Notices

Mikael Granlund IV

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 10:27 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

vCash: 500
I think after he was boarded he played better for whatever reason . He also looked like he was very slowly developing some chemistry with his line mates.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:31 PM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
2. His main problem is that he needs to move his feet. Slowing down the game may have worked in Finland with the big ice, but in the NHL, all it does is allow the defense to close in on your.
this. his plays are making exactly opposite effect than usually, he needs more space or change his game totally. also, he would be much more productive in different kind of team. hope they wont give up, points will come.

Last edited by behemolari: 01-30-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 10:31 PM
bear1

vCash: 716
He should have a lot of energy he spent alot of time laying on the ice last night.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:41 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
I think after he was boarded he played better for whatever reason . He also looked like he was very slowly developing some chemistry with his line mates.
I think it gave him confidence that the refs were actually going to give him a call finally. He's been interfered with plenty this season but never got the call, and it may have made him more tentative. Tom Reid mentioned in the Red Wings game how the Refs weren't giving him the benefit of the doubt yet.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Sportsfan1

I didn't think after the 1st period he was as bad as Russo was on him for. Certainly a stronger game from his line tonight then the last 3 games, earned chance to stay around for a while.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:55 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
I didn't think after the 1st period he was as bad as Russo was on him for. Certainly a stronger game from his line tonight then the last 3 games, earned chance to stay around for a while.
Granlund was solid all game long, was rewarded with icetime late in the 3rd unlike the previous two games. Yeo was clearly happy with the improvement as well.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:58 PM
Mumbler*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Granlund was solid all game long, was rewarded with icetime late in the 3rd unlike the previous two games. Yeo was clearly happy with the improvement as well.
OR, giving him the chance to prove he's not ready.

As I've said, he stays in the NHL until he retires or is proven he is a floater that cannot adapt. I'm hoping it the retires at a .60+ ppg.

Stop watching the game... be the game man!

Old
01-30-2013, 11:03 PM
Dampland

vCash: 50
Too bad Zucker isn't a center we could send Granny back to the Aeros and replace him with Zuckz.

Give Granlund some more time in the AHL to learn the North American style. Because right now thru 6 games I've seen very little offense generated by him. THus far I would give him a C-/D+ grade. But then again, I never expected near as much from him as most of you folks who expected him to waltz right in and put in 20g 30a in a 48 game rookie year.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:15 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

I thought Granlund looked better this game. A few mistakes, but that is to be expected. He had moments where he seemed to be feeling confident, and it definately showed in his play(in a good way).

Old
01-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Mumbler*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
I thought Granlund looked better this game. A few mistakes, but that is to be expected. He had moments where he seemed to be feeling confident, and it definately showed in his play(in a good way).
If by better you mean a carless soft dump 3 times into the opposing D that lead to rushes by the hawks your spot on. imo.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:24 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbler View Post
If by better you mean a carless soft dump 3 times into the opposing D that lead to rushes by the hawks your spot on. imo.
That would be one of the 10 or so mistakes he made, and no, I was not happy with that...

While we're on it, he needs to glue that damned stick to his freakin hands.

But, he did show signs of improvement. He really looks to me like a fish out of water, but he'll get there. He's not ********, he's getting as much help as anyone could ever ask for, we just need to give him some slack and be patient.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Mumbler*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
That would be one of the 10 or so mistakes he made, and no, I was not happy with that...

While we're on it, he needs to glue that damned stick to his freakin hands.

But, he did show signs of improvement. He really looks to me like a fish out of water, but he'll get there. He's not ********, he's getting as much help as anyone could ever ask for, we just need to give him some slack and be patient.
Totally agree. People thinking he's going to be a 40 pnt guy this season are on crack.

I personally think he will get there... but for all the bashing on Cullen and Seto people should realize at this time, they are forced to play with a over his head 2C.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:06 AM
toewsintangibles

Half a PPG as a rookie playing with plugs. Sounds about right to me.. what the hell were you actually expecting?

Old
01-31-2013, 04:03 AM
forthewild

so watching granlund still adapting and how people on here were all gushing about finally having a #1 center, just have to ask, do you appreciate Koivu more because he actually stays upright most of the time.

I think what Granlund needs to do is the opposite of what he's done as a playmaker, he needs to start throwing the puck on net every chance he gets, just throw the puck on net and let Seto or whoever crash.
I think one of his problems is he's trying to make a cute pass, he's trying to make that perfect pass and he doesn't have a parise or heater to take up space, so what he needs to do is lob every freaking puck on net he can to get dman to back up a bit.

he should be good tho, Yeo using him late in the game today showed that, also his skating isn't nearly an issue people were claiming it to be, ( i might have been one of those people) but he does need to keep his feet moving all the time.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:21 AM
Aapo

vCash: 100
Not liking the idea to send Granlund back to AHL yet, his future is too important, could absolutely destroy his self confidence. He needs to feel that he belongs in the NHL which he isn't learning by returning to AHL with the feeling that his NHL performance was a failure. The fact that we have great talent in the AHL shouldn't push the decision to send him down earlier than what would have been the case otherwise!

Old
01-31-2013, 04:43 AM
Finnished

I think the biggest mistake Granlund has made was to stay in Finland last season. In my opinion he should have gone to AHL a few years ago because FEL didn't offer him anything new. He could have escaped from Finnish media and get used to northern American way of playing hockey.
He wasn't very effective at the end of last season either and I could see the frustration in him I think it all started in the WJC when he failed that penalty shot.. I still think he'll be a good player but most Finnish people have had ridiculously high expectations to say the least

Old
01-31-2013, 05:33 AM
Henri M

Anyone entertaining the idea that Granlund will be sent down to the AHL should just drop it right away, because that is not going to happen, unless Granlund has 4-5 points all together midway in the season.

It was pretty clear that Yeo regards him as a valuable asset for the team, and such is willing to give him time to adapt. And as long as he gets assists and creates a few goal scoring opportunities for his team mates each game, he is not going to be going down to the AHL anytime soon.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:59 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
I thought he played better last night than he had the couple of games previous....let's just hope he can build on that and continue to improve.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:06 AM
hirawl
Used Register

He's going to be just fine. No, he's going to be more than just fine even this season. He is an exceptionally smart hockey player with some exceptional skills. He will figure it all out and he will come through. There's absolutely zero doubt in my mind.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:00 AM
nickschultzfan

He played better last night. But man oh man does he scramble in the defensive zone. And what is with stick dropping?

But I got to think a lot of this is mental. He fumbles the puck more than Veilleux. That just shouldn't be happening.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:12 AM
Scoutguy77

Kind of what Ive been preaching. Granlund was protected while in Houston, prime ice time with great wingers ALL the time, played entire PP etc.
Others the organization have been slowier with and are making them learn the pro game. Bulmer, Phillips etc are played 3rd line or 4th line, learning to play defense and being accountable when they forget or miss an assignment. This is the recipe for long term success.
Given too much too soon, not the answer, IMO. He will be fine, but not unlike The aforementioned guys add in guys like Coyle, they all need a year or two of minor pro, if you want them to be good pros 3-5 years out...

Old
01-31-2013, 10:04 AM
Generic User
From Concentrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
But then again, I never expected near as much from him as most of you folks who expected him to waltz right in and put in 20g 30a in a 48 game rookie year.
Heh. Boy, I'll say.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:16 AM
Zamuz

He should play wing, not ready for center.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:52 AM
00xtremeninja
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustaf View Post
Not liking the idea to send Granlund back to AHL yet, his future is too important, could absolutely destroy his self confidence. He needs to feel that he belongs in the NHL which he isn't learning by returning to AHL with the feeling that his NHL performance was a failure. The fact that we have great talent in the AHL shouldn't push the decision to send him down earlier than what would have been the case otherwise!
this sounds waaaaay too similar to what some were saying about James Sheppard.

I thought his play improved, but he has work to do. He'll get there, he has the talent. I don't think a trip down to Houston is going to ruin him, and he doesn't have the personality of Benoit Pouliot. Yeo has a good eye on him and whatever decision he makes with him is going to be justified.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:56 AM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
I was meh until I noticed it was Blues' GDT and not ours

Closed Thread