HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

OHL ref suspended for tweet...

Old
01-30-2013, 05:22 PM
whlscout

vCash: 500
OHL ref suspended for tweet...

anyone know what he tweeted to get suspended for the rest of the season?

whlscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:31 PM
bcspirit

"Soo Saint Marie two words slim pickens #noteeth #hicktown #allfaties"

bcspirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:34 PM
whlscout

thx

lol...thx for the info...

whlscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:38 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Well.... that was smart on his part....

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:13 PM
IcemanTBI

Too bad he got suspended for the season.. would have LOVED to see him ref another game here in the Soo, where we would have given him some good ol' Sault Ste. Marie razzing!

IcemanTBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:10 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanTBI View Post
Too bad he got suspended for the season.. would have LOVED to see him ref another game here in the Soo, where we would have given him some good ol' Sault Ste. Marie razzing!
A better punishment could have been to only have him ref games there for the remainder of the season

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:34 AM
bidzey

is it a personal tweeter account, or is it affiliated with the OHL. Ya I know... not a nice thing to say, but if it's a personal account, what is this? have we become communist now? We can't have opinions?

Funny thing is when I was at the Soo mall I was babe watching while having my coffee, you know what? I think I saw 2 in 1 hour of watching. Am I going to get in trouble now because I said that?

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:15 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
is it a personal tweeter account, or is it affiliated with the OHL. Ya I know... not a nice thing to say, but if it's a personal account, what is this? have we become communist now? We can't have opinions?

Funny thing is when I was at the Soo mall I was babe watching while having my coffee, you know what? I think I saw 2 in 1 hour of watching. Am I going to get in trouble now because I said that?
It is a personal account, yes he is entitled to his own opinion but he should keep that personal. Social media is available for everyone to see. What he said was wrong, and he works for the OHL so it is a bad representation especially for a league official. He should have been suspended but full season and playoffs seems kind of harsh. He has to look for new opportunity for revenue starting now, if he hasn't already.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:23 AM
ottawah

Quote:

When you are a public figure representing your league it does matter. Referees have to be perfectly impartial and show respect for the players and cities they work in/with.

The fact is some jobs require more discretion than others. As an extreme example, the Prime Minister cannot behave like a construction worker (OK, maybe bad example ).

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:28 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Maybe a better punishment would have been a blind date in the Soo.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:06 AM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
It is a personal account, yes he is entitled to his own opinion but he should keep that personal. Social media is available for everyone to see. What he said was wrong, and he works for the OHL so it is a bad representation especially for a league official. He should have been suspended but full season and playoffs seems kind of harsh. He has to look for new opportunity for revenue starting now, if he hasn't already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
When you are a public figure representing your league it does matter. Referees have to be perfectly impartial and show respect for the players and cities they work in/with.

The fact is some jobs require more discretion than others. As an extreme example, the Prime Minister cannot behave like a construction worker (OK, maybe bad example ).
you both make good points, but an OHL ref is far from a Prime Minister or any other prominent figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Maybe a better punishment would have been a blind date in the Soo.
I don't know which discipline I would take... that a tough one

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:07 AM
BenchedGuy

The OHL has a social media policy in place. Its for teams, players, officials and anyone working within the OHL. Even if it is his personal twitter account he still has to abide by the policy.

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:20 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Kinda related in terms of refs being idiots on social media...USHL ref,Johnathan Morrison , last season...

Quote:
"@Scott, Why would I want to skate in CR when I can skate in Waterloo? You know, the original PartyTown, not RiderTown where their idea of a pregame is some strangely homo-erotic euro dance tune. Give me Buccaneer Arena/Young Arena or give me death."
The league's response? From head of officials Scott Brand himself...

Quote:
"Oh by the way then there something is wrong with the league - I was at the game, and brought the crew a beer - great game last night by the teams and the Officials did a great job. 5th goal by the Hawks puck was loose- I was standing in the zamboni end, also talked with Hilibrandt the CR goalie, met his housing parents- great people. Crap like this cheapens a great rival and a great game. I have been in this league 27 seasons, when our guys suck I will be the 1st in line to let everyone know, I am going to go ahead and head to waterloo now to watch America's Team- the Black Hawks play the Bucs- a 2 hour and 5 minute dump and chase fest since it 3 for 4 and 3 in 3 days for both teams. And if any CR fan or other hockey expert wants to apply for the RIC of the league- I encourage you to apply. Then I will go back to being a GM- maybe in CR- sell out the building every game and get rid of the Viking dancing YMCA dancers after each goal- serious WTF is that- no wonder the officials dont want to see goals- who wants to see that video. See you at clover leaf by 11 "

Yes, the league's response was, "no wonder the officials don't want to see goals" because a certain team plays a...eccentric...video/song after a goal. Oh and the head of officials describes (his favorite) team as "America's team"

Guess what? Nothing was done to the ref or head of officiating. In FACT, league spokesperson, Brian Werger's response was...

Quote:
This has been addressed. Although it was a private conversation between two people that was done in a joking manner, it is not the image that the USHL wants to portray. A mistake was made and the individuals involved acknowledge such and regret their error. Despite an intrusion on a private conversation, they understand that comments made in a social media platform can be misinterpreted from an outside view and they should not have put themselves in that position.

These individuals care deeply about the USHL and it is ridiculous that anyone would suggest there is any bias towards or against any USHL teams.

Again, the matter has been addressed and we now consider this matter closed.
The officials were stupid enough to have this conversation on Facebook and the league blames the fans for an "intrusion of privacy" and calls fans concerns "ridiculous". The USHL, folks.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:25 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Quote:

His job is to be impartial as a ref. By blasting a team/market, he's being anything but impartial and therefore the league clearly has the right to make a suspension.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote