HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Prospect Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 07:19 PM
14s incisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
He is behind Andersson, Connauton, Sauve, Corrado imo. He''ll get his chance in AHL but NHL... might never happen on the Canucks.
Just because you have him behind those players doesn't mean he won't get his shot on the Wolves, and eventually with the Canucks.

I give him a better shot at making the NHL than Connauton and Sauve.

He's more suited to play on the bottom pairing than Connauton, who will only make it as a top4 guy, if he ever does. And he probably won't.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:28 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post
Just because you have him behind those players doesn't mean he won't get his shot on the Wolves, and eventually with the Canucks.

I give him a better shot at making the NHL than Connauton and Sauve.

He's more suited to play on the bottom pairing than Connauton, who will only make it as a top4 guy, if he ever does. And he probably won't.
based on what i seen from him on for the wolves. I say so. Connauton for sure ahead of him. Suave has been crap this season though but i still have him with better potential. either way all these guys are 6-7 at best when it comes to NHL and have small margin to make the Canucks any time soon.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:28 PM
timw33

Bellville is up 8-1

Gaunce has no points somehow.

Quine has 1G 5A

Old
01-30-2013, 07:29 PM
BerSTUzzi

somehow the top line for Belleville with only 1 pt in a 8-1 game.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Connaution for Graovac??

Oh wait they have 0 points tonight?? Nvm scratch that. lol

Old
01-30-2013, 08:09 PM
RobertKron

A thing I don't get about the people ranting about the Canucks missing on Gallagher:

Are you folks under the impression that the WHL is some kind of obscure, under-scouted league?

I don't really get it. It's not like this is some kid that was playing under a rock, but the Canucks should have known about due to local knowledge. He was playing in one of the most heavily-scouted leagues in the world, for a major market team. He had also played with a top-10 pick the previous season.

He ended up going in the 5th for a reason, and that reason wasn't that nobody else happened to notice him.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:28 PM
jigsaw99

^ so not bad scouting just bad drafting than?

Old
01-30-2013, 08:34 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
A thing I don't get about the people ranting about the Canucks missing on Gallagher:

Are you folks under the impression that the WHL is some kind of obscure, under-scouted league?

I don't really get it. It's not like this is some kid that was playing under a rock, but the Canucks should have known about due to local knowledge. He was playing in one of the most heavily-scouted leagues in the world, for a major market team. He had also played with a top-10 pick the previous season.

He ended up going in the 5th for a reason, and that reason wasn't that nobody else happened to notice him.
Is it unreasonable to hope that the league that is effectively your backyard would be better scouted by the Canucks due to proximity, cheaper travel costs, connections and relationships fostered over the years with coaches and amateur scouts? Is that too much to ask?

Cue BES's diatribe.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:38 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Is it unreasonable to hope that the league that is effectively your backyard would be better scouted by the Canucks due to proximity, cheaper travel costs, connections and relationships fostered over the years with coaches and amateur scouts? Is that too much to ask?

Cue BES's diatribe.
There is no such thing as better scouting the WHL. It's scouted to death, every team knows everything there is to know. The difference is in what those teams think of the players and how they project them. 29 other teams passed on this player 4+ times. Clearly they all felt like there was something missing. Perhaps they were wrong but at the same time, watching him right now and I don't know how well Gallagher would be doing in the West.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

The Lucic wishcasting is pretty much the funniest thing ever. I don't know how many times I've heard Canuck fans and especially media whine they didn't draft Lucic.

When the Bruins drafted him in the late second it was considered a reach pick by almost everyone. He was a projected late round pick that year. The Bruins gambled and won big time. Sometimes that happens.

If the Canucks had taken him with a first there would have been a meltdown of epic proportions on this board and throughout the province.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:44 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post
The Lucic wishcasting is pretty much the funniest thing ever. I don't know how many times I've heard Canuck fans and especially media whine they didn't draft Lucic.

When the Bruins drafted him in the late second it was considered a reach pick by almost everyone. He was a projected late round pick that year. The Bruins gambled and won big time. Sometimes that happens.

If the Canucks had taken him with a first there would have been a meltdown of epic proportions on this board and throughout the province.
Yep, he had 19 points in 62 games playing a bottom 6 role on the Giants. It wasn't until the following year that he broke out in the WHL in a big way.

I can't even begin to imagine the hate towards management if we had drafted a 19 point grinder in the 2nd round. As is, people struggle to understand why we took Alex Mallet in the 2nd round, a guy who is likely going to be in a grinder role.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:54 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
By those standards. Almost every single pick after the 1st round is poor due to "bad drafting". Do you really believe the 31st best player goes 31st overall?

Old
01-30-2013, 08:56 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Yep, he had 19 points in 62 games playing a bottom 6 role on the Giants. It wasn't until the following year that he broke out in the WHL in a big way.

I can't even begin to imagine the hate towards management if we had drafted a 19 point grinder in the 2nd round. As is, people struggle to understand why we took Alex Mallet in the 2nd round, a guy who is likely going to be in a grinder role.
It's pretty either "Can't even find guys in your own backyard" or "Playing favourites to local kids".

