HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 - Out Of Town Scoreboard - Part Two - Hockey's Back!

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias026 View Post
I hate Suter alot more then Parise, but i dont really hate Parise because I still do believe NJ was Parise second choice and he wanted to play here but an opportunity came up to play with a good friend at home and make a boat load of money, thats hard to turn away from
If he were going to play with his brother, I'd forgive him.

But he didn't.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I understand Niedermayer leaving to go play with his brother. Blood is thicker than water. All in all I'm not too bitter about Parise. The breaking point for me is when he got burned by Kopitar the whole length of the ice in game 3 of the SCF. That led to a goal by Kopitar. Then we found out Kovy, Patty, and Clarkie were all playing injured, but not Parise.

Don't get me wrong he would make this team a lot better right now. A game like last night where we could only muster up a goal, he would have came in real handy. And the fact that we've had Matteau, Tedenby, Josefson, and Zubrus all in that spot over a 5 game period.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:22 PM
elias026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
If he were going to play with his brother, I'd forgive him.

But he didn't.
thats like saying no player can ever leave this team unless we let them go or go play with a brother?

Old
01-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan92 View Post
TSN just tried to compare the Russian Five vs the 'Broadway Five" (Richards, Nash, Gaborik, Staal & Del Zotto).

If I was going to pick five Rangers to tout so highly, Staal and Del Zotto would not be the two defencemen I'd pick. That defence revolves around McDonagh and Girardi eating minutes.

Oh ya, and the Rangers are not nearly that good, but I'm perfectly fine with TSN setting the expectations so high so they can fall on their faces trying to match up to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
It's kind of impressive how a team with as many skilled forwards as Edmonton has.. has such a hard time scoring at even strength.
I'm going to channel DATW and say it's because their defence is terrible, and they need more PMDs so they can hit the blue line with speed and play as a five man unit in the offensive zone.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:31 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I'm going to channel DATW and say it's because their defence is terrible, and they need more PMDs so they can hit the blue line with speed and play as a five man unit in the offensive zone.
Their top 6 is also surprisingly light on the puck. They could use a real big makeover on that lineup.

But, hey, Seth Jones incoming - watch out.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:47 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Has a team ever gotten four first overall picks in a row?

Old
01-30-2013, 10:52 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Has a team ever gotten four first overall picks in a row?
If my memory is correct

Nope but the Sens should have accomplished the feat but got screwed by Expansion

1993 - Daigle #1
1995 - Berard #1
1996 - Phillips #1

In 1994 the Sens were worst team and should have selected #1 but got screwed in draft because of NHL change for expansion

They gave Panthers #1 and #2 that year to level playing field for latest expansion (Because of how poorly recent expansion teams had done before them because of the disadvantage at entering league)

Old
01-30-2013, 11:08 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Yakupov ends it in OT for the Oilers on the PP.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

And people are complaining about his "celebration"...lol it was not bad at all. Morris coming in and punching an Oiler was funny though.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:48 PM
apice3*

The Rangers have the worst depth among any top team in either conference. The worst. They role 2 lines and 2 pairs, that's it. And they traded all of either expendable assets for Nash. No idea what they plan on doing to improve the team this season. Sather didn't think that one out too well.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
The Rangers have the worst depth among any top team in either conference. The worst. They role 2 lines and 2 pairs, that's it. And they traded all of either expendable assets for Nash. No idea what they plan on doing to improve the team this season. Sather didn't think that one out too well.
They have a very good top 6, their role players can be acquired through trade later in the year (similar situation to the Devils, who barely have a top 6)

Trust me, it really stings to say this, but I think the Rags are a top team this year

Old
01-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessarmy View Post
They have a very good top 6, their role players can be acquired through trade later in the year (similar situation to the Devils, who barely have a top 6)

Trust me, it really stings to say this, but I think the Rags are a top team this year
I think a lot of that is going to come down to their ability to stay healthy. Part of the reason for their success is that they were able to stay relatively healthy for the most part. Aside from Staal and Dubinsky, did anyone miss a notable amount of time? They have a solid enough team, and the ability to acquire a role player or two for a push, but if one of their top 6 forwards or top 4 d-men went down, how are they going to replace them? Their depth still is a concern in the sense that if they don't have much luck with injuries, they could be in some trouble.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:55 PM
apice3*

They have a great top 6, a great top 4, and a great goalie.

Their 3rd line is terrible, and they don't even have a 4th line or 3rd pair as far as I'm concerned. And I'm skeptical that Callahan is only going to be out 10 days after popping out his shoulder. That's one of those things that's going to linger all season too.

They can't even acquire role players because they have nothing to trade. Unless they're getting someone for a 2nd rounder, I don't see what they can do.

The Rangers are a worse team right now than they were last year.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:12 AM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Quote:
They have a great top 6, a great top 4, and a great goalie.

Their 3rd line is terrible, and they don't even have a 4th line or 3rd pair as far as I'm concerned. And I'm skeptical that Callahan is only going to be out 10 days after popping out his shoulder. That's one of those things that's going to linger all season too.

They can't even acquire role players because they have nothing to trade. Unless they're getting someone for a 2nd rounder, I don't see what they can do.

The Rangers are a worse team right now than they were last year.
Bold statement (pardon the pun), even with Nash? He adds an offensive flair to their top 6 that they've been missing for years.

Quote:
I think a lot of that is going to come down to their ability to stay healthy. Part of the reason for their success is that they were able to stay relatively healthy for the most part. Aside from Staal and Dubinsky, did anyone miss a notable amount of time? They have a solid enough team, and the ability to acquire a role player or two for a push, but if one of their top 6 forwards or top 4 d-men went down, how are they going to replace them? Their depth still is a concern in the sense that if they don't have much luck with injuries, they could be in some trouble.
The injury argument doesn't make sense to me, that can happen to every team especially the Devils, who have no forward depth

Old
01-31-2013, 12:49 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan92 View Post
TSN just tried to compare the Russian Five vs the 'Broadway Five" (Richards, Nash, Gaborik, Staal & Del Zotto).

Yikes.

I think this is because the Rangers played the Leafs on a HNIC national broadcast and had a big night from the said players playing together as a unit. Typical Toronto sports media with their knee-jerk reactions. I was watching the CBC broadcast and they were hyping them up endlessly, no doubt.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:38 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
They have a solid core, and that can be built upon. We know how good Sather is at making trades.

That said, I hope they still try to roll through the playoffs with four and a half defencemen.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:42 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

I don't hate Parise. I just don't want him or his team to succeed.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:31 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

I dislike Pari$e only because he COST US Poni getting re-signed.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:45 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
thats like saying no player can ever leave this team unless we let them go or go play with a brother?
So he left to play for money? Like Gomez, if you didn't have a problem with Gomez then I can understand but if you booed Gomez mercilessly, then you shouldn't have a double standard here.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:48 AM
elias026

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
So he left to play for money? Like Gomez, if you didn't have a problem with Gomez then I can understand but if you booed Gomez mercilessly, then you shouldn't have a double standard here.
He left to play with a good friend AND to play at home where his family is(in the west) and got money. Gomez went to the ****ing rangers its not even close to being the same

Old
01-31-2013, 09:04 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessarmy View Post
Bold statement (pardon the pun), even with Nash? He adds an offensive flair to their top 6 that they've been missing for years.
Right now, yes. I truly believe it. Nash is great, and what they gave up was a steal. The problem was they didn't have a ton of assets available and they traded two roster forwards on an already shallow team, and now have pretty much nothing left to deal to make their team better.

They're built to win games. They are not built to win series. Callahan is their FIRST injury, and look at the roster now. Taylor Pyatt is now a second liner. Their 3rd line is Rupp, Boyle, and some Ferreiro dude. 4th line is Bickel, Halpern, and Asham. Can you imagine if Gaborik who has a history of injuries goes down?

Now, by no means is our offensive depth that much better, but at the same time, we have so many more expendable assets because of our defensive depth. What do the Rangers have? Kreider, Miller, and Thomas are all going to be needed for the future of their shallow offensive group. Skjei and McIlrath are needed for their shallow defensive group. The only way they can pull a deal is by trading draft picks which any team can do, or scrapping the future to win now. Which will cause the Rangers to be awful in a few years.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:09 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
He left to play with a good friend AND to play at home where his family is(in the west) and got money. Gomez went to the ****ing rangers its not even close to being the same
You realize they played like 6 games together before this year since high school right? He is probably better friends with Stafford. But Buffalo didn't offer him an insane front loaded deal with lots of years. That contract he has is nuts.

And you make it sound like he was never home and players go home all the time. He got what? 33 million over the course of 2 years and 1 day. If those signing bonuses weren't around who knows where he would have actually went.

Ya the Devils were his second choice, unless minny didn't pony up the money then he probably goes to whoever does that next and we'd be the 2nd choice again. If anything he decided that Minny had a better talent pool than we do here. He was drooling over their prospects like mad after signing. All about family though.

Gomez did what Parise did. Go to where offered him the best deal, not even necessarily the most money.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:14 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Depended to much on the kid Krieder and Boyle having another good year.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:18 AM
CerebralGenesis

Speaking of Matteau's ELC, the rags are about to lose 2 years of Kreider's ELC with under half a season of value. They definitely hoped he would continue putting up points at the pro level and he is taking some time to adjust.

They could definitely use some more depth in their lineup, much like Pittsburgh. Our division has some powerhouses but I don't mind if we played either of them in the postseason. Assuming we all get there obviously.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:24 AM
apice3*

Just like last year, if we can improve the forward depth, the only team I would want to avoid in the East is Boston.

Closed Thread