HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Paul Stastny

Old
01-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

vCash: 500
Seems like the first time Leafs fans and Avs fans aren't arguing and are actually somewhat in agreement here haha!!

As an Avs fan, I would also probably do Stastny for Phaneuf once ROR is signed.

Might need to add a Dman from the Avs side and a 3C from the leafs side to attempt to fill the holes on each side, but its a good basis for a deal IMO.

This could be the start of a great friendship between the Leafs and Avs fanbases.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Remember2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCally View Post
Stastny for Phaneuf is usually the offer everyone agrees on after a while. That's what I've noticed in the Stastny/Phaneuf threads.
So theoretically Calgary could have gotten Statsny for Phanuef BUT instead Sutter didn't tell anyone that Dion was available and traded him for complete garbage? I'm a Calgary fan i'm not going to try to justify how at the time we got a better deal saying "White was better" Thats just a load of S*** I think thats the only quantity for quality thats been made recently.

Remember2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember2004 View Post
So theoretically Calgary could have gotten Statsny for Phanuef BUT instead Sutter didn't tell anyone that Dion was available and traded him for complete garbage? I'm a Calgary fan i'm not going to try to justify how at the time we got a better deal saying "White was better" Thats just a load of S*** I think thats the only quantity for quality thats been made recently.
Well not exactly. At the time of the Phaneuf to Toronto trade Stastny was playing PPG Hockey, as well as stil lbeing very responsible Defensively.

It would have taken Phaneuf++ for Stastny back then more then likely. Now Stastny has had a couple bad years for him and hasn't had a great start to this year, so Phaneuf for Stas across is a close trade now.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Freaky Styley

Stastny is one of my favorite players in the league, but I'm starting to hope he gets traded somewhere so that he can flourish. I think St. Louis would be a perfect fit because it's his home town, there is a coach with an actual system, and he could be re-united with Stewart who he had a lot of chemistry with. This isn't really feasible until next trade deadline though, once O'Reilly is signed and if the Avs can't sign him and are out of the playoffs.

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Pheasant the peasant
Lupul Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Seems like the first time Leafs fans and Avs fans aren't arguing and are actually somewhat in agreement here haha!!

Might need to add a Dman from the Avs side and a 3C from the leafs side to attempt to fill the holes on each side, but its a good basis for a deal IMO.

This could be the start of a great friendship between the Leafs and Avs fanbases.
Nice to see most Toronto fans offering more than just 3rd liners. I think Leafs fans are finally coming around to the idea that the Avalanche won't give him away for free.

And, on the flip side, seems like Colarado fans are admitting that a Stastny trade might help them. So we're making real progress.

Pheasant the peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:54 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasant the peasant View Post
Nice to see most Toronto fans offering more than just 3rd liners. I think Leafs fans are finally coming around to the idea that the Avalanche won't give him away for free.

And, on the flip side, seems like Colarado fans are admitting that a Stastny trade might help them. So we're making real progress.
I'm really not that high on Stastny. Aside from being a 1b top 70ish Center what kind of game does he bring that the Leafs need? Is he Physical? Good on draws? A two way center? Play the PK?

Pardon my ignorance.

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Stastny would be great in Toronto or St. Louis.

Offensively, he is essentially a one dimensional player - he makes plays down low and along the boards. His goal totals have remained roughly similar, but his assists have dropped off a lot since we moved Chris Stewart, which was incidentally the last time Stastny played with a real goal scorer.

If he was playing in St. Louis with their strong possession game or in Toronto feeding Kessel, he would quickly return to his near-PPG level, I have no doubt of that. I can't imagine St. Louis wanting to disrupt their chemistry though or take on his expensive contract.

I do agree that a Stastny + depth Defenseman for Phaneuf + depth Center deal could be a good deal for both sides if the Avs get ROR signed but it really depends on how Toronto would fill those minutes Phaneuf plays. It's hard to say without knowing what direction the new management will take the team in over the next couple seasons.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:58 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
I'm really not that high on Stastny. Aside from being a 1b top 70ish Center what kind of game does he bring that the Leafs need? Is he Physical? Good on draws? A two way center? Play the PK?

Pardon my ignorance.
He's responsible but not something that will blow you away defensively. Until ROR stepped into a defensive role, Stastny's line was generally used against opposing teams top lines. He is also quite strong on faceoffs and can play the PK with reasonable effectiveness. He isn't physical, however, and isn't going to blow you away with his speed or puck skills. More of a positional and cerebral playmaker. It's important to note though while he's not physical he isn't soft and can hold his own down low and along the boards, and on the defensive side of the game.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Spawn

Stastny for Jbo makes sense to me as an outsider looking in. Nearly identical contracts in terms of length and term. Both have underperfomed over the past couple of seasons. Stastny gets to play with Iginla, Bouwmeester can be the ying to EJ's yang.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Stastny for Jbo makes sense to me as an outsider looking in. Nearly identical contracts in terms of length and term. Both have underperfomed over the past couple of seasons. Stastny gets to play with Iginla, Bouwmeester can be the ying to EJ's yang.
No thank you. People need to chill with the whole under-performance deal.

2007-2008 - Leading scorer despite appearing in 66 games
2008-2009 - Injury limited him to 36 points in 45 games
2009-2010 - Leading scorer by 15 points
2010-2011 - Scored 57 points, second to Duchene's 67
2011-2012 - Scored 53 points, second to O'Reilly's 55

If you look at his salary comparables, you'll notice that if he scored 10 additional points in the last two years, he would fit right in. That's not very big under-performance especially on a team in a rebuild.

The gist of it is, drop his salary by less than a million and all of a sudden he fits in perfectly with his comparables. Can you say the same about JBo?

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:14 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Stastny would be great in Toronto or St. Louis.

Offensively, he is essentially a one dimensional player - he makes plays down low and along the boards. His goal totals have remained roughly similar, but his assists have dropped off a lot since we moved Chris Stewart, which was incidentally the last time Stastny played with a real goal scorer.

If he was playing in St. Louis with their strong possession game or in Toronto feeding Kessel, he would quickly return to his near-PPG level, I have no doubt of that. I can't imagine St. Louis wanting to disrupt their chemistry though or take on his expensive contract.

I do agree that a Stastny + depth Defenseman for Phaneuf + depth Center deal could be a good deal for both sides if the Avs get ROR signed but it really depends on how Toronto would fill those minutes Phaneuf plays. It's hard to say without knowing what direction the new management will take the team in over the next couple seasons.
So, an Avs fan says that Stastny would return to his near-PPG level in Toronto, and we're supposed to just believe them, then follow by trading our #1 defenceman for that player???

Fact is... Stastny's been on a pretty steady decline over the past years. If he was a guarantee to be a point-per-game player, then it's a trade you probably consider and turn down because it's filling one hole by digging another (while you're better set up at centre without Stastny than you are on defence without Phaneuf.

When you consider that Stastny's been on a decline the last few years, there's just no way Phaneuf gets put on the table for him. It's not a matter of Colorado adding, or a couple of other players to balance out depth on the roster spots, trading Dion Phaneuf is just not something the Leafs can afford to do at this point.

If the Avs are going to trade Stastny, Toronto should certainly put forward an offer, whether that can be competitive with what other teams are offering, I don't know. If Calgary were to offer Jay Bouwmeester, and the Avs aren't going to place a high value on getting youth, then I suspect it won't be a competitive offer.

Last edited by seanlinden: 01-30-2013 at 09:23 PM.
seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:29 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
So, an Avs fan says that Stastny would return to his near-PPG level in Toronto, and we're supposed to just believe them, then follow by trading our #1 defenceman for that player???

Fact is... Stastny's been on a pretty steady decline over the past years. If he was a guarantee to be a point-per-game player, then it's a trade you probably consider and turn down because it's filling one hole by digging another (while you're better set up at centre without Stastny than you are on defence without Phaneuf.

When you consider that Stastny's been on a decline the last few years, there's just no way Phaneuf gets put on the table for him. It's not a matter of Colorado adding, or a couple of other players to balance out depth on the roster spots, trading Dion Phaneuf is just not something the Leafs can afford to do at this point.

If the Avs are going to trade Stastny, Toronto should certainly put forward an offer, whether that can be competitive with what other teams are offering, I don't know. If Calgary were to offer Jay Bouwmeester, and the Avs aren't going to place a high value on getting youth, then I suspect it won't
be a competitive offer.
But Sean the Big question Here , the Elephant in the Room : Is He also Worse than Bozak ???

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:32 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
But Sean the Big question Here , the Elephant in the Room : Is He also Worse than Bozak ???
Where'd you get the idea that any of Colorado's top 3 centres are worse than Bozak?

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:39 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
He's responsible but not something that will blow you away defensively. Until ROR stepped into a defensive role, Stastny's line was generally used against opposing teams top lines. He is also quite strong on faceoffs and can play the PK with reasonable effectiveness. He isn't physical, however, and isn't going to blow you away with his speed or puck skills. More of a positional and cerebral playmaker. It's important to note though while he's not physical he isn't soft and can hold his own down low and along the boards, and on the defensive side of the game.
Thanks.

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:42 PM
capitalsrock

Stastny for Leddy,pick/prospect

I know Bolland has been pretty good on the 2nd line but we all know he should be on the third.

This would give Colorado a top line young puck mover to pair with EJ and this would give Chicago one of the best center depth's in the NHL.

I feel like Leddy holds slightly less value, but he is younger and the need for defense should make Colorado do this deal with a pick or prospect added from Chicago's side.

capitalsrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:09 PM
Stryker Island

Statsny for Bouwmeester makes almost too much sense for both teams for it to ever happen.

Stryker Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:45 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
honest question:

How do you know about their chemistry? Have you seen them play in Germany?
I only ever watched 2 games myself.

I'm mainly going off of what others have said.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:04 AM
Flames rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
No thank you. People need to chill with the whole under-performance deal.

2007-2008 - Leading scorer despite appearing in 66 games
2008-2009 - Injury limited him to 36 points in 45 games
2009-2010 - Leading scorer by 15 points
2010-2011 - Scored 57 points, second to Duchene's 67
2011-2012 - Scored 53 points, second to O'Reilly's 55

If you look at his salary comparables, you'll notice that if he scored 10 additional points in the last two years, he would fit right in. That's not very big under-performance especially on a team in a rebuild.

The gist of it is, drop his salary by less than a million and all of a sudden he fits in perfectly with his comparables. Can you say the same about JBo?
Actually adding 10 points to each players stats, would leave Stastny in 14th and JBow 20th, in scoring for their respected positions.

Flames rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:07 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post

I'm sorry bud but you're not getting a top pairing D-man for a guy who practically hasn't played to his capabilities for a couple of years now.

I would still like Stasny on my team as I think a change of scenery could benefit him but not at the cost of our captain.

01-31-2013, 12:25 AM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I'm sorry bud but you're not getting a top pairing D-man for a guy who practically hasn't played to his capabilities for a couple of years now.

I would still like Stasny on my team as I think a change of scenery could benefit him but not at the cost of our captain.
Yeah, because Phaneufs been playing to his capabilities.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:28 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:

The exact same thing can be said about Dion Phaneuf. Your argument is flawed.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:38 AM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:

Yes, because Phaneuf has practically played to his capabilities for the last couple years, right?

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:56 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I only ever watched 2 games myself.

I'm mainly going off of what others have said.
really interested to hear how you've seen those 2 games.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:34 AM
VegasSabreFan

the whole reason the OP said no Leafs proposals is so this didn't get started...

that said

To Colorado
Andrej Sekera
Zemgus Girgensons

To Buffalo
Paul Stastny
Salary relief

Sekera isn't as sexy of a name as Phaneuf but he fills the need more of the smart responsible compliment to EJ and Girgensons fits in with your rebuilding.

VegasSabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:56 AM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

As a Devils fan, Stastny intrigues me. We have plenty of solid defenseman that we could send the other way.

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote