HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais Discussion (Slow Start & Contact Talk)

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The problem is with DD it wasn't smart coaching, because the wing depth beyond that line was so terrible that by putting all our offense on one line we relied on them for virtually everything, and they weren't quite good enough for that. .
Agreed that it wasn't necessarily what was best for the team. It was great for Desharnais, Cole and Pacioretty though.

It's unfortunate that we can't count on that line again early in the season. Now that we have other lines that seem to be clicking somewhat decently, it would be great to have our killer line back. I don't see our #3 line sustaining us all season.

I'm rooting for Desharnais. I truly am. I just can't help but feel his production from last year is going to be hard to match. Like everyone else, I know all his stats, I know he's dominated almost everywhere he's been. I just don't see him working out long term for us. I hope I am wrong.

It's not like he's not working for it. He's due, and if he is producing it will make our team that much better.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I only deleted the oarts addressed to other posters.

And yes, pacioretty's fourteen goals in thirty srven games counts for a lot.

But... Nobody considers pacioretty a franchise player... Price is our only franchise player now.
Pacioretty pre-Chara was a big reason why the Habs that year even made the playoffs. From Jan 21st to March 8th:

20 games
11 goals
6 assists
17 points

Thinking about what could have been that season still pisses me off.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Agreed that it wasn't necessarily what was best for the team. It was great for Desharnais though.

It's unfortunate that we can't count on that line again early in the season. Now that we have other lines that seem to be clicking somewhat decently, it would be great to have our killer line back. I don't see our #3 line sustaining us all season.

I'm rooting for Desharnais. I truly am. I just can't help but feel his production from last year is going to be hard to match. Like everyone else, I know all his stats, I know he's dominated almost everywhere he's been. I just don't see him working out long term for us. I hope I am wrong.

It's not like he's not working for it. He's due, and if he is producing it will make our team that much better.
I agree with this, but I'm skeptical Desharnais can be a possession pushing, two way center without both of his wingers carrying much of the load, and that's why I'd like to try him on the wing. Galchenyuk can put up points this year..but by effectively playing an even more sheltered version of DD's role last year. I don't think we can afford to carry two lines like that.

Of course I wouldn't rule him out yet, but if Gally keeps it up, we might be better off with an Eller-centered more traditional third line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Pacioretty pre-Chara was a big reason why the Habs that year even made the playoffs. From Jan 21st to March 8th:

20 games
11 goals
6 assists
17 points

Thinking about what could have been that season still pisses me off.
That was all Gomez.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:18 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
That was all Gomez.
Clearly it was. 3 shots in 3 games!!! He's on fire.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Shabutie

I've been a firm believer that in order for Desharnais to have success in this league, he will need to be converted to the wing. Not many great small centers out there because they're too easy to move and neutralize in front of the net. On the wing, he'd have more time and space to set up.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Seriously, last year with his 60 points. I honestly wish he had about 300 shots and 30 points instead because shots are what count.

Maybe we'll be lucky and when pacioretty comes back he'll have a lot of shots! I hope his penchant to score goals doesn't get in the way of him getting 2-3 quality rebounds on a shift because shots matter so much.

Jokes aside, shots do matter but context does too. Are we seriously worried a playmaker has a low shot total after 5 NHL games???

Low...VERY LOW.
Actually too low for ANY players playing that kind of minutes

It's an indicator.

Just like his minus 1 is while all his teams are in the plus.
just like the fact the players with him don't scores
Just like his three minor penalties, leading the team behind White

All those are indicators and put them togther and it's obvious something is not working right!!!

Old
01-30-2013, 04:47 PM
odishabs

If MB could somehow swing a deal with his former team for David Bolland. This may take centering a deal around DD. It would lay a framework for a player who has a distinguished role. Here me out. KEEP IN MY MIND THIS IS AN IDEA OF WHAT NEXT SEASONS LINEUP WOULD LOOK LIKE.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta

Moen/Eller - Bolland - Cole

Prust - Bournival/UFA - White

Markov - Emelin

Gorges - Subban

Tinordi - Diaz

Old
01-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Don't you know, Jan Bulis was our second best player in 2002-2003? 160 shots in 82 games!!! Whose Koivu? 147 shots? PFFT!!

Old
01-30-2013, 06:10 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
You try and discredit Gomez's play when he did well with Pacioretty but then you turn around and say Desharnais has everything to do with Pacioretty's performance.

Last edited by Bad Natey: 01-30-2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: removed flaming
Old
01-30-2013, 07:05 PM
DAChampion

Pacioretty wad good with gomez and good with desharnais. He is the real deal.

People should stop saying pac had a career season last year... We are not sure what kind of career he is going to have.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:24 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
You try and discredit Gomez's play when he did well with Pacioretty but then you turn around and say Desharnais has everything to do with Pacioretty's performance.
I said this?

Old
01-30-2013, 08:41 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
If MB could somehow swing a deal with his former team for David Bolland. This may take centering a deal around DD. It would lay a framework for a player who has a distinguished role. Here me out. KEEP IN MY MIND THIS IS AN IDEA OF WHAT NEXT SEASONS LINEUP WOULD LOOK LIKE.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta

Moen/Eller - Bolland - Cole

Prust - Bournival/UFA - White

Markov - Emelin

Gorges - Subban

Tinordi - Diaz
Considering who's in charge of players personnel in Chicago and what he gave to bring Lars Eller in Montreal.... Wouldn't Eller be a MUCH BETTER TRADE CHIP to bring in Bolland?

Old
01-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Lucky Luke

Pretty tough for DD to get it going when one of his wingers is in a hospital bed and the other takes 12 games to get started.

Last edited by Lucky Luke: 01-30-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Desharnais had a decent/good 1st period: a nice defensive play, he won a large chunk of his faceoffs and he set up Cole nicely. Eller was invisible during the first.

Therrien gave Desharnais and Cole a new winger to start the 2nd: Moen. In one shift, Moen showed more hustle than Eller in the 2 previous games. While waiting for Pacioretty, Moen – Desharnais – Cole may provide us with a balanced contribution.

Eller was back on LW and Eller- Desharnais – Cole spent most of their ice time in Ottawa’s zone. They played a good 3rd period, enough for me to hesitate between Moen and Eller as this line LW for the next game. Based on their play in the 3rd, I would go, again, with Eller – Desharnais – Cole. One thing is sure: Subban’s return will help the even strength play of our 2nd and 3rd line.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Et le But

He wasn't that bad. Not good, but if Cole wasn't terrible today he might have been effective. Him and Eller picked it up in the third. He was not good at all on the PP though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke View Post
Pretty tough for DD to get it going when one of this wingers is in a hospital bed and the other takes 12 games to get started.
The only problem is, if he's that dependent on Pacioretty and Cole, he's probably not someone you want to build around long term.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Probably DD's best game of the season so far, but the bottom line is he was still pointless and -2.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Man, at this pace, I'm starting to doubt DD will make it in Team Canada...

Old
01-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Shaby23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Probably DD's best game of the season so far, but the bottom line is he was still pointless and -2.
I agree. But he's gonna have to step it up soon. We gonna need our 1st line ( well if we can still call it our 1st) to produce because our PP won't score every nights.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:18 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
I agree. But he's gonna have to step it up soon. We gonna need our 1st line ( well if we can still call it our 1st) to produce because our PP won't score every nights.
Calling it our 1st line was our problem right from the start, and without MaxPac (its strongest part), it certainly isn't close to being one.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:20 PM
charlie

I'm not sure but did DD play on a bigger ice surface overseas?
Is that maybe part of the slow transition?

Old
01-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Hugo Sham

I'm a DD detractor and there's no question the hate he's getting now is partly because of the mulligan he's getting by certain ahem, media sources.
He had a good year last year but let's be real here, he benefited from the heavy lifting of Cole and Pacioretty too. When Pleks played with Cole and pacioretty in Vancouver he had a terrific game.

we were also a one line team last year with plekanecs getting all defensive shutdown assignments while his wingers stank or were injured.

Thus DD has sheltered minutes, especially at home. The alarm bells for me concerning desharnais are much the same ones I have with gomez, gionta and cammalleri. You can't have too many small guys (without incredible skills) playing top pairing minutes. Back to DD - the alarm bells were on the road where he was completely neutralized most of the time playing head to head vs 'top line' centers. and by neutralized i mean out muscled, over matched etc...

just like habs we're not going to win puck battles AND consistently win games with a top line of 5'10 players - gio/pleks/cammy...they aren't going to win with a 5'7 center who is easily over matched physically. At least pleks is bigger, stronger and plays a two way game.

Chucky at 6'2 205 will be a fine edition to line 2 (and 1 eventually) but pleks/DD can't be the centers on 2nd/3rd lines

Old
01-30-2013, 09:39 PM
DAChampion

Desharnais may be a top 6 winger at the nhl level... But he is not a top 6 center.

We shiukd try him on the wing... He might be very good there.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:45 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Desharnais may be a top 6 winger at the nhl level... But he is not a top 6 center.

We shiukd try him on the wing... He might be very good there.
again, we're back to the problems with lack of size. where do you play him? he'll need a big center or winger because he's not big enough, fast enough or strong enough to win any puck battles down low. Don't get me wrong - great stick and skill but cannot play a north south game. so what do you do? flip him and Eller on same line?

Old
01-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Et le But

The size issue is a red herring to some degree. Yes size matters to some extent, but it goes beyond height. You don't see Gionta or Boullion getting pushed around out there the way Desharnais does, in fact Gionta would probably shelter DD better than say, Beniot Pouliot. Because they have heavier frames.

The team had no probably pushing through a tall Jets squad because that team didn't really have much strength relative to its height.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:29 PM
hockeyfan2k11

I'll say what I said last year. He needs to be moved.

Closed Thread