HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Райан О'Рейли: In Soviet Ontario Offer Sheets Sign You; Rayan's 3rd Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 07:27 PM
Colorado Avalanche

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
that can't be true. how the hell can a player sit out two years and reach UFA by not accruing any service time.
but if ROR wants to sit out two years and play chicken i say the Avs call his bluff and make his ass lose two years of his career.
he'll cost himself more money this way.
he can go to russia and make more money than playing in nhl..

Old
01-30-2013, 07:35 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
That's not true.

Ryan O'Reilly loves the city, the fans, his teammates, and his coaches.

The issues that him and his agent have with people in suits(that cost more than $300, so no Sacco) hasn't changed that.

He will not sign an offer sheet, and thus far, the Avs are not open to trading him at all.
Why do his actions say differently? He's turning down extremely fair offers and refusing to play for his fans, teammates, coaches, and the city.

Maybe he likes the fans, coaches, teammates, and city, but it sure as hell looks like he doesn't love them with his behavior. His actions state that he loves money and is unwilling to compromise.

I like ROR the player and I want him to get what he's worth, but my god, this is way beyond that. He needs to wake up, realize he's getting a VERY fair offer in light of recent deals and past ones, and stop this professional tantrum. If you only want to win in negotiations you will more often than not end hurting yourself more.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:43 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I think we need to take our own advice here. Several posters have said that he shouldn't be sulking or taking things personal because this is only "business"

We need that perspective. This isn't personal, it's business. From everything we can gather, it seems that Ryan loves his teammates, loves the city, but is just enbroiled in a business negotiation.

It's not personal, so why are we making it personal?
Meh, I don't know RL. It's kinda hard to have to sit through a lockout not being able to root for your favorite player on your favorite team, only to have it end and then still not be able to root for your favorite player on your favorite team for all the same reasons you just had a lockout.

It kinda makes it hard to be a fan. I see what you are saying but honestly if I think of it as a business negotiation, I'm much more inclined to think we should be making a public statement that he has until the 1st to sign his offer or will be moved to the highest bidder at the close of business on the 6th. In a business you don't let assets rust...you use them and if you can't you sell them to someone who can for the best price possible.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:50 PM
IceRat
#BallsOnTheTable

I guess if I knew last season was an aberration and I'd never be able to repeat or exceed that performance I'd ask for the moon as well

Old
01-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
The thing that bothers me the most about this situation is that turning down a bridge deal just strikes me as stubborn, short sighted, and flat out stupid. As much as I'd love to lock up Ryan long term I really do believe his demands are unreasonable. I know many things have been said about his work ethic and in general he's not someone I worry too much about being able to sustain the quality of his play, but then I also wanted us to lock up Chris Stewart after his breakout season. I understand that they're different kind of players, but these types of regressions happen so often that it seems only prudent to ask him to prove that he can maintain the level of his play. This is why I don't understand why he's so opposed to a bridge deal - if he's really as good as he believes himself to be (and probably is), then why not just earn a much more lucrative deal?

Old
01-30-2013, 08:15 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Meh, I don't know RL. It's kinda hard to have to sit through a lockout not being able to root for your favorite player on your favorite team, only to have it end and then still not be able to root for your favorite player on your favorite team for all the same reasons you just had a lockout.

It kinda makes it hard to be a fan. I see what you are saying but honestly if I think of it as a business negotiation, I'm much more inclined to think we should be making a public statement that he has until the 1st to sign his offer or will be moved to the highest bidder at the close of business on the 6th. In a business you don't let assets rust...you use them and if you can't you sell them to someone who can for the best price possible.
Believe me, I'm fighting the same feelings that many others in this and previous O'Reilly threads have.

I just don't feel that we should attack him, or even his family, even if it is in a joking manner.

If what TPS has recently said is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, then that would indicate that O'Reilly and his agent are having problems with UPPER Management, people along the lines of Sherman/The Lacroix's/etc.

At the end of the day, we all say that it's "just business" so he shouldn't take things personally...perhaps we should practice what we preach, no matter how hard that may be.

***EDIT***

But believe me Expat, I completely understand the viewpoint you share, and can even see myself on that side as well

Old
01-30-2013, 08:17 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
I don't take it personally, it's a business. Just like the lockout. I'm not mad at anybody over the lockout.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:26 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
I don't take it personally, it's a business. Just like the lockout. I'm not mad at anybody over the lockout.
I'm still mad at Manny Malhotra and his one-eyed view of things.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:29 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I'm still mad at Manny Malhotra and his one-eyed view of things.
You just made my day. Thanks Freud.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
That's not true.

The issues that him and his agent have with people in suits(that cost more than $300, so no Sacco) hasn't changed that.

He will not sign an offer sheet, and thus far, the Avs are not open to trading him at all.
If what you say and the reported $7M/2yr offer are true, then it seems that (1) he has a distorted sense of his market value or (2) has problems with the brass that go beyond money. If it's the former, I hope it's a dispute over term or else it's ridiculous in light of other deals. If it's the latter, none of what you said would preclude him from requesting a trade, and your last line seems to indicate he's at least floated the idea to them.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
That's not true.

Signing an offer sheet could speed up the process but If its not even a consideration for ROR then you have to wonder if he actually wants to be here.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Foppa Frossa

Quote:
That's not true.

So we just have to get someone on the inside to burn all the expensive suits?

Old
01-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Believe me, I'm fighting the same feelings that many others in this and previous O'Reilly threads have.

I just don't feel that we should attack him, or even his family, even if it is in a joking manner.
I haven't attacked O'Reilly at all and I really want him back on this team but it's way too easy to make fun of his crazy dad. Sorry but that will have to continue. We still make fun of Peter Stastny for his comments after the trade with the Blues.

Quote:
If what TPS has recently said is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, then that would indicate that O'Reilly and his agent are having problems with UPPER Management, people along the lines of Sherman/The Lacroix's/etc.
Sakic......?

Old
01-30-2013, 08:50 PM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
That's not true.

Hmmmm, so he won't sign an offer sheet you say.... But, he's ok to sign a 2 year deal in Russia, with a salary stipulation.

Something isn't adding up. It seems more likely, that no one is willing to offer him what he seems to be demanding, and thus, is unwilling to sign an offer sheet.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:50 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
His actions state that he loves money and is unwilling to compromise.
Or he wants out of the organization and is therefore unwilling to compromise.

I mean, it may be as simple as a guy trying to utterly maximize his payday after by far his best season.

However, the O'R camp has to know what the rest of us know - that any player who doesn't sign offered contracts (especially those who miss training camp time, let alone regular season time) get shipped out of PL's sandbox very quickly. Which is precisely what they've done. In spades. This, after the guy rocks the boat by signing a two year KHL contract. On top of that, they've (evidently) turned down a couple of seemingly fair contract proposals that would have made O'R a very wealthy young man at age 21.

It seems a bit extreme to me. I can't help but wonder if he simply wants out. For whatever reason.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:53 PM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

If Ryan wanted out, he would have requested a trade. Sure the Avs keep their secrets, however what would be stopping the agent from publicizing his request for a trade to top sources like TSN?

I think this is just business.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
If Ryan wanted out, he would have requested a trade. Sure the Avs keep their secrets, however what would be stopping the agent from publicizing his request for a trade to top sources like TSN?

For all we know he did request a trade. Publicizing his trade request is a surefire way of not getting it. First, his value would be diminished. Second, the Avs would hardline to let future trolls know the organization is not to be truffled with. You take the loss once to discourage future attempts to force a trade.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:18 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post

Maybe to avoid having the Avs ship him to the Islanders?

(Not saying he's getting traded, just that there are good reasons to keep things quiet).

Old
01-30-2013, 11:22 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I haven't attacked O'Reilly at all and I really want him back on this team but it's way too easy to make fun of his crazy dad. Sorry but that will have to continue. We still make fun of Peter Stastny for his comments after the trade with the Blues.

Sakic......?
I dunno...I just can't see it being someone as widely revered and respected in the league as Joe Sakic being someone that would be the cause of O'Reilly not signing. Plus I don't think that he really has anything to do with Contact Negotiations at this stage in his Front Office career.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:27 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
he can go to russia and make more money than playing in nhl..
only to a certain point. eventually all the sponsorship deals and endorsements missed will add up. plus there is no guarantee he'll get 4 mil a season after his contract ends next season.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:37 PM
Avsboy

I'm not sure I want O'Reilly around this season. It will be a short and quick tank and I would be embarrassed for radar if he was a part of it.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:20 AM
jfisher6
#thestructure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
I'm not sure I want O'Reilly around this season. It will be a short and quick tank and I would be embarrassed for radar if he was a part of it.
He IS a part of it.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:45 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Or he wants out of the organization and is therefore unwilling to compromise.

I mean, it may be as simple as a guy trying to utterly maximize his payday after by far his best season.

However, the O'R camp has to know what the rest of us know - that any player who doesn't sign offered contracts (especially those who miss training camp time, let alone regular season time) get shipped out of PL's sandbox very quickly. Which is precisely what they've done. In spades. This, after the guy rocks the boat by signing a two year KHL contract. On top of that, they've (evidently) turned down a couple of seemingly fair contract proposals that would have made O'R a very wealthy young man at age 21.

It seems a bit extreme to me. I can't help but wonder if he simply wants out. For whatever reason.
Agreed. This seems to me like a player who doesn't even care IF he gets shipped out as long as he gets the deal he wants.

I don't really see any other way to look at it. IF it was 'just business' as so many of your put it, I think this would have gotten done by last week at the latest when Benn and Subban decided they missed enough time and it was time to get back on the ice.

I want Marc Staal. Get it done Sherman!

Old
01-31-2013, 08:45 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

this team keeps looking worse and worse. Stastny while not playing the worst I have ever seen him, isn't playing great. In order for this team to turn their fate around they need ROR back to give the team center depth again. It is time for ROR to give in and sign a bridge deal of some sort, and management and ROR will need to work on repairing the relationship because ROR is going to have to be our future #2C.

Last edited by Frenchy: 01-31-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 08:47 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher6 View Post
He IS a part of it.
Exactly. If we had O'Reilly, maybe our team would do better.

Closed Thread