HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Schroeder Appreciation Thread!

Old
01-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
I remember reading Schroeder struggled last season or possibly the one before when switched to the wing. Does anyone know why this is? I'm in no way suggesting we move him to the wing, but I am curious how he would play next to Kesler. He's a speedy, defensively responsible playmaker - something Kesler has been lacking for years.
He only played wing in his first season, as far as I can remember. Who knows if it would work right now. He just didn't move his feet enough or hound the puck enough and wasn't good enough at getting/protecting the puck when he was on the wing before. But he has also improved a lot in that regard since then so it's hard to say how he would do now.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:02 PM
thefeebster

Schroeder played wing for 3 weeks last season. Mancari was the C. It was not a pretty experiment. Schroeder was less engaged in the play, didn't create a lot and was too fast for Mancari.

That said, JS said a week ago that he could play wing and feels he has evolved enough to play wing. Going from Mancari to Kesler would certainly help.

I've been saying this for the longest time that on paper and in theory, Schroeder is perfectly suited for Keslers wing because he is fast, can keep up with Kes and a great playmaker. But with what I've seen of Schroeder on the wing, theory may not match up with reality.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Smokey McCanucks

I didn't realize the kid was so fast! Not that he's really done anything yet but he has got some serious wheels.

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Schroeder played wing for 3 weeks last season. Mancari was the C. It was not a pretty experiment. Schroeder was less engaged in the play, didn't create a lot and was too fast for Mancari.
Oh yeah, I remember that now. It was definitely a bust. Then again it was Mancari...

Old
01-30-2013, 06:25 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He only played wing in his first season, as far as I can remember. Who knows if it would work right now. He just didn't move his feet enough or hound the puck enough and wasn't good enough at getting/protecting the puck when he was on the wing before. But he has also improved a lot in that regard since then so it's hard to say how he would do now.
Quote:

That said, JS said a week ago that he could play wing and feels he has evolved enough to play wing. Going from Mancari to Kesler would certainly help.

I've been saying this for the longest time that on paper and in theory, Schroeder is perfectly suited for Keslers wing because he is fast, can keep up with Kes and a great playmaker. But with what I've seen of Schroeder on the wing, theory may not match up with reality.
You guys are great, thanks. I hope we get to see the two of them, and ideally Booth, together at some point this season.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Yeah in theory Booth - Kesler - Schroeder would be a great line. But as you guys made light of it is only theory.

He has said he feels he has evolved enough to do so, so I would give him the benefit of the doubt and give it a serious look though. Why not right?

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Oh yeah, I remember that now. It was definitely a bust. Then again it was Mancari...
wasnt mancari an ahl superstar

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
Mostly on the PP. He was very underwhelming at ES and horrible defensively.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Schroeder does have some advantages on Mr.Hodgson though. Size isn't really any more of an issue for Jordan as it was Cody IMO.

Then Jordan brings alot more speed and is more defense savvy. And he is much further ahead of Cody when he first started in the league.

I guess we will see how it plays out, I do think Jordan will surprise some people though as he already seems to have.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Bieksa#3

I wish Raymond would have more awareness of his teammates in the offensive zone. Pissing me off with what he's got back to doing on that 3rd line.

Schroeder has been getting more chances lately so I'm sure he'll get his 1st sooner rather than later. Looked pretty good again tonight, their line really broke out in the 3rd.

Bieksa#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:27 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksa#3 View Post
I wish Raymond would have more awareness of his teammates in the offensive zone. Pissing me off with what he's got back to doing on that 3rd line.

Schroeder has been getting more chances lately so I'm sure he'll get his 1st sooner rather than later. Looked pretty good again tonight, their line really broke out in the 3rd.
I agree. If we weren't short on solid centers right now, Schroeder would ideally be playing with Burrows and Hansen, rather than two guys with tunnel-vision and zero awareness of anything besides what they themselves are doing in Raymond and Weise.

I think we should be looking at

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Higgins - Kesler - Booth
Burrows - Schroeder - Hansen
Raymond - Lapierre - Weise

when everyone's healthy, personally. Those are four damn good lines. I would also like to see Burrows - Kesler - Hansen, but the third line becomes really messy after that.

I still like the idea of Raymond on the 4th line because he's a very effective player on his own without any help, but prevents his teammates from being able to do much. On a fourth line without alot of offensive ability, it's a huge boost.

