HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Every Time Danny Cleary

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 02:43 PM
BinCookin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddy View Post
Um, he shouldnt be playing another sport where he could injure himself. There is a reason NHL players cant ski during the season, and playing platform tennis, is just as dangerous when your pivoting and shuffling 90% of the time. Cleary, bad knee and all, should not be playing another sport where an injury to his knee could happen. Not that hard to understand.
If you want to dislike Cleary that is fine.

But in the offseason datsyuk plays both soccer and tennis to stay in shape and keep up his tempo.
Both of which could result in many injuries.

People get injured all the time. I would say, if he is playing sports 3 hours a day on a Saturday, then he is basically "at the gym". If he was lifting weights, he could equally hurt himself.

So dislike him if you like, he looks like he works hard out there.
Could Nyquist and Tatar do better? That is a question for the Detroit brass and us fans.

But lets leave their personal spare time out of it. Because barring hardcore drugs, sleeping with Mrs. Illitch or other player's wives, they can do whatever they like as long as they show up for the game ready to play hard.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:47 PM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

If I am not mistaken... Carey Price does Rodeos in the off-season as well..

If this is Clearys way to stay in shape/active whatever whatever who cares...

Sure he hasnt been the same since his injury, most players aren't, but he still does give it his all game in game out... could he be better? sure... but you can say the same for nearly everyone on the roster.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:49 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Cleary saves his injuries for the first two weeks of the season and is never healthy for the remainder of the season. I don't worry about what he does in the offseason.

Unfortunately, healthy Cleary looks like severely injured Cleary at this point.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:33 PM
HockeytownOverhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Cleary would find work for another team. Guys like Arnott and Halpern keep finding work. Hell, Knuble, too.

But the difference is the Wings have NHL ready young players knocking at the door. Clearly is a nice stopgap if you're completely out of options, but that's just not the case this season or moving forward.
Those guys didn't have degenerative health issues that Cleary has. He just made a comment after the Chicago game to the effect of "Obviously my knee is still bothering me a little bit but I barely think about it on the ice"

That says it all. And he may be a Holmer type as far as character but Homer was playing 4th line when his knees were jacked. Cleary is still getting good minutes, that's my problem. Give someone else an opportunity to advance, Cleary's topped off and on the way down. Slot him right. If he resigns it should be 1.5 for the 4th line, not 4m for 3/2 line

Old
01-29-2013, 06:21 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeytownOverhaul View Post
Cleary is still getting good minutes, that's my problem. Give someone else an opportunity to advance, Cleary's topped off and on the way down. Slot him right.
I have to agree with this. It looks like Cleary is not yet at the level he once was after that surgery. If the knee needs more rehab, he should have a reduced role and use somebody like Miller more.

At least this is not Ken Holland's fault, it's Mike Babcock who is responsible of the ice-usage of our guys.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Those guys didn't have degenerative health issues that Cleary has. He just made a comment after the Chicago game to the effect of "Obviously my knee is still bothering me a little bit but I barely think about it on the ice"

That says it all. And he may be a Holmer type as far as character but Homer was playing 4th line when his knees were jacked. Cleary is still getting good minutes, that's my problem. Give someone else an opportunity to advance, Cleary's topped off and on the way down. Slot him right. If he resigns it should be 1.5 for the 4th line, not 4m for 3/2 line
If the Wings re-sign Cleary and guarantee him a spot on the roster next year. I may have to strongly consider rooting for a new team.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

For my opinion on Dan Cleary please see avatar.

<-----------

Old
01-29-2013, 06:41 PM
THW

If he admits he is not 100%...why is he starting?

Old
01-29-2013, 07:37 PM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THW View Post
If he admits he is not 100%...why is he starting?
Ask Filp that as well..
He's playing on a bum knee right now.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:20 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:

To me it is still an issue resigning Cleary to play on the 4th line.

Why not get a guy who is hungrier, younger, more healthy, and faster for 800k than Cleary for 1.5?

This is the sort of thinking that's hurting the team quite badly right now.

Cleary needs to BE GONE.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:31 PM
LeftBackLegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
To me it is still an issue resigning Cleary to play on the 4th line.

Why not get a guy who is hungrier, younger, more healthy, and faster for 800k than Cleary for 1.5?

This is the sort of thinking that's hurting the team quite badly right now.

Cleary needs to BE GONE.
Agreed. Painfully obvious that he's nothing but a liability now.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:05 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
I have to agree with this. It looks like Cleary is not yet at the level he once was after that surgery. If the knee needs more rehab, he should have a reduced role and use somebody like Miller more.

At least this is not Ken Holland's fault, it's Mike Babcock who is responsible of the ice-usage of our guys.
Cleary must have naked pics of both Holland and Babcock. Last year he was allowed to play despite the fact everyone knew he needed knee surgery. He has the surgery and is clearly not up to speed and he continues to play. While I appreciate his willingness to play through the pain we have roughly 16 forwards on the roster so it's probably a good idea to rest him up so he'll be as close to healthy as possible if/when we make the playoffs.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:09 AM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
I didn't think he was all that bad today

Old
01-30-2013, 02:18 AM
Detroit Swed Wings
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
I didn't think he was all that bad today
I was about to post the opposite.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:48 AM
Henkka

I don't understand that power-play with Cleary there. He is kind of the 3rd option for net-front screening, but since we have Mule at 1st unit and Tuzzi at 2nd, Cleary should be sitting with those scoreless efforts.

To be honest, I'm ok with Cleary there in front of the net, if either Mule or Tuzzi are out of the lineup. But only then. Both are there now, so what a heck is Cleary doing on the PP?

He is THE only player on the power-play without scored points at this season. And he has been there almost 21 minutes. It took 58 seconds for Patrick Eaves to score his first PP point.

I would swap him to Eaves immediately, because Eaves brings a better shooter and adds a right handness there to make a better 2nd unit.

Like this:

Brunner(R) - Franzen(screening) - Datsyuk(L)
Zetterberg(L) - Kronwall(L)

Eaves(R) - Bertuzzi(screening) - Filppula(L)
Kindl(L) - Smith(L)

Also it would be intriquing to use Z on the point. His shot from yesterday was Lidström-caliber effort, no doubt about it. But Brunner down-low and let Pavel be the main playmaker, Z to point. Then we got more quality shots than now with Kronwall as the main QB guy there. If Z would take half of those point shots, I think we could get better results.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:00 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Surely this has got to be his last season in Detroit, no?

Can't possibly re-sign him after his play the past two seasons

Old
01-30-2013, 07:06 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Surely this has got to be his last season in Detroit, no?

Can't possibly re-sign him after his play the past two seasons
I hope he will be traded before the season end so we can fit our other forwards in. We already have too many.

Wouldn't mind having some low pick for him from some team that needs forward depth at the deadline. At some point all our 15 forwards are healthy, and then someone needs to go.

Cleary's salary figure for this season is 3.0 million, but the shortened season gives him 1.65 in real money. If we trade him at the deadline, the remaining season salary on that time should be under 500k. I think some playoff team in a need of forward depth could be interested in him with that cost.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:05 AM
BeerLeagueAllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Swed Wings View Post
Yeah, that one shift where he had 3 chances to clear the puck and was stuck on the ice for 2 minutes...

Old
01-30-2013, 02:30 PM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinCookin View Post
If you want to dislike Cleary that is fine.

But in the offseason datsyuk plays both soccer and tennis to stay in shape and keep up his tempo.
Both of which could result in many injuries.

People get injured all the time. I would say, if he is playing sports 3 hours a day on a Saturday, then he is basically "at the gym". If he was lifting weights, he could equally hurt himself.

So dislike him if you like, he looks like he works hard out there.
Could Nyquist and Tatar do better? That is a question for the Detroit brass and us fans.

But lets leave their personal spare time out of it. Because barring hardcore drugs, sleeping with Mrs. Illitch or other player's wives, they can do whatever they like as long as they show up for the game ready to play hard.
Keyword here: OFFSEASON

No more to read past that and no more to critique

Old
01-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Rael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Swed Wings View Post
Me too. I thought he was absolutely horrible yesterday, by far the worst forward. Usually I think this "title" belongs to Emmerton but actually he and his line played very well.
The videos posted in this thread just remind me of how useful of a player he once was. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a similar play of him in years.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:38 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Cleary's stat line thru 6 games.

6 gp 0g 0a 0pts -2

Why's he in our lineup again? If he's on our 3rd line with either Helm/Abby as the center that line's never going to give you anything offensively.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
Cleary's stat line thru 6 games.

6 gp 0g 0a 0pts -2

Why's he in our lineup again? If he's on our 3rd line with either Helm/Abby as the center that line's never going to give you anything offensively.
The only bottom 6 player who has a point in Patrick Eaves.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
It's true that nobody on the bottom 6 is lighting up the scoreboard, but Cleary has been absolutely terrible all season and is averaging more IT than any other bottom 6er. That makes no sense at all. And when he's not turning the puck over, he's 4th on the team in PIM's. The guy is a liability on both ends of the ice, so I'm thinking that's where the concern is with his play.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:24 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

It would be absolutely hilarious and i would not be shocked if Holland gave Cleary a two year contract extension.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:27 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Yeah and Cleary's certainly not helping, he's actually 6th in icetime for forwards so far this year.

Closed Thread