Old
01-30-2013, 09:01 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post

Cue BES's diatribe.
It's like the most heavily scouted league in the world. Do you think all the Canucks scouts live in Vancouver? Or that Mike Gillis is going to go do some scouting at Giants games in his downtime or something?

I could understand if you were talking about some diamond in the rough coming out of the KIJHL or something, but this is major junior hockey - the world's biggest feeder to the NHL. If the Canucks were able to get a leg up on other teams due to being located in Vancouver, then those other teams' management would be doing something horrifically wrong.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:05 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
No, it's just a kid that didn't necessarily look like much at the time who happened to pan out through his own hard work and good fortune. If even the Habs thought he was such a can't-miss, he wouldn't have been their second last pick of that draft.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
No, it's just a kid that didn't necessarily look like much at the time who happened to pan out through his own hard work and good fortune. If even the Habs thought he was such a can't-miss, he wouldn't have been their second last pick of that draft.
It's just another opportunity for certain people to complain, I wouldn't go so far as to assume they've actually thought any of it through.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:50 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post

I hate repeating myself because it's been beaten to death and this likely won't be the last time I type this.

Not many people have a huge issue with taking mallet like players in the 2nd round.

My biggest gripe is he was a 3rd time eligible draftee. For me that maybe means he has less room to grow as a player.

The part that aggravates is, why couldn't they see enough to take a flyer on him in either of the two drafts prior? Makes me feel our scouts are very poor at projecting players. Instead we're taking a kid (not just one our whole draft) that was passed on multiple times.

That's what annoys me.

Boston's scouts obviously saw a player who they could project so they took him high as a first year eligible.

That's the difference here. And no I'm not one of those guys that blames us for not drafting Lucic. He was a reach.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:18 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post

You sure? There wasn't much of an epic meltdown on the 2007 draft by the Canucks, which is one of the worst i've ever seen by any team.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:38 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I hate repeating myself because it's been beaten to death and this likely won't be the last time I type this.

Not many people have a huge issue with taking mallet like players in the 2nd round.

My biggest gripe is he was a 3rd time eligible draftee. For me that maybe means he has less room to grow as a player.

The part that aggravates is, why couldn't they see enough to take a flyer on him in either of the two drafts prior? Makes me feel our scouts are very poor at projecting players. Instead we're taking a kid (not just one our whole draft) that was passed on multiple times.

That's what annoys me.

Boston's scouts obviously saw a player who they could project so they took him high as a first year eligible.

That's the difference here. And no I'm not one of those guys that blames us for not drafting Lucic. He was a reach.
Lucic was also their second pick of the second round. They took Alexandrov at 37.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:22 AM
orcatown

In some of those years Canucks didn't have shot at players like Lucic (unless you were going to take him in the first round) because they had traded away second and third round picks

Old
01-31-2013, 05:58 AM
Slapshot_11

Haven't really been paying attention to this thread but how is Jensen doing?

Old
01-31-2013, 08:17 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post
Haven't really been paying attention to this thread but how is Jensen doing?
Has 15 goals. Just left his team (or will leave his team in the near future) for like 3 days to play some games for Denmark to try and help them qualify for the Olympics.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:33 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
In some of those years Canucks didn't have shot at players like Lucic (unless you were going to take him in the first round) because they had traded away second and third round picks

Yup, need more lotto tickets. Even in the Gillis era, this has been a theme.

Now that they're roster is better filled out with talent, I'm hoping they will be more reticent to deal depth picks for additions. Watch them deal a 2nd and 3rd for a 3rd line C at the deadline...

Old
01-31-2013, 08:41 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Yup, need more lotto tickets. Even in the Gillis era, this has been a theme.

Now that they're roster is better filled out with talent, I'm hoping they will be more reticent to deal depth picks for additions. Watch them deal a 2nd and 3rd for a 3rd line C at the deadline...
That would be the highest price Mike Gillis has ever paid for an impending UFA at the deadline, by a pretty good margin.

We paid a steep price for Bernier and Ballard, but the Canucks are now in a position of having "too much" depth (in a salary cap world) and will probably have to sacrifice some.

A bit of a double-whammy considering all the picks traded away in the last six or seven years has limited the upcoming organizational depth, but I doubt we see Gillis trading anything about a 3rd rounder unless it's in a blockbuster move.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:50 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
That would be the highest price Mike Gillis has ever paid for an impending UFA at the deadline, by a pretty good margin.

We paid a steep price for Bernier and Ballard, but the Canucks are now in a position of having "too much" depth (in a salary cap world) and will probably have to sacrifice some.

A bit of a double-whammy considering all the picks traded away in the last six or seven years has limited the upcoming organizational depth, but I doubt we see Gillis trading anything about a 3rd rounder unless it's in a blockbuster move.

Missing the in my post.

Good point about the double whammy. Dearth of picks coinciding with a time they have to pare down the roster. Not good. They'll still be good, but not as good if they had more talent coming up through the pipeline.

Closed Thread