HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Timonen to a contender at the trade deadline

Old
01-30-2013, 12:55 PM
TSA0402

vCash: 500
I'd say 1st and a lesser/project prospect. But it all depends on Timonen this year. If he plays very well up to the deadline, a better prospect.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Still makes me wonder why Philly insists on taking forwards in the first round when the likes of Hamilton, Finn, Maatta, Matheson etc are still on the board. Losing Timonen could cause the cup window to completely pass.
When you are horrendous at developing defensemen and among the best in the league at developing forwards, I think it makes sense to maximize your organizational strengths. You can always trade a developed forward for a developing defenseman.

Of the guys you mention, Hamilton is clearly THE guy that would make the most difference to the Flyers and en lieu of Hamilton, the Flyers drafted a "never should have been there" Couturier. It's hard to argue that they really screwed that one up.

I and most other fans were screaming for Maatta, so I think that's the guy who has the most potential to really bite us in the long run.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:22 PM
TyroneShoelaces

Never gonna happen but Pittsburgh could use him on the Powerplay. It would give him another chance to make a run at the Cup and upgrade Pittsburgh's defense for the playoffs. However, Philly will never help Pittsburgh like that. Understood.

TyroneShoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:27 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangBrassard23 View Post
Never gonna happen but Pittsburgh could use him on the Powerplay. It would give him another chance to make a run at the Cup and upgrade Pittsburgh's defense for the playoffs. However, Philly will never help Pittsburgh like that. Understood.
I think this matters more long-term core players, than UFA rentals to be.

If Philly is truly out of it come playoff time, and Timonen truly is open to be traded, I don't think Philly cares where he goes (besides his own wishes), they will try to maximize his return because he likely won't sign elsewhere for a couple of years or most likely, just retires.

thedjpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:55 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Look at the UFA list. He will be one of the top 5 guys teams would want. For a contending team being able to pick up a 20+ min d-man for the playoff run would be huge.
If I am Philly, and I am out of the playoffs, I see if he will go. And then to increase the value, I would retain half his cap hit. Im sure teams would LOVE a 3.17 million dollar Timonen!!
I admit, I forgot teams could retain cap hit now. That will surely bump up the value of some of these rentals.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:08 PM
KingCanadain1976

Depending on how healthy the kings defense are at the deadline I can see philly west interested. Not sure what we would give up thou .

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:46 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Timonen/Redden-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Redden/Timonen-Polak

Extras: Russell, Cole

Now that would be ridiculous.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Tips Fedorov

You'd be lucky to get a 5th rounder.

Tips Fedorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:04 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnkrok View Post
You'd be lucky to get a 5th rounder.

Why? Care to explain?

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:06 PM
bobafettish*

what would the kings need to give, no 1sts.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post

Why? Care to explain?
Ok.

He will be 38 years old and has a full NMC . So there would only be a few teams he would waive to goto which would devalue the guy even further.

And he aint a first pairing anymore. His lateral foot speed is not what it used to be at all.

I aint suggesting a 5th rounder, but trying to pawn the sucker off so you can score FREE value off him before he becomes a fossilized UFA is also unrealistic to expect some great return.

I think hes worth a third realistically . So, instead of trying to convince the guy to waive his NMC, just do him a favor and keep him and let him finish his contract in peace.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Jray42

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Ok.

He will be 38 years old and has a full NMC . So there would only be a few teams he would waive to goto which would devalue the guy even further.

And he aint a first pairing anymore. His lateral foot speed is not what it used to be at all.

I aint suggesting a 5th rounder, but trying to pawn the sucker off so you can score FREE value off him before he becomes a fossilized UFA is also unrealistic to expect some great return.

I think hes worth a third realistically . So, instead of trying to convince the guy to waive his NMC, just do him a favor and keep him and let him finish his contract in peace.
Pavel Kubina fetched a 2nd last year. Pavel Kubina plyaed worse than Andreas Lilja.

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:33 PM
mdm815

Maybe Im biased as a Flyers fan, but everybody knows PMD(even on the decline) are at a premium at the deadline. You better believe there will be some contenders who would see themselves as a Timonen away from a cup. In a vacuum I dont think his value would be through the roof, but come deadline, if Timonen was really on the block, he would probably be the closest thing to a top D-Man available. Supply and demand, I think the return would be pretty solid.

mdm815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:04 AM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm815 View Post
Maybe Im biased as a Flyers fan, but everybody knows PMD(even on the decline) are at a premium at the deadline. You better believe there will be some contenders who would see themselves as a Timonen away from a cup. In a vacuum I dont think his value would be through the roof, but come deadline, if Timonen was really on the block, he would probably be the closest thing to a top D-Man available. Supply and demand, I think the return would be pretty solid.
Wisniewski got a 2nd and a 5th did he not?

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:34 AM
Norm MacDonald

He's probably worth what the Leafs got for Kaberle in 2011 (1st+top prospect+conditional pick). Timonen is better than Kaberle was then, but Kaberle was a bit younger and had re-signing potential.

Having said that, I doubt Flyers make a trade. Unless the team is completely out of the playoff race by the deadline, Holmgren won't be a seller.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:46 AM
Primary Assist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
We are terrible at drafting and developing D men and goalies. We know how to develop forwards. Holmgrem worries about Defense later
Worry about defense later??

Memo to the alleged GM in Philly: Nobody is going to give you their stud young defenseman. You have to draft and develop your own.

And they wonder why they haven't won a Cup in 38 years..

Primary Assist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:48 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
Pavel Kubina fetched a 2nd last year. Pavel Kubina plyaed worse than Andreas Lilja.
That's because Paul Holmgren was stupid enough to pay that much. The only one stupid enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Assist View Post

Memo to the alleged GM in Philly: Nobody is going to give you their stud young defenseman. You have to draft and develop your own.
That was the joke...

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:24 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Assist View Post

And they wonder why they haven't won a Cup in 38 years..
Of course. Over the last 20 years, the Flyers have had some stud defenseman: Chris Pronger, Kimmo Timonen and Eric Desjardins. All drafted by the Fly...oh wait.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote