HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v25: Terrence Ross named to Slam Dunk Competition

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 11:36 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Bargnani is as good as gone. Bargs + wing for legit powerforward?

Old
SpeakerForTheDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Top is DeMar, though I think the rebounding #s are off. He's not getting 6 boards a game.

Bottom is Gay

and this plays into exactly what I've been saying all along. Rudy Gay is a slightly better DeRozan with a 3-point shot. The difference in output isn't as great as it is portrayed to be and isn't worth the fact that Gay is getting paid basically twice what DeMar is going forward.

Rudy Gay is a nice player. A nice complementary piece. In a vacuum where his contract is irrelevant and the other players on the Raptors roster are not a factor, Rudy Gay is a fine get for the Raptors. But with DeRozan on this team and to an extent Ross as well what Rudy Gay adds isn't going to make a huge difference in the overall output/success of the team. If we were going to blow significant trade chips in the form of Calderon and Davis, the get should've been something that filled a bigger hole or fit better.
But, he's not upgrading Derozan, he's adding on to him. He's an upgrade on Anderson.

Old
Dark Knight
Let's go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Top is DeMar, though I think the rebounding #s are off. He's not getting 6 boards a game.

Bottom is Gay

and this plays into exactly what I've been saying all along. Rudy Gay is a slightly better DeRozan with a 3-point shot. The difference in output isn't as great as it is portrayed to be and isn't worth the fact that Gay is getting paid basically twice what DeMar is going forward.

Rudy Gay is a nice player. A nice complementary piece. In a vacuum where his contract is irrelevant and the other players on the Raptors roster are not a factor, Rudy Gay is a fine get for the Raptors. But with DeRozan on this team and to an extent Ross as well what Rudy Gay adds isn't going to make a huge difference in the overall output/success of the team. If we were going to blow significant trade chips in the form of Calderon and Davis, the get should've been something that filled a bigger hole or fit better.
I've been on the fence about acquiring Rudy Gay but, while we can take all the time and analyze both of their current stats, but we fail to realize that both actually play different position and the latter actually fills a void we've had since Tracy McGrady left for Orlando. I know we had a glimpse of what a real SF would do with Marion and Turkoglu but Marion's game had started to fade and Turkoglu was just a bad fit here.

Rudy Gay has the ability to take pressure off DeRozan and consequently spread the floor.

I have a gut feeling that Gay will work out nicely for us but its not a move I'd have actively sought for considering the salary he makes.

Keep in mind though that since NBA has disallowed HS atheletes to enter the draft, the overall talent level in annual drafts has dropped significantly unless you select a diamond in the rough type player. The rebuild is much harder and longer for NBA teams now than it was in the past.

Had Colangelo not pounced on this, it would have been far fetched to assume another SF, only 26 years of age, would have been made available. Terrence Ross or DeMar DeRozan are not SF's. This year would have been a wash, but so would have been next year (no 1st rounder).

I feel with Rudy Gay this team is a playoff team and with Dwayne Casey making our players work hard, I believe our team can surprise.

Last edited by Dark Knight: 01-31-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old
01-30-2013, 11:41 PM
glasses91

Toronto sports is making it rain...

Old
01-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Auzzie19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Player A:

PPG 17.3
RPG 5.9
APG 2.2
SPG 1.0
BPG 0.4
FG% 0.437
FT% 0.825
3P% 0.246
MPG 36.8

Player B:

PPG 17.2
RPG 5.9
APG 2.6
SPG 1.3
BPG 0.7
FG% 0.408
FT% 0.776
3P% 0.310
MPG 36.7

Anybody want to take a guess which player is which?
Player A - Rudy Gay

Player B - Bum Bum Bosh

Edit: Player A Derozen
player b is Gay

Old
01-30-2013, 11:44 PM
Eytinge

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
So brining in A top 25 player is gonna make us suck?? Righttt
He's not top 25.

Lebron, Durant, Paul, Kobe, Wade, Westbrook, Melo, Howard, Harden, Parker, Duncan, Curry, Griffin, M.Gasol, Zbo, Bosh, Deron, Noah, Rondo, Rose, George, Aldridge, Holiday, Irving, Deng.

That's 25 right there. And guys like Garnett, Chandler, JSmoove, Horford, JJ, Pierce are all better IMO or have better impacts on the game.

He's never made an all star team for a reason. I'm worried about having him and Demar on the floor because our spacing will be terrible. Teams will just pack the paint against us. Those two guys are way too similar to each other, even though Gay is better.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:44 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

New MLSE taking over: Burkie GONE. Calderon/Bargs GONE. BC FIRED probably this summer.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:45 PM
Dark Knight
Let's go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
New MLSE taking over: Burkie GONE. Calderon/Bargs GONE. BC FIRED probably this summer.
If they wanted to fire Colangelo they would have already done it. They just let Colangelo add a significant piece, and one that makes a lot of money as well. It's not something you'd let a manager, you intend to fire in off-season, do.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:47 PM
Dark Knight
Let's go Blue Jays!

One guy I won't mind at all the Raptors looking into is J.J Reddick.

