HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v25: Terrence Ross named to Slam Dunk Competition

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 08:16 PM
mapes

vCash: 500
Honestly, it's been 2-3 years since I watched the Raps but I'm sad to see Jose go. One of my favorited and he loved this city, team and fans so much. I wish him well.

On the flip side, I really like Gay. I might even tune in a bit now but hasn't he had many injury concerns?

Old
01-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleafsfan View Post
everyone is bigging up ed davis like he's the next c-webb or something. He is a good offensive player with potential to be a solid 3rd option playing 25-30 minutes a night. His post D is crap... just look at how GSW abused us in the last game. This is clearly a "sell high" situation.

rudy gay allows this team to be more potent offensively, while being an improvement on D. The PG situation is finally settled and for the first time in his career Lowry finally has control of the position. Rudy may make 19 million, but we know no notable free agent was signing with a losing squad. BC has been able to get rid of contracts before (Hedo and Kapono) and I expect him to clear out any excess salary either this year or in the summer (Fields, Kleiza, maybe Bargnani). A core of Gay+Lowry+Val+DD is young and talented.

I think we should try working out a deal around DD and Milsap and then we're talking...

Lowry/Lucas
Ross/Anderson
Gay/Fields
Milsap/Bargnani
Val/Amir

Only position that would need to be upgraded over the next few years would be backup PG as long as these players meet their realistic expectations.
Milsap is probably asking for big money.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 01-30-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: quoting edited post
Old
01-30-2013, 08:23 PM
Kulemon

It's funny how if you would have told me last year the Raptors would have gotten Rudy Gay for Calderon and Davis, I probably would have went streaking in the street out of pure joy.

Funny how things change

Old
01-30-2013, 08:32 PM
BigZ65

Kinda funny. All those years after VC when the Raps had good PG play but crap on the wing, now they have wings but average PG play at best with Lowry and Lucas. Wouldn't be so bad if one of the wings was a ball-handler who could create and had range out to 3, but Gay and DeRozan are very similar. The offense will bog down with them on the floor together. I really don't get this trade other than Colangelo having been in pursuit of Gay for years already. Personally I think this trade just guaranteed that the Raptors will continue to suck (30-35% win %) at least through next season.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:34 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
So brining in A top 25 player is gonna make us suck?? Righttt

Old
01-30-2013, 08:39 PM
BigZ65

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
Top 25 least efficient players in the NBA maybe.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Winreims

^Yeah in no way does bringing in Rudy Gay make us a worse team. I'm excited for next season especially when we are able to start fresh.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Who knows. Maybe he's good enough so that we make the playoffs, only to bolt during the time when our first round pick is top-1 protected. OKC will be salivating at the thought of drafting a premier player.

Last edited by Eyedea: 01-30-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Idk why people are assuming this roster is set in stone for years to come. More moves will be made. Hopefully not by Colangelo though.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:45 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Trade barGs for god knows what, bring in a decent PG. Get Durant

Old
01-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Trade barGs for god knows what, bring in a decent PG. Get Durant
I don't think we could get Durant if we traded our whole team if that was somehow possible.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:47 PM
BigZ65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
^Yeah in no way does bringing in Rudy Gay make us a worse team. I'm excited for next season especially when we are able to start fresh.
Davis has been a more efficient offensive player this season than Gay. Gay doesn't improve defense, and he'll take shots away from DeRozan, essentially two of the same player. Plus you are handing the team to a PG who has been among the least efficient at the position. Neither has range to 3, add in Lowry's impatience and it won't be hard to play D against the Raps.

What moves can conceivably be made to add a legitimate starting PG or improve defensively after adding Gay's cap hit? The Raps flexibility now lies in getting anything of value for Bargnani, because they don't have cap space. Maybe Colangelo can swing a genius move and get Hedo back so he can distribute the "ball."

Old
01-30-2013, 08:48 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
I don't think we could get Durant if we traded our whole team if that was somehow possible.
We can toss in the CN tower

Old
01-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Kulemon

Colangelo bailed at halftime lololol

Old
01-30-2013, 09:10 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

i'm gonna miss calderon

Old
01-30-2013, 09:12 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 769
Calderon frustrated me at times, but I'm going to miss him. He was a great teammate and a very effective player at times. I wish him all the best for the rest of his career.

Really gonna miss Ed

Old
01-30-2013, 09:15 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Looking at this stats, the thing that is a little concerning about Gay is that he's basically been the same player since his 2nd year in the league. No statistical improvement. At all. 19ish points, 6ish rebounds, same shooting %s, 1.5 steals, just under 1 block, and 2-3 assists.

Very good second option, but there's nothing there that makes it seem like he can be the go-to scorer. And the fact that he's seemingly added nothing to his game makes his work ethic a question mark.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 35 GP, 13-17-5 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
01-30-2013, 09:15 PM
gordonshumway

How does Colangelo still have a job?!? Seriously, wth. I can understand trading Jose's expiring contract (though I would've liked to see him re-upped at smaller salary, not sure if he was up for that), but trading Davis right now is just a dumb move, not to mention Gay's big contract. Like someone above stated, Gay has shown no significant improvement stat-wise for a good few years, but is getting paid like an allstar.

Yahoo seems to agree, already calling this iffy trade for Raps:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...1538--nba.html

This trade smells of desperation, this is the kind of trade Leafs would make... but I guess Colangelo knows the knives will be out if he doesn't make a splash. Hate to say it, but I got a feeling the team will take a nosedive and that draft pick for OKC will start looking even better than it does now. I don't even want to think what happens if Lowry gets injured...

Old
01-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
Davis has been a more efficient offensive player this season than Gay. Gay doesn't improve defense, and he'll take shots away from DeRozan, essentially two of the same player. Plus you are handing the team to a PG who has been among the least efficient at the position. Neither has range to 3, add in Lowry's impatience and it won't be hard to play D against the Raps.

What moves can conceivably be made to add a legitimate starting PG or improve defensively after adding Gay's cap hit? The Raps flexibility now lies in getting anything of value for Bargnani, because they don't have cap space. Maybe Colangelo can swing a genius move and get Hedo back so he can distribute the "ball."
Ed Davis is being highly overrated right now by a lot of Raptors fans. I liked him, but can acknowledge that Rudy Gay will help this group moving forward.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

I mean I love and hate this trade.

I love it because I rate Gay as a top-5 SF in the game. At worst top-10. Yeah he's having a bad season, but he's not old so he should turn it around.

I rated Lowry a top-10 PG in the league before this, so with Gay gives us two positional players who are top-10 in their position.

I just hate, hate giving up Davis. The guy was finally tapping into potential and we have to give up.

The worst aspect of this deal? We are in cap hell gentlemen. 26M invested in only SF's. We also have Bargs on the payroll.

It also blows that Bargs draws back into the starting 5.

01-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonshumway View Post
How does Colangelo still have a job?!? Seriously, wth. I can understand trading Jose's expiring contract (though I would've liked to see him re-upped at smaller salary, not sure if he was up for that), but trading Davis right now is just a dumb move, not to mention Gay's big contract. Like someone above stated, Gay has shown no significant improvement stat-wise for a good few years, but is getting paid like an allstar.

Yahoo seems to agree, already calling this iffy trade for Raps:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...1538--nba.html

This trade smells of desperation, this is the kind of trade Leafs would make... but I guess Colangelo knows the knives will be out if he doesn't make a splash. Hate to say it, but I got a feeling the team will take a nosedive and that draft pick for OKC will start looking even better than it does now. I don't even want to think what happens if Lowry gets injured...
The leafs actually make good trades

Old
01-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Looking at this stats, the thing that is a little concerning about Gay is that he's basically been the same player since his 2nd year in the league. No statistical improvement. At all. 19ish points, 6ish rebounds, same shooting %s, 1.5 steals, just under 1 block, and 2-3 assists.

Very good second option, but there's nothing there that makes it seem like he can be the go-to scorer. And the fact that he's seemingly added nothing to his game makes his work ethic a question mark.
In his defense, a lot of things happened after those two seasons.

1) Gasol for Gasol, losing a guy that stretched the floor for him and has probably the best vision for a big man.
2) Mayo comes into the equation, and he begins to play big minutes for the team being that premier shooter from downtown.
3) ZBo chimes in and becomes their #1 option.

He's been surrounded by a pretty good cast his entire career, so let's see how he progresses with the Raptors. He could flop, or he could actually end up improving in all facets of the game.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Leafsforlife98

I dont know why everyone on here is complaining about taking on salary. Seriously, I am real happy we picked a legit piece today. A possible all star. Why do we need salary cap space? We arent attracting any big time free agents, so why do we need the space? So we can overpay for a Hedo Turkeylo? I am glad we took on salary, so if there is some other trades out there, it will be easier to put together packages and it shows the desire to win now which i want to see since I am season ticket holder.

We are a team that builds through the draft and trades. What is the point of having cap space if you have no one who will sign with you.

This is a good deal for the Raptors plain and simple. I do however question the chemistry that Derozan and Gay will have since they are very similar wing players who arent fantastic shooters. I would like to see Bargnani packaged with Derozan to try and get a star power forward.

Lowry-Ross-Gay-PF-Valancuinas

Old
01-30-2013, 09:39 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 769
BC says they're not done dealing

Old
01-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsforlife98 View Post
Why do we need salary cap space? We arent attracting any big time free agents, so why do we need the space?

We are a team that builds through the draft and trades. What is the point of having cap space if you have no one who will sign with you.
Excellent points!

Closed Thread