HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dmitri Jaskin - Signed to 3 year deal by Blues

Old
01-28-2013, 05:46 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

vCash: 500
He's on a current 11 game point streak since returning from the WJC, 13 goals , 17 assists for 30 points Back to back QMJHL 1st star of the week. MVP of the QMJHL and the CHL for this season. Dominates like Radulov did in 2006.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:02 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 50
I just read an article on the QMJHL website that said Jaskin got his first Hat Trick of the season yesterday? 35 goals in 39 games an only 1 hat trick?! That's ridiculous consistency.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:10 PM
h22prelude93

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:03 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

He was named CHL PLAYER OF THE WEEK today as well..

http://theqmjhl.ca/article/wildcats-...he-week/137290

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

"Danny Flynn has him pegged as a Marian Hossa 2.0 but I see some Jagr 2.0 in him. Best player in the QMJHL. He'll have no problem transitioning to the AHL/NHL. I can see him in the NHL as soon as next season if not , for sure the 2014-15 season. He can do it all. He's a power forward that's almost impossible to knock off the puck. He shelters himself and never gets stripped. Not a perimeter player at all , he goes through his oppoenents. Lethal shot , dead on accuracy but also an elite passer/playmaker. Finishes hit checks and punishes his opponents with brute force. Dmitri carries his work ethic into the locker room as well and is usually the first to hit the ice and gym and last to leave. He makes players around him look good. Very bright future and was a steal in the 2nd round for the Blues'!"

A quote from a Wildcats fan on the main board. Makes me pumped to see him in the A.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:57 AM
TK 421
Donut Squad

vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
"Danny Flynn has him pegged as a Marian Hossa 2.0 but I see some Jagr 2.0 in him. Best player in the QMJHL. He'll have no problem transitioning to the AHL/NHL. I can see him in the NHL as soon as next season if not , for sure the 2014-15 season. He can do it all. He's a power forward that's almost impossible to knock off the puck. He shelters himself and never gets stripped. Not a perimeter player at all , he goes through his oppoenents. Lethal shot , dead on accuracy but also an elite passer/playmaker. Finishes hit checks and punishes his opponents with brute force. Dmitri carries his work ethic into the locker room as well and is usually the first to hit the ice and gym and last to leave. He makes players around him look good. Very bright future and was a steal in the 2nd round for the Blues'!"

A quote from a Wildcats fan on the main board. Makes me pumped to see him in the A.
What an impact this guy has made since coming over. Really excited for what he brings as insurance against another Stewart letdown in the coming seasons. Particularly when you consider how close he looks to pro duty. Armstrong may not feel the need to re-sign Stewart to a multi-year with Jaskin being a cheap replacement in the near future. He could save his big money for Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk. Granted Jaskin could still be a year or two off from having an NHL impact, but it's something to keep in mind when considering what to do with Stewart.

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:26 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

is it wrong to be SUPER excited for this guy. He's gotta be one of the most under-rated prospects in North America. He's making a joke out of Q right now.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
is it wrong to be SUPER excited for this guy. He's gotta be one of the most under-rated prospects in North America. He's making a joke out of Q right now.
Meh. I'm fine with how he is rated. He was overmatched in a men's league last year. He improved himself in the offseason and he is performing well against competition that is mostly his age this year. However, he is also one of the more physically mature players in the Q and he has a little more experience than some. So he has a decent advantage.

Jaskin seems to be a very good player but let's wait to see how he does in the AHL next year. That will really show us just how good he is.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:54 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
Meh. I'm fine with how he is rated. He was overmatched in a men's league last year. He improved himself in the offseason and he is performing well against competition that is mostly his age this year. However, he is also one of the more physically mature players in the Q and he has a little more experience than some. So he has a decent advantage.

Jaskin seems to be a very good player but let's wait to see how he does in the AHL next year. That will really show us just how good he is.
I agree with you here people seem to forget about McRea and Sonne's last CHL seasons. They both were impressive. People are jumping the gun thinking he makes Stewart expendable. Way to early. I understand being excited about him but he's older then a decent amount of the players in the CHL and physically more mature. I had high hopes for Sonne and now he doesn't seem like he will ever be an NHL player.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:29 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I agree with you here people seem to forget about McRea and Sonne's last CHL seasons. They both were impressive. People are jumping the gun thinking he makes Stewart expendable. Way to early. I understand being excited about him but he's older then a decent amount of the players in the CHL and physically more mature. I had high hopes for Sonne and now he doesn't seem like he will ever be an NHL player.
This is why I'm hesitant to get my hopes too terribly high for Jaskin just yet.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:35 AM
Alklha

Having watched a little more of Jaškin, I'm not worried at all about him making the next step. He has an all round game, is smart and is physically mature enough to probably make a decent mark with Peoria if he joins up later this season. I wouldn't even be worried about him in the NHL next season, but I wouldn't be expecting any significant offensive production.