That's only when everyone looks up to speed, though (right now Raymond's outplaying a whole bunch of guys)

On a side note, after watching the two of them play, I feel like Schroeder and Grabner (with Kesler?) probably would have ended up being a match made in heaven.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-31-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:58 PM
orcatown

Quote:

Absolutely - was on the perimeter and doing little when on the wing. Got tied up in puck battles along the boards which negated his strongest attribute - his speed. Idea of playing wing is senseless given the history.

Noted that the never informed Sekeres musing, like he had actually studied the situation, that he saw Schroeder ultimately on the wing. This, to me, goes back to the Parise comparisons which were never based on much other than that both Schroeder and Parise were smaller and both Americans

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:04 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
He's no Jason Krog...

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:14 PM
Bleach Clean

Just curious if people see Schroeder as a legit NHLer or not? Based on the limited sample we have seen. Is he secure to make the show long-term, or does he top out at the AHL?

Should have a poll.

Bleach Clean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:51 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksa#3 View Post
To me the most encouraging sign about Jordan Schroeder in the past 3 games was that his size was not an issue at all imo. San Jose, Ducks and LA are up there as 3 of the most physical and big teams in the NHL and he held his own fine.
Yeah, this is what I've noticed as well. His size (or lack of) hasn't been a disadvantage for him, even against the big Cali teams. I like that he's stepped in and right away hasn't looked out of place which can be a struggle for a lot of rookies. Having that as a starting base is already pretty good. Gotta love how responsible he is too and how he's the first forward back more often than not, though I also see how some people are mentioning that he needs to keep his feet moving more. This will probably be corrected over time.

Now he just needs to bring it all together on offense. Personally I think he's been erring on the side of cautious a little and probably not wanting to get caught or make a mistake but he could stand to be a but more assertive and direct in his attack. Though perhaps that's also a product of him still figuring out the NHL? The point brought up about the seeming lack of 1-on-1 moves in his repertoire is valid I think - I don't recall seeing him doing much of that in the AHL either - if at all - but then maybe he's just never needed to use them with his vision, smarts and skating.

I don't think he'll be as dynamic as people thought earlier on when he was drafted but IMO he has what it takes to be a 2nd liner.

Would like to see Raymond work a few more give-and-go's with him out there though. It's like he's forgotten that his center is capable of putting the puck on his stick in a scoring area again.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:51 PM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Just curious if people see Schroeder as a legit NHLer or not? Based on the limited sample we have seen. Is he secure to make the show long-term, or does he top out at the AHL?

Should have a poll.
Not in Vancouver with Mr. Hart and Mr. Selke playing the first and second fiddle. Unless, he develops another aspect to his game that would allow him to play on the third or fourth lines. (Face-off prowess/ PK/ grit/ etc.

Alflives* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:54 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Not in Vancouver with Mr. Hart and Mr. Selke playing the first and second fiddle. Unless, he develops another aspect to his game that would allow him to play on the third or fourth lines. (Face-off prowess/ PK/ grit/ etc.
Or if our new coach just prefers good hockey players and doesn't need to overdose on specialization.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:54 PM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 833
The speed of his puck movement really stands out. He and Raymond have some chemistry going and you can see Schroeder looking for him as the preferred target when they're breaking out. He's doesn't need much time at all to find his target and make a good pass.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:07 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Would be nice if he can get a multipoint game against Chicago, take a lot of the pressure off.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:16 PM
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
he will eventually get a goal..........I think that he can probably play on the wing since he is a bit older and have a better center to play with in kesler if AV is smart to test it out

canuck4life16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Wizeman*

The kid is awesome. So defensively aware , and is learning to anticipate where raymond is going to be.

How about the kid whose first NHL goal doesnt count because its a shoot out (his first) and first NHL game winner but also doesnt count .

Interesting trivia question 20 years from now.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:00 AM
David71

hes fast and very smart defensively. wonder when kes comes back. raymond/schroder/kes?

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:13 AM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
hes fast and very smart defensively. wonder when kes comes back. raymond/schroder/kes?
Nah

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Higgins

Raymond Schroeder Kassian

Hansen Malholtra Lappiere

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Nah

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Higgins

Raymond Schroeder Kassian

Hansen Malholtra Lappiere
Betcha a 6 pack thats not how the lines will look.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:17 AM
Tiranis

That saucer pass to Raymond was sick. So was the give and go with Mason where he was taken down.