HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Every Time Danny Cleary

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 07:40 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
It would be absolutely hilarious and i would not be shocked if Holland gave Cleary a two year contract extension.
I wanna bet this so hard. You'd lose so much money off of this it wouldn't be funny. But I'm not a gambler, thankfully. This is just utter foolishness.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:42 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
I wanna bet this so hard. You'd lose so much money off of this it wouldn't be funny. But I'm not a gambler, thankfully. This is just utter foolishness.
How hilarious would it be if Kenny brought back Sammy? (HFBoards post last April)

Old
01-30-2013, 07:49 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
How hilarious would it be if Kenny brought back Sammy? (HFBoards post last April)
Bacock wanted a right handed shot, a guy who can chip in on offense, a guy who could be a top six forward and a bottom six forward, and a guy with size. Not only does Danny Cleary not fit this bill, the situations are entirely different. Now we need roster spots for the young ones to begin transitioning to the next era. Signing Cleary would make no sense at all.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:52 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Bacock wanted a right handed shot, a guy who can chip in on offense, a guy who could be a top six forward and a bottom six forward, and a guy with size. Not only does Danny Cleary not fit this bill, the situations are entirely different. Now we need roster spots for the young ones to begin transitioning to the next era. Signing Cleary would make no sense at all.
That's pretty much what Babcock thinks of Cleary right now besides being a right-handed shot. And we needed roster spots for the young ones this year as well, but that didn't happen. It is entirely possible that Cleary gets something like 2 for $2 million, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:52 PM
Nyquist

I can't believe I thought Cleary was going to have a big bounceback year.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:55 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Signing Sammy makes no sense at all.

Sammy is washed up garbage just like Cleary.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:56 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
That's pretty much what Babcock thinks of Cleary right now besides being a right-handed shot. And we needed roster spots for the young ones this year as well, but that didn't happen. It is entirely possible that Cleary gets something like 2 for $2 million, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.
Cleary is not that anymore. It should be evident to everyone. If it's evident to us, it most definitely was evident to the brass before we realized it. We didn't need roster spots for the young ones this year. As you can see, we're fine right now. Even without Sammy, we still have no room for the young guys.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:58 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Cleary is not that anymore. It should be evident to everyone. If it's evident to us, it most definitely was evident to the brass before we realized it. We didn't need roster spots for the young ones this year. As you can see, we're fine right now. Even without Sammy, we still have no room for the young guys.
How are we fine right now? A non contending team where the prospects still aren't getting a chance. That is the furthest thing from fine.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:01 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
How are we fine right now? A non contending team where the prospects still aren't getting a chance. That is the furthest thing from fine.
Last I checked, we were 6th in the conference. That's a playoff spot, IINM.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:03 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Old
01-30-2013, 08:04 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Last I checked, we were 6th in the conference. That's a playoff spot, IINM.
Wings made the playoffs last year and weren't contenders. They might make the playoffs this year and wont be contenders. They would need an act from god to win the cup.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:08 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Wings made the playoffs last year and weren't contenders. They might make the playoffs this year and wont be contenders. They would need an act from god to win the cup.
That's not what a contender is. You can't measure playoff success in this area. As the Kings have demonstrated, it's all a crapshoot. Anything can happen.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:12 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
That's not what a contender is. You can't measure playoff success in this area. As the Kings have demonstrated, it's all a crapshoot. Anything can happen.
Kings are so different from the Wings it's laughable that you are comparing them to the Wings.

One team doing it does not mean every team can do it. The exception to the rule does not turn into the norm once it happens.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:15 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Kings are so different from the Wings it's laughable that you are comparing them to the Wings.

One team doing it does not mean every team can do it. The exception to the rule does not turn into the norm once it happens.
Your ignorance of the history of the NHL playoffs post 04-05 lockout is ludicrous.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:22 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Your ignorance of the history of the NHL playoffs post 04-05 lockout is ludicrous.
The fact that you don't know what a contender is, yet call yourself a Wings fan, is ridiculous.

How long have you watched the Wings for?

This Wings team is not a contender. Making the playoffs does not make you a contender.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:23 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
How many #1-3 seeds have won the cup since the lockout and how many 4-8 seeds have won the cup since the lockout?

Only two 4-8 seeds have won the cup since the lockout. One being last years Kings and the Crosby led Penguins.

Penguins 4 seed
Kings 8 seed

OMG, the Stanley cup playoffs are soooooo flukey and unpredictable. The majority of the time the top three teams win the cup. Wow, that is some unpredictable hockey.

Your ignorance is astounding.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:36 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
How many #1-3 seeds have won the cup since the lockout and how many 4-8 seeds have won the cup since the lockout?

Only two 4-8 seeds have won the cup since the lockout. One being last years Kings and the Crosby led Penguins.

Penguins 4 seed
Kings 8 seed

OMG, the Stanley cup playoffs are soooooo flukey and unpredictable.

Your ignorance is astounding.
This reasoning is arbitrary. Since when is winning the Stanley cup the definition of a contender? By your standards, every year there is only one contender. Throughout the history of the playoffs since the 05 lockout, we've had numerous upsets, and only once has the previous Stanley Cup champion made it past the first round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
The fact that you don't know what a contender is, yet call yourself a Wings fan, is ridiculous.
The fact that you are calling me ridiculous for not agreeing with you on what a contender is in of itself laughable.

Quote:
How long have you watched the Wings for?
Irrelevant

Quote:
This Wings team is not a contender. Making the playoffs does not make you a contender.
You're acting like a spoiled brat. So we haven't made the Conference Finals since 2009. Big whoop. It takes a crap ton of work just to get there. The fact we made three straight is something many teams would give an arm, a leg, a kings ransom, and a portion of their souls for that kind of run if they could. You can't define a contender based on what they can do in the playoffs. By that, then New York was one loss away last year from not being a contender. Boston should not be considered a contender. I guess we can't consider the Sharks contenders either. The Blackhawks haven't been contenders since 2010. The Canucks weren't contenders last year either. Do you use how ludicrous this is? I hope so. This is BS.

Last edited by JmanWingsFan: 01-30-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 08:58 PM
THW

I think what we believe to be contenders would be any team with a reasonable and realistic chance to win the Stanley Cup. Most of us on the board would not consider the Wings to be contenders at this moment. Usually there are about 3-5 contenders for the Championship every year.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:02 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by THW View Post
I think what we believe to be contenders would be any team with a reasonable and realistic chance to win the Stanley Cup. Most of us on the board would not consider the Wings to be contenders at this moment. Usually there are about 3-5 contenders for the Championship every year.
There is no such thing as a realistic chance to win the Cup.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:14 PM
THW

Quote:
What? That is the single most ridiculous thing I have seen on this board.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:15 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Actually, there is.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:16 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
You know, some teams are just simply better than others. And by the looks of it, the Wings aren't a top team in the West. Could they make the playoffs and go on a tear? Sure, but so can Columbus. That doesn't make you a Cup contender, what makes you a Cup contender is simply having a better team than the majority of the league.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:16 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by THW View Post
What? That is the single most ridiculous thing I have seen on this board.
There are too many teams with expectations to win the Stanley cup that are ousted by the second round for me to assume you can quantify the percentage chance of winning the Stanley Cup.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:25 PM
THW

You cannot quantify chance. You can give subjective quantification based on games played, players and strength of competition. As a poor example, look at the BCS. As true fans of the game of Hockey, MOST of us can look at teams as they play throughout the season and pick a few teams that have a REALISTIC and REASONABLE shot at being a Stanley Cup winning team.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:28 PM
BinCookin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
You know, some teams are just simply better than others. And by the looks of it, the Wings aren't a top team in the West. Could they make the playoffs and go on a tear? Sure, but so can Columbus. That doesn't make you a Cup contender, what makes you a Cup contender is simply having a better team than the majority of the league.
Sorry to Quote myself from earlier in the week:

I can think of no other way to point out the fact that our team has been "good"

on a sliding scale of 1-10 (1 being bad, 10 very good)

2008 Cup winners (team =10)
2009 Cup finalists (team =10)
2010 2nd round exit (team =8/9) (2nd most man games lost to injury)
2011 2nd round exit (team =8) (3rd seed in the western conference for playoffs, we lost to the 2nd seed SJ) (Rafalski retires)
2012 1st round exit (team =7/8) (5th seed, but CHI, ST.L and NASH and DET were at one point all 4 in the top 8 teams in the NHL) (Lidstrom / Holmstrom retires)

My point is we are spoiled fans. We have had an amazing run for the last 20 years. We have been getting worse yes. have we been contenders this whole time - yes. were we the ONE and ONLY favourite each year? No - we were only the favorite in 2009.

I really one have 1 point. We have been alot better than some fans around here imply.

"no chance of winning the cup for a few years" - few = 3.
so basically you are upset we didnt win the western conference the past 3 seasons. Nothing but the BEST team in hockey is a contender right?

Exception: LAK (2012 SC champion) (8th seed); 14th during the season
BOS (2011 SC champion) (3rd seed; WSH 1st seed, PHI 2nd seed, PIT 4th seed (actually had more pts than boston); 6th during the season. - Det was 5th, one point ahead of them. (if you want to go by season points, Pit 5th, Det 6th, Bos 7th) - Thus we were better than the Champions that year... id say that made us a contender in 2011.

2010 we had a great year, but injuries hurt us badly, we ended up lower, and losing to SJ.

I am just saying Det had more than "No chance of winning"
Sorry we were not the 1st seed, or COMPLETE favourite.
This is what I mean by spoiled.

Could Holland have done something different? Yes
Could it have made this team better? Yes/Maybe
Do I agree with everything the team does? No

Has Detroit sucked the last 3 seasons though? NO NO NO
Try being a fan of another team for 1 second, and realize how unreasonable we are being when you say "not" contender.

I get your point though. "We are no longer the favourite"

I suggest the top 5-8 teams are usually contenders and on that definition detroit has been a contender every year. Season finish in points: 7th last year, 6th the year before, 7th the year before that, 3rd (2009) beaten by pittsburgh (9th), 1st seed (2008) - Cup Winners.

If you want to say we are not contenders because we are not the top 5, fine, then we are 6/7th the last 3 years. Many of you are too harsh and to spoiled to realize we still have a pretty strong team.

We have had a "Decent" chance of winning the cup these last few years, but losing 2 of our best D-men this year... Things may be changing.

Closed Thread