He would be ideal to come off the bench and his 3 point and spot up shooting will definitely enable the Raptors to stay in games.

I'm pretty sure with Orlando looking to rebuild, that he's a trade candidate.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:49 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
It's not something you'd let a manager, you intend to fire in off-season, do.
Yeah, like it didn't stop them from firing Burkie when he least expected it. BC is gone this summer.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:50 PM
glasses91

reddick and our hometown boy nicholson for bargnani +??

Old
01-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Dark Knight
Let's go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Yeah, like it didn't stop them from firing Burkie when he least expected it. BC is gone this summer.
They didn't let Burke make any moves like this.

While I haven't really looked into the future, but if I was putting my money on it, I would say that the Raptors will keep Colangelo and even sign him long-term this offseason.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Eytinge

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasses91 View Post
reddick and our hometown boy nicholson for bargnani +??
There's two sides to a trade people. Bargnani is not an asset, his contract is a negative to any deal.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Two Words: Luis Scola.

Do it BC!

Old
01-30-2013, 11:57 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I would say that the Raptors will keep Colangelo and even sign him long-term this offseason.
On what basis? That's absurd. His tenure has been an epic fail. Only one playoff season to show forth. He deserves to be CANNED.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:01 AM
glasses91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
There's two sides to a trade people. Bargnani is not an asset, his contract is a negative to any deal.
I said +...

huge nicholson fan he went to school in my hood.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:11 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

man the raps love to lose close games. It's amazing how different their season could look with one extra basket on most nights.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:17 AM
socratic

The last two pages are full of Demar/Gay comparisons, which, to me misses the point (dark knight did touch on this).

If we had traded demar, then these stat lines would make sense to bring up, but we didn't, we have both of them.

To me the biggest blessing out of all of this is that (hopefully) this means we play big minutes with Gay at the 3 and Demar at the 2, which bumps Anderson-the-prayer-thrower to the bench (hopefully, or at least lets casey leash him).

The biggest downfall is at PG. It's more or less been a strength of our's all season, and all of a sudden we're handing the reigns to a guy who can't seem to stay healthy for two weeks, and leaving him without much backup.

That's all from a professional and strategic point-of-view. From a personal point-of-view, it just hurts my soul to see Calderon and Davis shipped out like that. Stupid de-humanizing pro-sports.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:23 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

wait i thought davis was good why did we trade him? so far fom the little i read people says this bad ?

01-31-2013, 12:36 AM
JMcLeaf

vCash: 352
So will Bargs+ for Gasol(+?) possibly be the next deal we see for the Raps? BC obviously not afraid to bring in big contracts and not looking to rebuild. Rumors have been there for awhile.

Lowry-Derozan-Gay-Gasol-Val

Old
01-31-2013, 12:37 AM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Oh lord. RealGM has to be the collection of some of the worst posters in the world. Most of them are like the suicidal bi-polar leaf fans here on HF.

"Gay is average"

"Gay is terrible"

"Gay is an overpaid bench player on a good team"
Fans gonna fan. lol.. Ya Fans are like that all over. Raptors have a huge fanbase though just like the Leafs. More idiots to see than the usual fanbase.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:38 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic View Post
The last two pages are full of Demar/Gay comparisons, which, to me misses the point (dark knight did touch on this).

If we had traded demar, then these stat lines would make sense to bring up, but we didn't, we have both of them.

To me the biggest blessing out of all of this is that (hopefully) this means we play big minutes with Gay at the 3 and Demar at the 2, which bumps Anderson-the-prayer-thrower to the bench (hopefully, or at least lets casey leash him).

The biggest downfall is at PG. It's more or less been a strength of our's all season, and all of a sudden we're handing the reigns to a guy who can't seem to stay healthy for two weeks, and leaving him without much backup.

That's all from a professional and strategic point-of-view. From a personal point-of-view, it just hurts my soul to see Calderon and Davis shipped out like that. Stupid de-humanizing pro-sports.

They may not have been traded for each other, but really if someone asked you if this team needs another DeRozan, would you say yes? Because that's largely what was acquired. For twice what the Raps are going to be paying the one they already had.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows..."
Old
01-31-2013, 12:46 AM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
So as someone who considers himself to be the least knowledgeable person in basketball, was this trade any good?
I know it's apples to oranges but it's basically the equivalent of the Leafs trading Nazem Kadri, an expiring Mike Komisarek, a 4th round pick and cash for a 32 year old Luongo (not his current age) and some scrub off the Canucks. I mean that very loosely. There are variables like age, contracts, picks and positions that aren't comparable to both leagues, obviously.

We got a top positional player in the league whose overpaid and is seemingly in his prime for a budding young prospect and expiring solid veteran and well the picks are picks, a 2nd in the NBA is like a 4th in the NHL. Not very valuable but you can find a diamond here and there..

Old
01-31-2013, 12:53 AM
DrEasy
Cameron = MacLean?

Toronto obviously wasn't big enough for two Jose's. Now it's all Bautista's. (oops here comes Jose Reyes...)

Old
01-31-2013, 01:00 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

since im trying to get into bball a bit more and interested in it, who do you think is likely for bargs since he's onthe block now/

Closed Thread