaat? It wasnt the end of the world as many thought on here last night? Cally won't miss 3 months? This is startling information. Guess we shouldn't blow up the team now

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:45 PM
  #457
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Where are all the amateur doctors saying he was done? Or the guy that said this was career-threatening?

And all of you that were ready to throw in the towel--do us all a favor and don't come back.
Listen to this man.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:47 PM
  #458
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!
 
MrAlmost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: R.I.P.
Country: United States
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
But how can we expect him to perform? The ligaments will be stretched and weak which could cause further injury if pushed too hard just the right way, if I understand what I'm reading correctly. We are talking about a very physical player who throws and recieves a lot of checks. I guess I'm just worried he will be less effective knowing his shoulder is in a weak state, which of course, could be off base as it is Callahan, who plays with complete reckless abandon for his safety.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:00 PM
  #459
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,438
vCash: 500
There are different levels of severity with this...he may not have injured it badly enough to require surgery. Or maybe he did, but we can't really speak with authority on it since we're not doctors looking at his MRI

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:00 PM
  #460
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,656
vCash: 50
It's amazing how this went from "career ending" to a two week band aid.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:11 PM
  #461
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
But how can we expect him to perform? The ligaments will be stretched and weak which could cause further injury if pushed too hard just the right way, if I understand what I'm reading correctly. We are talking about a very physical player who throws and recieves a lot of checks. I guess I'm just worried he will be less effective knowing his shoulder is in a weak state, which of course, could be off base as it is Callahan, who plays with complete reckless abandon for his safety.
Depends on if the labrum was torn and how severely. If the MRI reveals no tear or minimal tear, then its a matter of the pain from the initial trauma subsiding and doing some PT to strengten the micro-muscles surrounding the joint. If there is a significant tear, then the chances of re-dislocation is extremely high, not to mention that you're going to have limited range of motion and strength until its repaired via surgery and a full dose of PT. Folks who don't eventually get surgery either don't have a tear or have a tear but don't intend on playing contact sports or lifting weights regularly. The labrum is made of cartilage. It can't repair itself. So lets hope he didn't damage it.

I'm by no means a doctor. I just happened to tear my labrum in September and ask my orthopedist and PT's questions non-stop because I'm interested and because I want to avoid going through this whole ordeal again.


Last edited by Crease: 01-30-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:15 PM
  #462
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,678
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
How is any of this actually good news? Sounds like its shoulder surgery later as opposed to now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
But how can we expect him to perform? The ligaments will be stretched and weak which could cause further injury if pushed too hard just the right way, if I understand what I'm reading correctly. We are talking about a very physical player who throws and recieves a lot of checks. I guess I'm just worried he will be less effective knowing his shoulder is in a weak state, which of course, could be off base as it is Callahan, who plays with complete reckless abandon for his safety.
Yeah I'm with you there on being uncertain of what shape he'll be in to play. Gaborik had his injury late in the season / held off surgery, and he went from our top scorer to completely ineffective in the playoffs and we all found out why later. So I'm hoping it won't be the same with Callahan

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:47 PM
  #463
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15
 
EuroFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: west coast
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,997
vCash: 50
Thanks god he can play through it, even if it means surgery in the off season. We can't afford losing Callahan atm.

EuroFlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:08 PM
  #464
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
It's amazing how this went from "career ending" to a two week band aid.
That's what happens when you have uninformed people making idiotic comments that have no facts backing them. Half these people probably don't even know what a tendon is, and are diagnosing an injury based on 5 seconds of video footage.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:20 PM
  #465
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,811
vCash: 500
pretty much a best case scenarion.

*whew*

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:20 PM
  #466
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,298
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
That's what happens when you have uninformed people making idiotic comments that have no facts backing them. Half these people probably don't even know what a tendon is, and are diagnosing an injury based on 5 seconds of video footage.
Speak for yourself man, my source (the real life thumbelina i had hiding in ryan's left hand jersey sleeve) assured me that the anterior cruciate ligament, located in his elbow, had broken.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:44 PM
  #467
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!
 
MrAlmost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: R.I.P.
Country: United States
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Depends on if the labrum was torn and how severely. If the MRI reveals no tear or minimal tear, then its a matter of the pain from the initial trauma subsiding and doing some PT to strengten the micro-muscles surrounding the joint. If there is a significant tear, then the chances of re-dislocation is extremely high, not to mention that you're going to have limited range of motion and strength until its repaired via surgery and a full dose of PT. Folks who don't eventually get surgery either don't have a tear or have a tear but don't intend on playing contact sports or lifting weights regularly. The labrum is made of cartilage. It can't repair itself. So lets hope he didn't damage it.

I'm by no means a doctor. I just happened to tear my labrum in September and ask my orthopedist and PT's questions non-stop because I'm interested and because I want to avoid going through this whole ordeal again.
Thank you. This is good info. I guess all we can do is hope its minor, for his sake and the teams.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:47 PM
  #468
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Now we can go back to dooming our season on Bickel.
Why don't we all just play Super Mario Kart instead?

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:37 AM
  #469
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,708
vCash: 500
And here I thought the season was over and Cally done. I was just about to cancel my GCL subscription...

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:29 AM
  #470
Cresto
Much Disappoint
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Why don't we all just play Super Mario Kart instead?
how about Super Mario Party? The game that ruins friendships.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:32 AM
  #471
Cresto
Much Disappoint
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
And here I thought the season was over and Cally done. I was just about to cancel my GCL subscription...
Injured Callahan = season over? You really like Cally
Who was it that undervalues Cally? Talk to him

- Callahan last year we would be in trouble.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:52 AM
  #472
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,438
vCash: 500
Like I said before, I did something very similar except I'm dumb and didn't go to the doctor. Since then I've lifted weights and played sports (done a lot of laying out and landing on that shoulder) with no problems.

I might have some slight limited range of motion for certain movements and maybe it is a bit more prone to happening again, but so far so good

That's all to say, if it really is nothing major like they said, then he could be just fine long term too. Hopefully he doesn't get into any more fights though

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:08 AM
  #473
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,584
vCash: 500
I know how important Callahan is to the team, but if he truly is the "heart & soul" of the team, then we might have issues going forward. The guy plays a game that's far too big for his body. He lacks both the size and frame to sustain a long career with that playing style.

Another factor is losing him and what he brings at crucial times during the season. Hopefully this is offset by the workload being carried by the supporting cast. Personally, I think Iginla would be the perfect addition to this club. He would truly make us a contender for these next 2-3 years.

If Calgary is still in it next month we should pursue him on a short term deal in the off-season.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:14 AM
  #474
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
Injured Callahan = season over? You really like Cally
Who was it that undervalues Cally? Talk to him

- Callahan last year we would be in trouble.
That was not me who said that, but someone in the GDT really had that opinion. Obviously my post was sarcasm, but sadly there were quite a few posters here who were very close to the ledge. And as it seems that none of them has posted since the diagnosis, maybe they jumped...

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:41 AM
  #475
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,769
vCash: 500
Awards:
I really think that Lundqvist is the only "essential" player, the only one who if seriously injured would have a truly devastating effect on the team. It would suck if McDonagh or Gaborik went down for an extended period, but we still have enough talent at those positions to still be average offensively and defensively. If we had to start Biron and Talbot the rest of the year, we'd be in real trouble.

It would definitely hurt had we lost Callahan long term, but it wouldn't be the death knell that some seem to think. IMO anyway.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.