HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Death to the Undertaker....The all purpose Fire McPhee thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2013, 08:45 PM
  #526
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,660
vCash: 500
*Cough*

Looking at next year's cap is pretty ugly. As it stands unless they use a compliance buyout or two I don't see much room for upgrades outside of maybe a top 4 LD. Ovechkin & Backstrom not being elite is a huge issue but so too are the contracts to Laich & Brouwer. Lack of chemistry is a killer and a hallmark of McPhee's teams.

Adding Forsberg could perhaps alleviate some of the concerns up front but McPhee has locked up a lot of mediocrity. Their cap management, roster construction and pro scouting leaves a lot to be desired.

Langway is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 08:48 PM
  #527
I Am Score*
---BradD---
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
*Cough*

Looking at next year's cap is pretty ugly. As it stands unless they use a compliance buyout or two I don't see much room for upgrades outside of maybe a top 4 LD. Ovechkin & Backstrom not being elite is a huge issue but so too are the contracts to Laich & Brouwer. Lack of chemistry is a killer and a hallmark of McPhee's teams.

Adding Forsberg could perhaps alleviate some of the concerns up front but McPhee has locked up a lot of mediocrity. Their cap management, roster construction and pro scouting leaves a lot to be desired.

They need to focus on the defense for now. You find a pair for Carlson and we're good with:

Alzner, Green
Pair, Carlson
Orlov, Kundratek

If you will. Forsberg will make an impact ASAP and Kuznetsov coming over I don't see an immediate need to solidify the top 6 in THIS off-season.

If you trade Holtby/Neuvirth you could get some value out of that. If you want to trade the high draft pick for an established player be my guest but the cap is going to hurt.

I Am Score* is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 08:49 PM
  #528
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,606
vCash: 500

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 08:50 PM
  #529
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
They need to focus on the defense for now. You find a pair for Carlson and we're good with:

Alzner, Green
Pair, Carlson
Orlov, Kundratek

If you will. Forsberg will make an impact ASAP and Kuznetsov coming over I don't see an immediate need to solidify the top 6 in THIS off-season.
If you trade Holtby/Neuvirth you could get some value out of that. If you want to trade the high draft pick for an established player be my guest but the cap is going to hurt.
Hopes and prayers....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 08:53 PM
  #530
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,525
vCash: 500
Fire Ovechkin and Backstrom...

Millhaus is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 08:59 PM
  #531
Ovechkins Wodka
Registered User
 
Ovechkins Wodka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: DC
Posts: 4,248
vCash: 500
if 20 some games into the season if we are still outside the top 8 I would be for purging the roster of everyone not on entry contract other than 8 19 74 52 27 and the goalies those 5 are the core find the right 20 players to fit around them.

Free up roster spots, collect late picks, and save cap space. Use the money on some FA or trades and let the prospects play over the overpaid vets.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:03 PM
  #532
Liberati0n
Full Hammock
 
Liberati0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,013
vCash: 50
Backstrom is going to be just fine.

Liberati0n is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:05 PM
  #533
I Am Score*
---BradD---
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Hopes and prayers....
If you're willing to make a bet on it, that's the place to do it haha.

I expect them to be both at least Top 6 or bust at this point.

I Am Score* is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:12 PM
  #534
Carlzner
Who's Zed?
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,497
vCash: 500
All Purpose Ovechkin thread? Or is it too soon.

Carlzner is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:17 PM
  #535
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
If you're willing to make a bet on it, that's the place to do it haha.

I expect them to be both at least Top 6 or bust at this point.

Bet? What for? Running a business on hopes and prayers isn't that smart...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:19 PM
  #536
I Am Score*
---BradD---
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Bet? What for? Running a business on hopes and prayers isn't that smart...
That's how every single NHL franchise operates. You draft guys and hope they can fill out to be good or great players.

There is nothing different than this and other situations. We've got two of the hottest prospects in the whole league right now, they should be Top 6 forwards or they will be considered "underachieving"

That's not hopes and prayers.

I Am Score* is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:22 PM
  #537
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
That's how every single NHL franchise operates. You draft guys and hope they can fill out to be good or great players.

There is nothing different than this and other situations. We've got two of the hottest prospects in the whole league right now, they should be Top 6 forwards or they will be considered "underachieving"

That's not hopes and prayers.
You just threw the towel in on this season by suggesting the top 6 can wait to be solidified by two players who have yet to sniff the NHL much make an impact in the top 6. Those are hopes and prayers until these guys are proven top 6 players. To expect they'll come in and save the day right away is expecting too much.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:24 PM
  #538
I Am Score*
---BradD---
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
You just threw the towel in on this season by suggesting the top 6 can wait to be solidified by two players who have yet to sniff the NHL much make an impact in the top 6.
That's not what I said at all.

I said in the OFFSEASON there shouldn't be alot of moves made on the Top 6 forwards instead of the defense.

I Am Score* is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:25 PM
  #539
I Am Score*
---BradD---
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
They need to focus on the defense for now. You find a pair for Carlson and we're good with:

I don't see an immediate need to solidify the top 6 in THIS off-season.
This ^^

I Am Score* is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:27 PM
  #540
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,690
vCash: 500
Did you just quote yourself and agree with...yourself?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:27 PM
  #541
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
*Cough*

Looking at next year's cap is pretty ugly. As it stands unless they use a compliance buyout or two I don't see much room for upgrades outside of maybe a top 4 LD. Ovechkin & Backstrom not being elite is a huge issue but so too are the contracts to Laich & Brouwer. Lack of chemistry is a killer and a hallmark of McPhee's teams.

Adding Forsberg could perhaps alleviate some of the concerns up front but McPhee has locked up a lot of mediocrity. Their cap management, roster construction and pro scouting leaves a lot to be desired.
I don't think it's too bad. Poti, Hamrlik and Erskine expire. Schultz can be amnestied. Laich probably has trade value, as does Brouwer and perhaps even Ward could fetch around a 3rd from a team like Vancouver. Get rid of all those guys minus either Ward or Brouwer and you're looking at a ton of cap space. If Green's season is any good he could probably be traded in a similar fashion as Burns, maybe not as high a return.

Halpysback is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:29 PM
  #542
I Am Score*
---BradD---
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Did you just quote yourself and agree with...yourself?
Posted reference to my original post.

If you're going to spend money on forwards which they should, spread it out. If you focus alot of money on one player, let it be a defenseman.

I Am Score* is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:38 PM
  #543
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,690
vCash: 500
I really don't see the cap issues:

FORWARDS
Alex Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Troy Brouwer ($3.667m)
Mathieu Perreault ($1.050m) / Marcus Johansson ($1.500m) / Filip Forsberg ($1.492m)
Jason Chimera ($1.750m) / Brooks Laich ($4.500m) / Joel Ward ($3.000m)
Matt Hendricks ($0.825m) / Jay Beagle ($0.900m) / Joey Crabb ($0.950m)
Eric Fehr ($0.600m)
DEFENSEMEN
Mike Green ($6.083m) / John Carlson ($3.967m)
Jeff Schultz ($2.750m) / Karl Alzner ($3.000m)
Dmitry Orlov ($0.900m) / Cameron Schilling ($1.775m)
John Erskine ($1.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Braden Holtby ($1.150m)
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,746,795; BONUSES: $1,710,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $7,263,205

That's a full roster. Dump Schultz and you need a defenseman and likely at least one top-6 forward upgrade for $10M. Very doable.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:59 PM
  #544
I Am Score*
---BradD---
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
I think that's pushing it close but you could be right.

I just despise how Laich and Brouwer are getting that kind of money. There aren't any immediate guys that jump out at you for a Top 6 spot other than Ryane Clowe and Corey Perry although Perry will probably be resigned.

Defenseman there are a few great names.

I Am Score* is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:02 PM
  #545
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I don't think it's too bad. Poti, Hamrlik and Erskine expire. Schultz can be amnestied. Laich probably has trade value, as does Brouwer and perhaps even Ward could fetch around a 3rd from a team like Vancouver. Get rid of all those guys minus either Ward or Brouwer and you're looking at a ton of cap space. If Green's season is any good he could probably be traded in a similar fashion as Burns, maybe not as high a return.
That suggests a degree of activity I'm not sure I would be comfortable with McPhee making. He's had enough rebuilds. It's also an admission that his roster was considerably flawed. I guess one could chalk it up to system fits but that's hard to buy up front.

One top six forward--if it's extending Ribeiro or not--isn't much of a step forward in the makeup of the top six. It would put much on Forsberg and, I suppose if he's still around, Johansson to be pretty reliable. Or systems familiarity making a difference but the hockey sense of this group is very frustrating regardless of system. That's the nucleus McPhee has constructed.

Langway is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:06 PM
  #546
I Am Score*
---BradD---
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
That suggests a degree of activity I'm not sure I would be comfortable with McPhee making. He's had enough rebuilds. It's also an admission that his roster was considerably flawed. I guess one could chalk it up to system fits but that's hard to buy up front.

One top six forward--if it's extending Ribeiro or not--isn't much of a step forward in the makeup of the top six. It would put much on Forsberg and, I suppose if he's still around, Johansson to be pretty reliable. Or systems familiarity making a difference but the hockey sense of this group is very frustrating regardless of system. That's the nucleus McPhee has constructed.
Basically it's a "we're going to get the best out of our Top 6" and then when they stop producing, you trade them away.

Now that you have no Top 6, you rely on your star players to get it done across the board. When they don't get it done, you plug the holes on the back end and hope it works.

When that doesn't work you hire a new coach, preferably a Washington Capitals alumni.


Recycle.

I Am Score* is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:10 PM
  #547
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
That suggests a degree of activity I'm not sure I would be comfortable with McPhee making. He's had enough rebuilds. It's also an admission that his roster was considerably flawed. I guess one could chalk it up to system fits but that's hard to buy up front.

One top six forward--if it's extending Ribeiro or not--isn't much of a step forward in the makeup of the top six. It would put much on Forsberg and, I suppose if he's still around, Johansson to be pretty reliable. Or systems familiarity making a difference but the hockey sense of this group is very frustrating regardless of system. That's the nucleus McPhee has constructed.
Oh, if we keep Schultz around and don't add a legitimate top 4 (hello Laddy Smid) to the defense and roll with Forsberg and Johansson as the great offensive hope for next season we're completely and utterly screwed. I'd almost hope Ovy requests a trade at that point just to see that it's getting to him and he still wants to win.

I'd hope for us to bring in 5-6 UFAs in addition to Forsberg (depending on whether we resign Ribeiro or not). This class is looking ridiculous. If McPhee hasn't figured out that to win a cup you need to stack every position as much as humanly possible now, he never will.

Hopefully we tank so bad we get both MacKinnon/Jones/Barkov and Brian Burke. Not too likely though.

Halpysback is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:18 PM
  #548
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,206
vCash: 500
McPhee should have been gone after the Montreal debacle at the latest.

He is talented at acquiring valuable assets but is feeble at building chemistry.

McPhee is a good guy. I wanted him to succeed but he didn't. And it is long past time to move on from him.

We need a radical GM. But Ted is not at all radical so I expect McPhee will stay or else Ted will bring in a mediocrity.

Atlas is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:23 PM
  #549
Liberati0n
Full Hammock
 
Liberati0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,013
vCash: 50
**** Brian Burke. I've always said the scariest thing imaginable for this team is Ted Leonsis as the man in charge of picking a new GM. I guess Dick Patrick has a major role (probably bad too) but the decision is ultimately Ted's. Burke would actually probably be a gigantic improvement over whomever that moron would end up wanting.

Liberati0n is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:29 PM
  #550
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,811
vCash: 500
What's wrong with Burke?

He can get players signed. If we had him I'd imagine we'd be a frontrunner for Perry should he test the open market. He's fairly solid on trades too.

His tenure in Toronto was moronic but we're a whole lot closer to Anaheim 2003. I'd wouldn't want him near a rebuild but I'd trust him with what we have.

He doesn't draft well and he's stubborn about the coach, but at least he'd get someone with prior head coaching experience.

This is his dream offseason. Perry, Clowe, Smid, Penner, you name it.

Sure he's a ****** but if he can win us a cup I don't care.

Halpysback is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.