HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Anyone ever gotten the FBV or Flat Bottom V sharpening done?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:27 AM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Any goalies rocking the FBV?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Been rocking the 100/50 and love it. I find it lasts longer as well, but could just be in my head.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:19 PM
roffleburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
What cut did you get and did you try any others? If you got a bad sharpening or a funny "hollow" that could cause issues. I know if I had a 7/8" or higher standard sharpening I'd hate it.
I skate on 7/8", I absolutely love it. Currently working my way up to 1" lol

roffleburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:22 PM
JR97

I'm another 100/50 guy. It took me a warm-ups and a shift to really feel comfortable but I haven't looked back since.

The amount of glide is noticeable. I do have to lean the edge a little deeper to get the edge to engage but it bites hard once it does. So I"ve had to develop some confidence to lean that hard in my turns especially at full speed.

I do have a couple of horror stories, though. The rink I have mine done at charges $2 more if you have them done on the spot so I usually leave my skates overnight. A lot of times they're not done when I go into pickup them and they'll end up doing them on the spot. On my last trip the dude was in a hurry because he needed to zam as well so he rushed them. I'm pretty sure he didn't give me 100/50. In my next game during warmups I went flying into the corner at full speed, went to put on the brakes and there was no glide whatsoever. I ended up flying over the handle bars head first in the boards. Ouch. I couldn't really stop that whole game and went into the corners like a baby giraffe.... legs wide and snow plowing.

The next night in a game I was charging the net and the goalie came out to challenge and then instead of retreating back towards the net and across, he cut off my route to the front of the net. I should have just run over him. But instead I tried to cut behind the net instead but had no angle. I went to stop before slamming into the boards but the blades grabbed and instead of going head first into the boards I sort of just lifted my feet off the ice and ended up feet first. Broke my heel bone and tore a ligament in my ankle.

Morale of the stories is to make sure you get the profile you ask for.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:57 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by roffleburger View Post
I skate on 7/8", I absolutely love it. Currently working my way up to 1" lol
if you love 7/8th why change it?

dont fix something that isnt broken

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Malarowski

Question on that, I am still quite a noobie and have trouble hockey stopping properly, because it seems my edge on one side bites too much with a 1/2" cut. Does it make sense to switch to a FBV cut as it sounds like it is slightly better, or since it is mostly a technique issue on my end, should I stick with what I have and learn it first. I have the feeling it doesn't matter, but I like to crutch on gear etc. if I can.

To add to that, I seem to have a good feel for my right inside, left outside edge, but lose the other side (left inside, right outside) occasionally while cross-overing etc. The right outside edge specifically seems elusive to me.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:52 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
Question on that, I am still quite a noobie and have trouble hockey stopping properly, because it seems my edge on one side bites too much with a 1/2" cut. Does it make sense to switch to a FBV cut as it sounds like it is slightly better, or since it is mostly a technique issue on my end, should I stick with what I have and learn it first. I have the feeling it doesn't matter, but I like to crutch on gear etc. if I can.

To add to that, I seem to have a good feel for my right inside, left outside edge, but lose the other side (left inside, right outside) occasionally while cross-overing etc. The right outside edge specifically seems elusive to me.
It makes sense to try because FBV will not bite hard, until you really get the edges to an angle. You have a little more leeway turning the edges before they cut into the ice.

I've been a convert ever since I tried it first. It was kinda wierd first, because the FBV doesn't "sink" into the ice as the traditional hollow, so if you stand around it kinda feels unsteady. As soon as you move it's faster and it bites as a viper turning and stopping.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:39 PM
roffleburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
if you love 7/8th why change it?

dont fix something that isnt broken
I'm always experimenting with my hollows, I've only been playing for 2 years and still trying to get a feel of the best one for me in the long-term. I cannot get used to anything with a deeper hollow than 7/8ths though. I don't mind a flatter hollow, just have to get used to it.

roffleburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:42 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Back when this product was first going to market, I had an opportunity to interview the founder. It's a true homegrown company, built from the ground up by a father and son who worked at a hockey shop... simple as that. They figured out an improvement and just went for it. Boom, next thing you know it's in just about every shop on the continent.

Trivia: Cory Stillman was the first NHL'er to give it a shot.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:35 AM
OpenIceHit42

I've been using it for about 8 months or so. I felt like I was skating in mud in a standard 1/2" cut and I will not go back...I use the 1/2" FBV and have been tempted to try something a little different but like I tell myself "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Thesensation19*

Heard it was the same price. Any response I got back from it was either it was better or you dont realize the difference. The theory says that you dont lose the glide, in fact it should help, and the edges are better. And if you get it you can easily switch back. So i said why not... and i did and its pretty cool.

Thesensation19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:39 PM
hockeymass

I like it better than ROH. I don't notice a loss of control, moreso a loss of bite. My edges don't bite into the ice as hard, but I still have plenty of control.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:36 PM
7toZulu

I just tried out the FBV in the last week. I did notice a better glide, but not so much that it was a great improvement over ROH. I don't know what it was, but i didnt really like FBV. The bite was good, but when skating in a straight line, the only way i can describe the feeling is "scrapey". Maybe i'm weird, but i like feeling a little dug into the ice when skating... plus i get a better workout

7toZulu is offline   Reply With Quote