HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo Signs with Canucks

Old
06-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pickles
You've got it perfectly. The more important role, the bigger the disapointment if he doesn't perform. Bigger risk.

The sky will not fall if Ovechkin doesn't go to the Conference Finals. It will if Luongo doesn't.

A better example for you would be Cujo and Sundin. How many Leaf fans still love Mats as opposed to Cujo, were he still in Toronto?

Ovechkin is easily replacable as a top winger, right? I think I see an Ovechkin growing on a tree over there...
Now that's just funny.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 07:43 PM
Takumi3000

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7
Thats not my opinion, at all. I was using that as an example to prove a point.
To prove what point? One or 2 players do not make a "team".

Takumi3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 07:48 PM
Takumi3000

Quote:
Thats not my opinion, at all. I was using that as an example to prove a point.
And what point are you trying to prove? That one player is better than the other from 2 different teams so that team should be better? A "TEAM" means more than one player................

So let me ask you this: Where is Floridas Lecavelier and St. Louis? Thats right Florida doesnt have that.

Also how is it not an opinion that Jokinen is better or worse than Richards? Richards has a Stanley cup and Conne Smythe under his belt. What does Jokinen have?

Good points your trying to argue with.....

Takumi3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 07:48 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Don't even compare Turco to Luongo...whoever did. That's comical.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi3000
And what point are you trying to prove? That one player is better than the other from 2 different teams so that team should be better? A "TEAM" means more than one player................

So let me ask you this: Where is Floridas Lecavelier and St. Louis? Thats right Florida doesnt have that.

Also how is it not an opinion that Jokinen is better or worse than Richards? Richards has a Stanley cup and Conne Smythe under his belt. What does Jokinen have?

Good points your trying to argue with.....
How about you actually READ his post and then try to answer. It's not that hard to figure out what he's talking about.

06-29-2006, 08:04 PM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Id be happy to have Luongo for 4 years at 6.8.
id would be truly po'ed if i had Brad Richards for 8.

It all starts and ends with the goalie.
OK team with great goaltending can get you to the finals.
Great team with OK goaltending gets you a front row seat to watch the last couple of rounds.
Believe me as a Sens fan, i know.

If you have the chance to get one of the top few goalies in the league you have to do it. you can skimp a little bit elsewhere, dont skimp on your goalie.
every team has at least one player making that kind of salary, if you are lucky enough that your truly elite player is the goalie then its really a no brainer.

Once you get one of these guys you are set at the most important position in the game. everyone on the team plays with more confidence when someone like that is holding the fort, how much is that worth?

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Zaddik

Send a message via MSN to Zaddik
Quote:
No, Luongo is not worth it because he has not gotten his team to the playoffs. And if you are someone who thinks he did not have a team in front of him, there are many people on this board that think Olli Jokinen is better than Brad Richards. But that is a different argument for a different day.

My main beef with this signing is this. Approximately one month ago, when Brad Richards (last Conn Smythe winner at the time) signed his deal, this was outrage on this board, and many of the team boards all had Jay Feaster hate threads. So when I saw this signing, I assumed there would be just as much outrage. Unfortunately, I was mistaken. How you can give that kind of deal to a player who has never even gotten his team to the playoffs is beyond me. Letís not forget, a majority of HF consider the Southeast division to be a cakewalk, so what was the problem? 7.8 for a Conn Smythe winner=outrage, while 6.8 for a player who, while good, has yet to get the job done=good signing???

Thatís just goofy.

i agree with this whole heartedly, alot of the canuck fans i suspect see the brand recognition instead of luongo's achievements.

Zaddik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Agent007

guys lets not forget he hasnt been to happy in florida for the past couple of seasons as well especially last season. He is here in vancouver and knows this team is dedicated to winning and should be able to put a good team infront of him now its his job to make that good team into a great team.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 08:55 PM
futurcorerock

I bet Luongo signed for more than a year to spite Keenan.

Something inside of me thinks that there's bad blood between the two

futurcorerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 09:10 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
The Calgary Flames seem to fare very well with the contributions of mostly one player.

Quote:
That is an opinion, but if you go back and read what I posted, it is not the opinion I gave. I stated that there are people on this site (not me) who think Jokenin is better than Richards. (<---Not my opinion)

Back on topic, my point was very simple, Jay Feaster was called names I have never heard of before the day he signed Conn Smythe winner Richards. I expected the same outrage today with this signing. Luongo does not have the hardware that Richards has, and I believe he is being overpaid.

What is going to happen in Carolina the first time Cam Ward, who has a Conn Smythe and a cup on his resume, needs a new contract?

gobolt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 09:11 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot
Id be happy to have Luongo for 4 years at 6.8.
id would be truly po'ed if i had Brad Richards for 8.

It all starts and ends with the goalie.
OK team with great goaltending can get you to the finals.
Great team with OK goaltending gets you a front row seat to watch the last couple of rounds.
Believe me as a Sens fan, i know.

If you have the chance to get one of the top few goalies in the league you have to do it. you can skimp a little bit elsewhere, dont skimp on your goalie.
every team has at least one player making that kind of salary, if you are lucky enough that your truly elite player is the goalie then its really a no brainer.

Once you get one of these guys you are set at the most important position in the game. everyone on the team plays with more confidence when someone like that is holding the fort, how much is that worth?
and this is the reason why his contract doesn't concern me.

I've been following the canucks since the late 70s... basically around the time that Maniago's time there was ending leading to Hanlon, then Brodeur... when we got Brodeur we had a goalie that could steal us games... although he only really had a couple years where he was at the top of his game... after him we had McLean, who after a few years of development, was one of the league's best - again for a couple year window.

Since then, we've had a revolving door of guys that could never measure up... in 30 years of watching this team, I can only remember having 2 goalies that were actually good enough to win us key games.

so you can imagine how much I've wanted this team to get a bonifide elite goalie. And Luongo is easily the most talented goalie this organization has ever had!

With Naslund, Morrison, the Sedins, Ohlund and Salo all returning, with Luongo, I'm sure we can put a good enough team to get the playoffs... once there, that's when a guy like Luongo will earn his contract.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 09:16 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
The Calgary Flames seem to fare very well with the contributions of mostly one player.
I'll easily admit Kiprusoff is better than Luongo. But I don't see what this has to do with throwing this much money at Luongo?

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 09:18 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
I'll easily admit Kiprusoff is better than Luongo. But I don't see what this has to do with throwing this much money at Luongo?
I was responding to his point that one player does not make a team.

gobolt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

A skater doesn't. A goaltender can. Is Luongo in this category? Unsure, but he's close.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Every team has their star players and they are mainly forwards over defecemen and goalies because that position has the most slots to fill. So which position is harder to come by?
I'm not sure what people's definition of elite forwards and great goaltenders are on these boards. Every team has an elite forward? When did this happen?...

As well, the comparison was between elite forwards and great goaltenders. I never said elite forwards and elite goaltenders.

I'm talking servicable goaltenders that can perform well enough in the playoffs to go far. You mean to tell me that they're scarce? Could have fooled me, as some teams have them coming out the ***.

I'll re-phrase the question for you guys: who's harder to replace, Ovechkin or Giguere?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 10:46 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:

I'll re-phrase the question for you guys: who's harder to replace, Ovechkin or Giguere?
While we're re-phrasing questions, I'll re-phrase yours. Who's harder to replace: Kiprusoff or Drury?

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by battle axe
While we're re-phrasing questions, I'll re-phrase yours. Who's harder to replace: Kiprusoff or Drury?
Fair enough.

But the fact remains we saw 4 fresh faces in goal in the Conference finals.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 11:44 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
No, Luongo is not worth it because he has not gotten his team to the playoffs. And if you are someone who thinks he did not have a team in front of him, there are many people on this board that think Olli Jokinen is better than Brad Richards. But that is a different argument for a different day.

My main beef with this signing is this. Approximately one month ago, when Brad Richards (last Conn Smythe winner at the time) signed his deal, this was outrage on this board, and many of the team boards all had Jay Feaster hate threads. So when I saw this signing, I assumed there would be just as much outrage. Unfortunately, I was mistaken. How you can give that kind of deal to a player who has never even gotten his team to the playoffs is beyond me. Letís not forget, a majority of HF consider the Southeast division to be a cakewalk, so what was the problem? 7.8 for a Conn Smythe winner=outrage, while 6.8 for a player who, while good, has yet to get the job done=good signing???

Thatís just goofy.
Well, you're saying he hasn't brought his team to the playoffs, fair enough, but lots of other peopleare just simply saying he hasn't done anything in the playoffs yet. And personally I'm not overly happy with the deal. I was thinking we'd trade Bertuzzi for a lesser top 6 guy like say Mark Bell, along with prospects and/or picks, then use the money saved to fill out our bottom 6 and defense with a few more quality players. Now we got a guy who's more expensive than Bertuzzi, and an additional hole on our first line RW to fill. Being a Canuck fan though I'm used to having average goaltending, so I'll just have to see how this new look turns out.

That being said, while the price is high, it is not a bad signing. It's simply what it was going to take to get him signed long term. Rather than Brad Richards, its much more similar to the Pronger trade and signing by Edmonton last year. When you make a huge trade for a big name player with 1 year left before free agency, you don't play hardall with him. You know what his asking price is going to be before you trade for him, so when you give up major assets to get him you butter em up and give them what they want, make em happy. Otherwise you're looking at a disaster if the player doesn't sign long term and leaves at the end of the season, or even worse, he holds out.

And to be fair to Luongo, while great goalies can lead their teams to the playoffs, all those teams have one thing in common, they play defensive hockey! Show me a goalie in the modern era who gets shelled with 40 shots a game that has lead his team into the playoffs. That's just superhuman.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 12:45 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Fair enough.

All of whom were playing excellent hockey. If anything, your example proves that goaltending is as important as ever.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 02:51 AM
AgentNaslund*

thank everyone for their input. I like to thank the fans who are speaking the truth. In a non biased oppionon, and think Luongo will help this team alot.

Its really funny too see how so many people here is trying to make us feel bad about our team, trying to discourage us, about the team,

all im gonna say is you guys are full of ****. We are not signing a goalie baseed on his stats, we are signing him based his skill level. He is reconized as one of the best goalies in the world, thats why its that high. Cloutier has a better record then Luongo has down, and he only makes 2.5 million, not based on stats, but based on skill level.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 03:52 AM
fullclip
Prepare to die

It seems to me the consensus on HF about Luongo took a negative turn as soon as he was traded to the Canucks

fullclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 04:17 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Fair enough.

And the entire Edmonton roster had never won a cup. Staal is a fresh face, or was until his post-season. Buffalo was loaded with non-big name forwards. Anaheim relied heavily on youth up front and the surprise rise of Andy MacDonald.

There will always be surprises, but for a GM to rely on the idea that someone will emerge is shear lunacy.

06-30-2006, 08:12 AM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt
All of whom were playing excellent hockey. If anything, your example proves that goaltending is as important as ever.
And get prepared to see another one next season.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 09:11 AM
goalie311

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave
That's alot of money for someone who has yet to play a single NHL playoff game.

I'm sure it'll work out, but I would laugh so hard if he ends up sucking. I don't think ANY goalie should be making more than Brodeur.
Yeah, 'cause Cam Ward, Jussi Maarkanen, Ryan Miller Vesa Toskala, Ilya Bryzgalov all had tons of experience before these last playoffs too.
Look, everyone has to start somewhere - unfortunately Luongo's hasn't had the opportunity yet, but he's shown to be an amazing goalie - hence, he's being paid like one.

And there are SEVERAL goalies paid ahead of Brodeur: Nabokov, Theodore, Turco, Khabibulin - Brodeur signed for what he felt he was worth at that time, but the market gets hotter every year, so the price goes up.

goalie311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 03:40 PM
espo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walzy
that's pretty much the same Lecavalier gets
Yep.And i think i'm with you in thinking he does'nt deserve it(Lecavalier).

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote