HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Giroux vs. Tavares

View Poll Results: Who do you take on your team, now and in the future?
Claude Giroux 72 30.64%
John Tavares 163 69.36%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
No, it isn't close. Giroux significantly out produced Tavares last year with linemates who produced less than Tavares' linemates.

Tavares isn't going to own anything at any point in his career. He's barely a top five player in his own division, forget the entire league.
He's not even top 5 in his own division.

Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Lundqvist, Kovalchuk. He's not better than any of them right now.

01-30-2013, 11:43 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Still Giroux, still not close.
Lol I remember you, whats with the hate on Tavares I don't get it? If you don't think it's close right now, you know absolutely nothing about hockey.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:44 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Formerly CMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post

Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Lundqvist, Kovalchuk. He's not better than any of them right now.
I was excluding Lundqvist, but yeah. Arguments could also be made for Gaborik, Neal, and Nash.

Stephen Goalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Formerly CMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Lol I remember you, whats with the hate on Tavares I don't get it? If you don't think it's close right now, you know absolutely nothing about hockey.
Right. I know nothing about hockey, but one page ago you said it's "not accurate" that the Islanders were a much worse team than the Flyers last year.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:48 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
I was excluding Lundqvist, but yeah. Arguments could also be made for Gaborik, Neal, and Nash.
Lmao gaborik, neal, and nash are better than tavares? Watch a game before you make another ridiculous statement. You still think eric staal is better than tavares haha?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:48 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Right. I know nothing about hockey, but one page ago you said it's "not accurate" that the Islanders were a much worse team than the Flyers last year.
I was talking about this year, which is right now.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:49 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Formerly CMP

Quote:
Lmao gaborik, neal, and nash are better than tavares? Watch a game before you make another ridiculous statement. You still think eric staal is better than tavares haha?
I clearly said arguments could be made. I did not say they're better. And yes, Eric Staal is better than Tavares.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:50 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Formerly CMP

Quote:
I was talking about this year, which is right now.
So you're basing Tavares vs. Giroux and Flyers vs. Islanders... off a six/seven game sample size. That's even worse.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

P.A. Parenteau goes from a career minor leaguer to a near point per game player at the age of 28 after playing 7 seasons in the AHL.

Matt Moulson was a 26 year old cast off from Los Angeles who wasn't even offered a 1 way contract. Signed for AHL depth on July 1st with the Islanders 3 years ago.

Yet these 2 players are better then Jagr and Hartnell?

Ultimate Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:52 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 950
Quote:

the only players that are clearly above Tavares in the division is Crosby and Malkin. Kovalchuk, Lundqvist, Giroux, and Tavares are all close in value and skill. Based on this poll most posters feel you are wrong, and Tavares is better than Giroux. JT is the best building block in the division outside of Malkin and Crosby, and I really don't think that is arguable.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Formerly CMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
the only players that are clearly above Tavares in the division is Crosby and Malkin. Kovalchuk, Lundqvist, Giroux, and Tavares are all close in value and skill. Based on this poll most posters feel you are wrong, and Tavares is better than Giroux. JT is the best building block in the division outside of Malkin and Crosby, and I really don't think that is arguable.
Tavares is unarguably a better building block than Lundqvist? Dear lord.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:56 PM
Krishna

Quote:
JT is the best building block in the division?

Yeah, okay. Nope

Lundqvist
Giroux
Kovalchuk

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:57 PM
Krams
what a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Warrior View Post
JT is better then anyone on the rangers including Henrik "stand in the back of the net and never challenge the shooter while girardi blocks 28 shots a night" Lundqvist.
Inferiority complex, brah?

Accidentally voted for Tavares. Giroux.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:57 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Fair enough. I mean I wouldn't put him above those guys yet, but you can't go wrong. He's an excellent young player. Of course I'd still consider Lundqvist at 30 a great building block for competing over the next 7, 8 years.

I just don't understand the accusations of Rangers fans "hating" on Tavares. I could see it out of the division, but this is Atlantic vs Atlantic, there's no bias here. If anything, the Islanders are the one team we can tolerate.

In all honesty there's a few guys in the most talented division in the league I'd take over Tavares. That's not a knock on him at all.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:59 PM
Krams
what a time

Quote:

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:00 AM
Gustav Nyquist
Failure by design

Tavares AINEC

Gustav Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:06 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

I've been voting Tavares in this poll and similar polls since about the 1/4 mark of last season, but his victory spread is ridiculous. Not because he's not clearly better than Giroux to my eyes (he is), but because HF boards swings a 180 on these guys based on what happens in 7 games.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:07 AM
Vancouver Canucks*

TAVARES ainec

Vancouver Canucks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:08 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Matt Moulson is easily a better goal scorer than Scott Hartnell. PA Parenteau produced more than anyone on Grioux's RW last year. I don't see where team comes into play.
I don't agree with the first sentence and the second sentence implies that PA Parenteau is deadlier than even an old Jagr, which is bat crap crazy.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:13 AM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
JT is the best building block in the division?

Yeah, okay. Nope

Lundqvist
Giroux
Kovalchuk
So your telling me if we are starting a team from scratch you pick 30 year old Lundqvist, 29 year old Kovalchuk, and 25 year old Giroux over a 22 year old John Tavares? I can see an argument for Giroux, but Lundqvist and Kovalchuk have been around for a long time, in my opinion I would rather start my franchise with a young player that has 10+ years of great play ahead of him.

If we are talking about for one year I could easily see the argument made for any of these players, but the question was now and in the future.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:30 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
My favorite part of this thread is people saying Tavares would be better with better linemates or a better team.

Hartnell and Parenteau had the same amount of points

Jagr was outscored by Moulson by 12 points.

If you didn't watch the flyers after about January, Jagr was the reason why Giroux didn't get to 100 points. Jagr's groin slowed him down considerably and the only thing he could do well was protect the puck. Jagr's passing was below average, his shot was non-existant, and so was his speed.

For all the trashing Phil Kessel gets, would you guys say he would be a top 5 player if he was a on a better team?

Tavares has scored at a .83 ppg pace the last 3 years.

Kessel? .86 over the last 3 years.

No one is pumping Kessel's tires and he's constantly bashed by everyone. Would everyone call Kessel a top 5 player if he was put on a better team? No? Then why say that about Tavares?
The question isn't who was better over the last few years (and you are counting Tavares's rookie season) it is who is better now and the future Giroux .90 over the last while being 3 years older than Tavares so it isn't hard to see an argument for Tavares being better in the future as he isn't much worse now (if at all).

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:39 AM
Affinity

Quote:
I love how all the Rangers fans come in hearing saying Giroux. A little jelly?
You must be old

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:41 AM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Quote:
Yeah when Tavares has been the best player in the league at his position for 6 years you let me know.

That, and your comment doesn't have anything to do with what I said, but I digress.

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:13 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
No, it isn't close. Giroux significantly out produced Tavares last year with linemates who produced less than Tavares' linemates.

Tavares isn't going to own anything at any point in his career. He's barely a top five player in his own division, forget the entire league.
Well at least you're passionate about it.

I guess the Isles will have to make do with a player who isn't top five in his own division, let alone the league. It's a good thing he doesn't have 8 points in 6 games and 4 points in his last two. He's so marginally talented.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:15 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Tavares is unarguably a better building block than Lundqvist? Dear lord.
What has Lundqvist won, besides nothing?

Tavares is in control of the Islanders and he'll have them beating everyones ***** on a regular basis this season. He has 4 points in his last two games, 8 overall and hasn't even hit two cylinders.

You provide entertainment, but you're just looking for attention. Like that kid who hums during story time in fourth grade but nobody cares.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote