HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you fire Laviolette? (Philadelphia Daily News article dated March 12, 2013)

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Whether we have a great core is questionable at best. Couturier and Schenn have potential but they're far away from it and haven't proven anything on the offensive side of things. Heck, Schenn is a year and a half away from being another JVR case if he doesn't show something in that year and a half. Couturier hasn't proven anything more then Schenn he just has the benefit of being younger. Giroux really only has one elite season under his belt and is one of our most disappointing players thus far this season. On defense our only mainstay top pairing guy is aging and proving less effective as the seasons go by. This roster is way too young as far as our centers go. Our prospect pool is mostly awful.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Viller

I dont think Holmgren is in any kind of danger. Snider wants something or team needs something, he makes it happen as best he can. He's very much a gambler and most here dont like that (Hockey's future board... kinda make sense no?), we are very lucky to have both Snider and Holmgren.

Laviolette on the other hand, hes already toast if you ask me. His "attack, attack, attack" comments coupled with the poor start probably will seal the deal. They might wait till the off season, wich would be the smart thing to do in the short and long term. Unless he somehow pulls a miracle run again but yeah....

Old
01-30-2013, 06:37 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Yeah, I still don't care. **** Matt Carle. I wouldn't take him back either. Yeah he moved the puck, but it looks like nobody here remembered all the insane giveaways he was responsible over his career here.
If only that was the truth. It's not.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...rs-that-costly

Old
01-30-2013, 06:40 PM
mailman89

agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Yeah, I'm beginning to think lavi needs to go. I just don't like our options for replacements.
Wait to end of sesaon! Then who would be it not Cheif I hope.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:04 PM
toughfighter83*

the thing with homer was dumb was that he should have never went after zach p and suter because there were hints that they didnt want to come here yet he still went after them thinking that money would change their minds and it didnt, it backfired, and they were other good players out there that would make this team better instead he was wasting time trying to get an answer. the smart thing was he should have just dropped out and fill in the pieces.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:11 PM
kimmofan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Now if we can only get someone to trade us LeClair and Desjardins.
so now that we are in the same boat as the last 48 game season, what would be the 2013 equivalent of the leclair desjardins signing? just thought it was an interesting side topic.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:18 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
so now that we are in the same boat as the last 48 game season, what would be the 2013 equivalent of the leclair desjardins signing? just thought it was an interesting side topic.
Giroux for Shattenkirk/Pietrangelo + Berglund/Stewart?

or

Giroux for Fowler + Ryan?

or

Giroux for Subban + Pacioretty?

Old
01-30-2013, 07:20 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
If only that was the truth. It's not.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...rs-that-costly
Didn't that guy try to compare Carle to Chara and Suter using some crazy stats last year?

Old
01-30-2013, 07:22 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Giroux for Shattenkirk/Pietrangelo + Berglund/Stewart?

or

Giroux for Fowler + Ryan?

or

Giroux for Subban + Pacioretty?

Ahhh, ninja edit. I was going to say, Recchi wasn't much older and even out lasted LeClair haha.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:24 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
The hate on Homer is unfounded. I am actually starting to really dislike some of you and see why Philadelphia fans get such a reputation.

This is Cooter's second year. He's fine. A lot left to be desired? SECOND YEAR. Both Schenns look fine. They are just young. The team is slumping and people are already to throw in the towel on some of the best prospects in the league. The core is solid. G/Cooter/Schenn/Laughton up the middle is insanely nice. Voracek is slumping. It's been 9 games. Briere disappears for months and no one would REALLY say that Briere is not a very good player. He has his weaknesses, but when he's on, he dominates all over your silly face. Wayne Simmonds is still young. Why does he have to be a star? He's a young "power" foward. Sometimes those guys take time. Good god.

Homer did what he was told to do. Read between the lines. And Bob had no place here. He also drafted two decent prospects with those picks, which is another things good GMs do.

Actually, GMs certainly get credit for what they tried to do. Do you follow hockey? They get credit for this, all the time. Homer took a very public risk to make the team better and we loved him for it. Credit gained. It didn't work out, but I love the attempt. He gets credit precisely because he stands in contradistinction from the other GMs that did not offer sheet Weber. Hockey is a results oriented business, but it is also a perception business. You can't pretend that doesn't exist as well, so don't.

Everyone has been saying this, but has it happened? No. In fact, the usuals around here often mock this alleged revenge that is never coming. You want to act like the GMs are going to wage some sort of war against Homer. You do realize most these guys are friendly, golf together, attend conferences together, etc. What has it got us? It got the team | | this close to landing Weber for no assets.

Step back off the cliff. The Flyers organization is widely regarded as one of the best, and one of the best not to have won a championship yet that probably deserved one, but got bitten at the last moment by a superior team.

Thank you, that had to be rebuffed, that was pure hatorade thrown all over Homer, the Flyers are off to a bad start, they're playing uninspired hockey at the moment, give it a few more games, before we all jump off the cliff, this team is talented they need to get their hockey legs under them, but going all fire sale 7 games in is a bit over reacting, I think this team will right the ship sooner than later

Old
01-30-2013, 07:25 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Ahhh, ninja edit. I was going to say, Recchi wasn't much older and even out lasted LeClair haha.
Yeah, I forgot how young Recchi was at the time. I can only think of him as an old man.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Didn't that guy try to compare Carle to Chara and Suter using some crazy stats last year?
Yeah, BSH was notorious for cherrypicking stats to make absurd claims about Carle's skill level, while ignoring anything that painted a more negative picture.

01-30-2013, 07:37 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Yeah, I forgot how young Recchi was at the time. I can only think of him as an old man.
Haha completely understood.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:42 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
The hate for Carle on this site by Flyer fans is unreal. He wasn't flashy but he got the job done.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
It's the same site. As long as by "crazy stats" you mean "evidence."

Old
01-30-2013, 07:59 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
The hate for Carle on this site by Flyer fans is unreal. He wasn't flashy but he got the job done.
It's hard for me to think of a player that made me face-palm more than Carle. He really didn't get the job done...he turned it over like it was his job and had the weakest wrists known to man.

I have nothing against him as a person...I have no reason not to like him. He made me not like him.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:08 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
It's the same site. As long as by "crazy stats" you mean "evidence."
You don't think that's crazy to compare carle to them?

Old
01-30-2013, 08:23 PM
Primary Assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Think you're being a little hard with this analysis.

I prefer to look at what these guys did in the NHL playoffs, which is hockey at its highest level. They all looked like they belong, and they all look like they are going to be really good players. I'm not going to make rash judgements based off of a small sample of games played with a long layoff and short training camp.
If you're going to use last year's playoffs as a gauge as to the "young core's" impact, then you have to include the second round vs the Devils, to whom they were essentially swept after game 2. None of the "young core" that you speak of played particularly well in that round.

An organization cannot be considered one of the best when their last championship was 38 years ago.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Jumping

I miss Powe.

Physical, fast, good size, ok skills.

I think the Flyers had to manuever around so much to keep under the cap that they really forgot that they have to give minutes to a 5th / 6th defense, 4th line wingers, 2nd goalies and 3rd pairing pk's. I think our top guys just get really worn down and when we have injuries we have nothing left to throw in the breech.

Is that a Lavvy problem or a Homer problem?

Old
01-30-2013, 08:34 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
You don't think that's crazy to compare carle to them?
The vast majority of the time when advanced numbers people write about advanced numbers it's with no regard to personal opinion or favoritism (and for the most part players they dislike are the useless 4th liners whose main qualities are hits, fights, and whatever else is used to describe them in a positive light despite little to no redeeming actual hockey skill or production), only really how they approach their principles. The common message is that the numbers say what they say. If stats say Carle and Suter are comparable players, there's little room for dispute - if you believe in the numbers. I used to not, I do now.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:25 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
The vast majority of the time when advanced numbers people write about advanced numbers it's with no regard to personal opinion or favoritism (and for the most part players they dislike are the useless 4th liners whose main qualities are hits, fights, and whatever else is used to describe them in a positive light despite little to no redeeming actual hockey skill or production), only really how they approach their principles. The common message is that the numbers say what they say. If stats say Carle and Suter are comparable players, there's little room for dispute - if you believe in the numbers. I used to not, I do now.
I honestly know very little about advanced stats in hockey. Not my cup of tea. When it comes to Carle, I don't think he's as bad as people made him out to be. But when watching suter/chara play (not looking at stats) both are way better than Carle.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I also believe in the numbers, especially when you add in real-world context. For instance, I found that the team scored at a lower rate with Carle on the ice, which was also confirmed by his GFON/60 and GFOFF/60. That seems odd, since offense is supposed to be his strong suit; but then when you consider what we know about him, it makes sense. He has a terrible shot. Once in the offensive zone, he's basically like having Voracek on the blue line. Likely to pass and if he shoots it's a non-issue. That's really easy to defend, and other teams had caught on. All they had to do was force him to pass and if he shot...who cares? It was usually an easy block or easy save. Considering we're bad at faceoffs, wasted offensive opportunities resulting in easy saves were bad.

Suter's shot matters, and he is an actual threat in the offensive zone. His team produced more goals while he was on the ice, rather than off...unlike Carle, who's team produced at a higher rate with him on the bench. Even if you decide they're equal defensively, Suter still has a sizable advantage over Carle because he isn't a detriment in the offensive zone.

And now two mods have derailed a thread. We set such a healthy example.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Assist View Post
If you're going to use last year's playoffs as a gauge as to the "young core's" impact, then you have to include the second round vs the Devils, to whom they were essentially swept after game 2. None of the "young core" that you speak of played particularly well in that round.

An organization cannot be considered one of the best when their last championship was 38 years ago.
But that's how young players are, they are inconsistent.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:45 PM
Qyburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
the thing with homer was dumb was that he should have never went after zach p and suter because there were hints that they didnt want to come here yet he still went after them thinking that money would change their minds and it didnt, it backfired, and they were other good players out there that would make this team better instead he was wasting time trying to get an answer. the smart thing was he should have just dropped out and fill in the pieces.
I agree and disagree. I like that he tried, but the more I think about his backup plan (Weber) the more I think it exposes how thoughtless it was. How thoughtless the whole offseason was from start to finish. Obviously I'd be praising him if something would have worked, but it didn't. The more I think about it, the more the Weber offer sheet smells like the last-minute desperation of someone who knows he **** the bed in an epic, likely position-terminating fashion.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
oh yea he got the job done, thats for sure..

for the other team...

soooo dont miss Carle.

Closed Thread