He isn't an elite level talent, although I'm sure some will think that based off his inflated numbers in the Q, but he certainly looks a lot more promising than McRae ever did. Sonne on the other hand... even his first year in the AHL he looked impressive, if rough around the edges. Still disappointed it never came together with him.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:00 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

I don't think I would get too fired up about replacing Stewart either just yet. If any place he may take in the lineup, then it may be Schwartz's. Not that Schwartz is bad. Just at this point, that is the weakest link in the top 9 right now. I see no reason to start writing off a 25+ goal scorer in the NHL and your proven toughest regular player for a junior league player or one that has proven little to nothing in the NHL. I will say it again. I think Stewart nets 20 goals this year, and I will be ecstatic if Schwartz passes 15 points.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:01 AM
jessejames

Quoted from HooliganX2:

How was McRae's last season in the CHL impressive? (52gp, 51pts) Or his second last year? (59gp, 54pt) Or any year? And he played with a great hockey team in London.

Sonne's last year (100 pts) in Calgary was indeed impressive, and I too thought he would progress much better than he did. He was very good at the World Juniors in a defensive center role.

Now you're trying to compare Jaskin to these two. This guy is putting up 2.5 or so ppg over an extended stretch in his one and only season in the league -- 1.92 ppg for the season -- and you're comparing him to McRae. Really.

And don't give me the whine about the Q being an offensive league. Look up the numbers. That league right now is as good as, or maybe better than, the Ontario league or the WHL, and if he stays healthy, Jaskin should easily win the league's scoring title -- that with missing 10 or 11 games due to the World Juniors.

Wildcat has been telling us how good Jaskin looks, and the stats speak for themselves, but you go ahead compare him to Phil McRae. Yup, real knowledge, that is.

jessejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:30 AM
Alklha

Really? I agree that saying that McRae was "impressive" in his final CHL season was certainly off base, but he didn't compare McRae to Jaškin. He merely advised caution about getting too carried away with the offensive numbers he is putting up. Rightly so.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:05 AM
jessejames

Alklha quote:

Really? I agree that saying that McRae was "impressive" in his final CHL season was certainly off base, but he didn't compare McRae to Jaškin. He merely advised caution about getting too carried away with the offensive numbers he is putting up. Rightly so.

Comparison? Maybe not, but the inference is there very definately. Most emphatically.

If you don't think what Jaskin is doing warrants serious consideration and expectation, well I don't know what to say.

Myself, I think he'll be a solid NHL winger who spends perhaps a short time in Peoria.

jessejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:13 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Look at the rest of the scorers around Jaskins. No one is within 10 points of him and he missed 10 games. If you look at Rattie (this year and last year Bartshi %), Sonne, and MacRae, they weren't even their teams leading scorers. That says something about how Jaskins talent gets his points. Not a benefactor...

Old
01-31-2013, 12:54 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Look at the rest of the scorers around Jaskins. No one is within 10 points of him and he missed 10 games. If you look at Rattie (this year and last year Bartshi %), Sonne, and MacRae, they weren't even their teams leading scorers. That says something about how Jaskins talent gets his points. Not a benefactor...
It isn't that simple though. There is no doubt that he is by far the best player on his team, and can dominate games. Part of that comes down to his size, his ability to use it effectively and the fact he can dominate games with it. He won't have that size advantage at the next level and that isn't an insignificant thing.

Adjustments will have to be made in his game, and that will tell us how effective he is going to be. It isn't about knocking Jaškin, who I think is a great prospect, but it is about keeping expectations realistic.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:21 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
It isn't that simple though. There is no doubt that he is by far the best player on his team, and can dominate games. Part of that comes down to his size, his ability to use it effectively and the fact he can dominate games with it. He won't have that size advantage at the next level and that isn't an insignificant thing.

Adjustments will have to be made in his game, and that will tell us how effective he is going to be. It isn't about knocking Jaškin, who I think is a great prospect, but it is about keeping expectations realistic.
Oh I agree with you... I'm just pointing this out that he has the talent to make his own points. He isn't Robin for Batman and still gets drafted in the first round for his totals. We won't know squat until he lines up with guys his size. Just something I always pay attention to in evaluating a prospect. Schwartz had the same thing on his college team. Not much around him.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Some people seem to be getting excessively high on Jaskin.

I think the kid has done a tremendous job to rebound from last year. He is scoring at a torrid pace and this trajectory is very impressive.

However, there is a lot about his scoring that should temper some expectations (not all). The kinds of goals Jaskin is potting are not the kinds of goals he should expect a lot of in the NHL. The cross the crease passes that result in many goals for Moncton are going to be minuscule in the NHL. As for the goals where he blatantly overpowers defenders and backchecking wingers, there won't be as much of that in the NHL either. Both Sonne and Grachev saw their scoring chances dwindle because they heavily relied on these scoring approaches. Does that mean Jaskin will follow the same trend? No, but it is definitely worth considering.

There is a lot to love about Jaskin's game and his development, but let's not fall in love with the guy to the point where he has no flaws.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:29 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Hypothetically speaking if we get a legit 2C and remember i'm saying "HYPOTHETICALLY" Do you guys think that a third line of jaskin/ berglund/ Rattie in three years could be a good line? I like the mix of power, defensive play and scoring ability that all three could possibly bring to the table if they keep working hard and are able to take there games to the next level. I'm not looking for answers like NO THAT WOULDN'T HAPPEN WE HAVE STEWART ETC... I just wanna know if you think that combination in a few years could have good chemistry and maybe be an effective line. I know it's WAY to early to really tell. I just wanna see your guys opinions and thought on how rattie and jaskin could progress and what kind of players you think they could be 3 years down the road

Old
01-31-2013, 05:45 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
Hypothetically speaking if we get a legit 2C and remember i'm saying "HYPOTHETICALLY" Do you guys think that a third line of jaskin/ berglund/ Rattie in three years could be a good line? I like the mix of power, defensive play and scoring ability that all three could possibly bring to the table if they keep working hard and are able to take there games to the next level. I'm not looking for answers like NO THAT WOULDN'T HAPPEN WE HAVE STEWART ETC... I just wanna know if you think that combination in a few years could have good chemistry and maybe be an effective line. I know it's WAY to early to really tell. I just wanna see your guys opinions and thought on how rattie and jaskin could progress and what kind of players you think they could be 3 years down the road
The success of a line is a fickle thing, even when you find one that works, like with McTaraeen, there is still a good chance that it will be broken up for much of the game. Its not something I typically worry about several seasons in advance.

But that line could work. My biggest complaint is that none of those guys is a natural passer, although I think that it is a strength of Rattie (and to an extent, Jaskin as well- Id call him an average passer with good vision). Bergie is a puck possessor, but IMO has weak vision and average passing ability.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:51 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
The success of a line is a fickle thing, even when you find one that works, like with McTaraeen, there is still a good chance that it will be broken up for much of the game. Its not something I typically worry about several seasons in advance.

But that line could work. My biggest complaint is that none of those guys is a natural passer, although I think that it is a strength of Rattie (and to an extent, Jaskin as well- Id call him an average passer with good vision). Bergie is a puck possessor, but IMO has weak vision and average passing ability.
I agree with you. thanks for not being a **** like alot of people are when they see post like that.

I like the name Mctaraseen also lol.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:10 AM
TK 421
Donut Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Your first problem was thinking that Sonne or McRae were legitimate scoring line players at this level.

Your second was thinking that they were standing on similiar ground at the same age as Jaskin.

Jaskin is skull****ing the Q in a way that neither Sonne or McRae ever did. Sonne put up monster points as an overager, but didn't have the physical gifts to dominate the way Jaskin does. McRae never had any season similiar to Jaskin's current one at any point period. Neither projected as a scoring line player at the NHL level with Sonne being a maybe 4th liner and McRae getting consideration only due to lack of center depth. So I'm not sure why you're trotting out these two schmucks as a cautionary tale for how Chris Stewart isn't expendable at some point.

The important thing here is that we now have a NA context for his game and data that consequently makes him easier to project as a NA pro. We'll see where it goes.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:25 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
Your first problem was thinking that Sonne or McRae were legitimate scoring line players at this level.

Your second was thinking that they were standing on similiar ground at the same age as Jaskin.

Jaskin is skull****ing the Q in a way that neither Sonne or McRae ever did. Sonne put up monster points as an overager, but didn't have the physical gifts to dominate the way Jaskin does. McRae never had any season similiar to Jaskin's current one at any point period. Neither projected as a scoring line player at the NHL level with Sonne being a maybe 4th liner and McRae getting consideration only due to lack of center depth. So I'm not sure why you're trotting out these two schmucks as a cautionary tale for how Chris Stewart isn't expendable at some point.

The important thing here is that we now have a NA context for his game and data that consequently makes him easier to project as a NA pro. We'll see where it goes.
He was only 19 that season. Same age as Jaskin right now.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:30 AM
TK 421
Donut Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
I don't think I would get too fired up about replacing Stewart either just yet. If any place he may take in the lineup, then it may be Schwartz's. Not that Schwartz is bad. Just at this point, that is the weakest link in the top 9 right now. I see no reason to start writing off a 25+ goal scorer in the NHL and your proven toughest regular player for a junior league player or one that has proven little to nothing in the NHL. I will say it again. I think Stewart nets 20 goals this year, and I will be ecstatic if Schwartz passes 15 points.
If you didn't see any reasons to write off Stewart last year, you are either blind or willfully ignorant. The guy mailed it in for most of a season last year. Besides, I merely suggested that Jaskin gives Armstrong something to think about when he considers what length of contract to give Stewart.